Rodenbach Classic (Red) - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

rAvg: 4
pDev: 12%
Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2002)
View: Beers (7) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
LarryV

2.68/5  rDev -33%

I found this to be a really disappointing beer. Aroma wasn't bad, but the overwhelming sourness once I tasted it turned me right off. Reminded me of drinking apple cider and had apple cider vinegar overtones. It was a chore to drink a 10.5 oz glass of this.

10-02-2006 00:56:37 | More by LarryV
Imstillthegman

Delaware

2.68/5  rDev -33%

My first dive into "sour" ales. Poured a dark reddish-brown with a tan head that left some lacing behind. The smell is unlike any other beer I have had. Sour vinegar with some dark fruits and a sweeter bubble gum like scent. The taste is ... wow ... sour! I know I should have expected it but it hit me hard. It's like someone stuffed some cherries into a bottle of apple cider vinegar. This may be true to style but it's not for me. I gave it a 3 because I am assuming that is how it should taste. Well...it was an interesting experience for sure, but I had to feed this one to the sink.

06-25-2006 02:15:55 | More by Imstillthegman
MrMcGibblets

2.7/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

ok, before i get panned for the low scores, let me just say that either the rest of you are lemmings scoring it high because you think you should, or you just enjoy this really unique, challenging style of beer. i wanted to like this beer. i tried to like this beer. i didn't like this beer. it poured beautifully: on-tap at 3F's pub, a deep reddish amber, mostly clear, with a super-thick, rocky, creamy, big-ass lasting pinkish head and lacing. nose was of cherries/berries and acetic sourness along with some musty barnyardy aromas. taste was sweet upfront dominated by sourness. kinda like drinking turned/old juice. light bodied, spritzy, with a drying, sour finish. tastes more like a sparkling rose wine that beer. no hop presence per the style. this might go well with a cherry pie.

01-27-2008 05:44:37 | More by MrMcGibblets

Lob

03-01-2012 15:40:20 | More by Lob
fingerlaker

2.78/5  rDev -30.5%

Disappointing. My first experience with a sour ale was less than what I expected.

Opening it up I was hit with the smell of bad wine. It wasn't pleasant. I smelled fruit, Lord, did I smell fruit- Grapes, cherries, plums, strawberries... Just not beer.

The taste... well, it was sour. Hit first by the sour taste of bad grapes and bad cherries. It was sweet, malty and had NO hops. I was SEARCHING for hops and found none. It tasted more like bad fruit wine than beer. Just strange.

Anything good? It LOOKED fantastic. Good lacing... That's about it.

02-23-2009 15:11:26 | More by fingerlaker
BoitSansSoif

France

2.8/5  rDev -30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Poured a reddish amber with thick, pink head and left very nice lacing on the way down.
S-Sour cherry, sour cherry, sour cherry, and light toasted malt w/vinegar.
T-Toasted malt and cherries. Flavor is weak and laced with a mineral sensation that dominates, not to mention a clearly-present vinegar character. I'm not sure if this is typical of the style, like a lambic, but I like to dip strawberries in a balsamic vinegar/sugar mix, and this reminds me of it a little bit too much.
M-Light in flavor and on the watery side.
D-It's drinkable, but I'll pass. I'm not too familiar with this style, and it's interesting, but it's not for me.

04-19-2008 07:17:21 | More by BoitSansSoif
RandomExile

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

A: full thin head, spotty but persistent lacing. 70's brown.
S: sour apple
T: sour, musty, sweeter finish than first taste
M: thin, surprisingly insubstantial for a darkish beer, dry finish
O: Watery sour apple. Not unpleasant, per se, but not particularly laudable.

10-24-2013 05:44:21 | More by RandomExile
tomordonez

2.86/5  rDev -28.5%

"The Flemish Red Brown Ale, 75% young 25% matured for 2 years".

What could go wrong about that?

Flavor.

It pours nicely although barely any head. Smells a little like dark cherries. Medium carbonation. Fruity but not as much as a lambic. Refreshing. I could have it for brunch, lunch or snack. Not something to taste in detail.

06-15-2014 02:21:01 | More by tomordonez
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.88/5  rDev -28%

OK, I will post this disclaimer: sours are not my forte. I think I've had 1 or 2 before this one. Keep that in mind.

A- A murky brown with a minimal- scratch that- zero head. Deeper than I would have expected for a 'red' ale, but what do I know.

S- Like vinegar. Not appealing in the least. Really really foul.

T- While mildly sour, there is an intense fruitiness that really brings this one home. Dark berry fruit, along with mild coriander and a tartness that suggests this beer is complex beyond my comprehension.

M- sour, tart, pleasant, but strange. Wine-like, mild drying towards the end.

D- Moderate. Goes down easy, although I had no problems drinking this one I would want to put a good chunk of time between this session and my next one. Still, a good beer.

I will re-review this one once I gain a bit more perspective on the style. This is a handicapped review, but it will be good for going back on when I gain a wider breadth of knowledge.

10-04-2009 23:55:15 | More by ShogoKawada
WoodBrew

2.93/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

WHAAAATTTT!! Surprise Surprise Surprise….a Belgium that is pretty dog gone good. Cloudy Brown, big cider/vinegar smell, but the taste is very light and refreshing…..crazy! I would not go crazy and would shy away from doing a session…just too sweet and tart.

04-19-2011 00:06:26 | More by WoodBrew
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured this beer from the 750ml bottle into my Konings hoeven goblet. It is a dark red-brown with a quickly fading tan head. It has some light lacing and high carbonation. The smell is a musty cellared smell. It has a very clean taste for a Flemish red ale. An initial sour berries flavor peaks in a sour mid-note and fades to an oak sour finish that lasts. It gets better as you sip it and become familiar with it. Not my favorite Flemish Red by far. The flavor isn’t near as complex as my favorite beer Duchesse de Bourgogne or its sister Vichtenaar. However, I like this beer far better than Rodenback Gran Cru.

01-25-2006 01:20:30 | More by TheEclecticGent
smcolw

2.98/5  rDev -25.5%

Starting with the summary: This is a very odd flavored beer--while I cannot put my finger on it, I can't say that I like it.

Reddish brown and clear; good head with nice lasting lace.

The smell is off for me--like pickles in a ham salad, really. ????

Sweet-sour flavors. Again, quite different from anything I've ever had, but not in a positive way. The body is the best part of the beer.

09-01-2007 02:57:00 | More by smcolw

cd_beer_disapear

03-13-2014 16:05:35 | More by cd_beer_disapear
YeastEnthusiast

07-23-2013 23:46:36 | More by YeastEnthusiast
Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.