Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Barking Squirrel Lager - Hop City Brewing Co.

Barking Squirrel LagerBarking Squirrel Lager

good

Hop City Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Viggo on 11-16-2009

Barking Squirrel is a 5% ABV amber lager with a distinct rich burnt orange colour and subtle noble hop aroma. Its medium body, pleasant hop bitterness and caramel malt sweetness makes it smooth and drinkable with a slight hop aftertaste.

Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Hop City Brewing Co's Barking Squirrel Lager last week for $1.69 at Boyne Country Provisions. I've never heard of this brewery before, but I thought I would give them a try and i figured I would start off with their Lager, so lets see how it goes. No visible Bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name, but the hop on the label makes me think this beer might be a little hoppy, it's eye catching. It poured a fairly clear amber color that took on more of a copper color when held to the light and it had a finger and a half worth of bubbly slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with the a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show and they impart a grainy, toasted, caramel malt and very light sweet malt aromas with the toasted and caramel malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some clean lager yeast aroma with a very slight nutty aroma with no hop presence. This beer had a nice aroma, but I was hoping there would be a little bit of hops.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some of that clean lager yeast followed by a very slight nutty flavor. On the finish there's no hop presence with no bitterness and it had a clean malty aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Lager, but I think a little hops would have provided some nice balance to this beer.

M- Smooth, clean, fairly crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a Amber Lager, it had pretty much everything that I look for in the still, but I still wish it had just a little bit of hops to provide some balance to this beer. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, fairly crisp, not filling at all and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but I think I would start to get bored with it after a couple, but if I wasn't concerned with taste I'm sure I could drink more than a few of them. What I like the most about this beer was how true to style it was and the mouthfeel, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was that there wasn't any hop flavors and aromas, I think a little hops would help this beer out a little and provide a little bit of balance to it. I might by this beer when looking for a nice Amber Lager, but it isn't something I just have to keep stocked in my fridge, but I do recommend it if you enjoy the style. All in all I thought this beer was nice, but there's a little room for improvement and I think with just a little work this could be a pretty tasty and memorable Amber Lager. This made for a decent first impression for Hop City and I'm interested in trying more of their beers. I think it's one of the better Amber Lagers I've had. Nice job guys, keep up the solid work. (3,410 characters)

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #71 (December 2012):

In the wide world of lagers most are of the same ilk, very refreshing to see lagers of another color. Barking Squirrel is an interesting beast, on one side it retains all of the true lager qualities but the other side shows some rawness but stays clean. Another factor that makes this a good thing is that the brand is owned by Moosehead Brewery which is independently own. Oh yeah, we almost forgot … tallboy cans rule.

STYLE: American Amber Lager
ABV: 5.0%
AVAILABILITY: Year-round

LOOK: Clear copper hue, head shows off

SMELL: Biscuity, husky, clean, spicy woody hop, leather, faint caramel

TASTE: Very biscuity, clean, moderate sized body, light hop character, dried grass, toasty, mildly citrus, walnuts, very dry finish (787 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Nice caramel hint, solid Amber (30 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Snooty Fox in Hamilton.

Poured a pale amber-golden hue. About a half inch of foamy white head, decent lacing and retention.

Nose is caramel, slightly off hops, malt.

Not bad, certainly drinkable. A decent blend of malt and caramel, with a fruity hop finish. Not exactly the flavor I was looking for, but it did alright. Thin, a touch watery, but with average carbonation to prevent the beer from feeling syrupy.

I could certainly have a few of these in an evening, although there wasn't much going for it that I haven't seen in other Ontario red lagers (Creemore, for example). Wasn't bad, but by the end I was enviously eyeing my brother's Hoegaarden bucket. Next time... (691 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can, this beer is a very nice, rich, golden colour; slightly more amber/red in colour than a standard lager. Very light, refreshing, lager taste with a tad more hop taste (but not much) than most lagers. A little too carbonated than most beers, but a clean taste and a little bitter aftertaste.

Would I buy it again? Yes, and have numerous times. (361 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.9%

Nose: initially some graham cracker and hop spice joined by rich malt and grain aromas. Pours brilliant chestnut tinted dark amber to burnt umber under a 1” frothy off-white foam cap that produces clingy lace. A big malt palate hints of movie theater popcorn butter that is quickly replaced by malt and grain spiciness with traces of anise and a light tart touch. After a few sips the popcorn butter becomes more toffee-like. It drinks very creamy and satiating with medium carbonation. (488 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%

From notes:

Appearance: light amber, caramel colour; big thick head that lasts; clear

Aroma: minimal, some sweet fruit (orange); hint of caramel

Taste & Mouthfeel: smooth with slight creaminess, not usual crispness of a lager; mild carbonation which is surprising; clean taste with hint of a bitter finish, like citrus peel; some caramel again; not overly sweet, but could see it getting overwhelming after a few; flavour lingers

Overall: more complex than the average lager, but lacking some hop balance and as a result gets tired (535 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Barking Squirrel Lager from Hop City Brewing Co.