Kirkland Signature German Style Lager - Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation

Kirkland Signature German Style LagerKirkland Signature German Style Lager

Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation
Washington, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Troyone on 03-18-2009)

DO NOT BUY.
DO NOT DRINK
unless you enjoy drinking your own urine. I was tempted to buy this because of the price and my current financial situation dictated that it might work out with in my budget.
What a mistake...

No need to do all that fancy review $*@!

leonGomez, Jan 11, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -51%

beertunes, Jun 06, 2014
1.8/5  rDev -41.2%

Bottle three in my aunt's series of 'delicious' brews.

Vision
Solid finger of densely-packed white bubbles that dissipated after their minute of fame to a skin and collar. Body is the color of copper mixed with fresh honey, no crystallization kind of course It is ridiculously clear which betrays its dirty secret of very little carbonation. There is a single bubble that rises every few seconds but nothing more.

Bouquet
Thin yeast smell... a tad bit of bready malt. Nothing else. This is awful.

Flavor Profile
The malt that barely came through in the nose dominates the flavor. It is the wal-mart of malt flavors. Generic and upsetting. The finish is like stale bread with the funk of old nuts mashed and slathered upon it. Its a myriad of unforgettable flavors.

Oral Sensations
This at least is the saving grace of this beer. It isn't water, but it isn't that much better than it. By failing to have a full body and lingering presence, I am not forced to fully suffer this brew. Minimal carbonation allows me to fully dissect the liquid.

Conclusions
Never again. No way, no how. Can't even pay me to drink this beer. I feel like this has ruined my palate in some way. Its alcohol isn't noted, but that is what you'd expect from 5.5%.

Khazadum, Sep 08, 2010

crobinso, May 31, 2012

EricTheJew, Jan 25, 2013

SlaughteredWolf, Aug 11, 2012

Hobby, Nov 10, 2012

Jaguarkmd, Aug 01, 2013

sharpski, Feb 15, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -28.1%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Best before June 15, 2010. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the bottle.

(A)- Pours a clear caramel-like amber color. Produced an immediately dissipating white head.

(S)- A sweet corn meal & corn husk with hay.

(T)- Same as the smell. A really grass-like, almost sour hay with tons of corn meal. Bitter.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A very bitter/grassy/sweet yet sour corn thing.

(D)- Not a big fan of the bitter grass that turn almost sour. Just tastes like corn otherwise. Doesnt remind me of an oktoberfest much.

sweemzander, Apr 07, 2010

45th review on BA
Bottle to pint.

Now that the 4th bottle of this beer set has been finished. I will let my Non beer friends have these bottles. Ring the bell on round 4.

App- You know that color when you just haven't had enough water to drink in a couple days and you just say wow thats too dark. Yeah that color.

Smell- I just went to the gym. I'm not sure if it's the socks on the floor or the beer in the glass.

Taste- Please don't try to re create or call this a Oktoberfest when there are countless breweries who do it so well. Choose another style and easier style. like go after BMC.

Mouth- Its a step up from Bud light. I think I haven't had that in about 10 years so I'm sure my F.I.L will give me some of that too.

Drink- I'm done. No more, giving away the other bottles. You guys want em?

FosterJM, Nov 10, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -24.8%

A buddy left one of those multiple pack Kirkland cases in my fridge. Free beer I'm not complaining.

Look is copperish but nothing else very dull for a lager.

Smell is faint malt a bit of sweet

Taste very little anything has a fart like quality on the taste and smell.

Mouthfeel is not great either not easy drinking but not good enough to savor

Even the drinkability is bad, had high hopes for a contract brew but this did not come through.

Elimination, Sep 13, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -24.8%

I was at costco the other day and saw the kirkland beer case. $18 for a case - good I'll save 60 bucks this week drinking this beer.

The appearance is a nice looking bronze color. Good looking off white head and thin lacing.

The smell was not that interesting for such a pretty looking beer. I'll have my wife smell the next one I open she has a nose of a blood hound. If there is something interesting in the aroma it is behind the clean soap water scent.

I have to admit I did not have great expectations for this purchase. I don't know if I even had good expectations. But, I really wanted this one to be good at least. Nope, The fresh water smacks you with your first sip and all the others. Buy a case of sprite - it atleast tastes better. A slight boring hop note and a little malt note. One sip I thought it tasted like a tin cup. Another sip I thought I tasted something I had before .... water!

Mouthfeel: it does leave a little tingling on the tongue. It does leave a taste on the palate from the hops and malts that is thin and the flavor left behind is a tin cup bite.

Eat something with this or smoke but, do something while you drink this beer. It needs help. While eating pizza or a sub you could down a few of these. The watery style will refresh your palate and the food my help the taste. That is why I gave it a 3 for drinkability. By itself - I will not do again. Matter of fact the two kirkland beers I have had so far - I lost my $18 on this purchase. Not all is lost - my wife may like these beers!!!

hackmann, Feb 28, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle poured into a pint.

A: Good overall appearance. Pours a nice thick head and has excellent lacing.

S: Nice malt character reveals itself to the nose. But also a metallic hot-brake shoe smell.

T: Again, decent malty flavor up front, that is later muddled by a skunky hot metal. More noticeable as it warms.

M: Mouthfeel is average, has nice lingering finish. Slightly undercarbonated.

D: Great beer to give to a space alien and say "this is what beer tastes like." Worth trying, and give the other three bottles in the pack to drunks that show up unnanounced at your tailgate party.

HugePlume, Oct 01, 2010

TheBishopco, Dec 30, 2012

rickjane, Jun 27, 2014

Oakasfan, Jul 18, 2013
2.55/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation:
12 oz. brown long neck bottle poured into a drinking glass. Served at room/cellar (a.k.a. garage) temperature. No freshness date available.
I grew up with Costco/Kirkland Signature products, so I couldn't resist trying their new line of beer. Sure enough, it's got Kirkland's signature quality all over it.

Visual:
Golden amber body, see-through clear. Fizzy tan head that bubbled away like a diet Coke. Slight caps left behind.

Aroma:
Very soft and faint pale malt, with quite the grainy nose. Plenty of lager yeast with a hint of skunk like wet dog hair. Slight hop sourness with herbal notes hiding somewhere beneath the grain.

Taste:
Very dry bitterness dominates the back of the tongue. A flash of fruit is notable in the beginning, leading to a smooth malty profile. Slight herbal hops in the middle before going back to the dry bitterness in the finish. Medium-light body with a slick mouthfeel; slightly rough carbonation.

Overall:
A bit sloppy; no real hop or malt structure. And nothing German about this yeast strain. This is more of an American lager than a German pils. I guess they think simply calling it such helps marketing? I may pass on this in the future.
If I were to pair it with food, I'd take a stab at some baked seafood, grilled veggie sandwiches, or some hearty pastas.

Cheers!

dbmcrorie, Sep 06, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -15.7%

A friend of mine shared the Kirkland series with me. As another buddy put it, "You need better friends." Here goes.

A: Pours a clear amber color. Carbonation is evident up the glass, but the head is limpid at best despite a vigorous pour; retention is short; lacing is a pipe dream.

S: Bread, some caramel, and it seems to have a floral hop aroma.

T: Mostly caramel and bread for the majority of the taste. There is a floral bitterness in the aftertaste, which is strange because it's not evident at all before that point. It's the beer equivalent of a friend referring to a conversation you never had and insisting that you agreed to loan him $20.

M: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. Doesn't really stand out in flavor or texture or anything. A watered-down flavor.

D: Meh. When I get hard up for cash, I just stop drinking. I don't really see a point where I'd want to pick this up just because it's cheap. I'm not against drinking it if someone brings it, but I'm not enthused about this in the slightest.

Arbitrator, Aug 31, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -15%

Appearance is a dark golden amber with a thin head and no lace. Smell is very grainy, sweet bread with hops. Taste also has the grain, light caramel with a bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel has light - medium body with some viscosity and good carbonation. It could use a little smoothing around the edges to make it a little more drinkable.

Bookseeb, Oct 28, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -14.1%

Acquired as part of a variety pack at Costco; it was $19 for the 24 pack. Expectations are below average; I've had the other three and they've hovered between bad and average. Reviewed live. 12 fl oz bown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an Oskar Blues pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head of slight cream, decent thickness, and average (~2 minute) retention. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Zero lacing. Neither vibrant nor dull. A typical appearance for a festbier.

Sm: Sweet malts, pale malts. Minimal floral hopping. Barley. Clean. Slight hints of sweet cidre. An average strength aroma. Comparable to festbiers I had at Bergkirchweih.

T: Clean full barley, a sweet malt climax, and a clean smooth finish. Light hop nectar and minimal floral hopping. No yeast character whatsoever. A bit too sweet and artificially so at that. Simple. The finish is strangely perfumey and bad. No alcohol comes through. Tastes like a homebrew extract beer. Imbalanced. Meh.

Mf: Smooth, wet. Average thickness. A bit overcarbonated. Thrown together.

Dr: A mediocre festbier, and not one I'd seek out again - but probably worth the low pricetag. Better than most macrobrew lagers. An underwhelming offering from Costco. Drinkable but pedestrian.

C-

kojevergas, Dec 19, 2012

zestd, Jun 27, 2013

Mxslms, Dec 31, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

12 oz bottle into a becker.

A: Crystal clear dark gold/honey color with a modest off-white foamy head.

S: Breaded malts dominate; hops are rather muted. Clean lager aroma.

T: The breaded malts are again most forcefully present intially, although it finishes somewhat dry. German hops are a little more pronounced than in the nose, but still rather diminished.

M: Medium bodied with a creamy texture. Minimal carbonation, which was somewhat surprising.

D: This is a decent stab at a Märzen, but it's just missing too much. It's not offensive; I just probably won't be coming back for any more.

NeutroMan, May 10, 2010

KingBiscuit, Apr 08, 2013
Kirkland Signature German Style Lager from Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation