Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Grand Cru Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,496 | Reviews: 1,056
2.67/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

RGC pours a deep red-cognac color with generous carbonation and a settling tan head. Quickly dispersing industrial vinegar nose, leading to repressed malty-apple cider vinegar nose. Taste of moderate tart laden cherries and an inhaled fresh black pepper attack upon the tonsil area of the throat. Medium bodied and strangely refreshing, there is some desensitizing to the overly assertive acids that are omnipresent within. I tried this version after it was recommended to me that the Grand Cru was "much better" than the standard version. This version of the style is commercial, squeaky clean and aromatically void of any discernable bret or wild yeast elements available to the taster.
I still continue to find it impossible to grasp what it is that turns beer enthusiasts on when consuming the Rodenbach line, as there is nothing hedonistic about it. Lacking true Flanders red authenticity; and as much as I try to convince myself that this is an enjoyable product; ingestion is a definite struggle.

2.75/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown tint with a amber hue with a slight head of white foam. Sour vinegar sweet with a weird alcohol punch and large citrus bloom. The taste while complex is way too acidic in the finish. The favor of oak is present but the citris owns this beer and the heartburn is already starting. The malt comes through and the sourness would be pleasent but the vinegar note is sending this sideways. Maybe it might have been better colder but I thought cellar temps would be best. I finally polished off the 750 solo as the wife ran for the door at the first sip even though she usually like the sour beers.

2.77/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I used to drink a lot of this stuff back "in the day" of the early seventies while listening to the tunes and having an illegal smoke or two.
We called it something else though, I believe it was wine, or sherry.
Anyhow, this product arrived a deep brownish/red with a medium + carbonation. The body is a medium.
The aroma is yeasty fruit.
The taste is very strong, very sweet, very lingering, and all of cheap wine.
Think I could use a smoke right about now...

2.77/5  rDev -35.4%

Thin brownish head, dark ruddish body. No visible carbination.
Huge vinous aroma.
This is not beer, it is red wine vinegar made with malt. Sour with an earthy base. Low carbination, medium body. Sweetness is present to balance the sour, but this is not chinese food, so I will pass on the sweet and sour combination. Smooth on the palate, the beer says nothing, if it does not say sour cherries.

2.79/5  rDev -35%

have to say, i really didnt enjoy this beer at all. maybe it was too old, tho it wasnt past its use by, but it was just way too tart for me to enjoy it on any level.

superb reddy brown color with a voluminous head, it looked like a fair dinkum ripper. ordinary smell, alot like red wine vinegar, with some hops and a bit of citrus. tasted alot like vinegar too, and also resembled blood oranges and grapefruit. the malt and sweetnees was completey overcome by the tart acidic nature of the beer. finished really dry and cloying. the subtle presence of wood didnt help much either. not as full in body as id hoped for. couldnt help but think if i wanted something that tasted and felt like this i would have just grabbed a carton of succo rosso or a bottle of pellegrini.

i was utterly disappointed with this beer, the alexander is so much better. definately an acquired taste. it wasnt total crap, but i was wanting a lot more, and i can find it much better with numerous other belgians. worth a try, but again, its going to be one of those beers you either really love or really hate. im heading toward the latter.

2.8/5  rDev -34.7%

Appearance - Pours a dark amber. Rocky head. Fully diminishing.

Smell - Rotten wood with a hint of beaver piss. I now have beaver fever. Another whiff gives off soy sauce and lemonade.

Taste - Very sour close to lemonade mixed with tea. Puckering cherry and other sour fruit. I have a very hard time determining what else I'm tasting. No hops. No malt. No Yeast.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy and clean finishing.

Drinkability - Easy to drink but the flavor leaves a lot to be desired.

This would be my first sour ale. I am thinking because of high marks on this site that this is probably a good example of a style that I simply just don't like.

2.8/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: deep brown, tinged with red, quickly dissipating head. Fine, persistent, sheeting lacing.
S: sour, fruity, medicinal
T: dominantly sour, slightly bitter, malt/citrus
M: thin-medium body, sour bite
O: Not particularly enjoyable. Sour, on the watery side for a dark beer ... it feels like there's just something missing. I've heard it compared to champagne ... and I guess if you want a beer glass of middling champagne, this works.

2.87/5  rDev -33.1%

A - Brown with a large tan carbonated type head

S - Smells awesome. Hints of fruits and tartness dance in my nose. Can't wait to taste this one.

T - Well, I can't say the nose matches the flavor. There are hints of light malts and fruits, but there is an overwhelming acetic finish which is completely off putting. It's almost like drinking vinegar.

M - Light in body with a medium-heavy carbonation.

D - The cork was stuck in this beer so it took me a while to open this beer. It was fate telling me not to crack this beer by myself. It's far too tart to drink a bottle by itself. Any more than one glass is going to be a challenge.

2.88/5  rDev -32.9%

This beer shocked me. The color is an oak stain color. The head was unreal. I poured a small amout into a sampler glass and it turned into all head. No beer at all. It finally settled so here we go.

The smell is of wine. No question about it. Maybe some hidden caramel in there too. The taste will take you if you are not prepared. It tastes like wine as well. A very distinct flavor af soured grapes. The mouthfeel is active. The carbonation comes alive. The drinkability is affected by the alcohol. If the alcohol was not so up front this would be a much better beer. I could not drink this much but it would be ok time to time.

2.94/5  rDev -31.5%

I tried the Grand Cru once from the bottle, and once from a slender pilsner style glass, akin to my profile pic. This brew is an interesting mix of flavours. It has the barnyard gueuze undertones to it, yet it has a slightly malt vinegar taste to it.

If you are looking for a complex beer, this is a great example. It isn't torture to drink one of these, but I could not drink them all night like I could lambic ales.

Try it once anyway!

E

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%

this grand cru pours a very deep copper, with some reddish hues, the head is very thin and beige.
the aroma is a mix of carmelized malt, some unidentified spice, some mangos, and some thing acidic.
the flavor is malty, fruity, acidic, light.
i guess i'm not much of a fan of this beer, i dont like the acid zing, and the body is a little to light for the aroma.

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours like coca cola from a 12 oz. bottle with a quickly dissipating beige head with lively bubbles. A light sourness followed by a huge vinegar kick dominates the aroma and flavor, and to me, nothing could overcome that vinegar phenomena. Kind of tough to get through the whole bottle, to be honest. Not great at all; no cherry, oak, or other expression making it complex or noteworthy beyond the slightly unpleasant vinegar character. I've had good beers of this style and though according to many it's a benchmark, it's not enjoyable to me in the least.

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%

Nice tan head with lots of lace atop a dark brown-garnet beer.
Strong aroma of sour cherries plus earthy-dank notes.

Overpowering sourness with sour cherries, buttery-acetyl and alcohol bite. Very much of an acquired taste.

Decent mouthfeel for a strong flavored beer.

Not very drinkable to me. This beer might be right for someone really into lambics or lactobacillus flavors but it's not for me.

2.99/5  rDev -30.3%

750 ml bottle hanging out with a friend.

I'll be honest... I took one sip and I was immediately offput by the awkward tartness of this beer and the septic carbonation. There is a vinegar-like flux to it that really pulled my focus on the flavors away from the complexity of the beer. I had tried the Portsmouth Flanders and liked it, but there was a different approach to this one.

The color is incredible. Has a reddish tint when held up to the light, but the brown color is soft and full. The consistency is muddled in the smell, but the smell is quite round, rolling into the taste. The flavors and alcohol are overpowered by the tartness and, while smoky and oaky and slightly spicy, are dominated by the plum, apricot, and framboise flavors. Tartness also dominates the mouthfeel, but dissipates quickly with the awkward and rather late-blooming carbonation. But it drinks like a Belgian brown, with its complexity and fervent porousness. Excellent finish.

Tastes as much of fruit as of beer. A sour apple dum dum is not a bad comparison. Pours out brown as a bottle, 2.0 puckers out of a possible 5.

3.01/5  rDev -29.8%

Scorched earth in my mouth. Acidity to clean the enamel right off my teeth. My lady enjoyed it a great deal, I truly hope to re-review this sometime down the line with much more positive things to say! I want to enjoy it as much as you guys do :(

3.01/5  rDev -29.8%

Appearance - wow, the first ounce or two gets completely converted to about four fingers of foam. Getting a mug full of this beer will take some patience. Ends up a nice caramel amber capped with a solid film of multi-colored foam ranging from light mocha to cocoa brown.

Aroma - yeasty, mild funk mixed with some sour lemon. Hmm, I'm undecided.

Taste - sour lemon, sweet, musty. A mix of flavors, some I like more than others. The finish is dry, tart, and sour. Still not my favorite style.

Mouthfeel - lively carbonation with medium body, this beer has panache, that's for sure.

Drinkability - I liked it less at first and more as I progressed. Generally, this isn't a beer I'd revisit, but it's not bad, just not for me.

3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

I bought this at Brussel Sprouts together with my long awaited Abbaye Des Rocs Brune beer. I
was pretty skeptical about this beer due to reviews saying that it is sour. I am just not into
sour beers and that's the reason why I close myself to Lambics. The Rodenbach is a Flanders Red
Ale style of brewing and is generally sour and fruity (in a sense analagous Lambics though not
quite) This Flanders Red Ale pours out slightly dark ruby red with minimal head which quickly
becomes a fair lacing. It smells intensely sour with notes of grape. The sour taste was further
pronounced in the taste and it was kind of too overwhelming for me; it was very much like someone
spilled vinegar into a beer that tastes like a light wine. I could develop an appreciation for
this beer by sipping it and the entry taste was actually fruity and yeasty which was quite
pleasant. But once the pellates are filled and the after taste starts to kick in the vinegar
like sourness is domainating and even in the nose. All in all way to sour for me; after I got
used to it; the sourness was mainly overwheming in the after taste and on the nose. The after
taste also has grapes in it; somewhat like red wine but the sourness kills it all. This ale was
medium body and with an overly high level of carbonation. Drinkability is low and this one's
definitely a sipper unless you want to sour up your evening. Not really my type but I still
can slightly appreciate the grape and winey side of it.

3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

Dark red, wannabe brown. Spotty Lacing. Pretty color.

Band aid, dark fruit, cherry, cherry and more cherry. Cough syrup cherry. Very dense and sweet. Bits of raisin and raspberry.

Very yeasty/sedimenty/grainy - which I dislike in sours. Lots of cherry, vanilla undertones.

Aforementioned grainy mouthfeel, cloyingly sweet. So much fruit in this.

I have come to the realization that there is a particular brand of sours that I don't care for. It is these dense, super fruity, acidic and sediment ridden ones. I'll keep revisiting the style though as I know Rodenbach is a staple.

3.04/5  rDev -29.1%

Rusty bike chain, leaky D batteries, fermented cider, and deep inside, a robust Belgian beer. I shall drink it 'til I get it right! It is part of a bounty I captured at my new favorite place on earth. It is the 7th Belgian I've tried and is very distinct in character. At first taste I believed it to be bad. I quickly inspected the bottle cap looking for signs of rust. There were none. I proceeded to google. To my fiscal satisfaction, it's supposed to taste that way. I will inspect every drop.

3.11/5  rDev -27.5%

Burnished cherry color, fairly translucent, with a good 2 cm of vanilla colored head resting atop.
The smell is tart, with red fruit, merteuille (I forget the english name of this red berry) and dark vanilla extract.
It rolls into your mouth with a sweet, full-bodied taste. There is a very distinct taste in the back of the palate – like a pleasant vomit. It's very acidic, dark and fruity (like black cherries).
An interesting taste, but it's just too damn sweet. It's dark, syrupy, acidic and very sweet. Too heavy to be really drinkable, and a flat, or possibly 2-diamensional taste.

3.13/5  rDev -27%

Serving type: on tap at Monk's Cafe, Philadelphia, PA.

Pours a very dark amber color with a foamy off-white head. Very sour fruity aroma with hints of oak and vanilla. Intensely tart and acidic with a nice amount of sour cherry as well as oak and vanilla. Very sour with a puckering dry finish.

3.14/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours a cool dark red color with a small tannish white head. Smell was extremely sour, very jolly rancherish. Also some cherries and a noticeable vinnegar smell towards the back. Taste was a bit better, with the sour flavors and fruit melding together. Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied. This beer was simply too sour for me, and way too acidic for me to handle. Maybe it is just the style. Im not sure...this was my first example of the style. cheers

3.18/5  rDev -25.9%

Very pretty scarlet red, absolutely clear, with an off white head. Smell was both sweet and sour- vinegar and soy sauce, mostly. Sour fruits, perhaps. Taste left me conflicted, I'm still not sure if I liked it or not. Balsamic and regular vinegar with some berries added. Salad dressing came to mind. After much thought, I think this reminds me of a vinegary arbor mist. I'm still unsure if that's good or bad though. Mouthfeel was fizzy, like a champagne, perhaps. Weird beer, probably spot on for the style, but I don't know, I'm not sold on it.

3.23/5  rDev -24.7%

750ml tasted side by side with the classic red
08 Vintage

Appearance: Dark mahogany color with a tan bubbly head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Sweet cherry, touch of vanilla and vinegar.

Taste: Like a cherry sweet tart. Was expecting more sour. This tastes like a sugary tart candy.

Mouthfeel: The tartness kinda just hits you up front then goes away. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: Right now, Im not a fan of this beer. It is reminiscent of the 07 Panil Barrique, which I did not enjoy, but LOVED the 05. Hopefully I can get my hands on a few of these to age and maybe I'll think differently about it.

Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.