Kirkland Signature German Style Lager - Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation

Kirkland Signature German Style LagerKirkland Signature German Style Lager

Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation
Washington, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Troyone on 03-18-2009)
Ek0nomik

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured In: Snifter Glass

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear bronze and amber color with a finger of head. The head retention isn't very good, as it disappears within seconds. There's also very little lace on the side of my glass. The beer is quite effervescent though, as there are quite a few bubbles continually climbing to the top of the snifter.

Smell: The nose is malty and biscuity. It reminds me of an Oktoberfest because it seems like it has a touch of toasted reddish malt. The nose isn't jaw dropping, it's malty and clean, but that's the nature of the beast here.

Taste: The palate is quite similar to the nose. Each sip reveals lots of German malts and just enough hops for bittering and to add a little touch of flavor on the aftertaste. Notes of biscuit, toasted and untoasted malt shine through with just a little herbal hop at the end. Of the 4 beers that I had from Costco I think this one actually had the least watery flavor to it. The other 3 beers seemed to be a little watery during the tasting, but this one held its own.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer, well carbonated, and a nice creamy mouthfeel that makes it easy to sip on.

Drinkability: The last of the Costco beer. Honestly, I must say that their beers weren't all that bad. To style, drinkable and cheap.

01-13-2010 02:28:06 | More by Ek0nomik
hmk22

Awesomely average beer included in the Costco case (1 sixer of each type). I consider this the poorest or second-poorest of the 4 styles...I'm not sure what makes it a "German" style lager (despite what it says on the label) because it doesn't taste like any other German beer I've ever had. This is my 4th or 5th case of the Kirkland "house" beers and I'm less impressed each time...the price is right but they seem to to have cut corners in a way I can't really figure out. Kirkland prodcuts are generally very good quality so I'm not sure if they got overambitious or maybe the regional contract brewers aren't all up to the same standard.

01-03-2010 03:24:34 | More by hmk22
josiahschlender

Oregon

3.78/5  rDev +23.9%

The recent reviews for this beer make me wonder if quality is deteriorating, or all the brewing has switched to a different contract brewer.

The Pilsner I'm enjoying was contract brewed by "Hopfen Und Maltz Brewing Company" in San Jose, CA. I believe it's an alias for Gordon Biersch, a (underappreciated, in my opinion) brewery in San Jose that makes many of Trader Joe's beers. All four beers in the Costco mixed-pack are solid in my opinion, and the lager is no exception.

I don't drink Pilsners too often, but this one pours a rich golden color with an amber hue. Darker than any macro lager out there. Respectable white cap has moderate lasting power, and retreats to a visible ring for the duration of the drink, leaving no lace.

Grassy Noble hops dominate the nose. Even with a cold pour, they're pretty potent compared to anything in its price range. I like the authenticity of the hop aroma. I also detect some bready, biscuit malts with a hint of sweeness.

Flavor opens up those malts. Quite a bit of biscuit, just a bit of caramel sweetness at the end, competing with moderate bittering. Those noble hops leave a bit of grass at the end that I'm not sure if I like a ton. Body is medium, with a refreshing and smooth finish. A bit of a palate cleanser, living up to its lagering.

A very drinkable beer... much more substance than any macro lager I've tried. Very versatile when pairing with food, and about as cheap as you can find and craft-brewed beer. (I paid $18 for 24-pack case)

The Costco case doesn't have a super clear stand-out in my opinion, but their halfway authentic and versatile German Lager is a great reason to get it if you're looking for a decent pils.

12-30-2009 20:48:37 | More by josiahschlender
tugdriver7

Maryland

The second of the four in the (mandatory) mixed case at Costco in VA (our MD stores don't sell beer... go figure). The label says "New Yorker Brewing Co." in Utica, NY; so I'm assuming a Matt (aka Saranac) connection. That's good because if this beer is any indication of quality (and Matt is involved so it can't be bad), being able to get craft brew for less than $4.75 a six pack is almost ridiculously cheap. But sometimes you get what you pay for.

I shouldn't have started with the Amber (the best of the bunch). This was a let-down. Wan yellow/gold in the glass with spritzy carbonation and a 1/2 inch head that disappeared quickly. Subtle malt with a bit of cardboard skunk in the nose, and the taste was a tad sweet then fruity, finally ending with a somewhat astringent aftertaste. Just didn't do it for me. Not bad, but just enough "off flavors" to render the whole less drinkable than I expected.

12-04-2009 21:10:31 | More by tugdriver7
Bookseeb

Washington

2.6/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance is a dark golden amber with a thin head and no lace. Smell is very grainy, sweet bread with hops. Taste also has the grain, light caramel with a bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel has light - medium body with some viscosity and good carbonation. It could use a little smoothing around the edges to make it a little more drinkable.

10-28-2009 01:19:23 | More by Bookseeb
bonkers

3.28/5  rDev +7.5%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. It pours a clear amber with a faint white head. The aroma and taste are both a bit bready, a bit sweet. The finish lingers a bit, slightply dry. The beer is light bodied and easy drinking. For me the beer was more of a light amber lager than a pilsner, not a beer I would seek out.

10-09-2009 22:53:16 | More by bonkers
dbmcrorie

Connecticut

2.55/5  rDev -16.4%

Presentation:
12 oz. brown long neck bottle poured into a drinking glass. Served at room/cellar (a.k.a. garage) temperature. No freshness date available.
I grew up with Costco/Kirkland Signature products, so I couldn't resist trying their new line of beer. Sure enough, it's got Kirkland's signature quality all over it.

Visual:
Golden amber body, see-through clear. Fizzy tan head that bubbled away like a diet Coke. Slight caps left behind.

Aroma:
Very soft and faint pale malt, with quite the grainy nose. Plenty of lager yeast with a hint of skunk like wet dog hair. Slight hop sourness with herbal notes hiding somewhere beneath the grain.

Taste:
Very dry bitterness dominates the back of the tongue. A flash of fruit is notable in the beginning, leading to a smooth malty profile. Slight herbal hops in the middle before going back to the dry bitterness in the finish. Medium-light body with a slick mouthfeel; slightly rough carbonation.

Overall:
A bit sloppy; no real hop or malt structure. And nothing German about this yeast strain. This is more of an American lager than a German pils. I guess they think simply calling it such helps marketing? I may pass on this in the future.
If I were to pair it with food, I'd take a stab at some baked seafood, grilled veggie sandwiches, or some hearty pastas.

Cheers!

09-06-2009 17:58:43 | More by dbmcrorie
Arbitrator

2.58/5  rDev -15.4%

A friend of mine shared the Kirkland series with me. As another buddy put it, "You need better friends." Here goes.

A: Pours a clear amber color. Carbonation is evident up the glass, but the head is limpid at best despite a vigorous pour; retention is short; lacing is a pipe dream.

S: Bread, some caramel, and it seems to have a floral hop aroma.

T: Mostly caramel and bread for the majority of the taste. There is a floral bitterness in the aftertaste, which is strange because it's not evident at all before that point. It's the beer equivalent of a friend referring to a conversation you never had and insisting that you agreed to loan him $20.

M: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. Doesn't really stand out in flavor or texture or anything. A watered-down flavor.

D: Meh. When I get hard up for cash, I just stop drinking. I don't really see a point where I'd want to pick this up just because it's cheap. I'm not against drinking it if someone brings it, but I'm not enthused about this in the slightest.

08-31-2009 03:48:38 | More by Arbitrator
jeffjeff1

This was an ok beer. I have had better german lagers.

Appearance- amber color, transparent

Smell- bready malt

Taste- malt

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- pretty good, can't beat the price from Costco, 15 dollars for 24 beers, 4 kinds, was quite pleased with that

07-04-2009 07:00:05 | More by jeffjeff1
originalsin

3.28/5  rDev +7.5%

A: The pour on this one was a very clear amber. A light frothy head didn't last.

S: Caramel malts are definitely there as well as some floral hop aromas that make this beer more inviting than the appearance managed to do for me.

T: Caramel malt, again. It's quite smooth and there's some hop bitterness on the finish.

I almost feel like I'm being harsh here. Maybe I don't trust these beers because they're Kirkland signature. To be fair, all of them are OK costco bbq beers. Go for it.
And, so I don't come off as being too harsh on Kirkland: buy their signature vodka. It's clean and smooth and probably the best vodka for your dollar.

05-27-2009 05:08:23 | More by originalsin
Troyone

3.75/5  rDev +23%

Pours a clear light amber color with a clear apple juice hue and minimal white head.

Caramel malt aroma with the herbal smell of hallertau.

Smooth buttery hop taste of barley grain malt.

Light bodied, buttery and resinous feel, with lively smooth carbonation.

Definite session beer the butter hop taste is not that strong.

03-18-2009 01:03:24 | More by Troyone
Kirkland Signature German Style Lager from Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation