Rodenbach Classic (Red) - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

rAvg: 4
Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2002)

olafphysics, Nov 11, 2012

Aquapolo1, Jun 01, 2013

Unchi, May 30, 2013

ThePAYeti, Nov 21, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +24.3%

Appearence: Pours a wonderful, clear red with a thin head that stays for a bit.

Smell: The smell is a wonderful mix of sourness, cherries, fruits, and bread. Well balanced and supremely complex.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is unreal. It's enough to bring me to my knees. Perfect balance, high complexity. The sourness hits your tongue first, followed shortly by and incredibly wonderful fruit flavor. It finishes smoothly, and about 10 seconds after swallowing an amazing bread flavor hits your mouth and lingers until the next sip. The mouthfeel is smooth and slick.

Drinkability and Overall: This beer is devilishly smooth, delicious, and drinkable. This is one I wish I had available to me all the time. My choice for a session beer. Thank you D's for bringing in this marvelous creation.

santoslhalper, Aug 21, 2005
4.97/5  rDev +24.3%

When Tommy @ Andy's Corner in Bogota sent out the e-mail with one day's notice that this would be on tap, there was no mistaking my showing up for a taste. What follows are the results of this extraordinary experience, one that my taste buds shall remember 'til the end of days.

Served in a Libbey's tulip glass (model #3715 for anyone who cares) nice and cold fresh from the keg.

Appearance- A reddish-brown mostly clear color with a tight, foamy head. Large bubbles popped and hissed amongst the soapy remains of the initial pour. Retention was nice for a Flanders Red.

Smell- Clean, fresh, pungent sour cherries with a full, deep follow-through. This was one of those "I can't stop smelling this beer" events, because it is not often that we get to experience this style so fresh. Sour turns to sweet as the beer slowly approaches cellar temperature. Outstanding.

Taste- Total refreshment. Totally thirst-quenching. This is the ideal summertime answer to that special brew that wakes up your taste buds... not like an IPA or kicked-up pilsner... but it satisfies your complete tongue and begs you to drink more. Sour cherries dominate, and they fade to a background of granny smith apples.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Perfect in every regard... slick and moderate, smooth and inviting. Everything about this makes me want to try one more sip, one more glass. Totally thirst-quenching and a feast for the senses, I am so happy to have sampled what might be perfection for this style. At $7 a glass, I didn't care... four went down the gullet inside of 3 hours, and when I tell you that I enjoyed and savored each taste, I mean it.

yelterdow, Jul 07, 2005
4.97/5  rDev +24.3%

Finding Flanders Reds to be one of my favorite styles, if not THE favorite style of beer, I might be a little biased towards this offering. That being said, this one is the best of the bunch for me. In fact I'm requesting my casket to be a replica of one of Rodenbach's giant oak aging barrels. No rush though...

When I poured this into a medium sized tulip glass, it gave the appearance of an Amontillado sherry, with a wonderful auburn tint. The nose was of fresh cut, slightly un ripened green apple, and hints of oak. When I put this Flanders offering into a large snifter, I got much stronger woody tones from the nose, including traces of vanilla.

The taste emulated the nose, with tart green apple showing itself right away. The hop presence, as is traditional with this style, is obsolete, yet the beer maintains a remarkable balance with its subtle malty background. Trailing off with faint oaky echoes, this beer has a quick, yet complex finish.

The mouth feel of this beer is lighter bodied, but you don't feel like you are getting cheated out of substance. Fairly decent carbonation rounded out the experience. This beer has incredible drinkability. It is unbelievably refreshing, and a 750 of this could go alarmingly quick.

Truly an outstanding Belgian treat, this beer could be just as much "session" worthy as it is gourmet. If you pair a Rodenbach Classic with some Alaskan king crab, clarified butter, and a loaf of fresh bread, Bill Gates would not be able to top that (yes of course he probably could, but surely by now you get the point). I love everything about this beer. Enjoy

Greenfloyd, Jul 26, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +23.8%

This is a great beer which is truly a great example of a regional Belgian style. If you want to really branch out, and try something very different, than this is a great beer to reach out, and try. Great maroon color, with a nice white head lacing. Smells of nice cherries, grapes, and (I hate to say it) sourpatch kids. The first sip gives a nice tart cherries, with some real nice sour "funk". This is a great beer! Very drinkable, and is one that I feel is a must try for everyone, and is definitely one I will go back to when I am in the modd for something sour, but which is still very drinkable.

Drone53, Sep 02, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +23.8%

I've been wanting to try the Rodenbach beer's for quite awhile now but been unable to find em. Yesterday I was in Eugene, OR at the Bier Stein and ran across some much to my delight. 275 ml bottle poured into my New Belgium Globe glass a dark amber color with a small head that laced up fairly quick. Looks great. Smell is of tart cherries, oak, and just hint of vinegar sour twang. Smells awesome. Taste was not a let down, cherries, oak, rich malts, hint of wheat towards the end with a pleasently refreshing sour finish. Mouthfeel was smooth, a bit sticky, and tart. Really pleasent. Man if I could get this stuff in town I would drink it all the time. I absolutely love it. This is a brew that can be enjoyed on a hot afternoon to refresh you, or as a dessert for after dinner.

Iguana, Sep 04, 2006
4.95/5  rDev +23.8%

(Addendum) After having this fresh at the brewery in Belgium, sampling some bottles I brought back, and talking with some friends, I've come to the conclusion that either this beer's changed or, more likely, every sample I've ever loved has been aged. Drink this beer after it's a couple years old and it'll go from decent to spectacular. I'm knocking a tiny bit off the mouthfeel score because I'm unwilling to ignore my past experiences that indicate it's a prefect 5 -- but the current product lacks the living, breathing, lively sensation this beer can and should produce.

(Original Review: 11/02/2003) Rodenbach can simply do no wrong -- or if they can, they sure as hell keep it to themselves. Because their beers are simply exercises in perfection.

Poured from a 1.5L bottle and shared with some Detroit-area BAs and a buddy at Kuhnhenn's. There's something about these larger bottle sizes too, be it mental or physical, that makes for a more impressive brew. Impeccible character.

Mildly acerbic character underlies the entire aroma. Tart cherries blend in perfect harmony with chocolatey malts, very subtle raw herbal mint, and mild oaky vanilla. Earthy, deep, complex. As fantastic an aroma as one could hope to find on anything.

The acidity carries through to the palate. Refreshingly crisp despite the obvious estery fruit qualities. Woody and loaded with cherries and sweetness.

And let's be honest here: Do these beers, including this one, have any rival in terms of balance? A tasteful and elegant sweetness balanced perfectly with a light sour flavor. It's natural and carries a perfect understanding of flavor.

Drink one. Drink two. Drink three. Drink all night. This is a perfect beverage.

marburg, Sep 01, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +22.5%

750 mL bottle from the Hendersonville (NC) Food Co-Op....for $1.99/bottle!!

I'm stingy with my perfect 5's, so I opted for a 4.5 on Drinkability...after all, as another reviewer said, it's hard to drink more than one of these at a go, even with the 5.1% ABV.

It is, nevertheless, an absolutely glorious concoction. I have been a champion of the Duchesse de Bourgogne for some time, but after a head-to-head with Rodenbach, the Duchess has been dethroned.

Poured into an oversize Merlot goblet.

Appearance: The color of madeira (or, for you low-brow types, Dr. Pepper. :) ). Burnt russet-brown with a lovely light-tan lacing of head. Beautifully stunning in the glass.

Nose: An extensive bouquet -- wild grapes, sour cherries, vanilla, a hint of balsamic vinegar, cloves, cardamom, white pepper, deep, dark hops, sourdough yeast, fresh-cut hay, plums, and maple syrup.

Taste: Similar to the nose -- a yummy sweet and sour! Balsamic vinegar, apple, plum, scuppernong grapes, cherries, white pepper, maple syrup, cloves, and sourdough bread.

Mouth/palate: Sharp, dry, spritzy, smooth, and full-bodied.

This really puts the Duchesse to shame. Try with artisan cheese, grilled meats (duck), or even Chinese food.

drperm, Mar 30, 2008
Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.