Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
View: Beers (7) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Grand Cru Alström Bros
cakirkl

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Pours a dark brown, looks like a quad nearly. The two finger head doesn't stick around for long.

S - I can smell sour notes right as I pour it. But that's all I smell, just sour. Little disappointed on the nose factor of this one. As I let it warm up, I'm getting more wood'ish notes. As it warms the sour wears a bit, and gains a bit of complexity.

T - Hey, that's pretty good. This isn't as good as previous ones I've had. I was blown away by the first one of these I had. This one might be light struck or something. The taste is good, but not amazing. I'm going to let this warm up for a few minutes and see what happens.

M - Pretty solid on this count.

D - Feels pretty darn good, but leaves the mouth a bit dry, that's my only compaint.

05-13-2010 15:52:01 | More by cakirkl
HalfFull

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served into a small tulip glass and shared from a 750 ml. bottle. A firm pour yields one finger of bubbly off white foam atop a light brown body, clear and crimson in the light. Offers some artsy lacing after settling to a light film.

Tart cherry and some and light plum on the nose after a light hop presence dissipates with the foam. Some vinous grape notes initially, though lessening with air and exposing a bit of light wood and spice. Black currant adds some depth, along with a subtle hint of vanilla and carob, then more dark cherry. Nicely tart yet not really sour.

Mostly tart cherry in flavor and with a firm bite of carbonation that tingles the palate. A bit of smoke and wood appear briefly then a moderate fruit sense returns. Just a bit rich in viscosity through the finish to truly grab my attention. Carbonation holds up well over an hour yet drink is kept in check as the tartness numbs the palate somewhat, though paired with food this would surely not be a concern..

05-12-2010 04:56:03 | More by HalfFull
wedgie9

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

Tasted from a 750mL bottle. Pours dark amber with a thin white head. Nose of red wine vinegar, vanilla, sour cherry, and grenadine pomegranate sweetness. The first flavor is of vanilla and cinnamon oak, sour cherry, and somewhat sweet on the back displaying the pomegranate. The body and carbonation are both medium with a long sour finish. Overall, this is the best Flemish style beer I have had. It is super balanced and really showcases the perfect use of oak in this style of beer.

05-12-2010 04:35:12 | More by wedgie9
mj001jk

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

At Toronado, pours slight haze dark amber red. Nose of ripe red apple, caramel and citrus. Flavors are ripe and mellow with a fine acidic backbone. Tart cherry, apple sauce and balsamic vinegar on finish, a funky character lingers until closing time. Complex and rustic, feels aged and at prime. Nice smooth and sophisticated.

05-10-2010 00:42:50 | More by mj001jk
JamisonM

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

A: my goodness this beers color is great its a red mahogany with a light tan head lace looks really good it kind of coats the glass

S: light vinegar dark fruit and a slightly sweet smell also detectable very good and complex smell here

T: taste is like the smell but not as sour as I would have thought if Duchesse is a 9 for sourness this is like a 5 I shared this beer with a friend but I could have drank the whole 750

M: med mouth feel med carbonation

D: yea I could have drank the whole 750 myself and I was not expecting that

overall: exceptional brew with a lot of history behind it. I was expecting this to be good but this blew me away fantastic brew

05-07-2010 22:51:42 | More by JamisonM
brownbeer

Missouri

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

The beer is dark brown and red. It would be completely opaque if it weren't for a few ruby highlights around the edges. Not much head without swirling.

The nose isn't as balsamic vinegary as a lot of other examples of this style, though it's still there in spirit. A bonus for me. Sweet berries, a suprising hint of alcohol, and oak bounce around the nostrils. A little vanilla as it warms. It does have a mouthwatering acidity in the nose that preps you for something good.

The taste is similar to the aroma. Sweet up front. Reminiscent of plums, currants, and blueberries. If you let it sit in your mouth for a second the acidity comes to life and leaves a more sour finish. Otherwise, it's just a super-balanced, semi-sour chugger. As it warms a lot more complexity comes out. The barrel makes an appearance with vanilla and oak.

Soft and smooth, it's not a flashy beer, but it does encourage you to drink more and drink it quickly. This has to be my favorite example of this style.

05-07-2010 03:51:47 | More by brownbeer
glid02

Georgia

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a brownish-ruby color with a one-finger off-white head that has an orange tint. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of tart cherries with hints of vinegar, funk - softer and more earthy than brett-bombs but still more than noticeable, and oak. As the beer warms the funky aromas intensify a bit.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Cherries and currants that are mostly tart but also have a good deal of sweetness make up the majority of the flavor profile. Earthy funkiness with musty notes comes in midway through the sip before being tempered by a woodiness that's not obviously oak. The funk carries through to a decidedly tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could drink a whole lot of these.

Overall this is one of the most well-balanced sours I've ever had - everything is present and in almost perfect proportions. Undoubtedly worth a shot.

05-03-2010 03:26:51 | More by glid02
hopsbreath

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

Never having heard of this beer, and being VERY unfamiliar with the style, I gave this a shot on the recommendation from my beer guy. Apparently Rodenbach just returned to Georgia for the first time in a while so I decided to expand my palate a little bit.

Into a snifter I poured the chilled bottle and enjoyed over the span of an hour. The pour looked quite inviting. The body was crystal clear dark brown with ruby red highlights at the edges. The light tan head formed 4 fingers peaking out over the lip of the glass. No lacing was evident but I don't think, based on a little research, that lacing is typical of the style. I'm going to leave a little room for improvement so I'll give it a 4 for appearance.

The smell was unlike any beer I had ever had. Initially I thought it reminded me of red wine. Admittedly I don't drink wine often but that was the impression. The sourness quickly made itself apparent and hit me with strong lemon citrus and some of the acetic vinegar. I was a little leery of vinegar flavor in beer but have to admit, the subtlety of it worked well here.

The taste was great! I'm becoming more-and-more interested in sour beers and this one is no exception. Big sour tartness seems to over-whelm at the front end of the drink but quickly steps aside to let the other characteristics come out. Sour-cherry does a brief cameo as does some of the wood and vinegar. Once again the vinegar is not a detriment but seems to be a nice compliment. Wine drinkers refer to "tannins" as a characteristic in red wines, and while I don't entirely understand what that is, I think this has a little bit of it going on. Those little sensory taste buds at the side of my cheeks that pucker when encountering sour flavors did some real clenching here. I can't do justice everything that I tasted because of my in-experience in the style, but the take away here is that this is a complex/thought provoking drink. I consider myself a hop-head but was more than satisfied with this under-hopped example of what beer can taste like.

Mouthfeel was a little thin with soft carbonation. The carbonation was adequate enough that I think this would be a good "food beer". It really does a good job of scrubbing the taste buds with each sip allowing for a fresher palate between each bite of food.

While this is thirst quenching and refreshing, I think the sourness might be a little much to continue enjoying in a larger quantity. It's definitely nice and easy to sip over a longer period of time, but you probably don't want to be reaching for a third glass.

This is an interesting style. I will be trying out other one's when I get the chance and hope to re-visit RGC again in the future when I have developed a better taste for it. Recommended for anyone interested in expanding their horizons.

05-03-2010 01:19:17 | More by hopsbreath
mikereaser

On tap at Capones a while ago

A - pours a deep chestnut brown with a layer of fine bubbles resting on the surface

S - faint aroma of cherries, oak & leather

T - strong cherries and woodiness up front followed by the vinegar, tart with a little bit of vanilla

M/D - good flavor, smooth in the mouth, not overly puckery, nicely balanced brew

04-28-2010 15:36:53 | More by mikereaser
Nerfherderhan

Oregon

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

A- This is a beautiful beer with a dark almost mahogany color. Not much of a head to it, but thats whats expected.

S-This is my first beer of this type but I was definitely surprised by its sour fruit smell particularly of cherry and maybe a little bit of apple to it.

T- The taste was great and definitely unique to me as I have not had a beer like this ever before. With a tart fruity taste followed by a sweet malt taste, this is for sure the beer that I will be using as a benchmark for anything similar.

M- The mouthfeel is sour and sweet and actually leaves the tongue fairly fast, but not too fast as some brews I have had in the past (and not enjoyed nearly as much).

D- Not something that you could knock back a few of, but incredibly tasty and complex with each sip. At first I was taken aback a bit since it was my first of the kind, but I'm happy to have tried it and look forward to having it, or something of the like again.

04-24-2010 04:56:37 | More by Nerfherderhan
ShadesOfGray

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased from Cold Spring Beverage in Yardley, PA...who always seems to have in stock! Poured from a cork and caged 750ml bottle into my Delirium Tremens large snifter. Pours light pink from the bottle but fills the glass a super dark brownish red. A small frothy toffee colored head forms, but quickly dissapates into a frothy ring around the outside of the glass. Not much lacing to speak of...what's present slides relatively quickly.

Wow...what a potent aroma! Big vinegar wave up front...tons of funky and tart fruit. Earthy and oak notes throughout. The vinegar aroma in this Flanders Red is huge!

There's so much going on with this beer! Big vinegar tang up front, followed immidiately by a semi sweet and tart fruit flavor, followed again almost immediately by a massive funk! Big oak and wood flavors throughout. Mouthfeel is medium body, semi complex, high carbonation. This is one interesting beer. I have a feeling this would do well with age as it would most likely mellow out. The vinegar is almost repulsive...but the rest of the beer is outstanding and so inviting. I love it and hate it at the same time! With that said, I'd have to conclude this is definitely a top class beer!

04-18-2010 02:05:56 | More by ShadesOfGray
jminsc76

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

This review pertains to a 2008 version shared amongst alexd3891, myself, and some fellow beer peeps. Not much in terms of head, and what is sits atop a body of dark ruby.

Aromas of vinegar, oak, cherries, and something else is incredibly funky (but in a great way). Ahhh, lifts the nostrils into the heavens and beyond into the great void of ecstasy.

Flavors include a fine balance of the aforementioned bouquet characteristics, with everything coming together in a delicious balance of smooth tartness.

Mouthfeel is fairly tingly and somewhat dry, but the flavors remain king.

Overall, the 2008 just continues the long tradition that Rodenbach Grand Cru has been known for: a refreshingly transcendent experience among Flanders Red Ales.

04-17-2010 18:59:05 | More by jminsc76
alcstradamus

Washington

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a deep brown/red color with two fingers of head.

The aroma is an extremely tart blast of cherries and dark fruits. A hefty amount of oak, caramel, and floral hoppiness round it out. There seems to be a lot more booziness than the 6% ABV would indicate.

The flavor starts out very tart with notes of strawberry, cherry, and grapes. The mid palate and finish are dominated by oak, all the while some dark fruits linger around and stay in the aftertaste. Earthy hops and a cellar mustiness in the finish as well.

The body is medium and carbonation has a bit of a sting. Overall this beer is a style standard, there is no denying that. World class.

04-15-2010 20:57:06 | More by alcstradamus
Nbr1Geech

Germany

2.85/5  rDev -33.6%

Rusty bike chain, leaky D batteries, fermented cider, and deep inside, a robust Belgian beer. I shall drink it 'til I get it right! It is part of a bounty I captured at my new favorite place on earth. It is the 7th Belgian I've tried and is very distinct in character. At first taste I believed it to be bad. I quickly inspected the bottle cap looking for signs of rust. There were none. I proceeded to google. To my fiscal satisfaction, it's supposed to taste that way. I will inspect every drop.

04-11-2010 19:45:56 | More by Nbr1Geech
bellebouche

France

2.25/5  rDev -47.6%

No two ways about it. A very, very challenging beer.

I'm perplexed at the consistently stellar reviews for this beer. It's so highly rated yet deserves to be far more polarised. If you like this kind of thing - you're going to love it - but you really have to like it.

I'm not quite the the polar opposite in terms if actually disliking it but I have to say - if you're at all new to funk/sour/oxidised beers then step lightly.

So, down to business. I paid €3.15 for a 33cl bottle of Grand Cru, bought from a Belgian beer emporium in Thouars, France.

Bottle was marked up as BBE July 2010 and I'm tasting it in April 2010 so it's fairly close to the end of its stated bottle life.

I know 'fresh' is a misnomer but the bottle age might have had an impact on the beer I'm tasting here.

A. Spectacular deep ruby/garnet colour, impressive clarity and sparkle. Poured a huge thin cream coloured head which sank to cola-like rim of bubbles after a minute or two. After 4 mins, flat as a pancake with NO head at all. Some light brown edges at the periphery of the glass,

S. Sour cherry, treacle toffee, slight hints of an espresso coffee bitterness. Long backnotes of acetic vinegar harshness. Off smelling, some woody oak but very subtle

T. Cloying, full acid profile. Vinegar. No malt, no hops. Harsh black pepper minus the heat at the back of the palette.

M. Despite the acidic sharpness it's not at all thin as you might expect. Some mousse which disappears quickly. Persistent acid Zing at the edge of the jaws. Whatever the acid profile is that is so dominant actually flashes off if I hold a mouthful and starts to seer the back of the nose/sinus.

D. Very hard to approach this one - the kind of thing you're going to have to man-up for. It's actually hard to drink. I do wonder what percentage of bottles actually get finished. I can't easily think of a natural food pairing for this drink as it would overwhelm anything with a much simpler flavour profile. Maybe a very mature vintage English cheddar?

So. Will I drink it again? YES! If only to satisfy a small morbid curiosity that I didn't have a ropey bottle or that the rest of the world wasn't barking up the wrong tree.

04-10-2010 19:35:27 | More by bellebouche
oglmcdgl

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750 bottle after a great meal with friends.

A- a nice inch or so of tan head that settles to a ring. Gorgeous hazy dark red brown in color.

S- I love the nose on this. Funky must, apple cider vinegar, old oak, cherries, leather, the depth of complexity is staggering.

T- the nose doesn't lie, this delivers in a big way. Tart and sour, funky and woody. Over ripe cherries and apple cider again. Oak builds with a dry graininess as the brew warms.

M- crisp, clean and ever so refreshing with a nice pucker. Low carb but right in line for the style.

D- this brew is so perfectly drinkable. Its sour but balanced so well with the sweetness and oak that I have on more the one occasion had one after the other for hours.

04-07-2010 01:25:32 | More by oglmcdgl
ktrillionaire

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

If you read through my reviews, you will see that I am frequently confounded when it comes to literally expressing my appreciation for the most amazing beers I encounter. Perhaps I am overwhelmed, perhaps my zeal is just so personal that it is intangible; I don't quite understand why it occurs, but it is certainly the case with this Rodenbach Grand Cru.

I received this seldom-seen gem in a trade with Grynder33. Thanks Tom. I wish Rodenbach was distributed in Florida.

G - Cigar City snifter (I drank it at CCB)

A - Beautiful and brilliant reddish brown with a finger of tan foam and some splattered lace. It looks magnificent.

S - Acidic, vinegar and lactic; nice and strong with slight nuances of cherry, brine, fig, raisin and date.

T - A perfect balance of sour and sweet, earthy and musty woodiness, a sharpness, and a wonderful fruity finish. Par exellence.

M - This is the only under-performing aspect. It is good, but it could have more effervescence or body.

D - Are you kidding? Ridiculously luxurious.

04-05-2010 19:30:07 | More by ktrillionaire
beertunes

Washington

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into crystal tulip. The beer poured a reddish mahogany color with a thin cap of dark khaki color that had low retention and lacing.

The aroma was a sharp vinegary, sour scent some slight fruit notes blended in. I didn't really get much oak aroma. There was a bit more fruitiness in the taste than in the nose and the oak was subtly noticeable.

The body was fairly typical for the style, perhaps a touch on the thin side. Drinkability was good for the style, although I shared the bottle with 2 others, i could have easily drank the whole 750 by myself. As with all sours, drinkabilty is going to very with individual tolerances for the sourness.

Overall, a very fine example of the style, grab a bottle when you see it.

04-04-2010 20:42:36 | More by beertunes
juju7

Australia

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

A legendary beer I was very glad to finally try. Superbly intense nose of sherry, oak, nuts and a port like aroma. On the palate is just as unique with a lot of the same flavours creating a really cool, unique sour beer worth trying. Probably helps to be in the mood for it, but this is awesome.

03-29-2010 11:18:06 | More by juju7
Manoftyr

3.23/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured from 24oz growler into snifter

Appearance-Pours a deep brown/ruby red, some small head rose up from the growler pour but didn't retain into the snifty upon pouring.

Smell-Tart, sour fruit aromas assail the sesnes, I can make out what smells to me like sour cherries, grapes and a whisp of what smells to me like a mix between a lemon and a pear.

Mouthfeel-Soft and plushy, but rather surprisingly full.

Taste-A sour and refreshing tartness washes over with an immediate intensity followed shortly by fruity notes which taste reminiscent of the aroma; sour cherries, grapes and a third distinct flavor which I cannot put my finger on that is like a lemon/pear mix. Some very slight malty characters come through on the finish that sort of graze the back of the tongue with an instant of semi-sweetness.

Drinkability-Although it's refreshing, the overpowering sourness makes it so that I wouldn't want more than a single glass.

Notes-The Flanders Red is a unique style that everyone should try at least once, I did with this beer and I can say I'm glad I did. Now I can't say I liked it so much I'd go out and seek it again, but the experience of trying it at least once was worth the price.

Serving type: growler

03-26-2010 21:28:29 | More by Manoftyr
Flashsp2

New Mexico

Rodenbach Grand Cru 750mL into 11oz wine glass

Deep clear blood red with golden highlights around the edges. A one and a half finger tan colored head which leaves some light lacing and dissipates relatively quickly, leaving a thin layer that is fed by a steady and champagne-like carbonation.

Sour cherry candies on the nose. Apple cider vinegar, old oak, a bit of funk, tangy white wine, and a soft underlying sweetness.

I remember this being more abundantly sour the last time I had it. The flavors are still there, but it seems a bit muted, dumbed down a bit for a wider consumer base. The original formula was all 'old' ale, now it's a blend of 1/3 'new' and 2/3 'old' ales. There is the cider vinegar, sweet and under ripe tart cherries, There is a nice acidity that sits at the back of the tongue and spikes the saliva glands. There is a nice sweet/sour balance though, it's just toned down a bit from the last time I sampled. The oak creates a nice dryness on the finish, which seems to battle with the acidity in a dry/drool bout. There is just a wee-bit of funkyness in there, but not super present as it is in other Brett-powered brews.

Mouthfeel is soft and plush, with a surprisingly low carbonation level given the activity from the glass. A bit heavy, but not too hefty, just a solid and luxurious liquid.

This is easy to drink, as it is quite refreshing and well balanced between sweet and sour.

A- (A for the original formula)

03-22-2010 12:24:43 | More by Flashsp2
IrieJackalope

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Belgian-style goblet. The color is dark red, almost brown, slightly opaque with a fair amount of head. Good amount of lacing left behind. Aroma is almost solely sour apple, or lively tart yeast funk that one comes to associate with Flanders Red Ales. Taste is very balances; the sour notes are there but don't overwhelm other elements of the beer. Mouthfeel is very lively, but just enough to make the beer extremely drinkable. Very good overall, a good representation of what has quickly become my favorite style.

03-21-2010 07:49:32 | More by IrieJackalope
fairdinkum2

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured in to a tulip glass from a 750 ml bottle, this ale appears dark red brown and murky. One finger of foamy head that dissipates to a decent collar and lacing.

Quite an inviting sour green apple aroma with some background malt.

Tastes pretty damn good. Sour green apple and cherry flavors. The finish keeps going for a good 30 seconds. Yes there is sourness, but it's very well balanced, not overpowering. That pucker up quality really adds to the ale's drinkability which is further enhanced by the moderate carbonation.

03-21-2010 00:16:34 | More by fairdinkum2
Ek0nomik

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured In: Snifter
Purchased At: HyVee (Madison, WI)

Appearance: The pour produces half a finger of foamy head that runs away after just a few seconds. Looking through the whole glass the beer has a bistre color, but when just a fraction of the beer is held to light it has a burnt umber and Bulgarian rose color. It's hard to see through the beer, but judging by the top of the pour it doesn't look effervescent which I was expecting. Although, perhaps I shouldn't have expected it as I don't think any of the other flanders red ales that I have had have produced effervescence in the glass.

Smell: The nose has the obvious brown malt playing in the background, but on top of that sits a handful of sourness, tart cherries, vinegar, vanilla and oak.

Taste: Just like the nose, brown malt sits in the background while the exciting features both jump out, and slowly come out. The acidic sourness comes out immediately bringing along a tart cherry flavor with it. Notes of oak, vanilla and vinegar start to creep out, followed by plum juice. The aftertaste leaves me with more cherries, although now they are more sweet than tart.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with a medium amount of carbonation. The first few sips were aggressively carbonated, but as usual, after letting it sit for a few minutes it became more pleasant.

Drinkability: This will end up in my crate again for sure. I can't remember how much it was, but I think the price was pretty reasonable. Around $10 or so I do believe for the 750mL bottle. This has a really nice set of flavors, quite a bit of sourness (not as much as La Folie, but because of how sour La Folie is I think this is slightly more drinkable).

03-14-2010 01:39:30 | More by Ek0nomik
bret27

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

S: Oaky, tart, vanilla, brett, berries

A: Very dark ruby brown, thick creamy dark head

T: Sweet and tart cherries, touch of vanilla and woodiness. Tart, vinegar, extremely dry finish.

M/D: Medium, slick, and dry. Very delicious and drinkable.

Overall: I like the more oak aging on this one, than the normal version. The extra oak/wild bugs adds more flavor and yet more dryness, making it more drinkable for me.

When I realized I gave it an A+, I kind of second-guessed myself, but I stand by it. This is a phenomenal Flander's Red. World class IMO.

02-28-2010 07:37:46 | More by bret27
Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.