Rodenbach Classic (Red) - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

rAvg: 4
Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2002)
4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Poured a dark ruby red color with a slight light beige head that had light reddish hues. The head was sticky and left behind a nice film lacing behind.

S: The nose bursts with fresh marachino cherries and is very fruity.

T: The flavor like wise is dominant cherries, alcohol, apples with a tangy sweet sourness. Tart and very smooth with a very quick clean finish.

M: a little thin, light and smooth.

D: A very smooth and silky drink with a great gentle sourness makes for a good desert beer.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Served in a Chimay goblet at O'Brien's Pub.

A: Dark reddish brown. Onlythe tiniest hint of a ring of lace.
S: Fruit - cherry and apple. Tart - is that even a smell? Mint gum?
T: Tart - fruity and dry like a geueze but not that tart. Kind of like New Glarus Sour Brown mixed with their Belgian Red. It finishes bready around the sides of my tongue.
M: Tingly! Finishes thick in my throat like milk or Sunny D. A bit numbing for my tongue like cloves.
D: Delicious, I could have another, but it isn't really a session beer, especially not at $7 a glass.

3.8/5  rDev -5%

250 ml bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon for about three dollars

Poured into my Ballast Point glass with a deep mahogany color that had a pinkish red tint when held up to the light, small 1/2 inch slightly off white head that surprisingly stuck around for five to ten minutes, great retention and lacing

Smell was full of raspberries and cherries, also some vinegar hints, lots of oak, caramel, and lots of tarty aromas

Taste was fruity to say the least, very sweet overall with some nice sourness as well, reminded me a lot of Duchesse, cherry pretty much dominated this one, after hearing about Red Poppy recently, I want to do a side by side with this and compare the two, a guy that has had both said they are similar in many ways, once this beer warmed it got noticeably sweeter and the raspberry candy flavor took over leaving the tart behind mostly, nice bite to this beer overall

Body was pretty nice and the carbonation seemed just right, wish the taste lasted a little longer, sweet and sour mouthfeel that kept me coming back for more

Could drink another bottle or two of this no problem, sweetness would eventually catch up to me, alcohol is hidden well but the ABV is really low anyways, not filling like other Flanders I have had in the past

Had heard a lot of great things about this beer and the people at O'Briens were ranting and raving about it a few days ago, so I had to see how it was for myself, very good for the price, would drink again in the future, want to try their Grand Cru because I have heard that is even better

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

My first Flanders Red. poured out into a flute, billowy head, lacy retention. Nice dark-tea color. Big aromas of raspberries,cherry, fruits,wood aromas. Flavor is exactly what what I was hoping for. Tart, apple-like. Crisp, dry finish. A little vinegary, but thats what I expected. This beer would make a great apertitif as opposed to the common glass of champagne. will definatly buy again. I really enjoyed this beer, makes a great start to a round of reviews.

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Beachwood BBQ, in Seal Beach, CA, this is the first time I have ever seen this for sale in CA, so I jumped at the chance to try it,

A: Pours a dark, maroon red, with a small white/off-white head.

S: Sour funk, though not as funky as a lambic, more of a lactic acidity, with some cherry and strawberry, and oak.

T: Taste is a fascinating blend of oak and fruit mixed with lactic acid. It can get a little to vinegary at times but overall, I was enthralled with its upfront sour character which evolved into a malty sweet berry flavour, definitely worth the wait.

M: Sour obviously, lactic, vineagry, acetic, but very refreshing.

D: I really dug this beer, would like to have it again, but it was $7 for about 8 oz. so it will have to be a rare treat.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

The aroma is right on style-wise. Very similar to Duchese. Horse blamket and very sour aroma. Next to zero head and gone in 60 seconds. Dark puple-brown color. Initial flavor is heavy sweet as is the finish, which iis a good thing. I would buy more of this, but it's not as readily available as the Duchese.

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer pours a dark ruby color. The head is small, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of sweet and sour cherries, oak, and hints of vinegar. The taste is sweet with a tart sourness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is a fine Flemish Red. I will certainly drink this again.

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

An excellent example of the Flanders Red style. often imitated but never duplicated. The beer has a red almost burgandy color to it. A generous tannish head sits atop that body. The flavors hits you with a genorous helping of sour/sweet while ending in a balanced malt profile. A classic example of the style.

1.53/5  rDev -61.8%

I'm transferring in my review which had accidentally been done on the unfortunately now-retired Alexander Rodenbach, which apparently was a far better beer than this mass-produced Classic Red version.

5Jan2006 Leuven Belgium, on-tap (and regretting it since!)

I had this in a bar in Leuven Belgium, on-tap. The bartendress warned me that "you either love it or you hate it."

I noted that the head dissipated quickly and disappointingly as she drafted it, and was nearly gone after she sat it in front of me.

Appearance-- like lemon juice.

Nose-- phew-- like apple-cider vinegar.

First taste-- like slightly fermented apple-cider vinegar.

Next taste was a good-sized healthy gulp. My guts instantly warned me. I continued through the mug, laughing that I was drinking cold slightly-carbonated not overly pleasant lemon-apple-vinegar.

My opinion never changed. Well, actually after about 10 minutes when I became severely nauseated and spent half an hour throwing up (which I hadn't done in 10 years), then watching the ceiling spin for another 6 hours, my opinion was modestly worsened, regarding this concoction.

Note that their advertising slogan states (as did the bartendress), "You either love it or you hate it."

I would also note, the barmistress stated firmly that the alcohol content was 4.8 percent, and not 5.0 percent as advertised. She knew her stuff.

3.48/5  rDev -13%

I am not sure why I have not tried this brew before since i really do like the Flander brews and the sour aspect of them. This brew poured to a color that has a red tone to a brown profile. had a nice light tan colored head that holds for a bit. The aroma shows of its tart/sour side from the get go with a nice fruit mix. I know that this is a blend of brew that was in Oak but I am not sure if I am or am not picking up the oak notes. While I like the aroma, to me it seems to be more one dimensional than I would like. The flavor of course highlights the fruit and sour profile but to me seems to be a little more harsh with a stronger acidic note than I would like to see. Again just like with the Aroma I am not picking up the properties that I would expect from a being aged (part of it) in oak. To me this is a solid brew, like this type of brew but in my book it is not in the same book as Mestreechs Aajit, Monks or Duchesse. I would get this brew again but would reach for these others before this one, just mu opinion.

2.65/5  rDev -33.8%

If you are a lambic lover, you might like this.
Remind me Cantallion. This beer was very sour and bitter. Good thing I was given a small sample of this from the tap. Dark reddish color, no head on this one, had about 5 sips of it, and that was the end of this.
If you are big on wine, and sour patch kids, then you are going to like this. Looking at the review, people do like it. Hats off to you.

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice to finally try this beer. Body really has a nice reddish color to it with a nice head as well. The head fades pretty quickly. The aroma has a sharp edge to it, but a lot of nice fruity smells in the as well. Flavor is sharply sour at first, but more of the malt profile comes through as you sip. Mouthfeel is ok, but seems a little thin. Drinakbility is also OK. I enjoy it, but I couldn't see drinking more than one of these in a sitting.

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a dark reddish-brown color with one-finger head. Aroma is nice and sour upfront with fruitiness showing through that's reminiscent of sour apple in some ways. Taste is somewhat sour upfront and fades with a mild pucker towards the back of the throat. Again, it reminds me of sour apple in some ways. Not too sour either. I've never really had many sour ales but I would say that this one is a good introduction to the style it claims to represent. Very drinkable too!

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

I would like to note that I am not a fan of sour beers.

A: nice light reddish/copper transparent color with a bright white head which drops quickly to a lace.

S: suprisingly fresh fruit smell with just some sourness actually pleasant

T: sourness takes a back seat to the fruit and malt which is a delight.

M: refreshingly smooth with a little dryness and not much lingering.

D: would recommend as an intro to sour beers from now on. Have always shy'd away from the funk but my now be a little more open for experimentation.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

I bought this 750 ml bottle from Michael's Deli in King of Prussia, Pa.
Appearance: Deep read body, edging on brown. A dark tan head that was large, having good retention but not leaving any lacing. I didn't notice much in the way of carbonation up front, but toward the end it really started bubbling. Is that normal?
Smell: When I popped the cork, the aroma was all of fermented grapes, but as time passed, everything mellowed and other sour fruit aromas came out.
Taste: I didn't get much in the way of the original grape flavoring, but I did get some green apples and cherries. Sour and tart but not as much as I wanted.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth, leaving you wondering if the carbonation was just an illusion.
Drinkabilty: Not awesome, but still rather tasty.
Don't drink and review.

4/5  rDev 0%

rodenbach red. i actually had the grand cru before i had the original rodenbach and had mixed feelings about it, but i am an incredible advocate of duchesse de bourgogne, so i figured i would finally give its closest rival, the standard rodenbach, a turn on the tastebuds.

A: poured from a 750mL bottle - vigorously - it developed a moderate off-white head which quickly subsided to a thin layer of lasting foam. color is quite nice, being fully ruddy.

S: smell is delicate, consisting mostly of sour fruits, especially raspberry, with a faint vinegar smell in the background.

T: taste is quite pleasant. first glass, well chilled (i couldn't wait) was full of predominant iron flavors, almost like blood, with more sour berries. now that i'm on to a warmer, second glass, the fruity notes have more fully expressed themselves with an almost salmonberry-like tang. the iron flavor has moved to an afterthought at the back of the tongue.

M: mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing. it does not cling or mask, only lingering in the palate in much the same way a sharp-flavored fruit or berry would.

D: drinkability is, again, quite good. this beer goes down easily, is very refreshing, and its alcohol is barely noticeable. drinking a 750 of this single-handedly is no trial.

very fine example of a flemish sour ale and i can understand why it is the standard. i thoroughly enjoyed it, but i still prefer the duchesse.

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

8.45 fl oz brown bottle; served in a tulip.
Best before 06.03.08; Labeled 3-18 16:34.

Dark oak with ruby highlights. Very creamy, porous burnt white-head that slowly recedes. Some traces of thin and spotted lacing.

Bright, acidic fruity esters: cherry, raspberry, cranberry. Notes of vinegar. Soft cream, toffee, caramel. A nice balance of aromas.

Sharp, fresh tart fruit flavors with a nice dose of acidity; raspberry, cranberry, orange, cherry. Some floral hints with an earthen chocolate-like character that adds just a hint of sweetness. Touches of light vinegar and alcohol in the aftertaste.

A light, medium bodied; not as abrasively carbonated as you would expect. Actually creamy in spots.

Obviously a staple for the Flanders Red style. Pleasantly tart but not over the top; very well rounded.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours out a slightly cloudy reddish brown with very little suds.
Smell is sour tarts and dark sour cherries with wooden wet oak aromas. There is a flowery odor with some sugary hints as well.
Taste is sour dark cherries and granny smith apples with an orange peel thrown in for good measure. Some sugar is present so it makes the offering pleasant to the tongue.
Mouthfeel is fine here but not as good as other flemmish ales I have had. Still for the price, it's a good buy.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampled this the other night at the November Austin BA meeting. This is my third Flanders Red Ale with the first being La Folie and the second being Duchesse. I guess I kinda worked my way backwards...

Poured part of a 750ml into a tulip glass.

Appearance - It is a transparent deep caramel brown, almost burgundy color. It produced a small 1/2 finger head tannish head and then it slowly dissipated into a thin crown.

Smell - Smells good. I detect a funky citrus lemon-grapefruity note, along with a sour note of green apples and tart cherries. There is a sweet characteristic to the scent as well.

Taste - Tart and funky. Green apple and caramel. Slightly sweet but mostly sour. There is a slight spice in the flavor as well.

Mouthfeel - Great carbonation level. It helps to cut through the sour nature of the beer. Medium bodied.

Drinkability - Really good for a beer of this character. It is definitely not a beer that everyone would like, but if you are into this type of brew it is really easy drinking, really tasty and goes down very smooth.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

I apologize for the 2 quick reviews, but I had these laying around. I had the bottle after draft, but put them in in opposite order.

Poured into a small snifter-like glass at the bar. Poured a reddish brown with an average tan head. Looked like lots of carbonation. Smells of cherry and perhaps tart apple in there.

Taste wasn't overly strong, again that cherry and apple taste with a mix of sweet and tart, but neither overpowering the other.

The beer seemed overly carbonated and felt that way. It was almost like drinking a less sweet cherry cola. I wasn't overly impressed, but it wasn't bad. It was easy drinking, but mainly because there weren't any overpowering flavors.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a pretty clear dark brown-amber color with a small ring of fine bubbles.

Smells mildly of funky sourness with some leather and earthiness.

Seems pretty low on the acetone characteristics compared to the few other Flanders Reds I have tried, a bit of sweet/sour (crabapple) fruitiness, but a fairly dry impression overall.

I'm not the biggest sour ale connoisseur, but this one seems pretty mild. Not overly sour or sweet, a bit lighter than expected.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Rich, dark ruby brown. A thin creamy tan head that lasts. Held up to the light it is a very interesting looking liquid.

S - Musty, with hints of sour apples and cherries.

T - WOW! Sour and sweet but not overly so in either way.Cherries and sour apples flavors untie. Really nice.

M - Medium body with pleasant carbonation. Side of mouth bite and after numerous sips tounge starts to pucker...in a pleasant way.

D - Very tasty....one of my tops Flanders sours....maybe only second to The Duchess.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : Une brune fraîche, savoureuse et désaltérante. Brune-rouge foncée, limpide, mousse serrée peu tenace, saturation moyenne.
Smell : Nez agréable et fruité
Taste and mouthfeel : saveur boisée, aigre-douce, bien fruitée (cerise) Légère astrigence, saveur assez sèche et fraîche.
Drinkability : Archétype des oud bruin

3.88/5  rDev -3%

A - Pours a deep, dark mahogony colour with a couple of centimetres of off white head that falls away immediately.
S - Tart cherry like fruit aroma dominates. Some apple vinegar notes. Spice phenols & some character from the oak finish it off.
T - All of the smell backed up by a slightly sweet malt presence.
M - Light to medium bodied with a middle of the road carbonation. Refreshingly tart.
D - Not something for every day drinking but a beer that I'll be drinking again for sure.

4/5  rDev 0%

Nice, low key sort of garnet color. Decent level of carbonation. Quite fruity and somewhat funky aroma-sour cherries. Fairly sour upfront but not offensivly so. Moderate fruit flavor. Slight woody taste. Good mouthfeel-tends to be a bit sweet in the finish. Very nice and enjoyable beer. I havnt had very many sour beers. Really liked this one overall.

Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.