Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Grand Cru Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,053 | Hads: 3,602
4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into my tulip glass a deep burgundy with a large blooming head,sour cherry to be expected dominate the aromas with a touch of iron and barnyard as well.This stuff can make you pucker sour cherry hits hard on the tastebuds but rounds nicely into a more sweet cherry-pie like flavor in the finish.It has an almost creamy mouthfeel to it as I drink more the more it grows on me once your palate gets used to the sour tinge this stuff goes down very easily,glad to try this classic. (485 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draught: I didn’t expect the aroma of this: It was a lot like a fine red wine. There were some notes of sour cherries in there, as well as some sweet malts. A dark reddish-brown/amber color. There was a bit of an off-white head with some lacing. Deliciously sour taste of cranberries/apples. Excellent!!! (305 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

This is some complex stuff. Redish brown in colour. Not much of a head, but a fair amount of carbonation. The aroma falls somewhere between sour cherries and cranberries, with a hint of red wine vinegar. The taste is quite similar to the smell, with some malt and cola notes mixed in as well. The palate was surprisingly light and fizzy, which made this beer quite refreshing. Overall, this isn't the type of beer that I could drink ALL of the time, but it's still fantastic. (475 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a beautiful reddish brown, pretty clear, with a big off white head that laces. Smell is sweet with a very sour cherry type aroma. Taste is all sour cherries, cranberry juice in the middle, then a very dry tart finish. Very strong sour aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel, nice and thick, low carbonation. Excellent ale. (318 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

It pours a reddish-chestnut brown beneath a short lid of creamy tan foam that drops shortly to a standard collar with just some spider-web surface covering (which is common for the style). It does, however, leave some nice splashes and spots of lace about the goblet.

The nose is grape-like, and vinous; with some earthy character (muddy, mineral-rich barnyard), and a touch of underlying wood.

In the mouth it's medium-light bodied but with a certain amount of dextrins, and it's very-fine, natural (bottle-conditioned) carbonation is gently effervescent.

The flavor is tart and sweet right up-front like dark grapes (Concorde even), with a combination of cherry and plum-like fruitiness that's backed by a wide, sweetish caramelish malt base. It's not overly sugary, but there's definitely some dextrinous sweetness there acting as a soft platform for it's spritely, spinning, and sublimely metallic-spicy tart character. The bitterness is limited, as it should be, and the tartness and drying woodiness balance it well, and bring it to a fruity, but still raspy-dry finish.

The Rodenbach beers are of the highest caliber, and this is their finest. It's refreshing and exciting! (1,193 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear deep amber brown with a frothy and tall tannish head which rose up and fell slowly to coat the chalice.

The aroma was fruity but strongly acidic and sour with grapeskin and grape aromas coupled with strong oak and some citrus notes.

The flavor was outstanding with no strong sourness as announced by the aroma. The flavor contained a sourness but it was restrained and coupled with oak. The flavor was fruity with cherries and light grapes and even lighter grapeskin tannins.

The finish was even with drying occuring into the finish. The slight sourness in the flavor added complexity into the finish and the fruity cherry flavored lingered till the beer dissappeared into the afteraaste. The body was just below medium and well done. I could have drank this for days...hookup the I.V. and let it flow. If more aroma was on the ball this would have beer truly outstanding.

33 cl bottle. Best before 19/11/05. Thought I had rated it earlier, guess not. Purchased in Vienna, VA at either Norm's or Whole Foods. Label is in Dutch. (1,086 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

A beer with a very clean finish, though not the most drinkable. The aroma is very welcoming, suggestive of a dry sour cherry like flavour. A complex flavour indeed. The flavour starts with an intense vinegar sourness, followed by hints of dry hops aftertaste. The aged oak taste is quite addictive and very much defines the character of this beer. Maybe I will try this one again with fish and chips for just an experiment. (423 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

... what pezoids said... pretty much covers it. The smell held promise of something very complex and thus I was prepared for a taste fairly high in alcohol as we often expect from beers called "Grand Cru". Nothing could have been further from the truth. Complex yes. But, at 6% you could do it over and over and over. This could be Monk's Flemish Sour's BIG Brother....
Samples were available for all who showed up at Eulogy for the Philly Crawl on Friday. I know that I'm a slacker. Where are the rest of the reviews. I can't wait for wider availability... (558 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle. Light brown and clear in color with a nice fluffy tan head. Candi sugar aroma. Sour tasting. Very tart cherry like . Tart cherries in the nose. Flavor is malty and sweet. Well balanced beer. Some oak in the finish. Finish is refreshing and tart. Drinkable and enjoyable. (278 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle. Err...wow! Poured deep garnet with a reasonable head. Aroma just blew me away. Huge, sour acetic, lactic, medicinal (acetone almost) and funky. Taste was as per the aroma, reminded me of linctus phocodeine (cough medicine) that I used to take when I was a kid but with a little more funk and sophistication. What an amazing beer! (337 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

pours a mud red/brown
head is tight and dense, vanilla ice cream colour, nice lacing, doesn't stick for too long
aroma is of strong concord grape juice, welch's. strongly sour and wine-like. almost a grapelike bubblegum fragrance
sour grape, winey start, oak aging really comes through, rounds out with a sweet malt middle, either hoppy or sour bite to finish.

really enjoyed it. didn't expect it to be as sour as it was, but loved it. couldn't drink em all night, but fantastic with food or after dinner. (511 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

The instant liquid hits glass aromas of berry pie and marshmallows, puff pastry and apple blossoms, wet leaves and thunder assault your olfactory senses. Goddam! A draught releases slight sweet cherry juice through the taste buds then quickly balances with acidity. Perfectly tuned bubbles keep it light, smooth and rich. Beautiful.

Thanks to my good pal Evan for sharing this treat after fifty begs and a firstborn. (419 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8%

I usually don't like sour beers, but I figured I'd give this a try as it was being reintroduced to the US and the brewer was in my friend's bar (Sean Bolans) at the time. Poured on tap into a Rodenbach stemmed glass. Sorta a redish dark ruby color. Initial smell is of sour cherries. Taste really surprised me. Not nearly as tart as the bottled version I had. Lots of sour cherries, lemon zest, and a bit of an acidic tartness. Aftertaste of the cherries lingers somewhat unpleasantly in your mouth, although others may like this. Not nearly as badly as the bottled version in my opinion. Couldn't drink more than one or two of these in a row though. I cleansed my pallate with a Dominion Real Ale afterwards :) Will never be my favorite beer, but then again I don't really like the style. Others seem to love this beer so by all means check it out. (849 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Michael at the Eulogy Bar was kind enough to let us sample this rare beer at his bar. Poured into an authentic Rodenbach stemmed glass, this beer looked fabulous from the start – Glowing bright amber in appearance and topped with a thin lacy head of foam. The aroma is exceptional and very misleading. Like a lamb in wolfs’ clothing! After the first whiff, you would think that this was going to be a very heavy beer with a big body. Freshly tapped maple syrup was the initial aroma, then came oak, vanilla and finished with tart bing cherries. The beer is truly revealed after the first sip. Light and almost airy, with a perfect sourness. The finish is crisp, clean and leaves a lemon zestfulness on the tongue. A real beauty of a beer. (740 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -30.7%

I tried the Grand Cru once from the bottle, and once from a slender pilsner style glass, akin to my profile pic. This brew is an interesting mix of flavours. It has the barnyard gueuze undertones to it, yet it has a slightly malt vinegar taste to it.

If you are looking for a complex beer, this is a great example. It isn't torture to drink one of these, but I could not drink them all night like I could lambic ales.

Try it once anyway!

(449 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Reviewed from a 33cl bottle with a date on the back of 01/03/06. Appearance is of a cherry wood colored body with a light tan head on top. A bit bubbly in the glass this left a decent bit of lace. Aroma is quite rich with tart cherries and some sweet malt. Notes of woodiness also blend in quite well. The tartness had a bit of edge to it. Flavor starts off with tart fruits up front. The sourness is cut a bit by an underlying sweetness and woodiness. Not as balanced as the Red, but it works out better that way. A biting sourness with a hint of cherries is how this finishes. Mouthfeel is lively with carbonation and is very crisp and clean. Drinkability is exceptional. I should have got me some more of this when I had the chance. Very tasty and refreshing. This will definitely get me more into the style. (811 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a deep red with a frothy light tan head which diminishes to a layer of bubbles on the surface. No lacing down the glass. Sour aroma, some fruits too. Strong sour flavour which lasts and lasts. Not too overpowering though. Nice, like lemonade. That's the closest thing I can match it to - lemonade, with some malt. A taste until what I've normally tried in a beer. I've only ever tried one gueuze before, and now this. Nice mouthfeel. This is an intriguing style. Tasty for certain, but I'm not sure how many I could drink. I do like the sour taste, but I'm not sure I could have many of them. Still, a nice enjoyable beer. (628 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -66.7%

I tried this beer with no preconceptions, although it was a Belgian Grand Cru. It may be my first Flanders Red Ale, but I've had quite a few oak aged beers in the past. I didn't like the taste. Too sour, very unique and lacking in a real beer feel. Tasted like Shiraz, in that it was dry and peppery, although it also had a watery consistency. Generally it was unpleasant, I don't think I'll be having another one, and I'll be noting my aversion to the style (not many beers of this style are available in Australia). A real disappointment. (540 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -13%

A multi coloured brew. Depending on how the light hits the glass, the colour changes. Sometimes, it's almost purple. Other times, cola black. Sometimes, red. Considering the colour it most appears to be is red, I'll say it's red. Sort of a cherry red. Quickly foams up, only to die down with no head. Glass is clean, so I know that's not the reason. Still, little whisps of lace stick to the glass. First smell is sour. Lot's of citrus, cherries, and some raw malt. First taste. Whoa, hits you unexpectedly. Sour at first, then finishes with some malt and vanilla sweetness. Second taste, the sweetness becomes a bit stronger, but the sourness does not weaken. Aftertaste is a bit strong of cherries. Not to my liking, but a minor setback. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and smooth. Pretty good beer. But for me, the cherry aftertaste is too strong. (842 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

*Bottle: 33cl
*Alcohol: 6%
*Special beer category is not noted
*Brewery: Brouwerij Rodenbach, B-Roeselare 8800
*Place beer was reviewed: Den Stillen Genieter, Nauwstraat 9, B-2800 Mechelen

As soon as I ordered this beer I knew I was up for something special. When I saw the bartender go down into the cellar I could barely wait to take the first nip. And a exceptional bottle it was . It had been waiting patiently for me since 1992.
It poured a dark red beer with a small head. When I looked through the glass I could make up a dark-red and orange colour. The first smell was a fruity sour odour. Quite like the normal Rodenbach. And then came the first taste. Truly magnificent! A deep sour and at the same time a rewarding sugary taste. The sourness kept on lingering in my mouth, but never was it to powerful. Just like you would want it to be. It did remind me of some traditional Gueuze, but this was truly a unique taste.

Ut vivat, crescat, floreat! (968 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Deep ruby red/brown with a pale pink dense head that settles to a film after a while. It really does look mysterious and wonderful.

Coppery and sour on the nose, hints of maraschino cherries, pickled onions, fresh herbs, nutmeg, all underpinned by a syrupy sweetness. Smells unbelievable, unique and rich.

Coppery sourness on the front palate with a dryness that slowly spreads around your mouth like a dry red wine. There is a peppery spiciness there as well which beautifully counterpoints the sweetness. It takes some time to drink it, but you can savour every moment of it.

I can understand why some people might not like this. It certainly has the ability to offend if you're not prepared for it. I absolutely love this one. I get the taste for this in my mouth for days afterwards.

Truly remarkable (816 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance: Reddish brown with a small head.

Smell: This smells like candy and good scotch. Very peaty.

Taste: Very sour. A little too much so for my liking. Not like a lambic, but still quite sour. Like Sour Chews candy with a hint of blackberry.

Mouth: A bit thin.

Overall, it's OK. I guess. Fans of lambics might like it, but I won't be rushing out to get more. (376 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -21%

I was looking forward to tasting this beer so when my friend got a hold of a bottle I was quite excited. The beer poured a cloudy brown with light read hues and no head on it. The aroma had a dry grape smell along with some sweetness. The flavor was just sour, sour, sour like a mean old woman. Also some flavors of cherry (kriek) and a bit of a yeasty flavor. But the cherry and the yeast flavors were getting the shit beaten out of them by the sourness, just like my palate. The beer was puckering in the mouth with a bit of a ferric character to it. Overall I was very disappointed in this beer. I had such high hopes but htey were dashed in a blaze of sourness. This beer was just too sour for my tastes. Thanks, but no thanks. Not my style. (745 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Clear, deep orange/amber colour topped by a full tan head that quickly receeded to a thin lace. Good stickage and retention.

Smell: Very prominent aroma of sour cherries was released as soon as the bottle cap was removed. Vinous grape and roasted (almost smoky) aromas appear when the beer is agitated. Hints of biscuity malts are also hiding in there along with a bit of alcohol and oak. This beer has one of the most interesting aroma profiles of those that I've tried.

Taste: Acidic tartness is present (and dominant) from beginning to end. Much of this is due to green apple, grape, and subdued sour cherry flavours. Sweetness shows up mid-sip, but disappears just as fast. The finish is long, dry, and tart.

Mouthfeel: Medium/light body and moderate carbonation. Texture is dry, but not grainy. Quite refreshing.

Drinkability: This beer has one of the most interesting aroma profiles of any beer I've tried, which makes it very enjoyable. The finish keeps the palate quite clean and the complexity keeps things interesting. This is a very enjoyable beer.

330mL brown bottle with best before date clearly printed on rear label. (1,158 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Another brew split with fish113d. Big thanks to Manekineko for the hookup!
I am sampling @ room temp in a tulip glass. the beer pours a clear cranberry color with minimal off white head that fades to an edge layer quickly. Aroma is tart, sour cherries, merlot wine, and some light oak scents mixed with a bit of vanilla. The first sip reveals a lighter body and fine yet prickly carbonation.
Flavor is as advertised by the nose, tart and sour cherries mix with a hint of oak but mostly puckering sour. I dig it!
the finish is very light with a lingering tartness and wine flavors in the burp. QUite an experience, I really enjoy this style. (644 characters)

Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.