Kirkland Signature India Pale Ale - Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation

Kirkland Signature India Pale AleKirkland Signature India Pale Ale

Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation
Washington, United States

(Beer added by: chinchill on 02-24-2011)

1.25/5  rDev -59.4%

1.3/5  rDev -57.8%

Smell: a little like a skunky near-beer. Maybe St. Pauly Girl. That's it - it smells like St. Pauly Girl after too many days in the sun.

Taste: glue from the back of a postage stamp.

So, pretty much what you'd expect from Costco brand beer. I don't care how cheap it is, you have to have standards, people.

1.5/5  rDev -51.3%

1.78/5  rDev -42.2%

Best by: Oct 23, 2011

A: Pours a amber ale with brilliant clarity. Two fingers of peanut head falls over a few moments to a sheet of the same.

S: Hmmm, malt. Sweet malts. Not really getting any hops on the nose here. Lemme try again...Nope, malt and butterscotch. Fail.

T: So, still really malty. WTF. Damn nearly an amber. The bottle says 67 IBU, I can't believe it. There just must be sooo much residual sugar that the beer tastes like sweet wheat and barley malts. Man, this is the first I've had of the 24 pack my wife convinced me to buy, and I'm not really looking forward to the rest. Okay, a few minutes in and there's a hint of bitterness on the back end.

M: Medium body with moderate to low carb. Dry finish.

O: see above. Not impressive. Not an IPA.

2.08/5  rDev -32.5%

this beer had a strong taste much like a rusty nail. and not the good kind with scotch and drambuie. very strong metallic taste overwhelmed the hops. maybe it was just this batch but even though the price was right I think it was my first and last case.

2.4/5  rDev -22.1%

2.4/5  rDev -22.1%

Serving Type- Served from a chilled 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- A dull dark amber look with a rusted copper undertone. Has about three fingers worth of tanned head that laces quite nicely compared to the other Kirkland ales.

Smell- Has a faint smell of coffee due to the roasted malts. Comparatively speaking it has an overwhelming smell of hops which isn't saying much.

Taste- Again, comparatively speaking, it has roasted malted flavor with the slightest hint of sweetness. The aftertaste is an overwhelming bittering flavor that takes over the experience and leaves a bitter tinge in your mouth.

Mouthfeel- Has a moderate amount of carbonation that dissipates rapidly. Medium bodied, like all IPA's it has a small bite and not a very crisp finish.

Overall- I'm not an enormous fan of IPA's so take this review for what you will. I bought a variety pack from Costco because it looked interesting and, well, I was curious to see what kind of beer Kirkland Signature produced. Considering that it just might be the most inexpensive beer that I purchased in a long time, it led up to my expectations. Compared to most IPA's however, it wasn't all that impressive.

2.58/5  rDev -16.2%

From notes.

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark amber. Agressive pour yields a one finger creamy tan head. Good looking beer.

S: Citrus hops first then balanced out by malts. Not very fragrant and actually kind of flat.

T: Malty up front with very mild hop bitterness. Not as hoppy as I would expect from an American IPA. More malts in the finish.

M: Smooth. Medium to light body with moderate carbonation. Good drinkability.

O: When I pick up an IPA I am looking for something with a good hoppy character. This beer misses that mark significantly. It's not a bad beer but just is not what I would consider a good IPA. If it were offered to me again I would not turn it down. I will not be seeking this one out.

2.63/5  rDev -14.6%

So here we are, down to the last of the four varieties from the Kirkland sampler case. I drank my way (with just a very wee bit of help) through most of the case last weekend camping but held four back, one of each, for an official review. I've got to say though, that each and every one of them irritated me during the camping trip, but I had chalked that up to the Yeti's, Arctic Panzer Wolves, Surlys and Bells that were intermixed. But I digress.

The appearance is good. It looks like an IPA, it's a darker shade of orange with a finger of tawny head that hangs in there and leaves decent lacing.

The smell, what smell?? Faintly floral at best. What's the deal with these Kirkland beers and lack of odor? JHC

The taste is malt forward, think biscuits, then a washing of bitter, floral hops, with a bit of funkiness I can't place. The finish is bitter and dry but mildly unpleasant.

Overall, hmm..cheap beer or good beer..your choice.

Kirkland Signature India Pale Ale from Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation