Rodenbach Classic (Red) - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2002

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,557 | Reviews: 643

3.02/5  rDev -24.3%

On the nose I get a nice caramel background with a slight tart cherry hint in the tail end of the aroma.

Pours out a brown color, somewhat murky, with a light tan head that dissipates quickly into the beer.

Big sour fruits in the tasting of this beer. Cherries, apricots, peaches, all summer fruits. There is a slight sweetness in the finish, as the sourness doesn't last too long.

Highly carbonated with a medium body, this beer is quite drinkable as well.

Perhaps I shouldn't have drank it right out of the fridge, I think letting it sit would have opened it up a lot.

3.05/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours out a nice dark red/amber color with a slightly hazy body and filled with carbonation. The head is thin and dissipates rather quickly, but forms a nice thin ring of lace. There are plenty a fruit aromas coming through, apple, grape, lemon and figs too, but I also pick up a very faint vinegar scent. It’s sour and sweetens up as it hits the corners of your mouth, light bodied and very refreshing. The woody flavors do come out as you swallow, but the very faintly and the sourness does linger. It goes down quit smooth.

3.05/5  rDev -23.6%

Originally sampled on 19 April 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. This beer is a reddish brown color w/ a dirty white head. It has a slightly sour taste, but overall is well balanced. To me, sour ales are a bit of an acquired taste. This one is on the milder side. For this style, it's a middle of the road beer.

3.05/5  rDev -23.6%

3/21/08. I wanted to try a new style, read good things about Flemish Sour beers so gave this a try based on a recommendation. I was however quite skeptical after reading reviews. Vinegar? That doesn't sound appealing at all. So the beer pours a murky brown color with a small head. It does indeed smell and taste quite a bit like vinegar. The flavor is dark fruits with some cherry and vinegar. It is a little sour but not as sour as I was expecting. There is a winey presence about it. The finish and aftertaste is a bit weird and bland. Overall it's not horrible and easier drinking than I feared but I don't really like it. The first sip I had was a little gross but it grew a little on me. Still, I would have been perfectly happy with a small 12 ounce sample. As is I had a big bottle and halfway through I didn't even want to finish it. Of course I did finish it and honestly it was better as it warmed a bit. If I ever have it again I'll note to let it warm a little.

3.06/5  rDev -23.3%

This beer pours a light bodied, chestnut brown with ruby highlights and a one finger, creamy off white head. The nose features light sweet cherry with light vinegar. The flavors are both sweet and tart. It features a touch of sweet cherry with an acetic tartness but also has this odd, lager yeast and pale malt characteristic that is both stale and really strange. It's too light and that lager aspect is really distracting. It drinks light with a decent amount of residual sugar but the flavors don't all come together very well. I wouldn't buy this one. It is well below Duchesse let alone their Grand Cru.

3.06/5  rDev -23.3%

Did a blind side by side with Half Pints' Old Red Barn. Half Pint's was far and away the winner. Rodenbach was cloudy with a distinctly artificial cherry note and not much sourness. Muddled compared to their modern local contemporary...

3.09/5  rDev -22.6%

It was ok but not my favorite. I had two others in similar style. I prefer the lighter colored Flemish ales. Birthday gift from garys in basking ridge

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.