Barking Squirrel Lager - Hop City Brewing Co.

Barking Squirrel LagerBarking Squirrel Lager

Hop City Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Viggo on 11-16-2009

Barking Squirrel is a 5% ABV amber lager with a distinct rich burnt orange colour and subtle noble hop aroma. Its medium body, pleasant hop bitterness and caramel malt sweetness makes it smooth and drinkable with a slight hop aftertaste.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barking Squirrel Lager Alström Bros
3.56/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Poured vigorously from the can. Looks awesome! So much head and no bubbly soda look. Looks great so far! Deep amber color is making my mouth water already.

S - And here we go! Sniffing...smelling...not getting anything? Wow, I don't know if it was a bad can or something, but it doesn't really smell like anything...

T - Beautiful taste for a beer I thought was gonna be bad because it was only $6.99! Has a rich amber lager taste with a nice hoppy bite! The hops! Pretty intense for a beer that's relatively far away from IPAs on the beer scale.

M - Smooth and velvety. The head adds great texture to it, but other than that, just kinda average.

O - Not bad! Very good beer for the money! Can't wait to see what Hop City has up its sleeve next!

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

3.73/5  rDev +8.1%

My second review, and as with my first, bare with me. I don't reach for a lager when I want a good brew, but tonight when I asked the bartender for something different, he handed me this tall 16 ounce can. I poured the beer into my glass, and an average pour produced about two inches of thick white head. The color was a bit darker than an average lager and allowed less light through. The beer gives off a typical lager aroma - a metallic hoppy smell. The taste is what sets this drink apart. For a lager, I found the flavor sweet, starting with a toffee taste and migrating to a typical lager blend of malt and hops. That initial rush of sweet toffee really drew my attention, however. The body was also nice. I found the mouth feel to be a bit thicker than the average style - still light bit teetering on medium bodied. Overall, if I ever find myself with a hankering for a lager, this beer would absolutely do the trick. It doesn't rewrite the style. Rather, Barking Squirrel Lager serves as a nice edition in any lager lover's library.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

4.42/5  rDev +28.1%

I found this beer to be a pleasant surprise...a larger with real legs.

I would typically recommend it to those seeking out a more flavorful beer that can stand on its own vs. accompanying food. Two cans in and I found I wasn't hungry!

Looking forward to seeing other brands from them.

4.16/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can, this beer is a very nice, rich, golden colour; slightly more amber/red in colour than a standard lager. Very light, refreshing, lager taste with a tad more hop taste (but not much) than most lagers. A little too carbonated than most beers, but a clean taste and a little bitter aftertaste.

Would I buy it again? Yes, and have numerous times.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.32/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At first I questioned the appearance of can but after trying Barking Squirrel I enjoyed it as it was a beer that went down smooth. I find that some beers drink heavy and leave you feeling bloated, with Barking Squiirel I did not experience that. I found it to be similar to Creemore, another beer that I enjoy.

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

1.75/5  rDev -49.3%

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Barking Squirrel Lager from Hop City Brewing Co.