Redbach - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

RedbachRedbach

good

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-29-2004)
Reviews by erica:
4.45/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The label looks like a cute hip soda you might find in a nightclub, if there is such a thing. Suspicious for a beer, but I wanted to try it, since it combines Flemish Sour Red classic Rodenbach and cherries. Sounds like a winner to me!

Redbach poures a deep ruby red, crystal clear, with a thick light pink head. The beer is very effervescent, with constant streams of tiny bubbles rising to keep the head going for the entire glass.

Smells really great. More sour than Rodenbach, with a very fruity cherry pie scent and a little musty. Makes my mouth water. As for the taste, it is so very very good. It's actually kind of similar to New Glarus Belgian Red, but less intense and more funky. It is a perfect blend of Rodenbach and cherry juice, as the label says. A bit like a tart cherry pie, but one that's been left in a musty basement for a few days. There is also a slight metallic aftertaste, but it doesn't detract much from the rest of the goodness.

Mouthfeel is really fizzy, like soda but not so thin. Very refreshing. Drinkability for me is a 4.5, only because of the fizz. I could see it being really filling if I stuck to this all evening. Other than that, it is one of the tastiest beers I've had in a long time, and PERFECT for a hot summer night like tonight. Too simple and sweet for some, but I can't help it, I love it.

erica, Jul 17, 2006
3.6/5  rDev 0%

Man what a beautiful color this pours a deep reddish brown with a pinkish flufy head that had some staying power,aromas of sweet cherries,iron,and some musitness that carried over into the flavors.There are some complexities on the palate starts out with just a light tartness with those before musty notes and noticable iron but finishes quite sweet in wich the cherry flavors show thru most but I have to say by the half way point of the glass it got cloying wich brought down its drinkability alot.I think would be a great dessert beer and would be best drank in smaller amounts so it doesnt get overly cloying still I liked it.

oberon, Jun 21, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance – This is bright orangish-red in color with little head. The beautiful red coloring is very deep without being dense.

Smell – The cherry is there but doesn’t overpower. The Flemish character is buried underneath, but it’s not so far down that you can’t get to it. There’s a rindy kind of aroma as well like if you were just smelling a box of cherry skins without the flesh.

Taste – This definitely leans towards fruit. The cherry is big and even a bit dark, like black cherry, with just a smidgen of sour ale to it. The strong fruiting counters most of the sourness, making it more like a potent, intense fruit drink than a cherry-flavored FRA.

Mouthfeel – The big carbonation and harsh sourness of the style is virtually non-existent here, so if that has been something keeping you from enjoying a good Flanders Red then maybe this is the drink for you. It is light-bodied in between the cheeks and “holdable”.

Drinkability – The smoothness imparted by the added cherry juice and lack of any real alcohol makes this a fast drinker.

RoyalT, Jun 12, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Presentation: Green bottle, cherry on the cap, label makes it look like an alchy-pop. Purchased in East Dubuque at Family Beer and Liquor.

Appearance: Pours into my snifter a bloody amber with bright orange hues. Head is nothing but skim around the glass.

Aroma is distinctly Belgian with a healthy dose of cherries and a moderate sour/tart funky lambic/flanders red smell. The cherries smell is tart and rather than sweet. This is a very good thing in my opinion.

Taste: Faro like balance of candied sweetness and fruit tartness. Cherry flavor is similar to a New Glarus Belgian Red, just on the lighter and sweeter side side.

Mouthfeel: Sweet/tart, medium bodied, mild to no carbonation, smooth with a back of the mouth twanginess.

Drinkability: Great. I could drink a half dozen. This is my kind of fruit beer. Balanced and not too sweet. Very refreshing.

DaPeculierDane, Aug 09, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

11.2 oz bottle with a dripping cherry on the label. Pours into my glass a deep, opaque cherry red with a small bubbly light pink head on top. Looks good in the glass. Aromas start with lots of cherry right off the bat. Sourness hits the nose along with a mellow grainy malt. Not bad, but the tart cherry juice smell just overpowers a bit.

First sip brings tart cherry juiciness upfront followed by some sweetness that flows in the middle along with a hint of grainy malts. Finishes with a sweet/sour cherry kick and a touch of yeast on the way down. I can taste the underlying Rodenbach and kinda wish that was all I was tasting, but this is an interesting mix none the less.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a spritzy carbonation. Goes down easily, but in the end this one ends up seeming more like a soda pop than a beer. Overall it's tasty, but it's not something I would look for very often. I'll personally be sticking to regular Rodenbach or the Grand Cru. Thanks to northernbrews for the chance to sample this one!

orbitalr0x, Jun 08, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a ruddy cranberry color with a nice light pink head which retains fairly well. Aroma is extremely sweet smelling. Smells very much like a Jolly Rancher...cherry variety of course. Wow, yeah, VERY much like a Jolly Rancher. Taste is also the same. Cherry, slightly tart. Not as tart as the Rody Grand Cru at all. Very much an apertif beer. I woudlnt even consider this a Flander Red Ale. It's more like Kriek Lambic to be honest. Not a terrific one either. Although it does taste pleasant, Im not sure what I think about it. As stated, very sweet like liquid cherry JR. Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied and very carbonated. Finishes slightly dry. I guess it's very drinkable if you;re into candy. Any woman, or whatever, who isnt into beer at all would love this. Very accessible.

Doomcifer, Jan 27, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

11.2 ounce green bottle, with BB dating printed on the label, twist top, pours dark plummy, semi cloudy, dark pinkish fast departing head and minimal lacing. Nose is the expected, sweet, fruity/cherry nose. Sweet/sour, fruity, light and low alcohol. Not exactly what I typically look for in a beer. Sour ale notes present, but stepped on by the sugar sweetness of the cherry juice. For (almost) every beer there is a purpose. This one would work with a fruity dessert, or to try out on non beer drinkers with a light, warm weather lunch. For sour ale snobs, best to stay away from this offering.

Billolick, Sep 16, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

Okay. I got this for my girlfriend, who is just starting to like soured beers. I ended up liking this more than she did.
A: Red. Looked like soda, like a dark cherry soda.
S: Interesting. Smelled sweet, but with a twist. Not sure how to describe it, except cherry. Oversweet like cherry Jolly-Ranchers.
T: That is how it tasted, only less sweet than I thought it should be from the aroma. Very cherry, but soured just enough to knock out some of the sweetness. Enjoyable.
M: Nicely carbonated, easy on the tongue. Not much else to say.
D: Easy to drink. A little too sweet for more than one, and the cherry taste would get a little old. Really, this was more like a sour cherry/beer/soda offspring than a Flander Red.

It would be good for dessert, and since I am not a dessert fan in the traditional sense, I might reach for one of these. It was light and refreshing, but sweet also. I don't usually put those things together, but Redbach did a good job. Strange but good.

FMetzger, Apr 01, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

stereosforgeeks, Dec 17, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a brownish-red body that is clear but dense with no visible carbonation. The lacy white head on top fades to a thick ring around the rim.

S- The smell of sour cherry jam and a faint tartness in the finish has a nice fresh note to it, but no malt or other smells.

T- The sour taste of dark cherries with a faint plum note gives a brightness to the cherries. There is a faint soft brown malt flavor as the beer warms and the finish is a carbonic bite to balance the sourness.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel that might be due to the carbonation and the finish has a strong fizz texture.

D- The flavor of cherries was nice but there wasn't much in the style of Flanders or malt notes that came through. I was expecting the big sour notes from the verbiage on the bottle but it was just like drinking a slightly sweetened cherry fizz.

rhoadsrage, May 24, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

I had previously reviewed this beer based on a bottle I obtained directly from Belgium, before Redbach was released to the U.S. market. Interestingly, the original bottle I tried had the saying on it "Rodenbach hit by Kriek" while the new U.S. version says "Rodenbach kissed by cherries". This review is based on a tasting the other night of the U.S. version.

The beer poured a deep red color with some minimal white/red head in a wine glass. The body of the beer had some very active carbonation, evident by hundreds of little air bubbles running through the body. The beer has a strong aroma of sour cherries that is pleasing to the nose. I expected the taste to have a very syrupy aspect to it but I found the sour cherries in this beer to be pleasant with the trademark Rodenbach taste in there. I prefer to the Grand Cru and Red to this Rodenbach offering but it was interesting to try and I now have a further appreciation for this beer after having a good deal of Grand Cru and Red over the past few months and since my first review of Redbach. Although they do add cherry flavoring or juice to this, I think it is still very much a Rodenbach beer and a very good one at that.

ggaughan, Jul 10, 2006

Redbach

Thanks go out to Sudsdog(Ted) for this tasty beer!

A-deep reddish brown with a small foamy head.
S- tart and tangy cherries.
T- Sweet tangy cherries. Slight sugary tart grape and strawberry flavors detected as well?
M- Tart, sweet, and tangy but never too overpowering. Honestly, this is a jolly rancher in beer form.

Overall- So tasty! Excellent dessert beer.
(Thanks Ted!)

NJpadreFan, Aug 10, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Beautiful amber color with bright ruby highlights, a billowy head dissipates quickly and leaves some outer edge rimming with bigger white bubbles.

Smell: Ripe cherries, though more sweet than sour, with mild phenolic activity and funkiness. Not a lot of complexity here.

Taste: Huge burst of initial sweetness and ripe cherries, followed soon after by a metallic, phenolic mild earthiness, and finishes slightly dry at first with maybe a bit too much lingering sweetness. Though the cherry taste is fairly long on the tongue, which is also nice.

Mouthfeel: Pretty heavily carbonated and a little syrupy, and the levels could be smoother.

Drinkability: I bought a 4-pack of this, and had I known it would be like this I would've gone for the classic Rodenbach. A little too... I don't know, mainstream Flanders Red? Lacks the phenolic complexity and sourness that I really was hoping for, though I'd say for a starter beer for the style, this may be one you want to check out if you're unfamiliar thus far.

asabreed, Dec 12, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Hmmm... the cherries are definitely distinct. I like that, and I wasn't really expecting them to stand out.

But it's certainly not as tart as a fan of Rodenbach might expect. On the other hand, it's not overly sweet either, which is a huge plus.

And it's cleaner in both the flavor and the aroma. Some of the funkiness and tartness is still there, but it's far less complex, and I think it's left with a little too much acetone. Hmmm.

It's also lower in alcohol, which is OK, but it's noticeable - not that a comparison should be made between the beers, but I think that in this case it's almost required as there's really not that much to it.

The only other thing is that it looks good. I love the color and the pink head, but the retention is limited.

So, hmmmm... its interesting and unique. But taking an entirely hedonistic view I kind of like it, I kind of don't. There's not enough to it to warrant the funkiness that it's got. I'm feeling like it should be cleaner for what it is.

In conclusion, hmmm?

NeroFiddled, May 14, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Found this at Bauer Wines in Boston for $2.50 a bottle. Pulled it out at the Carolina Brewmasters Memorial Day BBQ. With a twist off cap and green bottle, I had low expectations. However, this one was very tasty and a hit to others as well. Lots of sour cherries, tart and refreshing. Red as anything. A nice surprise. Wouldn't drink a lot, but worth getting again.

Backer2004, May 28, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz green bottle into a pint glass. Label seems less traditional than others from Rodenbach, maybe they are going after a younger, club crowd? Label states brewed in Belgium 20/04/07.

Appearance: Pours with 3/4 inch pink, fluffy head. This settles into a thin layer and a ring around the glass. Head sticks to the glass as you take a glass. The beer itself is a deep pink/light red and perfectly clear.

Smell: Smells like a standard Flanders red ale with a hint of cherries and slighlty more sweet. Metallic undertones.

Taste: Significantly sweeter and less "tangy" than a standard Flanders red ale. Hardly any of the bite you normally get. Tastes of sweet cherries with a lingering mild tartness.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carbonation. Body is average.

Drinkability: Tastes like a fruit punch with only a hint of tartness. If Rodenbach was looking to grab the flavored malt beverage crowd, this could certainly do it. Very easy to drink, but is missing the complexity of Rodenbach's other offerings.

beveritt, Feb 27, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark cherry red that is highly carbonated and leaves a thin red lace that leaves this brew quickly. The aroma is cherry candy, dark fruit (figs, plum, dark cherries) with a faint vinegar sour candy backdrop. The taste starts super sweet like cherry cola, it then moves to a slight sour twang that finishes sweet and rough on the throat from the carbonation. This is a decent brew, IMO "dumbed down" with sugary sweet cherry syrup for people not accustomed to a true sour ale.

Franchise, Jul 24, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a dark cranberry-mahogany with a light beige head.

S: some sweet cherries and a tart fruity sourness.nice and simple.

T: The initial flavor was strong cherries and a big sugary fruit sweetness. Once again a very smooth, silky body with an even tartness that was easy to consume. Not a lot of complexity, just cherries and a lot of them.

M: very light, silky, smooth and moderately carbonated.

D: A recognizable sour finish with a good deal of carbonation makes this at times consume like a cherry mountain due. Good desert beer.

beerthulhu, Dec 11, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a bottle of Redbach, a very interesting take on the flanders-style ales.

Appearance: The beer pours with a vivid raspberry red color and a bit of head. The color alone is troublesome to me, as beers should't be that color of red.

Smell: The cherries dominate the nose, allowing the sour ale underneath to emerge from time to time.

Taste: The black cherries and the sour lactic flavors battle for supremacy as you drink this. The black cherries add a very sweet fruity flavor. The lactic flavors are not quite at Rodenbach pucker-up level, but one can taste them lurking.

Mouthfeel: Despite my concerns, the ale sits well in the mouth, with the alternating sweet and sour flavors.

Drinkability: While this style is not my favorite, the beer is a novel take and worth trying again.

akorsak, Jun 18, 2006

bonbini26, Jan 09, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -22.8%

The Redbach was served in a flute glass. It's a brown/red color, with about an inch head which quickly went away. It smells like sour cherries and not much else to me. The taste is pretty much like semi-sweet cherries, it's really not all that sour at all, nowhere near as sour as I expected. It's like drinking a carbonated fruit juice. It has a medium mouthfeel with a medium amount of carbonation, and a little thicker than I thought it would be. I can't see myself drinking this too often, I'd rather drink a Cherry Coke. I had higher expectations for this beer, and I admit I was let down a bit by it.

bluejacket74, May 27, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +5%

First off I must point out that this beer is a twist off which is always the sign of a quality product. Second I must thank Tom at Monk’s Cafe for giving me this so I could see what Rodenbach was adding to the lineup in lieu of Alexander.
<P>
Aroma is full of sour cherries and I have to say I found it pleasant. Color is a cloudy red with a fairly lasting pink, thumb thick head. Tastes of cherry soda with a an extra kick of cheery sweetner. Mildly musty. I’m sure I wasn’t supposed to like this, but I am a sucker for cherry ice cream, cherry coke, cherry candy and anything cherry. I liked it. It’s not very beer like. It’s extremely simple and basic...ie seek complexity elsewhere, but as a beverage it is tasty. Course I’d rather have an Alexander in my cellar than this.

Jredner, Jan 18, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottle: Poured a medium dark red with a medium pink color head with average retention. Aroma of cherries is overpowering and mostly comprised of syrup but some classic Rodenbach sourness is also noticeable. Taste is at first very similar to some of the other Belgian syrupy beer around with a not so enjoyable chemical aftertaste but I did noticed that toward the ends there is some of the Rodenbach taste I have been accustomed to. Overall, I believe this to be a classic Rodenbach with some added chemical syrup which render the experience more or less enjoyable.

Phyl21ca, Mar 09, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

The head builds quickly but ive never seen so much head dissipate so quick. A dark beer with red hues coming through.
Smells like a cherry pie, the cherries are really coming through.
This could have a good beer before they dumped half a bottle of grenadine in. This is the kinda beer that malternative fans would go gaga over.
This beer is quite carbonated. I reconsidered the drinkability realizing that the cherries are now kicking my ass the farther I get. Why ruin a good beer with the kiss of cherries as the bottle says.

naderator55, Nov 21, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Bought this for my wife to try and get her to drink a beer. She seemed to think it was ok, but still did not want to have more then one, so I decided to try it. Poured a nice reddish hue with a small off white head, lots of carbonation, some nice lace. Smell was a blast of sweet cherries. The taste was about the same, very full of cherries and quite light to drink. Great mouthfeel. Very easy to drink. I was actually impressed with this. I have tried a few other flanders reds and just was not really blown away by them, and found them a little harsh, this I could actually drink. Light and fruity are not the way I usually go, so I really wouldnt probably buy anymore, but this was pretty decent none the less

mikesgroove, Jul 28, 2007
Redbach from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.