Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Grand Cru Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,040 | Hads: 3,544
2.95/5  rDev -30.4%

Nice tan head with lots of lace atop a dark brown-garnet beer.
Strong aroma of sour cherries plus earthy-dank notes.

Overpowering sourness with sour cherries, buttery-acetyl and alcohol bite. Very much of an acquired taste.

Decent mouthfeel for a strong flavored beer.

Not very drinkable to me. This beer might be right for someone really into lambics or lactobacillus flavors but it's not for me. (407 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12%

I was afraid hype would get the better of this beer as I have heard much high praise. Fortunately, this beer lived up to its hype.

Deep brown cherry colored with a tall fizzy brilliant white head. Head reduces, lacing moderate, good signs of carbonation. Smell is strong on oak and sour cherries. In fact that was it for awhile but then some yeasty raw flavors came out and were really unique with their wildness yet restraint. Taste begins sweeter than I thought. Braeburn apples dipped in caramel. Sourness ensues. Sweeter woody flavors under but don't come completely through. Yeast funk rises instead. Sourness stays. Tart fresh picked unwashed cherries. Apple cider vinegar. Purely acidic finish. Wait, a touch of earth too. Mouthfeel is prickly from the carbonation and that's how it should be. Man this is enjoyable. Complex, easy to drink, flavorful, balanced enough. Me likey! (889 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a ruddy russet copper topped with a frothy khaki pillowy head cap leaving drippy pillowy lace sliding down the glass.

Light oaky wooden bouquet is subtle yet prescent.

First swigs: Tart Granny Smith apple pucker meeting a cherry pie crust malt. Some soft lingering of lemon and confectioner’s sugar sweetness. Tartness is kept in check. Slightly red wine vinious.

Medium bodied and easily drinkable with a 6% abv. Carbonation seems a touch foamy. (465 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

This was a 750 that Realale sent to me as a suprise. So I must thank him first for this unreal ale.

This beer pours a reddish amber color with a light tan head that leaves nice lace on my glass. Looks refreshing.

I am immediately hit with a huge fruity aroma the second I popped the cork on this one. I smelled the top of the bottle and I got a mixture of all kinds of things. There was fruit, peppers, vinegar, and some mild oak presence. Pouring this into my glass it was intensified.

The flavor is like nothing I've tasted. The first sip took me by suprise. I couldn't believe how much sourness was in there. There is presence of sour fruit, mild vinegar, and there is some hot pepper (possibly Cyan pepper) finish in the back of the throat. After I got used to it I could pick up on more sweetness and fruit (raspberries, cherries). This beer warms you all the way down to your stomach. This is a very complex and tasty beer but if you have a 750 ml bottle of this you should definately share it with a friend or two.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with heavy carbonation. It consumes the mouth like pop rocks.

The drinkability is a little bit lower because this is such an intense flavor. I highly recommend trying it if you have an experienced palate. Not for the faint of heart. (1,301 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -9%

Aroma: Firm sour note, with some sour cherry and malt

Appearance: Amber glass with a tan head that left a good curtain of lace

Flavor: Tart! The sourness gives a real bite. Again, some sour cherry and a hint of what I’ve heard others describe as a nail polish note. Funny, I HATE nail polish, but it strangely works in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation and a puckering astringency.

Overall Impression: Easy drinking, which is a bit dangerous. The sour is firm, but it has enough base to keep the drinkability high. Enjoyed this in the Poperinge city square at Café de la Paix. (597 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

$7.99 750 mL 6.00% Best by 9/07.

Appearance:

Pours a deep almost opaque reddish brown that is freckled with carbonation, though only a thin haze rimes the top.

Aroma:

As tart and acidic as the regular rodenbach, but with an underlying vanilla/oak component. That gentles it a bit, and somewhat lessens the cherry aspect.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

This one pops in the mouth! Even more tart than the original with intense cherry/raspberry overtones that send your salivary glands into high gear. This beer doesn't ask for respect, it demands it. I'm almost forced to chew on this one, as the juices released in my mouth congeal a bit. Some subtle oak nuances are apparent, though I don't know if this is worth the few extra dollars over the regular. (760 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%

Picked up in Washington on a recent visit. I haven't seen it locally (LA) so it was a must buy. A dark amber color with a off white head that leaves little lacing.

Fruity and spiced ale taste hits me up front. A bit of wild yeast combine to give it a citrus almost acidic type flavor and mouthfeel. The theme to this beer though is in its wooded, smoked, oaked flavor. Lots of earthy roots balanced by the mildly wild yeast, funky backer. Cherries are present and give it a level of sweetness that is needed. Highly peppered in the mouthfeel and down the throat, it adds a unique kick to this brew that I like very much.

Notes: quite the tart and sour little treasure. Hops don't really make a presence and aren't necessary. One that I will pursue and purchase whenever possible and a worthy brew just short of greatness in the end. (839 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -37%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

RGC pours a deep red-cognac color with generous carbonation and a settling tan head. Quickly dispersing industrial vinegar nose, leading to repressed malty-apple cider vinegar nose. Taste of moderate tart laden cherries and an inhaled fresh black pepper attack upon the tonsil area of the throat. Medium bodied and strangely refreshing, there is some desensitizing to the overly assertive acids that are omnipresent within. I tried this version after it was recommended to me that the Grand Cru was "much better" than the standard version. This version of the style is commercial, squeaky clean and aromatically void of any discernable bret or wild yeast elements available to the taster.
I still continue to find it impossible to grasp what it is that turns beer enthusiasts on when consuming the Rodenbach line, as there is nothing hedonistic about it. Lacking true Flanders red authenticity; and as much as I try to convince myself that this is an enjoyable product; ingestion is a definite struggle. (1,005 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Holy guacamole is this sour! It's the equivalent of biting a lemon or sticking yout tongue on a nine volt battery! WOW! Don't get me wrong, these aren't negatives for the style and I went into this 750 ml. bottle knowing what to expect! I can't imagine what somebody who bought this thinking "Oh it's just another Belgian" would think after sip one!
This pourred a bright ruby brown with a nice head in my chalice.
There's a nice sourish fruity smell that's pleasant. Off the bat, the taste is sweet but then KABAM a wall of sourness hits! Boy does it hang around for a bit too.
The mouthfeel is right for the style but boy is it overpowering. Drinkability for me is on par or average. Because of the sourness I just can't see this as one that I'd make a session beer out of. I'm glad I tried it though as it's a very interesting style that I had trepidations about even drinking... Alas, nothing ventured nothing gained. I will definitely try others of the style (967 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -25.9%

Pours a cool dark red color with a small tannish white head. Smell was extremely sour, very jolly rancherish. Also some cherries and a noticeable vinnegar smell towards the back. Taste was a bit better, with the sour flavors and fruit melding together. Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied. This beer was simply too sour for me, and way too acidic for me to handle. Maybe it is just the style. Im not sure...this was my first example of the style. cheers (454 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Nice muddy brown color but has a brightness to it. Some good red hues running thru it. Big head that dies right away. Good aroma-sour cherries and a trace of oak. Sour smelling. Incredible flavor-perfect blend of sourness and fruit. Just a hint of oakiness. The sourness is just right and balanced with a nice sweet finish. Nice fruit in the backround. Good mouthfeel-very full though quite refreshing and light at the same time. Very, very drinkable and enjoyable. I will be buying this again and again. (504 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

750mL bottle, corked n caged.

Murky brown with a mocha head that fades to a thin ring around the glass. Some carbonation visible and some yeast sediment.

Smells like vinegar and wine. Very fruity but the alcohol is very overwhelming.

Very tart all the way through, appley and grapey. Alcohol isn't too prevalent in the taste as it was the aroma.

High carbonation and thin mouthfeel. Kind of tough to drink through the tartness. But overall its above average. (471 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -19.1%

750mL bottle, corked and caged, into a thin Lindemans pilsner.

clear amber orange with tons of rising bubbles and a creamy layer of off-white head that retains well and leaves plenty of lace.

what an odd combination of aromas. sharp sweetness with cherries, apples, raisins and honey; sharp sourness with sour grapes and cherries; vinegar, resiny woodiness.

initial apple and raisin sweetness, then an overpowering lemon, cherry and grape sourness with a strong note of balsamic vinegar in the finish. fairly light feel and carbonation. unsparingly strong in its flavors, but the combination and finish are slightly off-putting. (637 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance: This beer pours a golden ruby color with a big head and lots of active carbonation bubbles.

Smell: The aroma is reserved in my limited experience with the style. However with a bit searching there was a little bit of tart cherries and grapes.

Taste: The taste is very sugary and yet tart. Much more tart than I had expected but I believe that was largely because of the carbonation that the tart seemed exaggerated. The bottle claimed that is was aged in oak for 18month. I had to use a lot of imagination to find an oak flavor. Overall it is good, but I believe I had too high of expectations. I was hoping for something that could compete with the Duchess.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is hard to describe. The tartness brought on a pucker and stung the taste buds a bit and yet underneath the big fluffy crisp carbonation the beer had a medium light smooth body.

Drinkability: Despite being a bit different than I had expected this is a tasty beer that drinks very easily.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,030 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Dark ruby-red color, a bit murky, topped by a thin bubbly off-white head that quickly dissolved into nothingness. Nose had a lot of sour cherry notes, hints of vanilla and a wooden aroma gleaned from the oak aging. I also picked up occasional hits of vinegar and that ol' farmhouse funk.
The taste had an immediate sharp tart taste of cherries and currants. It got to the point where my jaws ached after a while. Oaken flavor presented itself mid-palate as did some light vanilla. Very dry and light, velvety feel.
Overall, darn tasty and quaffable. Still, I think I might prefer the Classic over this creation. Hard to say, but I know I'm looking forward to having the GC again. (681 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -60.1%

Pours a reddish brown color with a decent sized head. Looks decent, if not a little typical.

Very tart to the nose, hints of raspberries and sour apple. Overpowering and not at all pleasant.

Taste is terribly sour, like sucking on a green jolly rancher. Hints of acidic vinegar and ripe raspberries. Mouth puckeringly sour, with little else going for it. Oak notes are subdued and pretty much nonexistent behind the yeast-induced sourness. Made my mouth feel nasty afterwards too.

After spending $10 for a bottle, I certainly wasn't going to pour this down the drain, but I did think about it. I forced myself to drink every last drop of this god-awful beer. I award it no points for being unique. Just a terribly unappetizing beer. (742 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Very low carbonation level. Looks a tad like rootbeer with a burgundy highlite. Very murky and mysterious.

S: So unbelievable. Sour port, bing cherries, green apples, oak and vinegar.

T: Wonderfully balanced between dry sourness, crisp sweetness and neat maltiness. Finishes with smooth carmelized oak that lingers long on the tongue.

M: Seems light on the palate early but as the flavors linger in the mouth it becomes more full bodied.

D: One of the best beers in the world. My favorite Flanders. (517 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Bjohnson for this bottle. For whatever reason,someone has deemed it necessary that this brew cannot be stocked in the Midwest. Well of course this is all about the sourness aroma was sour cherry, sour plum sour raisin,sour grape at times almost vinegary, amber brown color, the taste, jeez, pure sour and acidic fruit, definite taste of having sat in a barrel, the burps are burning my nose, but its wonderful. Becomes almost to astringent as it warms,but taken in small amounts while its cold, a fantastic late afternoon summer sipper (545 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Nice flemish sour ale. Especially like the flavor from the oak aging process. Hard to get around here. Has a much better finish than the regular rodenbach.

ABV not very high in this ale at (6%) its a little low. I would have expected a higher ABV. Still an excellent brew though. (283 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampled in Antwerp, Belgium. Listed as 6.5% ABV on the bottle.

This Grand Cru poured a cloudy, light coffee-brown color with creamy, tan foam that settled but clung to the glass in places. The smell was sour and tart with aromas of dried fruit: prunes, currants, and faint cherries. The taste was lightly sour with the flavor of dried fruit, including prunes, and with a lightly malty undertone beneath the tartness. Very nice flavor. The mouthfeel was sharp, crisp, and tart, with medium body and strong carbonation feel. The flavors lingered briefly on the palate before they were gone. This was a very nice beer, though it did not seem greatly different than the "regular" Rodenbach. Nicely drinkable and thirst quenching. (728 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Dark crystaline ruby with a frothy head of beige that sizzles down to a thin veil, leaving no traces of it's self.

Aroma is both taunting and seductive; black cherries, berries, ripe apple and dried fruit are washed away by notes of barrel-aged vinegar, thick Tamari, and horsey, farmy funk. There's a slight woodsy undertone that seals the deal.

Flavor is a Steel Cage match between ripe, rotton fruit, tart vinegar funk, and dry oaked soy sauce. There are layers of cherry, red berry, and orchard fruit countered by tart, acidic, farm-infused funk. The oak aging mellows it out just enough to make drinkability insane. Do I want to drink it, marinate a steak in it, or pour it on my Waldorf salad? I dunno, but gimme, gimme, gimme!

Body is medium, sticky, and has a soft, prickly mouthfeel. Each sip leaves you drooling for the next. Good stuff. (857 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -25%

Very pretty scarlet red, absolutely clear, with an off white head. Smell was both sweet and sour- vinegar and soy sauce, mostly. Sour fruits, perhaps. Taste left me conflicted, I'm still not sure if I liked it or not. Balsamic and regular vinegar with some berries added. Salad dressing came to mind. After much thought, I think this reminds me of a vinegary arbor mist. I'm still unsure if that's good or bad though. Mouthfeel was fizzy, like a champagne, perhaps. Weird beer, probably spot on for the style, but I don't know, I'm not sold on it. (547 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Painted 750 that has gold foil over a cork and cage. For some reason the best before date of July '09 is jetted on the bottom of the bottle. Poured into a Maudite tulip.

Dark copper over a tall head of light tan that shows good retention and layered rings of lace.

Dark ripe apples, cherries and grapes that have gone sour in an oaken barrel. Sharp yet fruity and almost sweet. Mouthwatering.

A taste of the cherries and aplle juice upfront before the sourness sweeps my tongue. A pinch of powdered sugar with dehydrated lemon zest and grape juice into a bone dry finish. Very dry and tart but at no point does it make my tongue shrivel. The sweet is the Yin to the sour Yang. So perfectly balanced.

Nice puckery mouth that works very well with the carbonation. The interesting character of this beer adds to its good drinkablity. (842 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

As the slogan goes, you either love it or you hate it, and I fell in love with it after trying it on tap last summer. Since it's readily available here in Dresden, I almost always keep one handy.

This beer pours a cloudy, dark brown color with a hint of red. Even an aggressive pour yields only the slightest head that quickly disappears.

The smell is obvious as soon as you start to pour. Overwhelming acidic, vinegar smell. Has the aroma of wine.

The taste is all tart. Nice moderate carbonation level. And the sparkling character really adds to the flavor. The tartness really lingers on the back of the tongue. And as I'm drinking this glass, I suddenly realize why I love this beer so much. It reminds me of the sparkling cider we would always have at family dinners when I was a kid. I couldn't get enough of that stuff.

As for the mouthfeel, it's medium-bodied, not too thin. The serious sourness really balances the beer out.

Unfortunately, though, this is not very drinkable. I love having one in a night, usually to get things started. But after that, I'm ready to move on, which accounts for the low score.

Still, all in all, this one's one of my favorites. (1,192 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

My first Palm version, Sampled May 2006
Incredibly well carbonated, this beer pours with a frothy, though quickly disappearing, initially 4 finger thick, amber tan colored head. I get a nice tart aroma as soon as I pour this beer, a nice level of tart acetic acid. As I go in for a deeper smell the aroma becomes much more tart; a mix of vinegar and something like tamarind. Underneath the dominating sour character is astringent note that seems a bit woody. The aroma has a certain fruitiness to it that hints at cherries.

Tart and effervescent, the beer seems to be fermenting a bit more than expected in the bottle. Is this now being bottle conditioned, that would be surprising from this traditionally pasteurized product. This is quite tasty as usual, a combination of tart and fruity with woody tannic notes that come on in the finish. It is so interesting to compare this beer to others that I have had most recently (Supplication, La Folie, & Panil Barriquée), beers now carrying the torch that had so long only been held by Rodenbach. It is interesting to me, the other newer beers are so much more satisfying and complex than this brew, but you can't fault the Grand Cru for that. It did what it had to survive all those years, but it is clearly now not one of the best examples of the style. I can only hope that Palm will choose to make this a bit more complex brew in the culture.

Having said all of that ruminescent, romantic b.s., this is still a damn good beer. I am a sucker for these beers and this is still quite good. I can see this beer aging quite gracefully for some time. The acidity should round out a bit and a touch of oxidation should play up the rich malt character a bit more. In the end that is what this needs a bit more complexity to balance out the great sour character. (1,812 characters)

Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.