Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Grand Cru Alström Bros
capuchinpilates

03-24-2013 21:59:11 | More by brheuer
basica

Singapore

3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

I bought this at Brussel Sprouts together with my long awaited Abbaye Des Rocs Brune beer. I
was pretty skeptical about this beer due to reviews saying that it is sour. I am just not into
sour beers and that's the reason why I close myself to Lambics. The Rodenbach is a Flanders Red
Ale style of brewing and is generally sour and fruity (in a sense analagous Lambics though not
quite) This Flanders Red Ale pours out slightly dark ruby red with minimal head which quickly
becomes a fair lacing. It smells intensely sour with notes of grape. The sour taste was further
pronounced in the taste and it was kind of too overwhelming for me; it was very much like someone
spilled vinegar into a beer that tastes like a light wine. I could develop an appreciation for
this beer by sipping it and the entry taste was actually fruity and yeasty which was quite
pleasant. But once the pellates are filled and the after taste starts to kick in the vinegar
like sourness is domainating and even in the nose. All in all way to sour for me; after I got
used to it; the sourness was mainly overwheming in the after taste and on the nose. The after
taste also has grapes in it; somewhat like red wine but the sourness kills it all. This ale was
medium body and with an overly high level of carbonation. Drinkability is low and this one's
definitely a sipper unless you want to sour up your evening. Not really my type but I still
can slightly appreciate the grape and winey side of it.

07-09-2007 19:42:59 | More by basica
JulieRFoster

3.08/5  rDev -28.2%

Burnished cherry color, fairly translucent, with a good 2 cm of vanilla colored head resting atop.
The smell is tart, with red fruit, merteuille (I forget the english name of this red berry) and dark vanilla extract.
It rolls into your mouth with a sweet, full-bodied taste. There is a very distinct taste in the back of the palate – like a pleasant vomit. It's very acidic, dark and fruity (like black cherries).
An interesting taste, but it's just too damn sweet. It's dark, syrupy, acidic and very sweet. Too heavy to be really drinkable, and a flat, or possibly 2-diamensional taste.

03-20-2006 14:52:36 | More by JulieRFoster
scooter231

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%

Very pretty scarlet red, absolutely clear, with an off white head. Smell was both sweet and sour- vinegar and soy sauce, mostly. Sour fruits, perhaps. Taste left me conflicted, I'm still not sure if I liked it or not. Balsamic and regular vinegar with some berries added. Salad dressing came to mind. After much thought, I think this reminds me of a vinegary arbor mist. I'm still unsure if that's good or bad though. Mouthfeel was fizzy, like a champagne, perhaps. Weird beer, probably spot on for the style, but I don't know, I'm not sold on it.

05-18-2006 08:33:31 | More by scooter231
corby112

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%

Serving type: on tap at Monk's Cafe, Philadelphia, PA.

Pours a very dark amber color with a foamy off-white head. Very sour fruity aroma with hints of oak and vanilla. Intensely tart and acidic with a nice amount of sour cherry as well as oak and vanilla. Very sour with a puckering dry finish.

11-27-2008 18:13:25 | More by corby112
jamie2dope

3.18/5  rDev -25.9%

Pours a cool dark red color with a small tannish white head. Smell was extremely sour, very jolly rancherish. Also some cherries and a noticeable vinnegar smell towards the back. Taste was a bit better, with the sour flavors and fruit melding together. Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied. This beer was simply too sour for me, and way too acidic for me to handle. Maybe it is just the style. Im not sure...this was my first example of the style. cheers

07-17-2006 15:50:19 | More by jamie2dope
triptens

3.2/5  rDev -25.4%

750ml tasted side by side with the classic red
08 Vintage

Appearance: Dark mahogany color with a tan bubbly head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Sweet cherry, touch of vanilla and vinegar.

Taste: Like a cherry sweet tart. Was expecting more sour. This tastes like a sugary tart candy.

Mouthfeel: The tartness kinda just hits you up front then goes away. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: Right now, Im not a fan of this beer. It is reminiscent of the 07 Panil Barrique, which I did not enjoy, but LOVED the 05. Hopefully I can get my hands on a few of these to age and maybe I'll think differently about it.

07-29-2009 23:12:49 | More by triptens
Manoftyr

3.23/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured from 24oz growler into snifter

Appearance-Pours a deep brown/ruby red, some small head rose up from the growler pour but didn't retain into the snifty upon pouring.

Smell-Tart, sour fruit aromas assail the sesnes, I can make out what smells to me like sour cherries, grapes and a whisp of what smells to me like a mix between a lemon and a pear.

Mouthfeel-Soft and plushy, but rather surprisingly full.

Taste-A sour and refreshing tartness washes over with an immediate intensity followed shortly by fruity notes which taste reminiscent of the aroma; sour cherries, grapes and a third distinct flavor which I cannot put my finger on that is like a lemon/pear mix. Some very slight malty characters come through on the finish that sort of graze the back of the tongue with an instant of semi-sweetness.

Drinkability-Although it's refreshing, the overpowering sourness makes it so that I wouldn't want more than a single glass.

Notes-The Flanders Red is a unique style that everyone should try at least once, I did with this beer and I can say I'm glad I did. Now I can't say I liked it so much I'd go out and seek it again, but the experience of trying it at least once was worth the price.

03-26-2010 21:28:29 | More by Manoftyr

03-14-2014 21:06:09 | More by GuitarIPA
chunkylover53

Ontario (Canada)

3.25/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance: Reddish brown with a small head.

Smell: This smells like candy and good scotch. Very peaty.

Taste: Very sour. A little too much so for my liking. Not like a lambic, but still quite sour. Like Sour Chews candy with a hint of blackberry.

Mouth: A bit thin.

Overall, it's OK. I guess. Fans of lambics might like it, but I won't be rushing out to get more.

01-27-2005 02:48:43 | More by chunkylover53

Idaho

01-30-2014 03:48:09 | More by Bricelyn
skaboom420

01-18-2013 23:41:41 | More by skaboom420
Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.