Barking Squirrel Lager - Hop City Brewing Co.

Barking Squirrel LagerBarking Squirrel Lager

Hop City Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.00% ABV

Barking Squirrel is a 5% ABV amber lager with a distinct rich burnt orange colour and subtle noble hop aroma. Its medium body, pleasant hop bitterness and caramel malt sweetness makes it smooth and drinkable with a slight hop aftertaste.

(Beer added by: Viggo on 11-16-2009)
3.5/5  rDev +2%

jpd7374, Dec 08, 2012

THEGENERALISMO, Dec 03, 2012

graybayou, Dec 03, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +29.2%

I found this beer to be a pleasant surprise...a larger with real legs.

I would typically recommend it to those seeking out a more flavorful beer that can stand on its own vs. accompanying food. Two cans in and I found I wasn't hungry!

Looking forward to seeing other brands from them.

DaveGold, Nov 26, 2012

pogoowner, Nov 25, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured from a can, this beer is a very nice, rich, golden colour; slightly more amber/red in colour than a standard lager. Very light, refreshing, lager taste with a tad more hop taste (but not much) than most lagers. A little too carbonated than most beers, but a clean taste and a little bitter aftertaste.

Would I buy it again? Yes, and have numerous times.

NilocRellim, Nov 25, 2012

CadensDad, Nov 24, 2012
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Nov 22, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

At first I questioned the appearance of can but after trying Barking Squirrel I enjoyed it as it was a beer that went down smooth. I find that some beers drink heavy and leave you feeling bloated, with Barking Squiirel I did not experience that. I found it to be similar to Creemore, another beer that I enjoy.

LDOBSON, Nov 21, 2012

Analog_kid, Nov 10, 2012

foureyedgeek, Nov 06, 2012

cfalovo97, Nov 06, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -32.9%

pint can into snifter. not exactly sure what the coding on the bottom of the can means...

A: clear amber hued body. slightly off-white head with great retention. lacing is good as well.

S: oxidized. very malty. the use of the crystal malt is obvious and very present.

T: sweet caramel dominates the body. the sugar is a bit astringent. and cloying. body is seriously lacking as i find it a bit watery.

M: moderate amount of fizz. light/medium-ish body.

D: i wouldnt hate to see some more hops here Hop City. i actually wish this beer wasnt this big as it is a bit hard to sip. boo, pass.

Jimmys, Nov 03, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +2%

jniagar1, Nov 02, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

Hessian257, Nov 02, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -21.9%

I tried to like this one but it has some problems for me. Appearance is pale, Smell is sour. Taste starts out ok tasting like a typical lager.... but the more one drinks the more it has this inescapable nasty finish that builds. If it weren't for the finish I wouldn't mind the beer so much. but that kills it for me. Overall I have to say the squirrels bark is worse then it's bite.

hdofu, Oct 27, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

A 16oz CAN into a pint glass.

Barking Squirrel Lager looks the part with a mild shade of bronze with some light gold balanced within. The hed is off white and tight looking leaving minor cling. Smell is a typical lager, the malt is front and center, some grassy appeal, caramel and I don't get ANY hops, either way I classify this more as a lager than a red ale. 24IBU's is low IMO, so don't go looking for a hop fix although the CAN may fool you with the graphic on it. The taste is pure lager, with grain balancing out with caramel and crystal malt. I guess there is some hops used, but they aint reaching my tounge. Feel is in between light and medium, for 5%, I expected a lighter body. Not bitter at all while the carb is felt. This will be in the runnings if I need a quick lager fix from the CAN if Im hiking.

BARFLYB, Oct 25, 2012
Barking Squirrel Lager from Hop City Brewing Co.