2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rodenbach Classic (Red) - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2002)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,219 | Reviews: 602 | Show All Ratings:
RandomExile

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

A: full thin head, spotty but persistent lacing. 70's brown.
S: sour apple
T: sour, musty, sweeter finish than first taste
M: thin, surprisingly insubstantial for a darkish beer, dry finish
O: Watery sour apple. Not unpleasant, per se, but not particularly laudable.

10-24-2013 05:44:21 | More by RandomExile
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

OK, I will post this disclaimer: sours are not my forte. I think I've had 1 or 2 before this one. Keep that in mind.

A- A murky brown with a minimal- scratch that- zero head. Deeper than I would have expected for a 'red' ale, but what do I know.

S- Like vinegar. Not appealing in the least. Really really foul.

T- While mildly sour, there is an intense fruitiness that really brings this one home. Dark berry fruit, along with mild coriander and a tartness that suggests this beer is complex beyond my comprehension.

M- sour, tart, pleasant, but strange. Wine-like, mild drying towards the end.

D- Moderate. Goes down easy, although I had no problems drinking this one I would want to put a good chunk of time between this session and my next one. Still, a good beer.

I will re-review this one once I gain a bit more perspective on the style. This is a handicapped review, but it will be good for going back on when I gain a wider breadth of knowledge.

10-04-2009 23:55:15 | More by ShogoKawada
WoodBrew

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

WHAAAATTTT!! Surprise Surprise Surprise….a Belgium that is pretty dog gone good. Cloudy Brown, big cider/vinegar smell, but the taste is very light and refreshing…..crazy! I would not go crazy and would shy away from doing a session…just too sweet and tart.

04-19-2011 00:06:26 | More by WoodBrew
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured this beer from the 750ml bottle into my Konings hoeven goblet. It is a dark red-brown with a quickly fading tan head. It has some light lacing and high carbonation. The smell is a musty cellared smell. It has a very clean taste for a Flemish red ale. An initial sour berries flavor peaks in a sour mid-note and fades to an oak sour finish that lasts. It gets better as you sip it and become familiar with it. Not my favorite Flemish Red by far. The flavor isn’t near as complex as my favorite beer Duchesse de Bourgogne or its sister Vichtenaar. However, I like this beer far better than Rodenback Gran Cru.

01-25-2006 01:20:30 | More by TheEclecticGent
smcolw

2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

Starting with the summary: This is a very odd flavored beer--while I cannot put my finger on it, I can't say that I like it.

Reddish brown and clear; good head with nice lasting lace.

The smell is off for me--like pickles in a ham salad, really. ????

Sweet-sour flavors. Again, quite different from anything I've ever had, but not in a positive way. The body is the best part of the beer.

09-01-2007 02:57:00 | More by smcolw
tlazaroff

3.03/5  rDev -24.4%

On the nose I get a nice caramel background with a slight tart cherry hint in the tail end of the aroma.

Pours out a brown color, somewhat murky, with a light tan head that dissipates quickly into the beer.

Big sour fruits in the tasting of this beer. Cherries, apricots, peaches, all summer fruits. There is a slight sweetness in the finish, as the sourness doesn't last too long.

Highly carbonated with a medium body, this beer is quite drinkable as well.

Perhaps I shouldn't have drank it right out of the fridge, I think letting it sit would have opened it up a lot.

02-02-2012 06:12:56 | More by tlazaroff
jcalabre

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

Originally sampled on 19 April 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. This beer is a reddish brown color w/ a dirty white head. It has a slightly sour taste, but overall is well balanced. To me, sour ales are a bit of an acquired taste. This one is on the milder side. For this style, it's a middle of the road beer.

06-27-2003 22:25:49 | More by jcalabre
changeup45

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

3/21/08. I wanted to try a new style, read good things about Flemish Sour beers so gave this a try based on a recommendation. I was however quite skeptical after reading reviews. Vinegar? That doesn't sound appealing at all. So the beer pours a murky brown color with a small head. It does indeed smell and taste quite a bit like vinegar. The flavor is dark fruits with some cherry and vinegar. It is a little sour but not as sour as I was expecting. There is a winey presence about it. The finish and aftertaste is a bit weird and bland. Overall it's not horrible and easier drinking than I feared but I don't really like it. The first sip I had was a little gross but it grew a little on me. Still, I would have been perfectly happy with a small 12 ounce sample. As is I had a big bottle and halfway through I didn't even want to finish it. Of course I did finish it and honestly it was better as it warmed a bit. If I ever have it again I'll note to let it warm a little.

08-27-2008 00:40:40 | More by changeup45
aasher

Indiana

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

This beer pours a light bodied, chestnut brown with ruby highlights and a one finger, creamy off white head. The nose features light sweet cherry with light vinegar. The flavors are both sweet and tart. It features a touch of sweet cherry with an acetic tartness but also has this odd, lager yeast and pale malt characteristic that is both stale and really strange. It's too light and that lager aspect is really distracting. It drinks light with a decent amount of residual sugar but the flavors don't all come together very well. I wouldn't buy this one. It is well below Duchesse let alone their Grand Cru.

09-20-2012 02:30:39 | More by aasher
vickersspitfire

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours out a nice dark red/amber color with a slightly hazy body and filled with carbonation. The head is thin and dissipates rather quickly, but forms a nice thin ring of lace. There are plenty a fruit aromas coming through, apple, grape, lemon and figs too, but I also pick up a very faint vinegar scent. It’s sour and sweetens up as it hits the corners of your mouth, light bodied and very refreshing. The woody flavors do come out as you swallow, but the very faintly and the sourness does linger. It goes down quit smooth.

05-30-2013 03:43:41 | More by vickersspitfire
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.1/5  rDev -22.7%

Normal brown 25cl bottle most have reviewed from, this one was best before 29th April 2009 and drank on a cold, dry afternoon in December 2008.

Poured into a Palm tulip glass.

Teak wood red in colour, with a good firm tan head on top. Looks a little mirky, but there is no light here today, so we'll go with a slightly hazey complexion.

Old cherries, sour cherries, almonds and rotting undergrowth are the smells I got.

The old and sour cherries win the taste race, no sign of the almonds and rotting veg (thank goodness).

Can't pretent to love this style or this beer, but it is different and if that 'floats your boat' then all well and good, but I like beer to taste like beer.

Body isn't heavy, but it has a presence, the aftertaste is fine, no nasty metallic feel or cardboard dryness here. Just those cherries.

12-29-2008 13:03:19 | More by BlackHaddock
harrymel

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

From notes at bier baron in dc.

A: dark red, excellent clarity. Rim of beige foam spotty lacing.

S: wood, grapes, tartness, cherries. Not very strong or complex.

T: it's a standard Flanders red. A bit too sweet for my preferences. Wood. Cherry. Slightly tart.

M: medium bodied with low carb. A really nice creamy feel to this which matches the beer, not the style IMO. Nice though.

O: not a great Flanders red at all for me. Pretty standard and a little too sweet.

06-23-2011 08:05:45 | More by harrymel
taez555

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

This beer pours a dark reddish body with off-white/tan head.

Nose has a sharp fruit smell. Dark cherries, plums or other tart fruits come to mind. Some mild woody tones as well.

Taste is light to medium bodied. Very watery and light to the tongue yet tart and very sour. Tart cherries, some raisin, plums and raspberries. There this mild touch of powdered cocoa in the back blending well with the tart fruit. The carbonation in this beer is very strange. It starts large, overwhelming in an almost foamy carbonation and yet as it continues it almost disappears into the weak taste. It ends with a mild yet still tooth rotting sour and tart taste.

Maybe I've been ruined since the the flanders red's I've had the most are la folie and rodenbach grand cru, but I'm not overly crazy about this. 3/4 lambic, 1/16 belgian strong ale and the rest water, well.... I can understand it, I'm just not a big fan.

01-25-2006 01:00:43 | More by taez555
cproioi

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

The beer pours a dark red body with an off white head that leaves a little lacing. The aroma and taste go hand in hand with a sharp sour fruit notes that are quite pleasant. The carbonation dances on the touch with a slight cheek puckering sour tartness. The beer is a pleasure to drink and very refreshing.

05-03-2007 18:46:56 | More by cproioi
donkeyrunner

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

Dull, rusty brown color. Ruby red when held to light. Tan-ish, eggshell colored head. Few splashes of lace left by a swirly skim retention that looks to be in the shape of a Fibonaccie series nautilus shell. 75% new ale and 25% old ale. A combination of something old and something new - like folk metal.

Tart aroma with a metallic twang. Autumn leaf earthiness.

Taste is again metallic tartness but with a slightly sweet maraschino cherry balance. Dark, German wheat bread.

Rodenbach Grand Cru it ain't.

06-16-2011 00:46:22 | More by donkeyrunner
hardy008

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

Brown with ruby highlights and a two finger foamy tan head with good retention and spotty lacing. Smells like sour and sweet cherries, vinegar, oak, and vanilla.

The taste for some reason is not as strong as the aroma. Tastes like sweet and sour cherries, oak, and vanilla, but it seems somewhat weaker than the aroma suggested. Still has a decent flavor, but it isn't tart enough.

Light bodied with modest carbonation. Almost watery. This is not as good as the Grand Cru, in fact it isn't even close. That's not to say that this is a bad beer, but it pales in comparison to the Grand Cru.

03-16-2012 01:41:39 | More by hardy008
Arbitrator

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

Chilled 750mL into a glass. Purchased at Monument in Concord for $9.

A: Pours a murky amber-ruby blend with a couple of fingers of lightly-red-tinted, creamy head. Retention is short, resulting in a donut that leaves the occasional trail of lacing down the glass.

S: Vinegar, oak, tart dark cherries, and a hint of green apple.

T: Follows the nose well. It's fairly acetic with strong cherry tartness. Some pepper and tannins in the finish, and a slightly sour green apple pucker to it. It seems like a competent flavor, if slightly too acetic for my tastes -- but I've had better Flanders Reds.

M: The flavor builds up significantly. Carbonation isn't high enough to cleanse the palate, and the beer starts to wear on me partway through the bottle, with at least a full pour left. Needs to tone down the vinegar as well.

D: Not excited by this one. I've heard better things about the Grand Cru, so I guess that's what I'll pick up next time.

09-07-2009 19:27:59 | More by Arbitrator
ClavisAurea

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

This was a 750ml bottle consumed from a plain tulip glass.

Appearance: deep garnet, Merlot, no head

Smell: under ripe cherries, raspberries, cinnamon, red wine

Taste/Mouthfeel: tart cherries, sour raspberries, under ripe fruit, plums, very dry and more like a wine than a beer. I think it is the style though.

From the start I knew I wouldn't like this one very much. It was way too much like a wine than a beer. The thing that turned me off the most was how tart this beer was. I'm used to the more sweet and complex abbey ales so this was a real shock.

07-14-2008 23:06:36 | More by ClavisAurea
wisrarebeer

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

A: clear, dark brown beer - beer poured with a 'hiss' in the glass and had a nice head that quickly dissipated
S: sour nose but somewhat offensive because it wasn't lactic but acetic in qualities, oakiness does come through a bit more as it warms up
T: that was nothing like nose, A LOT sweeter than I expected and actually too sweet for style, starts off sweet but not overly with a watery mid-tasted and final slight acidic bite that was very subdued, disappointing
M: decent enough but thin, watery and sweet
D: OK but thin and watery, not decent aftertaste, you have a sip and 30 seconds later there's no taste in your mouth, where's the Flanders red ale?, where's the oak?

02-18-2011 01:19:35 | More by wisrarebeer
Knapp85

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

This beer poured out like a dark red wine. Not much carbonation here. The beer didn't leave much in way of lacing either. The smell of the beer was pungent on the nose giving it the sour aroma. The taste of the beer was tart and had a light sour cherry flavor to it. The mouthfeel was on the flatter side and not overly exciting. Overall it's a decent beer in my opinion. I'd like to give the Grand Cru a try sometime.

06-20-2011 14:03:48 | More by Knapp85
jrallen34

3.25/5  rDev -19%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice at Delirium Cafe in Brussels.

This beer is half the man of the Grand Cru, if you can find either don't waste your time on this inferior red.

It pours dark red with a light tan head.

It smells and tastes sour, but way to sour.

07-20-2009 20:10:01 | More by jrallen34
scoots511

3.25/5  rDev -19%

Note: This beer rating has been transcribed from my previous tasting notes at a sour and wild beer tasting session. I will update this upon my next tasting.

Flemish Red Oak Barrel Aged Sour Beer: 75% fresh, 25% aged.

Slight toffee, bready, malty, sweet.

11-21-2010 20:21:04 | More by scoots511
celticfutblclub

3.25/5  rDev -19%

A - dark reddish brown body with a tan head which is quickly a thin layer. whats there does leave a good etch on the glass on the way down.

S - big sour notes with a red wine backdrop. sour cherry, apple and grape. candied sugar vinegar are in there as well supported by a passive maltiness.

T - sour grape and cherry and sugary sweetness hit first. quickly dies off in the middle leaving a gap before the malts and some light hops show themselves. not enough punch on this one everything is a little too watery for me

M - light to medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation on this. some puckering from the tartness here but after a sip or two its not overwhelming.

O - meh. its a good beer but there are definitely better flanders reds out there in my opinion.

02-24-2012 22:46:12 | More by celticfutblclub
BlurryVisi0n

Server in a pint glass.

Appearance: ridiculously dark amber, very light bubbles on the body. Off white head maybe 1/10", I'm not crazy over the way it looks but it's still attractive.

Smell: strong woody taste, you can inhale the malts and cellaring.

Taste: This taste is not for everybody, strong sourness to it that makes the rest of the beer very hard to enjoy. Wood, almost cedar like...but a notch sweet. I don't hate it but keep my words in mind before sipping and judging.

Mouth: an easy medium to full, strong after taste of rye sticks to you like black to the night.

Overall: good beer but the hype it definitely does not live up to. Honestly this is probably my first flander's red ale, and I want to try more before I put them on the "beware" list. Salud!

02-12-2013 03:47:20 | More by BlurryVisi0n
thepeter

United Kingdom (England)

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

A - Murky brown with a hint of red, nice creamy head that thins but remains a film and leaves nice lacing.

S - Wood, lactic funk cherries and some metal

T - Tart Cherry, lots of wood and some metallic sourness

M - Very nice and smooth, medium bodied with a fine carbonation.

D - Enjoyed this but there are many others of the style I would rather have.

Not sure how much having this from a can made a difference. I drank from my Duvel Tulip but am curious and will try the bottle version before I drink the other can I bought.

Serving type: can

04-17-2010 15:12:35 | More by thepeter
Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.