Alexander - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

AlexanderAlexander

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001)
Reviews by davod23:
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from the bottle into my Cantillon wine glass. A good beer for Review #100.

Pour is a deep brown-gold color, with slight hints of ruby. Virtually no head, as most of the bubbles that arise were due to the vigor of the pour. Good clarity.

Smell is pretty nice, I must say. Sour cherries, balsamic vinegar, a vague sweetness. Hints of random fruitiness in there too, perhaps strawberries.

Taste is better. Very nice. Perfect balance between sweet and sour, just like a good Flanders red should be. Sweet and sour cherries, raspberries, vinegar, sweet malt. Nice balance of acetic and lactic. There's a slight bit of oxidation here, but it doesn't detract much... just adds a layer of sherry complexity.

Mouthfeel - I'm going to dock it a little bit, but not too much because of the age of the bottle. It would have been better to have a few more bubbles, which would have lightened the load considerably. As it is, it's a bit heavy on the palate... but only just.

Overall - Really great experience, honestly. This bottle is about 14 years old, I think, and it's held up really well. It's a travesty that this isn't brewed anymore, because it's probably a better beer than any other Rodenbach offering around today. If this beer is as good as I think it is when it's fresh, I would have it on hand all the time.

davod23, Mar 23, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

This was a 1985 vintage bottle sampled at La Bier Circus in Brussells, Oct 2003.

Appearance: Served in a large wine glass this beer had a deep mohagany pour with almost no head whatsoever.

Smell: The nose is just bursting with dark, ripe cherries but it seems the highlight here might be the heavy dose of dark & rich sour plums that counter-balance the cherry sweetness nicely.

Taste: A huge fruit sweetness up front highlighted again by cherry and plum. The fruity sweetness is nicely balanced by an oaky tartness and a nice acidity level.

Mouthfeel: the sweet n sour smooth mouthfeel leaves a satified palate.

Drinkability: A great beer. Like many aged beers there are similarities with fine port...dark, rich fruit. woddy notes. sweetness & tartness all at once. But to know a beer can change over time and increase in complexity is an exciting feeling.

Popsinc, Nov 06, 2003
4.85/5  rDev +8%

Presentation: 11.2 oz brown bottle with a white foiled top, no freshness date though a tart beer like this will stay for months if not years.

Appearance: Bright mahogany colour with a light tan lace to boot, sediment in the bottle stayed well packed even when the bottle was totally poured out.

Smell: Sweet aroma of bing and black cherries, big fruity tart back ground with an odd yet light tobacco smell.

Taste: Smooth on the palate with a huge puckering tartness, not sour bit tart because as soon as it comes in it leaves to let a flipside of flavours in. Tartness holds the fruit, the fruit of sweet then quickly to sour cherries that bring on the tartness. Hops are belittled and are nearly non-existent but this is par for the style. As soon as the tartness subsides a sweet vanilla flavour sneaks in with a quick flash of malt also within the undertones of earth and wood. Dry without a doubt, especially the finish and the finish is pretty clean.

Notes: This is the in comparison to what wine drinkers would want in a complex top notch wine, guess what it’s a beer. Complex is not the word for this beer, better than wine is bold and fitting.

After an eight day trip to Belgium this beer makes me feel all fuzzy and warm. Then I realize that I am in America and have to pay two to three times the $$$ for the same beer just to drink it at home and not in a warm and inviting cafe or beer bar in Brugge. :-(

Jason, Oct 19, 2001
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

I picked up this bottle in a trade about a year back. I loved the old Rodenbach and then when it came back a few years ago I was glad to see it. I had been waiting to try the Alexander for awhile and felt like last night was the time.

The beer poured a cloudy, deep brown/amber color with no head but some nice bubbles running through the body. There was a slight white island in the middle of the glass that ran away rather quickly.

The nose was a nice mix of funk and tartness, almost brandy like. The taste seemed very fresh although the bottle was a few years old. There was a nice tart and somewhat sweet mix to this beer that was excellent. The body had a bit of carbonation to it so it was not flat but not overly carbonated, seemed to be the right amount. The body was medium and the taste this beer leaves in the mouth is truely enjoyable. I wish this beer was still readily available as I would scoop up more if I could. I was expecting alot for this one and was not let down at all.

ggaughan, Mar 18, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

MrVonzipper, Nov 05, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -27.6%

leschkie, Mar 10, 2013
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Originally reviewed November 23, 2006. Crisp saltine aroma, heavy on raspberry champagne vinegar. Very refined and tawny, edges of sherry. Many dripping cherry notes, with sweet crisp juices and dry pits. Very elegant and silky, but seems a little reserved and almost too straightforward (keeping it down 0.2 in the aroma). Flavor is damn near insanity. It’s pure lubricious delight of all kinds of cherries, schaarsbeekse, montmortenci, rainier and Door County. All sweet, bright and lucious and right in front of me. So unique and rich. A truly original coalescence of creative flourish and tangy delight. The sharpy sour notes are incredibly enlightening, with blending notes of astringent fire. The palate and finish could have had a little more moment, except that ti’s sweetness paris with the crisp cutting acidit to create nice balance and increasingly dry finish. Distant hop cone thoughts. The oak really brings some nice touches of vanilla cherry sugars. Overall, a true masterpiece and a crying shame that it’s no longer produced.

CharlesDarwin, Dec 19, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Sample handed to me at RBWG by Dakine (wow that guy was looking out for me!). I believe I was told it was vintage 1998. HOLY CRAP this is awesome. Really nice red pour with a fading off-white head. Amazing sweet and sour cherries and so much more going on. Awesome.

drowland, Feb 05, 2012

stupac2, Nov 21, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -2%

This was the 2nd beer we cracked at Ditmier's weekend tasting.... Wow!! Never thought I would get a chance to try this one... Big Props Eric!!

Very clear Orange/red.... not much of a head.

Aroma is incredibly complex mix of very balanced sweet and sour... cherries come out in full force with some mild acetic character.

Flavor mirrors the nose with again a near perfect balance.... tons of cherries dominate from front to the back where a vinegar note shows and dries out... oak shows on later pours.. I wrote "red apple", but honestly don't remember that much now... maybe something to do with the sweetness and growing tannins as it really opened up.

Not alot of carbonation, but it was there and helped lean the mouthfeel toward a smoothness with just hints of bubbles that get zinged by the acids.

I could drink this stuff by the liter... there was sooo much going on, but my notes failed to get much more... thanks again Eric... Very impressive beer and impressed that you would share such a sought after wonder.

3.5/4.5/4.5/4/4.5

JohnGalt1, Mar 01, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

huge thanks to dave for opening this with me a while back, review from notes

dark red in color with a light tan head that came up to a height of around two inches before settling back down and leaving tons of lace all over the sides and bottom of the glass while never really falling much below the one inch level. The aroma was lightly tart, sour cherries, hints of earthy and spicy notes and even a touch of what seemed like brown sugar or something along those lines. Really very well done and quite complex. The flavor was a little less tart then what I would have liked but I have to admit was still done very well.

mikesgroove, Aug 27, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -8%

Thanks for opening this long-time want, Jason. I don't recall the vintage of this one; was from the '90s I believe.

Appearance: Cloudy reddish brown with a tall head that settles to a collar after a moment.

Smell: Mild nose, malty and bready with a subtle cherry element. A little acetic sourness, but it's more on the malty side. A subtle aroma overall, but pleasant. This has held up surprisingly well, I'm surprised the acetic acid hasn't taken over.

Palate: A nice mix of cherries, toasted malt and mild balsamic vinegar. Grainy, nice fruitiness. Doesn't beat you over the head with cherries, it's nicely integrated. Finishes toasty, fruity, lightly sour. A really nice easy drinking Flanders red with a subtle fruit character.

It's difficult to accurately review a beer like this in the context of a tasting, because it's a rather subtle and mild beer. If not for the rarity, I could see myself putting back a few of these in an evening.

largadeer, Oct 20, 2011
4.48/5  rDev -0.2%

I had this at de heren van liedekerke during our Europe trip. Poured from the bottle into an Alexander Rodenbach goblet. It made me laugh when I saw this bottle said best by 2000

Appearance: Pours a clear mahogany color with a half finger of fluffy off white carbonation that fades to a layer on top of the pour and leaves some lacing. Very good looking beer.

Smell: There is a slight tartness to this beer along with the sweet malt. I'm getting sour cherries.

Taste: This is a really smooth beer. There is a wonderful, natural cherry flavor throughout each sip. Sweet malt with a mild tartness. This beer is so smooth, still wonderful after all these years.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very smooth carbonation and a finish that is just a bit dry.

Overall: This beer was wonderful. The cherry and the tartness were perfect together. Still holding up after all of this time, I would absolutely have another given the chance.

oline73, May 14, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Immense thanks to Barry for sharing one of the rarer that I'd like to believe bottles still around Clear light brown, maybe a slight haze. Small sticky off-white head. Aroma is very vinous, sweet cherries in abundance, well defined with obvious oak aged character that I love. Downright excellence in here, makes you wish you could bathe in one of Rodenbach's legendary oak casks. Nose also deploys light tartness and a bit of brown sugar. Great taste, very refreshing, full-flavoured cherries, very sweet and tart at the same time. You actually feel the seeds and branches a bit which is surprising considering that they used a cherry extract to my knowledge. Tons of oak, just lovely. This is a glorious meeting, but I must confess it could be a bit drier to fit my tastes perfectly, they've already done that with the grand cru though! Great tart aftertaste with more barrel character being revealed, this seems to support age wonderfully and shows no signs of fatigue for those still holding on some bottles, wonderfully lactic still. Thin-medium body, just appropriate and supported by medium carbonation. There is no way any good reason exists and is sufficient to end the production of this fine beer. RIP Alex.

Rastacouere, Apr 05, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

DarthKostrizer, Nov 07, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -8%

Origianlly sampled 29 March 2002. Big Thanks to hoprus for this one! It pours a cloudy brown w/ a one finger head. Nicely balanced sour cherry & apple flavors lead to a crisp, dry finish. This beer, & Flemish Sour Ales in general, aren't for everyone, but Rodenbach Alexander is an excellent example of the style.

jcalabre, Jun 08, 2003
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Reviewed from notes.

Very thin head atop a clear amber body. Red-shaded, but only a little.

Aroma was of berries and cherries, and quite vinous. This was actually one of the first beers I had that had a vinous character, so unfortunately I did not get too much of the character down.

Aroma was sweet and fruity, mostly cherries but some berry character as well. Light and vinous. A touch of sourness. Overall, quite good.

Mouthfeel was light and crisp, and it gave me a little bit of a pucker. Nice.

Drinkability - I wish I had gotten several of these to lay down and try over time. Alas, at that time, I was only cellaring a few things (1994 Triple Bock, some Thomas Hardy's.)

connecticutpoet, Mar 31, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Wow, what a find. I forgot that I put this one in my parents' fridge one of the first years of college, then discovered it recently when I moved back home. It had already been refrigerated for 5 or 6 years before I got ahold of it way back then.

1996 Vintage.

Pours out of the bottle a dullish brown, much less red in color than I had expected. A surprising and flourishing head is produced, but leaves absolutely no lace or cling.

Nose is full of tart, acidic cherries.

Taste is much more of the same. This is one of those beers that I can't really add much to what the label's description offers, "tart, vinous, fruity, and with a tang".

Mouthfeel is predictably tart, and oddly refreshing for a beer of this sort. My dad said it tasted like an aged wine cooler.

Completely untouched by age. Might have held out another decade!

GreenWBush, May 18, 2006
4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

This is an excellent beer. If the news I heard about its impending lack of availability in the US is true, I'm really glad that one of my friends picked up a bottle on our last trip to Tennesse (couldn't buy the stuff in Georgia anyway since it's over 6%). The sad part was that I didn't buy any for my self. It's got a dark ruby color. Both the smell and taste are sweet, sour and very cherry. It reminds me of a fruit lambic with the tartness, actually. A very, very good beer.

aracauna, Mar 26, 2002

ygtbsm94, Jan 05, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

Have had this one several occasions now. Each time it seems to get even better. Top 10 all time beer for me. Most recently served in a Rodenbach goblet.

Pours a nice garnet color with an off white head. Nose is really, really nice with cherry, sherry, balsamic vinegar, and a bit of oaky earth. Taste is definite sour cherry, acetic acid, balsamic, oak, and some light fruitiness. Mouthfeel is quite creamy with good acidity. Drinks quite well. Never thought I would get to try this, and I'm very thrilled that I did.

Thorpe429, Oct 20, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Nice reddish color to light but more mahogany or burgundy. Full beige head with very active carbonation but no lace and low head retention. Full cherry aroma with a light tartness or sourness. Tastes full of fruit -- Very Cherry with a light sourness / very much like some krieks in fruitiness. Light airy body (champagne-like) with a tart fruity finish.

Aged - had this bottle for quite a while (2 years maybe) -- I really hope it is not extinct or comes back. ;-(

Bottle states "Belgian Red Ale"

Per M.J. - G.B.B.: R. Grand Cru with Cherry Essence

(11.2 oz. / 33 cl)

RBorsato, Sep 02, 2003
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

Cheers to Sean and Jason for providing this at my Bachelor Weekend tasting.

A - Brown beer with some beautiful red notes. Small, off white head that receded quite quickly to a ring on the sides.

S - Big ripe cherry smell that is not overly sweet, and a distinct carmel sweetness that separates itself from the cherry smell. Little bit of vinegar if you look for it.

T - Carmel sugars, with a great cherry taste. It's a sweet beer, but it's not cherry sweet, which would make it seem artificial. A very candy-like taste that manages to not be cloying at all.

M - Smooth, a little syrupy, but I think it works well for this beer. Not a ton of carbonation, medium bodied, but feels very fleshed out.

D - This is a great sipper, I think some could down this quite easily, but the sweetness in it to me makes it one you should take time with. Very good beer.

AgentZero, Dec 04, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a cloudy dark amber color with a small off-white head. Much sweeter than I had expected. Lots of caramel and maple syrup. Heavy on the cherries, a bit of Maraschino cherry note to them. Oak and oxidation are also well represented. A moderate tartness, both lactic and acetic, with an almost cherry candy (Lifesavers) flavor. Fairly substantial caramel and maple sweetness on the palate as well. Nice, especially considering the beer is 16 years old.

womencantsail, Jul 16, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

I felt it was time to open my last remaining bottle from the early 90's. It pours a reddish / copper color with a thick off white head. The aroma is extremely noticeable before the nose even approaches the glass. A unique sour cherry and mild maltiness sends the nose sensors into overdrive.

The flavor is tough to describe. A slightly tart and sour cherry flavor hits the tongue immediately, but fades to a soft malty finish. The beer seems to put a protective coating on the tongue that last for a few seconds.

The mouthfeel is tingling at the start but smooths out during the finish. The tartness / sourness lingers very softly. This was one of the best aged beers I have ever had. Truely an incredible beer.

Gavage, Feb 07, 2004
Alexander from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.