2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rodenbach Classic (Red) - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2002)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,215 | Reviews: 601 | Show All Ratings:
therica

Maryland

1.53/5  rDev -61.8%

I'm transferring in my review which had accidentally been done on the unfortunately now-retired Alexander Rodenbach, which apparently was a far better beer than this mass-produced Classic Red version.

5Jan2006 Leuven Belgium, on-tap (and regretting it since!)

I had this in a bar in Leuven Belgium, on-tap. The bartendress warned me that "you either love it or you hate it."

I noted that the head dissipated quickly and disappointingly as she drafted it, and was nearly gone after she sat it in front of me.

Appearance-- like lemon juice.

Nose-- phew-- like apple-cider vinegar.

First taste-- like slightly fermented apple-cider vinegar.

Next taste was a good-sized healthy gulp. My guts instantly warned me. I continued through the mug, laughing that I was drinking cold slightly-carbonated not overly pleasant lemon-apple-vinegar.

My opinion never changed. Well, actually after about 10 minutes when I became severely nauseated and spent half an hour throwing up (which I hadn't done in 10 years), then watching the ceiling spin for another 6 hours, my opinion was modestly worsened, regarding this concoction.

Note that their advertising slogan states (as did the bartendress), "You either love it or you hate it."

I would also note, the barmistress stated firmly that the alcohol content was 4.8 percent, and not 5.0 percent as advertised. She knew her stuff.

01-06-2008 23:30:20 | More by therica
CDBeerDisappear

1.85/5  rDev -53.9%

I should have read the label more carefully. This is a Flemish SOUR ale. I like to try new things and I never drank sour ale before but I did not anticipate how sour, sour could be. To me it tasted like vinegar. I spent half an hour trying to drink the blasted stuff hoping that I would "develope a taste" for it. But that never happened.It tasted like vineagar from the first sip to the last. The bottle cost me $7 (750ml) and I consider it money well spent since I now know that sour ale is NOT for me. There are many good reveiws of this ale, apparently there are those who like sour tasting beer, but it is not for everybody. When I drink Belgian, I will stick to the classic Belgium Stong Ales frm now on.

01-14-2006 20:55:14 | More by CDBeerDisappear
bundy462

1.95/5  rDev -51.4%

A: Dark brown and cloudy, frothy tan head.

S: Vinegar, yeast, oak, cherry. Sour.

T: Very sour, like rotted cherries. My first and last of this style, not very good.

M: Average bodied, smooth.

O: I just didn't like it very much. Not very beer like, somewhat cider like.

08-06-2010 02:06:48 | More by bundy462
Absumaster

Netherlands

2.63/5  rDev -34.4%

A muddy, brown beer with almost no head.

Smell of lactic acid, some mild dark malts and a woody undertone.

Taste is tart, very tart. Wow, this is hard. A woody taste under the tartness with a fake sweet sauce covering this all. A hard to drink beer with an artificial sweetness and a agrresive sour.

11-01-2008 15:44:22 | More by Absumaster
auxiliary

Rhode Island

2.65/5  rDev -33.9%

If you are a lambic lover, you might like this.
Remind me Cantallion. This beer was very sour and bitter. Good thing I was given a small sample of this from the tap. Dark reddish color, no head on this one, had about 5 sips of it, and that was the end of this.
If you are big on wine, and sour patch kids, then you are going to like this. Looking at the review, people do like it. Hats off to you.

01-05-2008 02:04:22 | More by auxiliary
Imstillthegman

Delaware

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%

My first dive into "sour" ales. Poured a dark reddish-brown with a tan head that left some lacing behind. The smell is unlike any other beer I have had. Sour vinegar with some dark fruits and a sweeter bubble gum like scent. The taste is ... wow ... sour! I know I should have expected it but it hit me hard. It's like someone stuffed some cherries into a bottle of apple cider vinegar. This may be true to style but it's not for me. I gave it a 3 because I am assuming that is how it should taste. Well...it was an interesting experience for sure, but I had to feed this one to the sink.

06-25-2006 02:15:55 | More by Imstillthegman
LarryV

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%

I found this to be a really disappointing beer. Aroma wasn't bad, but the overwhelming sourness once I tasted it turned me right off. Reminded me of drinking apple cider and had apple cider vinegar overtones. It was a chore to drink a 10.5 oz glass of this.

10-02-2006 00:56:37 | More by LarryV
MrMcGibblets

2.7/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

ok, before i get panned for the low scores, let me just say that either the rest of you are lemmings scoring it high because you think you should, or you just enjoy this really unique, challenging style of beer. i wanted to like this beer. i tried to like this beer. i didn't like this beer. it poured beautifully: on-tap at 3F's pub, a deep reddish amber, mostly clear, with a super-thick, rocky, creamy, big-ass lasting pinkish head and lacing. nose was of cherries/berries and acetic sourness along with some musty barnyardy aromas. taste was sweet upfront dominated by sourness. kinda like drinking turned/old juice. light bodied, spritzy, with a drying, sour finish. tastes more like a sparkling rose wine that beer. no hop presence per the style. this might go well with a cherry pie.

01-27-2008 05:44:37 | More by MrMcGibblets
fingerlaker

2.78/5  rDev -30.7%

Disappointing. My first experience with a sour ale was less than what I expected.

Opening it up I was hit with the smell of bad wine. It wasn't pleasant. I smelled fruit, Lord, did I smell fruit- Grapes, cherries, plums, strawberries... Just not beer.

The taste... well, it was sour. Hit first by the sour taste of bad grapes and bad cherries. It was sweet, malty and had NO hops. I was SEARCHING for hops and found none. It tasted more like bad fruit wine than beer. Just strange.

Anything good? It LOOKED fantastic. Good lacing... That's about it.

02-23-2009 15:11:26 | More by fingerlaker
BoitSansSoif

France

2.8/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Poured a reddish amber with thick, pink head and left very nice lacing on the way down.
S-Sour cherry, sour cherry, sour cherry, and light toasted malt w/vinegar.
T-Toasted malt and cherries. Flavor is weak and laced with a mineral sensation that dominates, not to mention a clearly-present vinegar character. I'm not sure if this is typical of the style, like a lambic, but I like to dip strawberries in a balsamic vinegar/sugar mix, and this reminds me of it a little bit too much.
M-Light in flavor and on the watery side.
D-It's drinkable, but I'll pass. I'm not too familiar with this style, and it's interesting, but it's not for me.

04-19-2008 07:17:21 | More by BoitSansSoif
RandomExile

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

A: full thin head, spotty but persistent lacing. 70's brown.
S: sour apple
T: sour, musty, sweeter finish than first taste
M: thin, surprisingly insubstantial for a darkish beer, dry finish
O: Watery sour apple. Not unpleasant, per se, but not particularly laudable.

10-24-2013 05:44:21 | More by RandomExile
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

OK, I will post this disclaimer: sours are not my forte. I think I've had 1 or 2 before this one. Keep that in mind.

A- A murky brown with a minimal- scratch that- zero head. Deeper than I would have expected for a 'red' ale, but what do I know.

S- Like vinegar. Not appealing in the least. Really really foul.

T- While mildly sour, there is an intense fruitiness that really brings this one home. Dark berry fruit, along with mild coriander and a tartness that suggests this beer is complex beyond my comprehension.

M- sour, tart, pleasant, but strange. Wine-like, mild drying towards the end.

D- Moderate. Goes down easy, although I had no problems drinking this one I would want to put a good chunk of time between this session and my next one. Still, a good beer.

I will re-review this one once I gain a bit more perspective on the style. This is a handicapped review, but it will be good for going back on when I gain a wider breadth of knowledge.

10-04-2009 23:55:15 | More by ShogoKawada
WoodBrew

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

WHAAAATTTT!! Surprise Surprise Surprise….a Belgium that is pretty dog gone good. Cloudy Brown, big cider/vinegar smell, but the taste is very light and refreshing…..crazy! I would not go crazy and would shy away from doing a session…just too sweet and tart.

04-19-2011 00:06:26 | More by WoodBrew
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured this beer from the 750ml bottle into my Konings hoeven goblet. It is a dark red-brown with a quickly fading tan head. It has some light lacing and high carbonation. The smell is a musty cellared smell. It has a very clean taste for a Flemish red ale. An initial sour berries flavor peaks in a sour mid-note and fades to an oak sour finish that lasts. It gets better as you sip it and become familiar with it. Not my favorite Flemish Red by far. The flavor isn’t near as complex as my favorite beer Duchesse de Bourgogne or its sister Vichtenaar. However, I like this beer far better than Rodenback Gran Cru.

01-25-2006 01:20:30 | More by TheEclecticGent
smcolw

2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

Starting with the summary: This is a very odd flavored beer--while I cannot put my finger on it, I can't say that I like it.

Reddish brown and clear; good head with nice lasting lace.

The smell is off for me--like pickles in a ham salad, really. ????

Sweet-sour flavors. Again, quite different from anything I've ever had, but not in a positive way. The body is the best part of the beer.

09-01-2007 02:57:00 | More by smcolw
tlazaroff

3.03/5  rDev -24.4%

On the nose I get a nice caramel background with a slight tart cherry hint in the tail end of the aroma.

Pours out a brown color, somewhat murky, with a light tan head that dissipates quickly into the beer.

Big sour fruits in the tasting of this beer. Cherries, apricots, peaches, all summer fruits. There is a slight sweetness in the finish, as the sourness doesn't last too long.

Highly carbonated with a medium body, this beer is quite drinkable as well.

Perhaps I shouldn't have drank it right out of the fridge, I think letting it sit would have opened it up a lot.

02-02-2012 06:12:56 | More by tlazaroff
jcalabre

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

Originally sampled on 19 April 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. This beer is a reddish brown color w/ a dirty white head. It has a slightly sour taste, but overall is well balanced. To me, sour ales are a bit of an acquired taste. This one is on the milder side. For this style, it's a middle of the road beer.

06-27-2003 22:25:49 | More by jcalabre
changeup45

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

3/21/08. I wanted to try a new style, read good things about Flemish Sour beers so gave this a try based on a recommendation. I was however quite skeptical after reading reviews. Vinegar? That doesn't sound appealing at all. So the beer pours a murky brown color with a small head. It does indeed smell and taste quite a bit like vinegar. The flavor is dark fruits with some cherry and vinegar. It is a little sour but not as sour as I was expecting. There is a winey presence about it. The finish and aftertaste is a bit weird and bland. Overall it's not horrible and easier drinking than I feared but I don't really like it. The first sip I had was a little gross but it grew a little on me. Still, I would have been perfectly happy with a small 12 ounce sample. As is I had a big bottle and halfway through I didn't even want to finish it. Of course I did finish it and honestly it was better as it warmed a bit. If I ever have it again I'll note to let it warm a little.

08-27-2008 00:40:40 | More by changeup45
aasher

Indiana

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

This beer pours a light bodied, chestnut brown with ruby highlights and a one finger, creamy off white head. The nose features light sweet cherry with light vinegar. The flavors are both sweet and tart. It features a touch of sweet cherry with an acetic tartness but also has this odd, lager yeast and pale malt characteristic that is both stale and really strange. It's too light and that lager aspect is really distracting. It drinks light with a decent amount of residual sugar but the flavors don't all come together very well. I wouldn't buy this one. It is well below Duchesse let alone their Grand Cru.

09-20-2012 02:30:39 | More by aasher
vickersspitfire

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours out a nice dark red/amber color with a slightly hazy body and filled with carbonation. The head is thin and dissipates rather quickly, but forms a nice thin ring of lace. There are plenty a fruit aromas coming through, apple, grape, lemon and figs too, but I also pick up a very faint vinegar scent. It’s sour and sweetens up as it hits the corners of your mouth, light bodied and very refreshing. The woody flavors do come out as you swallow, but the very faintly and the sourness does linger. It goes down quit smooth.

05-30-2013 03:43:41 | More by vickersspitfire
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.1/5  rDev -22.7%

Normal brown 25cl bottle most have reviewed from, this one was best before 29th April 2009 and drank on a cold, dry afternoon in December 2008.

Poured into a Palm tulip glass.

Teak wood red in colour, with a good firm tan head on top. Looks a little mirky, but there is no light here today, so we'll go with a slightly hazey complexion.

Old cherries, sour cherries, almonds and rotting undergrowth are the smells I got.

The old and sour cherries win the taste race, no sign of the almonds and rotting veg (thank goodness).

Can't pretent to love this style or this beer, but it is different and if that 'floats your boat' then all well and good, but I like beer to taste like beer.

Body isn't heavy, but it has a presence, the aftertaste is fine, no nasty metallic feel or cardboard dryness here. Just those cherries.

12-29-2008 13:03:19 | More by BlackHaddock
harrymel

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

From notes at bier baron in dc.

A: dark red, excellent clarity. Rim of beige foam spotty lacing.

S: wood, grapes, tartness, cherries. Not very strong or complex.

T: it's a standard Flanders red. A bit too sweet for my preferences. Wood. Cherry. Slightly tart.

M: medium bodied with low carb. A really nice creamy feel to this which matches the beer, not the style IMO. Nice though.

O: not a great Flanders red at all for me. Pretty standard and a little too sweet.

06-23-2011 08:05:45 | More by harrymel
taez555

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

This beer pours a dark reddish body with off-white/tan head.

Nose has a sharp fruit smell. Dark cherries, plums or other tart fruits come to mind. Some mild woody tones as well.

Taste is light to medium bodied. Very watery and light to the tongue yet tart and very sour. Tart cherries, some raisin, plums and raspberries. There this mild touch of powdered cocoa in the back blending well with the tart fruit. The carbonation in this beer is very strange. It starts large, overwhelming in an almost foamy carbonation and yet as it continues it almost disappears into the weak taste. It ends with a mild yet still tooth rotting sour and tart taste.

Maybe I've been ruined since the the flanders red's I've had the most are la folie and rodenbach grand cru, but I'm not overly crazy about this. 3/4 lambic, 1/16 belgian strong ale and the rest water, well.... I can understand it, I'm just not a big fan.

01-25-2006 01:00:43 | More by taez555
cproioi

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

The beer pours a dark red body with an off white head that leaves a little lacing. The aroma and taste go hand in hand with a sharp sour fruit notes that are quite pleasant. The carbonation dances on the touch with a slight cheek puckering sour tartness. The beer is a pleasure to drink and very refreshing.

05-03-2007 18:46:56 | More by cproioi
donkeyrunner

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

Dull, rusty brown color. Ruby red when held to light. Tan-ish, eggshell colored head. Few splashes of lace left by a swirly skim retention that looks to be in the shape of a Fibonaccie series nautilus shell. 75% new ale and 25% old ale. A combination of something old and something new - like folk metal.

Tart aroma with a metallic twang. Autumn leaf earthiness.

Taste is again metallic tartness but with a slightly sweet maraschino cherry balance. Dark, German wheat bread.

Rodenbach Grand Cru it ain't.

06-16-2011 00:46:22 | More by donkeyrunner
Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.