Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Alexander - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

AlexanderAlexander

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alexander Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.37/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz bottle, 1 of 2 to be opened tonight (courtesy of Sean9689 & jrallen34). Big appreciation, for a long time I didn't think I'd actually get to try this, and all at once 2 bottles show up.

It pours a reddish copper, with minimal foam after a vigorous pour. Spotty bits of wet foam on the glass.

The aroma is obscene, sweet and vinegary at the same time. Cherries, maybe other dark fruit, and sweet liqueur.

Excellent taste also, not quite like any Flanders Red I've had before. I heard they last made this in 1998, so maybe the age is slightly responsible for the difference. Nice sweet notes up front with lasting cherry and sherry in the aftertaste. I had a small pour from 2 bottles but I could have easily gone for much more. (734 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle, I think it's 1997, thanks to Jason and myself (we drank two bottles)!

A - Pours a light pink/reddish, nice thin cap, some good lacing along the sides of the glass, and some whisps on here and there.

S - Sweet cherries, caramel, slight tart/sour, some oak. The cherries are so awesome they really just take over the beer. So good!

T - Cherries, sugary sweetness, some oak, slight sour/tart notes. This is so good and I'm surely not going to be able to describe it in words. The cherry notes are just amazing.

M - Light, good carbonation, dry finish.

D - So so good. You have to be a fan of cherries to enjoy this. (630 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Cheers to Sean and Jason for providing this at my Bachelor Weekend tasting.

A - Brown beer with some beautiful red notes. Small, off white head that receded quite quickly to a ring on the sides.

S - Big ripe cherry smell that is not overly sweet, and a distinct carmel sweetness that separates itself from the cherry smell. Little bit of vinegar if you look for it.

T - Carmel sugars, with a great cherry taste. It's a sweet beer, but it's not cherry sweet, which would make it seem artificial. A very candy-like taste that manages to not be cloying at all.

M - Smooth, a little syrupy, but I think it works well for this beer. Not a ton of carbonation, medium bodied, but feels very fleshed out.

D - This is a great sipper, I think some could down this quite easily, but the sweetness in it to me makes it one you should take time with. Very good beer. (858 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Really excited to try this one. Pretty funny the $2.99 price tag is still on this one and now it is really hard to get. Wish I would have bought a lot of it back then! Pours a reddish clear color with a nice slight white head that is slow to settle. Lots of aromas in the nose, including cherry, caramel, vanilla, toffee, and vanilla. Actually smells quite sweet. The taste is really nice as well with a more sweet than sour overall flavor. Malty, grape, cherry, oak, and vanilla are all present in this one. Medium mouthfeel. Overall, I was really surprised how sweet this was for the age and also how well it has held up. Very easy drinking with no real presence of alcohol. This is a beer to try! (707 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Color is a ruby amber. Pours a decent amount of white head. Nice appearance for something so old.

Aroma: Oaky, cherries, caramel, toffee, vanilla. The smell is awesome. It is a bit sweet, but sour. I am already enjoying this one. The cherries are awesome in this beer. The vanilla sticks out a lot as well.

Taste: Sweet cherries. Not really tart or sour, but in a good way. The vanilla shows a lot with oak showing nicely. The spices round things out nicely. It has some caramel malt with a light layer of toffee. A great beer. Reminds me a bit of NG sours, but better.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends pretty clean.

Overall, this one is awesome. Very drinkable and very enjoyable. I wish I had more of this around. I am very happy I had a chance to try this one. A very nice offering from Rodenbach. (856 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +10%

Have had this one several occasions now. Each time it seems to get even better. Top 10 all time beer for me. Most recently served in a Rodenbach goblet.

Pours a nice garnet color with an off white head. Nose is really, really nice with cherry, sherry, balsamic vinegar, and a bit of oaky earth. Taste is definite sour cherry, acetic acid, balsamic, oak, and some light fruitiness. Mouthfeel is quite creamy with good acidity. Drinks quite well. Never thought I would get to try this, and I'm very thrilled that I did. (518 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -10.5%

Big big thanks to Craytonic for cracking open this elusive bugger to start off a fine tasting. Unsure of the bottling date, but it was in super good shape. Looked new, in fact.

A. Really just looks like regular Rodenbach... nutty brown-red and not totally clear. A tiny bit of head, spotty lace. No surprises.

S. Big, open, sweet nose. Balsamic vinegar, soft cherry, oak. Very complimentary. No oxidization or off notes as far as I can tell - this simply smells fresh and good, if pretty similar to normal Rodenbach, oh well.

T. Hmm... fresh? Not sure how, but this really doesn't taste aged. No sherry notes, or old must, or flatness, or raging tartness. Everything is still well balanced twixt the cherry-oak-vinegar-sweet. Flavorful, enjoyable. I'm not sure what I was expecting... but aside from being a little richer and more blended, this is pretty much a standard... oh, you get the idea.

M / D. Low carbonation, but there. Dryish finish, sweet red cherry wine, quite nice. Nothing wrong here.

A fascinating beer, and one that I want to know the provenance of. I desperately want to know how this was stored, because as far as I can tell, age has simply left this one well alone. A fine Flanders Red, but not one that I'd go out of my way to acquire again, due to the scarcity. (1,289 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Quite well carbonated, I wasn't expecting this from such an old bottle. Nice amber-red-orange color.

Smell & taste: sweet and tart with some oak notes and faint balsamic vinegar. I expected this to show some age but it does not, no funk or must. I am clueless as to how it tastes so young, being such an old bottle.

Mouthfeel: - slightly thin, carbonation perhaps depleted slightly with age.

Drinkability: Goes down very easily, although I prefer the 2007 vintage label bottle slightly. Not sure why they stopped making this! (540 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Big thanks to Sam of Stuffed Sandwich for allowing for the opportunity...

The beer poured a clear ruby-brown color without much of a head. Beer remains fizzy with bubbles running through the body of the beer. For a 15 year old bottle, there was quite a bit of carbination in the bottle. Though it's my first time trying it, those sharing the bottle with me claimed that it's "exactly the same as what it was ten years ago.."
It smells of cherries with a vineous quality. Aroma is mostly of cherries and some woody oak. Tastes almost like it smells--tart with explosive sweet cherry flavor with some apple cider vinegar... a great balance of sweet and sour. At 6.5% ABV astringency is quite low. It's very different from Rodenbach's current offerings. Texture is rich and creamy. Extremely satisfying and refreshing. Some of the best beer I've ever had. (854 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to ArthurPendragon for acquiring this under somewhat unusual circumstances. Served in a tumbler.

A - Pours with a thin wisp of foam that settles to a ring and haze. Only a few spots of lace are left behind. Transparent red-orange color.

S - More sweet and malt-forward than I expected after all these years. Somehow this still pops, with oaky vanilla, sour cherry, balsamic vinegar, and lactic sour notes. Very well balanced in all the flavor domains.

T - Taste is more tart, with sour and sweet flavors moving to the periphery. There's some tart apple in there as well. Wonderful integration, with no single element becoming overbearing or fatiguing. Some how there isn't any perceptible oxidation in this 12+-year old bottle.

M - Low carbonation, smooth medium body, and a lightly dry finish. Could have used a bit more spritz, but I won't be overly hard due to the age on this one.

D - Why did the stop making this? It's awesome. This would be a superb Belgian session sour if you could actually buy it. (1,018 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

vintage 1996 bottle thanx to sam at the stuffed sandwich

A: pours a pinkish brown that has slight lacing and decent retention even though this beer is 14 years old

S: smell is of a original rodenbach grand cru but aged with cherries and hints of vinegar.

T: little vinegar up front with massive cherries sweetness and tartness to finish of this great long retired beer.

M: is medium body with good amount of carbonation that has held up throughout the years.

D: overall this beer is something special that makes beer geeks go crazy when pulled out to sample, so sad that rodenbach don't brew this anymore. (610 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was the 2nd beer we cracked at Ditmier's weekend tasting.... Wow!! Never thought I would get a chance to try this one... Big Props Eric!!

Very clear Orange/red.... not much of a head.

Aroma is incredibly complex mix of very balanced sweet and sour... cherries come out in full force with some mild acetic character.

Flavor mirrors the nose with again a near perfect balance.... tons of cherries dominate from front to the back where a vinegar note shows and dries out... oak shows on later pours.. I wrote "red apple", but honestly don't remember that much now... maybe something to do with the sweetness and growing tannins as it really opened up.

Not alot of carbonation, but it was there and helped lean the mouthfeel toward a smoothness with just hints of bubbles that get zinged by the acids.

I could drink this stuff by the liter... there was sooo much going on, but my notes failed to get much more... thanks again Eric... Very impressive beer and impressed that you would share such a sought after wonder.

3.5/4.5/4.5/4/4.5 (1,043 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +8.9%

1988? Vintage bottle that lists 6.5% ABV and has a gold best buy bar at the bottom of the label front notched 91'

I heard a carbonation pop when I opened it! I'm very happy about that!

Appearance: Pours a transparent garnet brown with honey folds. The head is off white but minimal and it recedes quickly leaving no lace. Still more lively and vibrant than I was expecting on a 24 year old beer!

Smell: Amazing bouquet consisting of a perfect blending of malt and cherries, a hint of lightly charred barrel, and the faintest vinous note.

Taste: Oh my god this is so incredibly sublime! Cherry sweetness, malt sweetness, with underlying charred barrel and a hint of salt coupled with a whisper of oxidation. The lactic quality presents itself in the finish. This is just amazingly balanced. The sweetness and the sourness are so melded.

Mouthfeel: Body is on the heavy side of light with an enjoyable but spritzy carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm about to drink this bottle in less than 10 minutes. It is incredibly drinkable.

Probably the best aged beer I've ever had....even better than the ones I sampled at de Kulminator in Antwerp. (1,141 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes.

Very thin head atop a clear amber body. Red-shaded, but only a little.

Aroma was of berries and cherries, and quite vinous. This was actually one of the first beers I had that had a vinous character, so unfortunately I did not get too much of the character down.

Aroma was sweet and fruity, mostly cherries but some berry character as well. Light and vinous. A touch of sourness. Overall, quite good.

Mouthfeel was light and crisp, and it gave me a little bit of a pucker. Nice.

Drinkability - I wish I had gotten several of these to lay down and try over time. Alas, at that time, I was only cellaring a few things (1994 Triple Bock, some Thomas Hardy's.) (683 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Huge thanks to Sam for giving me one of these, 1996 vintage, poured into my Chimay goblet, bottle says 6% ABV, color is cloudy deep orangish red, big one inch off white head that is rather foamy, had good retention that stayed around almost five minutes, nice lacing at times too, aroma is full of fruit, cherries, raspberries, faint sourness, plums, dates, sherry, sweet malt, oak, caramel, vanilla, and mild citrus, flavor profile was amazing with all the fruits packed into one punch, starts off rather sweet with malt and berries, middle is somewhat citrusy and tart, then the finish is both sweet and sour with a variety of fruits, cherry tastes were great, mouthfeel was slightly tart, sweet, and even dry at times, medium bodied, high level of carbonation even after twelve years in the bottle, taste lingers for quite some time, liked the fullness of its flavor, could drink numerous bottles of this, not filling at all, alcohol is hidden well and is low to begin with, great drinkability, this beer had to have improved with age or it was perfect before, everything a Flanders should be, the maturation in oak casks did wonders on the fruity flavors, hope I will get to drink this again but not many bottles seem to be around anymore, highly recommended (1,262 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Cloudy burgundy in color with a thin head of light beige.

Aroma is a mouthwatering mix of sweet fruit, tart cherry, oak-aged red wine, and earth.

Flavor is outstanding. A sweet and sour blend of cherry and oak, with vineous yeast and light earthy funkiness. Incredibly smooth and well-rounded with age, this is utterly delicious. The oak aged character of toasty vanilla and leather comes out as the elixer warms.

Mouthfeel is slick and creamy, with light carbonation and a slickery tart mouthfeel. Impossibly drinkable, my sample disappeared in no time. I really wish the brewery would revive this legendary beer. (618 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Beer bottle (33 cl), tasted in 1999.

Appearance : Very similar to the "grand cru" of the same name.
Smell : Addition of cherry juice.
Taste and mouthfeel :
Drinkability : Very good brown fruity to discover. The Rodenbach is the archetype of beer brown lactic acidity of its kind oud bruin bier '

Review added 10-25-2007, translated from french 1-12-2008 (355 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +1.6%

Enchanting ruby in color with a firm, well-densed head of light mocha that shows spotty lacing. Very fruity and strongly vinous aroma with a huge dose of cherry puree, along with a light hint of wood. Flavor is absolutely bursting with cherry goodness, while remaining lightly vinous, lightly acidic and extremely complex. Beautiful intermixing of sweet and sour flavors, with an underlying hint of red apple. Just a beautiful beer. (432 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

I picked up this bottle in a trade about a year back. I loved the old Rodenbach and then when it came back a few years ago I was glad to see it. I had been waiting to try the Alexander for awhile and felt like last night was the time.

The beer poured a cloudy, deep brown/amber color with no head but some nice bubbles running through the body. There was a slight white island in the middle of the glass that ran away rather quickly.

The nose was a nice mix of funk and tartness, almost brandy like. The taste seemed very fresh although the bottle was a few years old. There was a nice tart and somewhat sweet mix to this beer that was excellent. The body had a bit of carbonation to it so it was not flat but not overly carbonated, seemed to be the right amount. The body was medium and the taste this beer leaves in the mouth is truely enjoyable. I wish this beer was still readily available as I would scoop up more if I could. I was expecting alot for this one and was not let down at all. (1,000 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -2%

Originally reviewed November 23, 2006. Crisp saltine aroma, heavy on raspberry champagne vinegar. Very refined and tawny, edges of sherry. Many dripping cherry notes, with sweet crisp juices and dry pits. Very elegant and silky, but seems a little reserved and almost too straightforward (keeping it down 0.2 in the aroma). Flavor is damn near insanity. It’s pure lubricious delight of all kinds of cherries, schaarsbeekse, montmortenci, rainier and Door County. All sweet, bright and lucious and right in front of me. So unique and rich. A truly original coalescence of creative flourish and tangy delight. The sharpy sour notes are incredibly enlightening, with blending notes of astringent fire. The palate and finish could have had a little more moment, except that ti’s sweetness paris with the crisp cutting acidit to create nice balance and increasingly dry finish. Distant hop cone thoughts. The oak really brings some nice touches of vanilla cherry sugars. Overall, a true masterpiece and a crying shame that it’s no longer produced. (1,045 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -7.1%

Wow, what a find. I forgot that I put this one in my parents' fridge one of the first years of college, then discovered it recently when I moved back home. It had already been refrigerated for 5 or 6 years before I got ahold of it way back then.

1996 Vintage.

Pours out of the bottle a dullish brown, much less red in color than I had expected. A surprising and flourishing head is produced, but leaves absolutely no lace or cling.

Nose is full of tart, acidic cherries.

Taste is much more of the same. This is one of those beers that I can't really add much to what the label's description offers, "tart, vinous, fruity, and with a tang".

Mouthfeel is predictably tart, and oddly refreshing for a beer of this sort. My dad said it tasted like an aged wine cooler.

Completely untouched by age. Might have held out another decade! (847 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Vintage 1998

Pours clear ruby, with brown tinting, and an off- white head.
Retention is momentary at best, leaving only dots of foam, settling to 360 degree crescent, with an oasis of thin froth dead center.
Auditorily effervescent, prickly to the ear.
Cherry juice and cider vinegar up front in the nose.
Musty boards follow quickly, and cracked pepper.
Aromatics finish warm, zesty, and acidic.
Slickish mouthfeel, puckering and a bit syrupy.
Bitter and salty start the pallet, with a surge of crushed sour cherries becoming dominant.
A warming spiceyness comes forward, alongside some drying tannins. Hints of asian spice and cedar planks.
Vineousity takes main stage as the puckering acids and sweet juice fade.
Doesn't truly "finish" in any sense, as the brew has made an indelible mark on the back of the tongue.
I could not even guess how many years Alexander will continue to improve. (906 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +10%

bottle i have says 6%, thanks eda

pours a murky dark brown with tight, luxurious ring of satiny bubbles crowning the brew. murky and muddy, but intriguing. tiny bubbles lace the glass. aroma is woody, rich with port wine and other brisk vinous notes. aged. mild hints of apricot, apple and pear evolve with warming in the nose... perhaps different variations on what my mind thinks is 'cherry'. raw vanilla and clove spice things up a bit along with underripe tannins. expecting a blast of sweet stille nachtness, i am surprised by a crisp, hearty tang. loads and loads of sour cherry and even some dark corn syrup flavors here. finishes with leathery resin that carries the tartness and puckers the cheeks causing intense salivation. yeasty. perfectly smooth body of medium heft and just enough carbonation to kick some life into it and balance the sourness. intense and desserty without being anywhere close to overbearingly sweet, dry, or funky. absolutely a world class beer and one that i will have at any given opportunity. don't think a flanders red can get any better than this particular example. cheers, good luck finding this beer.

fly to belgium and you just might score a bottle. (1,199 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle (as if I needed to say). Brown, semi-clear, thin head. Sour juicy cherry aroma, slight acidity, and pleasant sweetness. Explosive juicy cherry flavors, pleasant sourness. A bit like a sour candy. Sweetness lingers over a layer of sourness. Medium body, but the acidity adds a dimention. Extremely well balanced and drinkable. Too bad this one is gone... (360 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

A terriffic Belgian Red. Look creamy and rich of maroon with a thicker than usual head, also light red. Smells tart and modestly sour with cherry and raspberry sweetness and tartness. Tastes little in the way of malty, but the richness and creaminess comes through. Cherry, raspberry, blackberry, cranberry and currant fruits, tartness, and acidity. Never get to astringent levels. Red wine flavors and alcohol comes into the body and finish. Sweetness comes from the same fruits, only fully ripened. Slight spiciness comes through in light hopping and other added spices. Texture is creamy and rich, never thick or cloying. A good beer for a single. Still a bit sour for regular consuming (689 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Alexander from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.