Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Grand Cru Alström Bros

3.4/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured into a tulip. This is dark brown with amber hues. There is a light tan bubbly head.

The aroma is slightly sweet malt vinegar, lots of acidic character here.

The taste starts out with a nice vinegary tartness and finishes with just a bit of sweetness in the finish. This is one of the better balanced Flanders Red Ales, which for the most part I consider a garbage style. This isn't too bad though. I would probably say it's kind of tangy.

The body is medium, with nice sharp carbonation.

Good, but I'll pass for other sours most of the time.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance - dark red with little to no head

Smell - Sour cherry aroma.

Taste - Sour cherry juice fruitiness balanced by a background malt sweetness. No hops taste present Finishes tart.

Texture - Medium smooth

Overall - this inadequate review fails to do justice. More research will be required.

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%

This was my first ever sour ale, and, dare I say, first beer love. It will forever hold a dear place in my heart.

A: Didn't get much of a head, but there was some gentle lacing. An entrancing, deep-brown.

S: Wonderfully complex on the nose, with the tartness definitely coming through.

T: In a word, inspiring. I'm by no means a well-seasoned beer-head, but holy cow did this floor me. Lovely caramel/brown sugar notes, with some lingering balsamic, though there are a whole host of flavors that I can't articulate. The dryness is so enthralling. I can't stop drinking this.

M: A good amount of body, but by no means heavy. The sour element is certainly pronounced, and does allow for some pucker, but I do love sour things generally so this was right up my alley.

If my breakdown didn't give you a good impression of my feelings on this beer, all I can say is that this is a show-stopper. I'm probably being too effusive in my praise, but I do think this beer warrants it.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.