Rodenbach Classic (Red) - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

rAvg: 4
Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2002)
2.25/5  rDev -43.8%

2.25/5  rDev -43.8%

2.48/5  rDev -38%

2.63/5  rDev -34.3%

A muddy, brown beer with almost no head.

Smell of lactic acid, some mild dark malts and a woody undertone.

Taste is tart, very tart. Wow, this is hard. A woody taste under the tartness with a fake sweet sauce covering this all. A hard to drink beer with an artificial sweetness and a agrresive sour.

2.65/5  rDev -33.8%

If you are a lambic lover, you might like this.
Remind me Cantallion. This beer was very sour and bitter. Good thing I was given a small sample of this from the tap. Dark reddish color, no head on this one, had about 5 sips of it, and that was the end of this.
If you are big on wine, and sour patch kids, then you are going to like this. Looking at the review, people do like it. Hats off to you.

2.68/5  rDev -33%

I found this to be a really disappointing beer. Aroma wasn't bad, but the overwhelming sourness once I tasted it turned me right off. Reminded me of drinking apple cider and had apple cider vinegar overtones. It was a chore to drink a 10.5 oz glass of this.

2.68/5  rDev -33%

My first dive into "sour" ales. Poured a dark reddish-brown with a tan head that left some lacing behind. The smell is unlike any other beer I have had. Sour vinegar with some dark fruits and a sweeter bubble gum like scent. The taste is ... wow ... sour! I know I should have expected it but it hit me hard. It's like someone stuffed some cherries into a bottle of apple cider vinegar. This may be true to style but it's not for me. I gave it a 3 because I am assuming that is how it should taste. Well...it was an interesting experience for sure, but I had to feed this one to the sink.

2.7/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

ok, before i get panned for the low scores, let me just say that either the rest of you are lemmings scoring it high because you think you should, or you just enjoy this really unique, challenging style of beer. i wanted to like this beer. i tried to like this beer. i didn't like this beer. it poured beautifully: on-tap at 3F's pub, a deep reddish amber, mostly clear, with a super-thick, rocky, creamy, big-ass lasting pinkish head and lacing. nose was of cherries/berries and acetic sourness along with some musty barnyardy aromas. taste was sweet upfront dominated by sourness. kinda like drinking turned/old juice. light bodied, spritzy, with a drying, sour finish. tastes more like a sparkling rose wine that beer. no hop presence per the style. this might go well with a cherry pie.

2.78/5  rDev -30.5%

Disappointing. My first experience with a sour ale was less than what I expected.

Opening it up I was hit with the smell of bad wine. It wasn't pleasant. I smelled fruit, Lord, did I smell fruit- Grapes, cherries, plums, strawberries... Just not beer.

The taste... well, it was sour. Hit first by the sour taste of bad grapes and bad cherries. It was sweet, malty and had NO hops. I was SEARCHING for hops and found none. It tasted more like bad fruit wine than beer. Just strange.

Anything good? It LOOKED fantastic. Good lacing... That's about it.

2.8/5  rDev -30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Poured a reddish amber with thick, pink head and left very nice lacing on the way down.
S-Sour cherry, sour cherry, sour cherry, and light toasted malt w/vinegar.
T-Toasted malt and cherries. Flavor is weak and laced with a mineral sensation that dominates, not to mention a clearly-present vinegar character. I'm not sure if this is typical of the style, like a lambic, but I like to dip strawberries in a balsamic vinegar/sugar mix, and this reminds me of it a little bit too much.
M-Light in flavor and on the watery side.
D-It's drinkable, but I'll pass. I'm not too familiar with this style, and it's interesting, but it's not for me.

2.83/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

A: full thin head, spotty but persistent lacing. 70's brown.
S: sour apple
T: sour, musty, sweeter finish than first taste
M: thin, surprisingly insubstantial for a darkish beer, dry finish
O: Watery sour apple. Not unpleasant, per se, but not particularly laudable.

2.85/5  rDev -28.8%

25 cL bottle poured into a snifter. Totally irresponsible rate. Best by date is 84, 85, or 86.

Appearance - Flat deep reddish brown. No bubbles.

Smell - Cardboard. Caramel. Cream sherry aroma.

Taste - Some tartness reminiscent of fresher Rodenbach. Faint cherry. Lots of caramel. And equal quantities of cardboard in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Flat. Medium body.

Overall - Way too old. I'll have to re-review this when I have it fresher.

2.86/5  rDev -28.5%

"The Flemish Red Brown Ale, 75% young 25% matured for 2 years".

What could go wrong about that?

Flavor.

It pours nicely although barely any head. Smells a little like dark cherries. Medium carbonation. Fruity but not as much as a lambic. Refreshing. I could have it for brunch, lunch or snack. Not something to taste in detail.

Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.