Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Grand Cru Alström Bros
4.37/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

A: Fully hazy, deep brown, hint of red. Head is small and patchy but never completely fades.

S: Apparently tangy in the smell. Sweet, bright flowers, a hidden bit of toasty malt, and a good portion of caramel-toffee maltiness. Wine and wild flowers. Very clean aromas.... Slight woodiness.

T: Deeply sweet and malty with punchy tangy fruitiness. Woody dryness, wine, floral....delightful.

M: The texture of this is fantastic. Smooth, almost creamy, slick, dry, and puckering in its sourness.

O: Awesome!

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750mL bottle into a tulip
no bottled on date

A: Pours a dark mahogany brown with 2plus fingers width of light mocha colored head, that is quite dense and had good retention. Leaves a good amount of streaky lacing.

S: Aroma is tart and sweet dark fruits. Cherries, figs, and currants. A good amount of oak. And a bitter sweetness, like bakers chocolate. There are some vinegary notes that I dont particularly enjoy, that detracts from an otherwise really nice aroma.

T: Some tartness, balanced by a large sweetness. VERY reminiscent of a homemade apple cider. Lots of dark fruit sweetness including plum and cherry to go along with the red apple. There are some malty notes of sweet bread. And the vinegar notes that I found somewhat unpleasant on the nose are here in the taste as well. I like it, but dont love it as I think its a little too sweet, and not enough sour for my palate.

M/D: High carbonation, which gives it a somewhat lively mouthfeel, but
its denser and heavier than I was expecting, and is also somewhat syrupy. Ever so slightly puckering it times, but for the most part the sourness doesnt reach that level. Drinkability is moderate, somewhat limited by the syrupy sweetness.

O: This was my first take on a Flanders Red. Its not what I was expecting, much sweeter and not as sour. I enjoyed it, but I much prefer the lighter feel with greater sour notes of Lambics and Gueuze's. I would drink this again if it were on draft somewhere and I was in the mood for something different, but its not something that I want to go out and buy another bottle of or a beer that would make my regular rotation. Worth a try though, for sure.

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer on tap at a wonderful new little bar / bistro in Stowe, VT called Crop. I am exploring the world of sours and when I saw this on tap I knew I had to get it, that and they just ran out of the Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy IPA, that was my first choice. The beer is light and refreshing with hints of cherries and a medium sourness. The flavor that is left in your mouth as you put your glass down is the part where this beer really shines. Nice to pair with a bland smooth cheese to reset your palate. I will most def. order this again.

Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.