Barking Squirrel Lager - Hop City Brewing Co.

Barking Squirrel LagerBarking Squirrel Lager

Hop City Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.00% ABV

Barking Squirrel is a 5% ABV amber lager with a distinct rich burnt orange colour and subtle noble hop aroma. Its medium body, pleasant hop bitterness and caramel malt sweetness makes it smooth and drinkable with a slight hop aftertaste.

(Beer added by: Viggo on 11-16-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barking Squirrel Lager Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

1.75/5  rDev -49.1%

2.3/5  rDev -33.1%

pint can into snifter. not exactly sure what the coding on the bottom of the can means...

A: clear amber hued body. slightly off-white head with great retention. lacing is good as well.

S: oxidized. very malty. the use of the crystal malt is obvious and very present.

T: sweet caramel dominates the body. the sugar is a bit astringent. and cloying. body is seriously lacking as i find it a bit watery.

M: moderate amount of fizz. light/medium-ish body.

D: i wouldnt hate to see some more hops here Hop City. i actually wish this beer wasnt this big as it is a bit hard to sip. boo, pass.

2.68/5  rDev -22.1%

I tried to like this one but it has some problems for me. Appearance is pale, Smell is sour. Taste starts out ok tasting like a typical lager.... but the more one drinks the more it has this inescapable nasty finish that builds. If it weren't for the finish I wouldn't mind the beer so much. but that kills it for me. Overall I have to say the squirrels bark is worse then it's bite.

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

A 16oz CAN into a pint glass.

Barking Squirrel Lager looks the part with a mild shade of bronze with some light gold balanced within. The hed is off white and tight looking leaving minor cling. Smell is a typical lager, the malt is front and center, some grassy appeal, caramel and I don't get ANY hops, either way I classify this more as a lager than a red ale. 24IBU's is low IMO, so don't go looking for a hop fix although the CAN may fool you with the graphic on it. The taste is pure lager, with grain balancing out with caramel and crystal malt. I guess there is some hops used, but they aint reaching my tounge. Feel is in between light and medium, for 5%, I expected a lighter body. Not bitter at all while the carb is felt. This will be in the runnings if I need a quick lager fix from the CAN if Im hiking.

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts and grains. Taste is also a bit on the mild side, some malts, lightly hopped, easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a refreshing but somewhat bland beer.

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Pours pretty great, typical amber lager look with a 1/2 inch of head and surprising level of sticky lacing.

S - Smells clean with little lager skunk, hardly no hops, and a touch of caramel and toffee malt.

T - I really wanted to like this but the finish reminds me of a skunky pilsner. The beer overall is not bad with a decent level of sweetness and is smooth. I prefer Straub's amber lager.

M - Light to medium easy to finish.

Overall I didn't know what to expect with this. With so much hop reference it wasn't very hoppy and the flavor wasn't ground breaking. Not bad just a step up from your typical american amber lager.

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

I really wanted to like this beer more than I actually did. This is a very ordinary lager beer. It has your typical light yellowish hue, extra carbonation, malty feel, and a great deal of foam and lace. This beer is average in every sense of the word. Buy a single can before you commit to a 4 pack or a case.

3.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Attractive enough as is pours a clear amber with a steady two fingers of head that had good retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Clean lager aroma that is a balance of pale malt and German hops. A little bready and cracker-like with spicy, peppery hops.

The flavor is also balanced and clean tasting. Not the most exciting beer but I guess it is not this beers purpose. Just a little more bready and caramel malt than a pilsner. Some hop flavor but I would of liked some more to excite the palate more. Could of used a little more bitterness as well. Finishes semi-sweet.

Body is on the lighter side but feels weighty enough for a 5% ABV lager. Is nicely carbonated. Lively without being harsh.

Good for what it is. A simple easy drinking beer. I would prefer Boston Lager being at the same price point. I see this comes in cans as well. Why did they send us bottles then? Seems like a stupid idea.

4.95/5  rDev +43.9%

As a middle-atlantic resident, when I ask for a lager I get a Yuengling, but I wish I got a Hop City Barking Squirrel instead (this is close to a sin for a guy who lives close to PHL!). Love the dark brown color and pleasant hint of caramel oders of this beer. A definite must have for any fan of lager. My favorite part of the beer is the smooth robust finish. This is a must add to the list for any beer drinker. I've never heard of Hop City before and now I look forward to the next beer release from them (at least one that reaches Delaware!).

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Barking Squirrel Lager from Hop City Brewing Co.