Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Grand Cru Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a dark brown / red color, respectable brown head

Smells sour and bitter, some funky oak odors as well

Taste is definitely sour, would make someone pucker if they were unsuspecting. I had this as part of a beer flight and will be going back for a full glass in the coming weeks for sure. Lots of oak, sour cherry, somem dark fruits and some wild beasties to level it out. I really enjoyed the flavors that were brought out in this one -

Good carbonation, nice and smooth body, this has clearly been perfected and I would not hesitate to recommend to anybody that enjoys a good beer. I cannot believe that there is only 6% in this one, completely stunned by this revelation

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep cherry with a 1/4 inch tan head. Smells of sour cherry, vanilla, oak, hints of port.

Taste is quite sour and cherry tart. The fruity tartness overpowers most of the other flavors. Lots of cherry flavors in here. Hints of oak and vanilla way back there. My only complaint is that with the sour aftertaste there is also a strong coppery aftertaste which I don't find appeaing. Don't know if that is indicative of the style or this bottle is past its prime. Full bodied and flavorful beer. This was the flavor explosion I was expecting from the Rodenbach Red. Not nearly as balanced but still amazing.

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

Had this one on tap last night at The Muddy Pig in St. Paul. Another bar patron a few seats down gave me an enthusiastic "Cheers!" as I ordered while lifting his glass in the air, and quickly proclaimed he was drinking the same thing. Poured a dark reddish-brown color into a tulip. Smell is very sweet up front, with hints of cherry and spice. Taste is out of this world tart, yet incredibly refreshing. Tart cherry dominates, backed up my some dark malt, fruity yeastiness, and a pleasant, sipable aftertaste. Slightly thin in the body and moderately carbonated. The overall tartness of this one makes it a great one-off, but it was fantastic to say the least.

On a side note, I enjoyed this brew while speaking to the owner of 21st Amendment Brewing out of San Fransisco, a guy named Sean. Great guy and a pleasure to share a beer with!

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

the beer that made the whole "sour" category click for me, I will now review formally.

pours to a murky mahogany brown with a decent sized khaki head that retains very well and laces extreme.

aroma is dominated by vinegar and cherries, with a bit of oak and vanilla. pleasantly tart and sour with a bit of sweetness as well.

flavor is fruity and sour and tart and sweet all at once, I can't help but think of sour patch kids candies, with the stages of sour, sweet, tart coming and going in stages. the vinegar is strong in the first sips, but the interplay between the flavors works its way into the forefront of a multi-faceted brew. wonderful.

medium bodied with light carbonation but the tart acidity drys the tongue and tingles the sides of the mouth for a lively mouthfeel that few can match.

not for everyone, but for me, it drinks wonderfully. the interplay between, tart, sweet, sour, acidic, and vinegar flavors with a tingly mouthfeel just works for me. Not many 6%abv beers would be worth $10+, but this one is. maybe an introductory into the sours, but you could do worse as a starting point.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Dark ruby-red color, a bit murky, topped by a thin bubbly off-white head that quickly dissolved into nothingness. Nose had a lot of sour cherry notes, hints of vanilla and a wooden aroma gleaned from the oak aging. I also picked up occasional hits of vinegar and that ol' farmhouse funk.
The taste had an immediate sharp tart taste of cherries and currants. It got to the point where my jaws ached after a while. Oaken flavor presented itself mid-palate as did some light vanilla. Very dry and light, velvety feel.
Overall, darn tasty and quaffable. Still, I think I might prefer the Classic over this creation. Hard to say, but I know I'm looking forward to having the GC again.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz shared courtesy of Bobsy - thanks a lot man! Best before date of 28.01.11

Pours a murky, muddy dark blood red, hints of amber with a finger of creamy tan head that dies slowly down, leaving a thin sweater of bubbles all the way.

Nose is effervescent. Sour cherries meets a restrained vinegar, foiled by a light sugary sweetness.

This is an extremely drinkable Flemish red. Wow. The carbonation sparkles and twirls around with your tongue as the balanced sourness and hint of funk glide through. Light on the vinegar, lots of cherry, hint of tannins and light oak notes, nice balanced sweetness without making it too thick or cloying.

This was an excellent example of the style, everything working in harmony to pucker you up without blasting you away. I wouldn't have ever imagined a Flemish red as overly drinkable but this one changes my mind - I would gladly sit down with a bottle or two of this. Cheers Rob!

3.25/5  rDev -24.2%

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

This is my second flemish sour ale. I've heard this brew described or referenced so much I had to try it. that said, here's what I thought:

A - faint head that quickly disspiated. Steady rising bubbles from the the glass let you know it's not flat. The beer is ruby red when held up to the light. Very nice to look at in the glass.

S - sour cherries, sour mash. did not notice any hints of oak but hey, could be me.

T- Sourness straight up. undertones of cherry and faint sweet malt. No question this delivers on the style flemish sour ale.

M - served at approx 55 degrees. medium to full bodied. Lot of reviews describe the carbonation as strong, but I did not see that with my drink. carbonation was light and complimentary to the drink.

Drinkablilty - Not a beer that drinks easy or fast. This brew is a commitment in my mind. A stronger sour than I expected.

Tantalizing style, but it may be a while before I try the other bottle. this is definitely a beer you need to be ready for.

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

Reviewed from a 33cl bottle with a date on the back of 01/03/06. Appearance is of a cherry wood colored body with a light tan head on top. A bit bubbly in the glass this left a decent bit of lace. Aroma is quite rich with tart cherries and some sweet malt. Notes of woodiness also blend in quite well. The tartness had a bit of edge to it. Flavor starts off with tart fruits up front. The sourness is cut a bit by an underlying sweetness and woodiness. Not as balanced as the Red, but it works out better that way. A biting sourness with a hint of cherries is how this finishes. Mouthfeel is lively with carbonation and is very crisp and clean. Drinkability is exceptional. I should have got me some more of this when I had the chance. Very tasty and refreshing. This will definitely get me more into the style.

3.25/5  rDev -24.2%

Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.