2011 Vintage Oak Aged Ale (Barrel No. 95) - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

2011 Vintage Oak Aged Ale (Barrel No. 95)2011 Vintage Oak Aged Ale (Barrel No. 95)

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: samEBC on 10-25-2013)

Halluxone, Yesterday at 11:11 PM
4.55/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beersnake1, Yesterday at 03:29 AM
4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

4A: Nut brown, with good head.

4S: Lactic acid. Rich fruit. Acidic.

4T: Surprisingly sweet. Creamy-rich-sweet. Maraschino, wood, and a sharp, acidic finish.

3.5M: Smooth and pleasant. A bit flat.

4.25O: Really exceptional. A bit mellower than the Grand Cru. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Recommended.

AgentMunky, Sep 14, 2014

Farnswurth, Sep 02, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

mattfancett, Sep 01, 2014
4.4/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a bottle of Rodenbach's 2011 Vintage Oak Aged Ale, Barrel No. 95 a couple months ago for $18.99 at The Lager Mill. I've really been getting into the sours lately, but I haven't had many that had a decent amount of age to them and I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml corked, caged and foiled bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks nice, it's got a clean and classy look to it, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice mahogany color that took on more of a crimson color when held to the light with about two fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with a sour fruit aroma being the first to show up, there seems to be some nice berry and cherry like aromas coming through with a medium amount of sourness. Up next comes a pretty light red wine vinegar aroma that goes right into the oak which imparts a nice woody aroma. This beer has a very nice aroma that seems to be right inline with the style.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the sour fruit aspects still being the first to show up and they impart a great mix of berry flavors with everything from raspberries and cranberries showing up along with a good amount of tart cherries that lead right into a medium amount of sourness. There might be a slight red wine vinegar aroma, but it's a little more just like red wine and it leads right into the oak which imparts a light woody and oak like flavor. On the finish the sourness lingers a little with a great fruity berry aftertaste. This was a great tasting beer, it never got overly sour and the fruity flavors were great.

M- Smooth, a little refreshing, not too acidic, fairly crisp, slightly dry on the finish, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a great beer and I wouldn't say this is a traditional example of the style, but Rodenbach already makes a few of those and this beer does a good job at taking that idea and just running with it and I liked the intensity that it had while it still maintained some decent balance. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, a little refreshing, not too acidic, fairly crisp, slightly dry on the finish not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one glass is the perfect amount, but I don't think I would have any trouble drinking the whole bottle, but that would be my limit. What I like the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were both really nice and they were both pretty similar. What I liked the least about this beer was that the oak didn't show up just a little more, but it wasn't too big of a deal. I would buy this beer again, but for $19 it would pretty much be a special occasion beer only and I think if it was just a little cheaper I would stock up on it. I would recommend this to any sour beer fan, it's for sure worth a try. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, I was already expecting pretty good things, but this beer really played to my favor with those great fruity aromas and flavors that had a good balance of sourness to go with it. So far I've learned that these Special releases from Rodenbach have been all pretty good and I'm down to try more in the future. This isn't my favorite Rodenbach beer, but I believe it's now my second favorite and it's up there as one of the better sours I've had. Great job guys, this lives up to being called a world class beer, keep up the hard work.

StoutHunter, Sep 01, 2014

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Elicoleman, Aug 24, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

TheSleepyMonkey, Aug 23, 2014

Probably the best beer I have ever had, so this is the one and only beer I give a perfect (5.0) score. Got to have a few bottles, so it gave me the chance to really savor the complex set of flavors. Like all of Rodenbach's fine ales, this is a remarkably refreshing brew. Tart but with enough sweetness to balance things out. Could drink it every day.

Wobbly, Aug 23, 2014

adam42381, Aug 19, 2014
4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

Higuerah3, Aug 19, 2014

Chingringo, Aug 18, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

Serving: poured from a corked bottle kept in my refrigerator since purchase in late 2013.

Appearance: the beer is a shade or two lighter than the bottle it came in. Very clear with deep ruby and garnet highlights. A one-finger light brown head forms and subsides in the space of a few minutes, leaving nothing behind at all.

Aroma : well-modulated tart fruit with a dash of red wine vinegar. Faint woody note.

Taste: Sharply sour - cherries and vinegar. Acidic. Some surprisingly sweet but indistinguishable malt. Slightly bitter (woody?) but more tart on the lingering finish. If this were any more sour, it would not be as drinkable as it is, but it is a finely balanced brew.

Mouthfeel: slightly thin and under-carbonated, though this is not totally unexpected due to the beer's age.

Overall: very nice variation on the Rodenbach formula. Glad to have had it but not in a hurry to track down another one.

charlzm, Aug 17, 2014

lgmol, Aug 16, 2014
4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

frlrv1020, Aug 15, 2014
2011 Vintage Oak Aged Ale (Barrel No. 95) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.