Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Grand Cru Alström Bros

Marc33, Dec 24, 2011

Aubreyann227, Nov 21, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -70.9%

astrickland, Apr 29, 2012
1.35/5  rDev -68.5%

Decided to try this out based on the reviews I saw on this site. To be honest, this was the first time I've tried a well-rated beer (based on this site's ratings) that I absolutely hated. I'm sure it's a great choice for some people, but both the smell and taste of this beer reminded me of a very sweet and sour vinegar. After trying it out and being suprised by its taste, I asked a friend to try it out and he totally agreed with me.

joesc230, Oct 18, 2010
1.38/5  rDev -67.8%

I tried this beer with no preconceptions, although it was a Belgian Grand Cru. It may be my first Flanders Red Ale, but I've had quite a few oak aged beers in the past. I didn't like the taste. Too sour, very unique and lacking in a real beer feel. Tasted like Shiraz, in that it was dry and peppery, although it also had a watery consistency. Generally it was unpleasant, I don't think I'll be having another one, and I'll be noting my aversion to the style (not many beers of this style are available in Australia). A real disappointment.

Weizenmensch, Mar 02, 2005

Grooveman53, Dec 29, 2011

nivlac18, Dec 24, 2011

Harkrank, Dec 23, 2011

MikeF11, Feb 10, 2013

Tinfang, Dec 16, 2012
1.65/5  rDev -61.5%

Pours a reddish brown color with a decent sized head. Looks decent, if not a little typical.

Very tart to the nose, hints of raspberries and sour apple. Overpowering and not at all pleasant.

Taste is terribly sour, like sucking on a green jolly rancher. Hints of acidic vinegar and ripe raspberries. Mouth puckeringly sour, with little else going for it. Oak notes are subdued and pretty much nonexistent behind the yeast-induced sourness. Made my mouth feel nasty afterwards too.

After spending $10 for a bottle, I certainly wasn't going to pour this down the drain, but I did think about it. I forced myself to drink every last drop of this god-awful beer. I award it no points for being unique. Just a terribly unappetizing beer.

Litterbean, Jun 06, 2006
1.75/5  rDev -59.2%

Sazz9, Aug 04, 2013
1.83/5  rDev -57.3%

Well, this was a surprise. Pop the cork and immediately a sour, yeasty smell emanates menacingly from the bottle. Hm, what's this...? Poured a clear amber into my goblet, with a huge fluffy head that faded fast, leaving little sign it was ever around.

The smell is... bold. It's a VERY intense sour fruit aroma with tons of funky yeast and gives a vinegary punch to the nose. Subtle this isn’t. I've never smelled a beer remotely close to this... smelled like cherry vinegar... I'm going to give it rather high marks on uniqueness of smell alone.

Taste is unbelievably sour. This ale smacks you right in the face with mouth-puckering sour fruit (chiefly cherries), citrus, and a raging tartness. It’s advertised as "aged 18 months in oak", but I couldn't tell. Second sip is just as horrid. I couldn't taste anything else past the mind-bending sourness. Just destroyed my palate. Ever drink pickle brine? Yeah, it's that harsh. Didn't enjoy this at all.

Finishes rather wet and with a lingering sourness. This is one bizarre beer.

I ended up dumping most of this one. My friend who shared the bottle with me (and took one in the wallet for us!) did the same.

I can possibly, maybe, see this beer paired with food and improving, but... it's a stretch. I'm actually a bit curious to sample this again (in the distant future) and see if I enjoy it the second time around. I actually wouldn't rule out the possibility that we got a bad bottle, but as it stands, this is the least drinkable beer I've ever had.. That said, it's certainly different.

kkipple, Feb 28, 2006

mikerems, Aug 24, 2012

d_brommer_nh, Nov 03, 2013

11millsown113, Jan 22, 2012

MypSE, Jul 25, 2014

6string, Dec 06, 2011

McLaughlin5350, Feb 04, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -49.9%

I prefer the regular Rodenbach. It’s in the middle between bitter and sour, slightly sweet. Although this one has a great color. It smells like wood, like it has been in a casket for a long time. It has an aged aroma. High carbonation. The sour wall hits you in the face. There is not much flavor other than sour. No wood flavor. Not really beer flavor. This should be classified as a spirit. Hard lemonade.

tomordonez, Jun 15, 2014
Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.