Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
View: Beers (7) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Grand Cru Alström Bros
Marc33

1.25/5  rDev -70.9%

04-29-2012 17:01:52 | More by astrickland
joesc230

1.35/5  rDev -68.5%

Decided to try this out based on the reviews I saw on this site. To be honest, this was the first time I've tried a well-rated beer (based on this site's ratings) that I absolutely hated. I'm sure it's a great choice for some people, but both the smell and taste of this beer reminded me of a very sweet and sour vinegar. After trying it out and being suprised by its taste, I asked a friend to try it out and he totally agreed with me.

10-17-2010 23:39:46 | More by joesc230
Weizenmensch

Japan

1.38/5  rDev -67.8%

I tried this beer with no preconceptions, although it was a Belgian Grand Cru. It may be my first Flanders Red Ale, but I've had quite a few oak aged beers in the past. I didn't like the taste. Too sour, very unique and lacking in a real beer feel. Tasted like Shiraz, in that it was dry and peppery, although it also had a watery consistency. Generally it was unpleasant, I don't think I'll be having another one, and I'll be noting my aversion to the style (not many beers of this style are available in Australia). A real disappointment.

03-02-2005 11:39:04 | More by Weizenmensch

Tinfang

12-16-2012 18:23:23 | More by Tinfang
Litterbean

1.65/5  rDev -61.5%

Pours a reddish brown color with a decent sized head. Looks decent, if not a little typical.

Very tart to the nose, hints of raspberries and sour apple. Overpowering and not at all pleasant.

Taste is terribly sour, like sucking on a green jolly rancher. Hints of acidic vinegar and ripe raspberries. Mouth puckeringly sour, with little else going for it. Oak notes are subdued and pretty much nonexistent behind the yeast-induced sourness. Made my mouth feel nasty afterwards too.

After spending $10 for a bottle, I certainly wasn't going to pour this down the drain, but I did think about it. I forced myself to drink every last drop of this god-awful beer. I award it no points for being unique. Just a terribly unappetizing beer.

06-06-2006 05:41:46 | More by Litterbean
Sazz9

1.75/5  rDev -59.2%

08-03-2013 23:50:44 | More by Sazz9
kkipple

South Carolina

1.83/5  rDev -57.3%

Well, this was a surprise. Pop the cork and immediately a sour, yeasty smell emanates menacingly from the bottle. Hm, what's this...? Poured a clear amber into my goblet, with a huge fluffy head that faded fast, leaving little sign it was ever around.

The smell is... bold. It's a VERY intense sour fruit aroma with tons of funky yeast and gives a vinegary punch to the nose. Subtle this isn’t. I've never smelled a beer remotely close to this... smelled like cherry vinegar... I'm going to give it rather high marks on uniqueness of smell alone.

Taste is unbelievably sour. This ale smacks you right in the face with mouth-puckering sour fruit (chiefly cherries), citrus, and a raging tartness. It’s advertised as "aged 18 months in oak", but I couldn't tell. Second sip is just as horrid. I couldn't taste anything else past the mind-bending sourness. Just destroyed my palate. Ever drink pickle brine? Yeah, it's that harsh. Didn't enjoy this at all.

Finishes rather wet and with a lingering sourness. This is one bizarre beer.

I ended up dumping most of this one. My friend who shared the bottle with me (and took one in the wallet for us!) did the same.

I can possibly, maybe, see this beer paired with food and improving, but... it's a stretch. I'm actually a bit curious to sample this again (in the distant future) and see if I enjoy it the second time around. I actually wouldn't rule out the possibility that we got a bad bottle, but as it stands, this is the least drinkable beer I've ever had.. That said, it's certainly different.

02-28-2006 16:26:56 | More by kkipple

McLaughlin5350

02-04-2012 22:33:30 | More by McLaughlin5350
tomordonez

2.15/5  rDev -49.9%

I prefer the regular Rodenbach. It’s in the middle between bitter and sour, slightly sweet. Although this one has a great color. It smells like wood, like it has been in a casket for a long time. It has an aged aroma. High carbonation. The sour wall hits you in the face. There is not much flavor other than sour. No wood flavor. Not really beer flavor. This should be classified as a spirit. Hard lemonade.

06-15-2014 02:09:32 | More by tomordonez
bellebouche

France

2.25/5  rDev -47.6%

No two ways about it. A very, very challenging beer.

I'm perplexed at the consistently stellar reviews for this beer. It's so highly rated yet deserves to be far more polarised. If you like this kind of thing - you're going to love it - but you really have to like it.

I'm not quite the the polar opposite in terms if actually disliking it but I have to say - if you're at all new to funk/sour/oxidised beers then step lightly.

So, down to business. I paid €3.15 for a 33cl bottle of Grand Cru, bought from a Belgian beer emporium in Thouars, France.

Bottle was marked up as BBE July 2010 and I'm tasting it in April 2010 so it's fairly close to the end of its stated bottle life.

I know 'fresh' is a misnomer but the bottle age might have had an impact on the beer I'm tasting here.

A. Spectacular deep ruby/garnet colour, impressive clarity and sparkle. Poured a huge thin cream coloured head which sank to cola-like rim of bubbles after a minute or two. After 4 mins, flat as a pancake with NO head at all. Some light brown edges at the periphery of the glass,

S. Sour cherry, treacle toffee, slight hints of an espresso coffee bitterness. Long backnotes of acetic vinegar harshness. Off smelling, some woody oak but very subtle

T. Cloying, full acid profile. Vinegar. No malt, no hops. Harsh black pepper minus the heat at the back of the palette.

M. Despite the acidic sharpness it's not at all thin as you might expect. Some mousse which disappears quickly. Persistent acid Zing at the edge of the jaws. Whatever the acid profile is that is so dominant actually flashes off if I hold a mouthful and starts to seer the back of the nose/sinus.

D. Very hard to approach this one - the kind of thing you're going to have to man-up for. It's actually hard to drink. I do wonder what percentage of bottles actually get finished. I can't easily think of a natural food pairing for this drink as it would overwhelm anything with a much simpler flavour profile. Maybe a very mature vintage English cheddar?

So. Will I drink it again? YES! If only to satisfy a small morbid curiosity that I didn't have a ropey bottle or that the rest of the world wasn't barking up the wrong tree.

04-10-2010 19:35:27 | More by bellebouche
Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.