Alexander - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

AlexanderAlexander

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alexander Alström Bros
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Nice reddish color to light but more mahogany or burgundy. Full beige head with very active carbonation but no lace and low head retention. Full cherry aroma with a light tartness or sourness. Tastes full of fruit -- Very Cherry with a light sourness / very much like some krieks in fruitiness. Light airy body (champagne-like) with a tart fruity finish.

Aged - had this bottle for quite a while (2 years maybe) -- I really hope it is not extinct or comes back. ;-(

Bottle states "Belgian Red Ale"

Per M.J. - G.B.B.: R. Grand Cru with Cherry Essence

(11.2 oz. / 33 cl)

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Presentation: A bottle that was “blindly” purchased at the Stuffed Sandwich, San Gabriel, California for $7.50 during the Stone Brewing Event on the 25th July 2003. It had the new gold edged style white label which the Alexander sported in its latter years of existence.

Appearance: Dark brown copper color that poured with a good inherent carbonation. Full of life. Off-white colored head that was large & rocky in places. Has good staying power. Tremendous levels of dissolved carbon dioxide add vitality to the beer when swirled.

Nose: The odors tell you this beer should be cherry red - such is the fruitiness that the cherry essence adds to this beer.

Taste: Gorgeous cherries drowned in sour red ale that complement each other like sweet and sour, dark & light, up & down. They are opposites, yet this synergistic beer is so much more than the sum of its component parts. Tartness spikes here & there, it comes & goes like the sweetness. A real mish-mash of extreme flavors that just works so well.

Mouthfeel: Above average feel, complicated by the battle between the sweet & sour aspects. Sweet, yet dry & tartly sour at times. A bit of a roller coaster at times. It improves no end with additional aging I find.

Drinkability: Every time I have a bottle of this wonder, I always tipped it upside-down, at least twice to make absolutely sure that I never leave any beer in the bottle. Suffice it to say, I find this Ale extremely drinkable & mourn its passing every time.

Overall: A totally unique blend of cherry essence & sour red ale that just simply works for me. Hard to describe & often loathed by some, hell even ridiculed by some so-called Belgium Beer Experts, but I enjoy it for what it is (was!) – a truly unique beer. The Alexander is the Rodenbach Grand Cru with just cherry essence added. Simply that, a Cherry 'flavored' Flemish Red Ale. It definitely worked well in its time, & many of my drinking friends from England dearly loved this beer, so often we would all order a round whenever we found it on our Easter Trips to Belgium. Alexander Rodenbach only ever represented a low single figure percentage of the Breweries overall production. Whether it was truly an inconvenience to produce, or simply never given the support it so dearly deserved and never properly marketed – whatever the reason; this marvelous one of a kind beer, is so dearly missed by this Belgium beer fan. I so wish I had stashed away a few bottles of this when I had the chance to do so.

Alexander Rodenbach - RIP.

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Dark brown stain or rust colored with bits of floating yeast particles are topped by a slow fading beige head and a little sliding lace. The aroma of fresh crushed berries, hops and a hint of alcohol are exceptionally welcoming. I normally don't appreciate overly sour or tart beers, but this one is modestly tart with a lively lemony zest partly tempered by hints of sweet caramel, cherries and candy sugar. Incredibly tasty and well made!

4.13/5  rDev -8%

Origianlly sampled 29 March 2002. Big Thanks to hoprus for this one! It pours a cloudy brown w/ a one finger head. Nicely balanced sour cherry & apple flavors lead to a crisp, dry finish. This beer, & Flemish Sour Ales in general, aren't for everyone, but Rodenbach Alexander is an excellent example of the style.

I had one bottle of this beer sitting in a sealed box in my closet waiting for a special day; but then I happened across 2 more bottles at a local store that had recently remodelled and temporarily hidden their Belgian beers. I broke one out this evening to re-sample one of my all-time favorite brews.

The color is of a rich, lacquered piece of mahogony -- deep brown with hints of red when even the thinnest light hits it. The reddish tint is unique, as I understand it, to Rodenbach among the oud bruin beers. This particular sour ale is exceptional as it's blended with cherries, as it states on the bottle. The dance of the light is just such a treat compared to the cloudier, more opaque visual presented by beers like Goudenband. Anyhow, there's little to no head on this beer as the bubbly, soda-like head disappears quickly. A *very* thin lace sticks to the sides of the glass with each sip, however.

Obvious aromas of some sort of cherry vinegarette salad dressing -- slightly tart but very richly sweet like Michigan black cherries. This has most potpourris beat, hands down.

The taste is of dried cherries -- lightly sour with an intensely sweet cherry flavor. It begins with a heavy sweetness and finishes with a crisp acidity similar to that of other Flemish browns/reds or lambics. The body is fairly thin, but the beer is nonetheless powerful and the flavors intense.

I could drink this beer all night. It's exceptional.

3.18/5  rDev -29.2%

Acquired a couple bottles of this from a trade. Pours a ruddy dark amber with a medium thin light tan head. Thin lacing. Aroma is just waiting to burst like a mob of Saturday morning shoppers waiting at the doors for a store to open during a big sale. Strong sherry, citrus, apple and grapes almost overwhelm. Unfortunately my first impression of the flavor reminded me of a cheap screw-top wine like Boone's. Sour and fruity with a light effervescent character. I am glad I got to try it as this is an interesting and complex beer, but honestly I don't think I would get it again if I had the chance.

Bubbly head, and deep, dark cherry red color. Aroma is loud and sweet, projecting a fierce cherry flavor far and wide. Sour cherries! Tantalizing, lively. Not a kriek lambic, but merely a "sour ale" flavored with "cherry essence." And that's just the thing. It's simple and consistent. You get sour, you get cherry. I like it, and I can imagine it as an excellent dessert treat, but it's not the sort of thing you can imagine drinking very often.

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

An excellent beer....cranberry red in color with no lace....nice tart cherry/sour apple nose....a real tartness on the buds, but it fades quickly into a subtle sweetness....the tartness is of cherries, sour apples, and cranberries...Very unique..lacks the sweetness of the New Glarus Belgian Red (which may not even be true to style)...I really like this...thirst quenching but a desert beer at the same time...

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer pours a beautiful deep scarlet red color. A slight tan head dwindles quickly and soon just rims the glass. A sour mash like smell is perceived on the nose. The tartness of this beer can be smelled. This beer has a very light body. Drinking this is almost like drinking a liquid version of the green apple taffy/candy. It's very unique and there are both sweet and sour characteristics. The sour properties seem to win in my mouth. Vinegar like presence is detected although balanced pretty effectively.

I definitely prefer the New Glarus Belgium Red over this brew. (I gave the Belgian Red from NG a 4.9.) I realize that they are a bit different beer styles, but as for the few beers I've tried with cherries in them, NG is outstanding and this one is pretty good.

4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

This is an excellent beer. If the news I heard about its impending lack of availability in the US is true, I'm really glad that one of my friends picked up a bottle on our last trip to Tennesse (couldn't buy the stuff in Georgia anyway since it's over 6%). The sad part was that I didn't buy any for my self. It's got a dark ruby color. Both the smell and taste are sweet, sour and very cherry. It reminds me of a fruit lambic with the tartness, actually. A very, very good beer.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

Presentation: 11.2 oz brown bottle with a white foiled top, no freshness date though a tart beer like this will stay for months if not years.

Appearance: Bright mahogany colour with a light tan lace to boot, sediment in the bottle stayed well packed even when the bottle was totally poured out.

Smell: Sweet aroma of bing and black cherries, big fruity tart back ground with an odd yet light tobacco smell.

Taste: Smooth on the palate with a huge puckering tartness, not sour bit tart because as soon as it comes in it leaves to let a flipside of flavours in. Tartness holds the fruit, the fruit of sweet then quickly to sour cherries that bring on the tartness. Hops are belittled and are nearly non-existent but this is par for the style. As soon as the tartness subsides a sweet vanilla flavour sneaks in with a quick flash of malt also within the undertones of earth and wood. Dry without a doubt, especially the finish and the finish is pretty clean.

Notes: This is the in comparison to what wine drinkers would want in a complex top notch wine, guess what it’s a beer. Complex is not the word for this beer, better than wine is bold and fitting.

After an eight day trip to Belgium this beer makes me feel all fuzzy and warm. Then I realize that I am in America and have to pay two to three times the $$$ for the same beer just to drink it at home and not in a warm and inviting cafe or beer bar in Brugge. :-(

Alexander from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.