Sleepy Dog Wet Snout Milk Stout - Sleepy Dog Brewery

Sleepy Dog Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: t0rin0 on 03-21-2011

A dark, rich, aromatic, and malty specialty. Rottie fans tend to be pushy and territorial, so under no circumstances should you steal their bar stool.
to view more.
Ratings: 62 | Reviews: 16
3.89/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Fantastic Beer. A mild hit of carbonation and hops in the beginning, then a burst of milk stout pleasant flavor in the middle and a very pleasant after taste aftertaste that almost reminds me of the smell of a home cooked roast for some reason. .

3.28/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, char, and slight lactose aromas. Taste is much the same with dark fruit, cocoa, char, and slight cookie dough flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is drinkable, but nothing all that memorable with the aromas or flavors.

Serving type: bottle.

i usually go for this when im at lost leaf ..

Taste: Excellent smooth roasty notes
Pour: good Pour really dark, you can see the roasted color that it was meant to be.. good head on it when poured right
Mouthfeel: silky, roasty, chocolaty
finish: smooth silky and excellent

4.02/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a lovely black with a reddish hue to it. It's actually a bit devilish in that you think you see that lovely red and then you don't. Fat creamy head of chocolate colored foam that falls fine and leaves a good layer of bubbles and lace to look at as you drink. Nose is a bit of bread. Rich dark bread with a baked grain sweetness on it. Sweet chocolate and a bit of morning coffee. There's a dark fruit in there too. Drinks like a charm. It has an expansive mouthfeel but with the lower abv it drinks relatively light. The roast is a bit dry and a touch bitter. it has a light faint bit of dark fruit on the palate but not as strong as it is on the nose. Same with the chocolate. On the nose it's a touch sweet and in the drink it's more like cocoa powder which is not in itself sweet. This one has a taste like dark bread with the crusts. A baked sweetness that is not sugary. A bit of carbonation takes it gently over the palate and it finishes dry and that is where the lactose sweetness and the chocolate combine for a touch of milky sweetness. A brisk dry finish with a bit of mild morning coffee and only the dryness and the crusty bread lingers. Excellent!

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

No sour porters for me. I'm moving on to a milk stout from Tempe. Comes in a 22 ounce bottle. On to the beer:

A half-inch of head rests on top this obsidian/red hued beer. Creamy whisps of lace stick to a few spots around the glass. The aroma of chocolate malt balls makes much of the aroma, and there's a "plain" sweetness which I can't put my finger on. Overall, the aroma is not very strong, but it is interesting.

What I taste is decent. Unsweetened chocolate is the dominate note of this milk stout. A kiss of raisins offers a distraction from the chocolate. Just a dash of bittering hops at the end cuts through the overall sweet nature of the beer. While it's not a beer I feel in love with, it did help me forget the agony of Dark Knight Porter.

4.59/5  rDev +30%

I bought this because I have only tried maybe 4 different breweries Milk Stouts and I wanted to try more. I was amazed with this one...the best I have had so far.

Poured into a Scottish "Noser" Glencairn Whiskey Glass.

Appearance- Dark, silky, with just a thin film. Plenty of lace.

Smell- Vanilla, with a hint of roasted coffee aroma. A slight fruity smell I cant identify and a very definite bread like smell, almost like I was walking into a bakery after hours.

Feel- Smooth at first, with just a little carbonation, light tingly sensation on the tongue and roof of mouth, presumably from foam settling in mouth. The sip ends on a very smooth, and easy note, the texture is just as smooth as it should be.

Taste- This is brew is definitely a milk stout, and although it is not that strong it IS full flavored and surprisingly flavorful. It has a very appealing vanilla-like taste to it that seems to blend in perfectly with the smooth, creamy and rich taste of roasted bean. There is also a very faint chocolate note that I swear I taste in every sip. The alcohol, "feel" I guess is the appropriate term since I cant really taste it, fades out quite quickly at the end leaving me with a satisfied feeling after tasting as much as I could on each sip.

All in all, I am definitely buying this beer again whenever I see it, thoroughly impressed here. I will take this any day over my go to Milk Stouts "Left Hand". This has become <so far> my new favorite Milk Stout.

3.37/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Sampled on tap at Sleepy Dog; March 2011
Arrives with a blackish color and a full tan colored head. There is a sweet, roasted, dark chocolate aroma to this beer and it finishes with a toasted grain character. There is a weirdness, wrapped up in a fruitiness that took me a bit of time to fully realize; it is sort of raisin like, but not really and I am not sure how to describe it.

There is a cola like note to the flavor, as well as a toasted grain character that is quite noticeable. This toasted note has lots of whole-grain chewiness to it and the beer finishes on the sweet side. This would be quite quaffable if it wasn’t so sweet as there is just enough body to this beer to linger lightly on the palate, but not so much that this isn’t an easy drinking beer. The roast flavors kick in lightly, but mostly this beer has a toasted grain / malt focus.

Surprisingly not roasted, I would almost characterize this as more of a Porter than a Stout. Not half bad though.

2.77/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

You can't fault the nice foam on pouring into the Stella Artois tulip. Dark brown color. Lots of carbonation in the mouth. Not much of any aroma. Some grainy dark flavors, and that pretty much tells the story.

Medium body. Just a hint of sweetness, and not enough to suggest a Milk Stout taste. A flat grain flavor with a surprisingly dry sensation. Starts out like a bland sort of dark, but ends on an unpleasant note, something like fig jam with aspirin. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Olive Tree Market in San Diego.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours out black in the glass with ruby red highlights light tan head that does stick around.

S: A nice creamy milk chocolate a light touch of coffee a good healthy amount of that lactose sugar.

T: smooth and drinkable beer here. hints of milk chocolate and coffee and a light creamy texture. Nothing bad to say, just not one that gives a wow factor.

M: I wish it had lower carbonation and a bigger body.

O: Not bad at all, go out and try this one if you are in the mood for a stout. Seems like they had some kinks to work out as a lot of the early reviewers point out. The thing is they are just starting up so don't be so hard on them. This is a nice drinkable beer with no major technical flaws at least the bottle I had.

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet.

A: Opaque black color showing dark brown light transmittance at the edges, with a nearly continuous residue of mocha-tinted bubbles. Scant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Dark fruit is slightly spirituous while lesser chocolate defines the roasted qualities that are present. It lends a slightly sour quality in the nose.

T: Begins off-dry, with roasted malt that is almost immediately unctuous, but restrained. Flavors are nutty and with carbonic acidity into the middle. Mild unctuous roast continues, becoming fairly dry by the finish where bitterness is understated and a trace of baking spices are detected.

M: Medium viscosity, smooth but a little loose on the palate, with low carbonation.

D/O: This is an average stout, unremarkable as either a milk or export type. The smell is not particularly convincing, while the flavors seems both overly timid and slightly disjunct. It is far from being undrinkable, but it does not inspire one to hurry out for other products from this brewery.

2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured into a frosty glass. Dark brown head that dissipates slowly and leaves minimal lacing. Appearance is very dark brown with reddish tint. Mouthfeel is smooth with a wee bit of carbonation that lingers on the tongue. Taste is smooth and fruity in nature. Overall this is an okay beer. Not too fancy but good for a local brewery.

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Ultra carbonated. Body is dark brown with light brown or tan highlights. Head is a massive three fingers and light tan in color and frothy in appearance. Lace doesn't appear to want to play today.

Smell is of light roasted coffee and some light chocolate smells. I am actually pulling some bread from this. Kind of out of place. Also some tart fruit.

Taste is all tart sour cherries. This might actually be infected. I can't even come close to finishing this.

Mouth I can't tell. I really can't even put any more of this in my mouth.

Overall I was a little excited to try this one. The appearance and smell were right on for the style but then I had to put it in my mouth. I am serious when I say that I think this is infected. I really don't think any head brewer anywhere would be looking for this taste in the end. I had this brewers Hefe a couple of days ago and enjoyed it, even though I can't stand wheat beers. Thanks to Kevin for this sample. This possible infection might explain why the first sample I received exploded in the afternoon heat.

Edit: I am positive I had an infected bottle of this the first time around. I have just tried a fresh bottle and am going to change my scores for Taste, Mouth and Overall accordingly.
Dated 10/13/13

3.62/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am not sure why people are slamming this beer. Dark Mahogany-mocha head that dissipates and leaves a light covering over surface. Minimal lacing. Chocolate coffee, malts, nutty- perhaps even hazelnut taste. Goes down easy, gets better as it warms, and is relatively light on the palette for a stout. Not bad at all- I like the flavour mixture.

2.39/5  rDev -32.3%

Sleeper hit brewery Sleepy Dog has finally started distributing bottles to the Phoenix market. This is my first experience with any of their beers in this format. Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

Not quite black, with the faintest hints of amber at the edges. A one-finger head of mocha fizz snaps and pops loudly, disappearing quickly and leaving a medium-sized ring behind.

In the nose, I get very tangy dark chocolate and lots of lactose. Perhaps some hints of coffee as well.

The taste is equally overpowered by whatever lactose they chose to throw in here. I can’t call it milk, because it’s so tangy. There’s the lightest hint of dark chocolate and some cola. Maybe it’s overly hopped as well? I really can’t tell what’s wrong, but I know something is. Hints of peanuts emerge as it warms.

Medium-high carbonation and a pretty good amount of fizz. The slightly watery body is just a shade above light. There’s no alcohol and the finish is mostly clean, though that tang does linger between sips.

Overall, it’s just not a great example of the style. Too tangy and without enough roast to back it up.

2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

Sampled at the brewpub 3/26/11.

App - dark brown, clear with a tan head.
Aroma - lightly toasty with bready malt and some sweetness.
Flavor - thinnish dark malt with some coffee, and sweet. Maybe a touch of hops, and some sourness that is out of place.
Mouthfeel - thin with sourness and fizzy carbonation.
Overall - drinkable but not exciting. I think it could use more malt and more roast. The sourness in the flavor needs to go away.

2.4/5  rDev -32%

Sampled at the brewpub 3/4/2011.

Pours dark brown, not quite black, clear, beige head, decent lacing. Kind of light for a stout but otherwise fine.

Aroma is roasted nutty brown, with some extra sugar and caramel.

Flavor is roasted, surprisingly light on the milk/lactose, oddly full of bubblegum and caramel. Overall kind of crummy.

Light body but drinkable.

Ƭίcƙ.