1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rodenbach Caractère Rouge - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Caractère RougeRodenbach Caractère Rouge

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 11-02-2011)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Caractère Rouge Alström Bros
Ratings: 392 | Reviews: 73 | Show All Ratings:
MasterSki

4.55/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle shared by me at MvM's pre-Toronado showdown. Served in a taster glass.

A - White foam settles to a thin collar, leaving a few stray splotches of lace. Transparent red body.

S - The aroma is a ridiculously intense blast of cherries and other red fruits - perhaps some cranberry in the periphery? There's also some wet oak with a slightly leafy flavor to it, overripe fruit funk, and a sweet malt backdrop. Still, this is all about the fruit.

T - The taste isn't quite on par with the aroma, but it's still quite enjoyable. Lots of jammy fruits and cherry pie, complete with graham cracker crust and a dollop of vanilla. Some mild oak character and acidity in the finish.

M - Super dry and surprisingly light body. Very easy to drink, with refreshing, pleasant carbonation. Didn't realize this was 7% and would have guessed closer to 5%.

D - Awesome stuff - I probably should have ordered more. I crushed my glass and filled it up again before sharing the rest with the SF/Chicago hags. Nice to see Rodenbach stepping up and not merely resting on their laurels.

08-20-2012 13:34:20 | More by MasterSki
TrappistJohnMD

Mississippi

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary with this one. I was very excited to give it a try.

Served ruby-brown color with cream or off-white head in a Rodenbach glass.

Smell is tart and fruity. Lot of cherries anf cranberry.

Taste is mildly tart with cherries and cranberries. Nice green apple freshness lingers in the finish. No obvious bitterness.

Mouthfeel is prickly and nicely carbonated for the style.

Overall this was fantastic! The best example of the style that I have had. Very refreshing.

01-19-2014 22:15:14 | More by TrappistJohnMD
snaotheus

4.51/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml corked/caged bottle split between two big goblets. If there's a best by, bottled on, or batch number on the bottle, I can't find it. The bottle doesn't look like the photo in this listing. The bottle has clear, plasticky, printed sticker labels.

Pours coppery golden, surprisingly clear, lots of carbonation which clings to the side of the glass but doesn't build into much of a head. Smell is delicious and rich and power, easily detectable at arm's length while pouring the glasses. Sour, sweet-tarty, fruit, just a hint of smokiness.

Taste is sour but not quite jaw clenching, has exactly the sweet-tarty character that I love in a Flanders Red (see Rodenbach Grand Cru). Without doing a side by side, I couldn't compare this with Grand Cru, but it seems like a beer of comparable quality. I think this beer is very fruity. I don't get much from the oak vats mentioned on the label, though. I think primarily I get sour cherry flavor, and lots of fruity sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth, slightly oily. Overall, this beer is excellent.

12-28-2013 21:32:44 | More by snaotheus
Justin_Cyr

Ontario (Canada)

4.51/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ordered it not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. Excellent fragrance, current and raisin with a balsamic notes near the end . Sour and oak sweetness, great balance! The appearance is unbelievable, would love to enjoy it again on a patio.

03-12-2014 17:30:28 | More by Justin_Cyr
Alieniloquium

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Récolte 2010, though I'm unclear if that's when it was brewed, barreled, or bottled. This is apparently batch 1. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Light red body. Slight gusher of a bottle. Small, off-white head. Murky.

Smell - Bright fruit aroma. Cranberry is distinguishable. Cherry in the form of sour. Raspberry sweetens the nose bakc up. Great fruit acidity and a light malt.

Taste - Maybe a little less fruity than the smell. Still a wonderful fruit flavor. Quality over quantity with the acidity. Just a touch of vinegar, which I can accept in this style. Dry caramel maltiness at the end.

Mouthfeel - The fruit balances the acidity perfectly. Not overly sour, which I prefer in reds. Sufficiently soured, though, as the malt has dried out leaving a medium body and no residual sweetness.

Overall - Impressive all around, but especially the fruit character. Beautifully crafted beer. Don't expect a beat-you-over-the-head sourness.

07-20-2012 16:39:46 | More by Alieniloquium
RblWthACoz

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A Flanders Red Ale, eh? I'm always down for that, but of course there just aren't enough of them being put out to try.

Great even tone to this one. Raspberries are definitely there. Cherries are also there bringing some sour fruit character also. After that, it's kind of hard to tell if I pick up cranberries here with all the typical stuff that comes with the style and my lack of experience with the fruit in beer. Anyways. This beer is awesome. Find me a keg of it, or a river, if you please.

11-26-2013 02:53:38 | More by RblWthACoz
StoutHunter

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

I picked up a bottle of Rodenbach's Cartactere Rouge a few days ago for $22.99 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for something a little special for my birthday and I thought I would take a chance on this one, I think the Rodenbach Classic is a pretty nice beer and i'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown corked and caged 750ml Bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label is pretty simple and not too eye catching, but I think it has a nice classy look to it. It poured a nice and hazy darker red color that took on a great ruby red color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually disappears and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a very good looking beer, I really liked the color and I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by a huge berry aroma, the raspberrys, cranberrys, and tart cherrys all come through and I think the cranberrys add a unique aspect to the berry aroma that sets it apart and it has a nice tart/sour aroma to it. Up next comes a light funky farmhouse like aroma with a lighter musty aroma mixed in and there's also some light oaky aromas that show up just enough to notice them. Towards the end there's a pretty light vinegar aroma that works well with this beer. I thought this beer had very good aroma, it was very fruity with the berrys and cherrys being highlighted with just enough funky and oaky aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by all those berry and cherry aspects that I got in the aroma with the cranberrys still adding an extra unique aspect that makes for an aroma that isn't the typical berry aroma. Up next comes some of that funky yeast and it imparts a lighter funky flavors with a slight musty flavor in the background that shows up just enough. On the finish comes the oak with a slight bit of vanilla and there's higher amount of medium tartness that is at just the right level and it had a tart berry like aftertaste. This is a very good tasting beer, I loved the balance between the tart berrys and the funky yeast.

M- Pretty smooth, refreshing, clean, fairly dry on the finish, medium bodied with a good amount of higher medium carbonation that was at just the right level. This beer had a very good mouthfeel, it really worked well with this beer and I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I don't have any experience with this style, but I'm pretty sure this is a very good example of a Flanders Red Ale and it reminded me of some of the better funky fruit beers I have had. This beer had nice drinkability, it wasn't overly sour, a little acidic, pretty smooth, clean, refreshing and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I think a full bottle would be a little too acidic for me so I think splitting the bottle with someone is the perfect amount and I could see how this would be a great beer to enjoy in the summer. What I liked the most about this beer was everything, this beer didn't have any weak points in my opinion and there's nothing I can think that would improve this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was how expensive it is, I know it's not cheap to import these Belgian beers, but if the price was lower it wouldn't be just a special occasion beer. I would get this beer again if it saw it, it's very expensive, but I think it's worth it and it makes for a great special occasion beer and I would love to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who loves those Funky fruit beers. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I was hoping this was going to be good for how much I paid for it, but it ended up exceeding my expectations and it made for a very enjoyable beer. Good job guys, this was a great and special beer, thanks for sending some to the USA, keep up the awesome work.

01-12-2014 22:37:50 | More by StoutHunter
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.48/5  rDev 0%

Bottle shared by thorpe429. Woohoo!

The beer is a gorgeous, radiant, dark ruby color, like a gem. A thin pink head rests atop the beer, leaving sparse lacing on the tulip. The aroma is wild and funky, like a fruit lambic. Smells very sweet. Huge raspberry presence, similar to a framboise. Sweet and teeming with berry flavor, balanced by a bit of tartness and wild yeast character. A great candidate for sharing, as the sweetness is a bit much after a small serving. Overall, very tasty, albeit a bit too sweet for me personally. While not my absolute favorite offering from Rodenbach, I enjoyed this. Recommended.

08-05-2012 21:07:07 | More by Huhzubendah
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.48/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks to jedwards for breaking this one out. Pours a beautiful raspberry hue with no head. Nose expresses raspberries and tart cherries. Taste consistent with nose - bold and fruity with a slight tart quality. Mouthfeel is light-medium with a mild, even carbonation, a slight acidity and easy easy astringency. This is a top notch beer, although not sure I would classify it as a Belgian Strong Dark. Not overly sour, very approachable to various taste and there's some definite cellaring potential here. I'd like to score a bottle to sit on for a couple years.

08-06-2012 23:46:37 | More by Jwale73
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

4.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this beer

Consumed 12/11/13

Appearance: Deep purple - medium brown with a ton of red, pink, and copper - hazy, cloudy - pours with a medium-sized, off-white head, leads some nice lacing

Smell: An abundance of berries - cherries, raspberries, and cranberries are all present here, creates a very rich, bright berry aroma - berry skins, with some fruity sweetness - some rich funk, sourness, musty notes, and wood - some rich amber and caramel malts as well - a touch of vinegar, but mostly this is a blast of fruits

Taste: Berries, berries everywhere - brilliantly tart, with a ton of berry skin - tart cherries, ripe cranberries, fleshy raspberries - fruity and juicy without being really sweet - sweetness is brilliantly minimal - lightly sour, but more tart - funky, with some lactic, musty funk - some nice caramel and amber malts as a base - some nice acidity in a surprisingly clean finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body, very smooth, nice carbonation, very clean for the style

Overall: I don't care if I can't pronounce the name of this beer, it's still awesome

This is an excellent Flanders Red. It's absurdly fruity, and inexplicably clean. I'm honestly surprised at how good this is. Buy it if you see it.

12-11-2013 23:09:38 | More by angrybabboon
mendvicdog

Maryland

4.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Blind BIF Beer #1

Cascadeish smell and taste with some excellent blueberry strawberry taste/smell.

Smooth mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Simple yet very pleasant tart taste. Mild funk.

Guess some Upland rare beer like Blackberry Lambic. I had had most of the bottled Cascades recently and didn't think it could be any of those.

Very surprised by the reveal.

07-10-2013 13:13:22 | More by mendvicdog
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

4.48/5  rDev 0%

A huge thank you to Jeffo for this and many more amazing brews.

Appearance. Pours a hazy, very nice looking deep red with a touch of brown. Topped with a thin pinkish off-white head.

Smell. Tart cherries and raspberries, barrel wood and just a light hint of caramel. Very fruity and delicious smelling.

Taste. Tart raspberries with just a little sweetness, barrel wood (on the fresh side) ...not a whole lot else but what is there is very nice. Tastes like a ton of raspberries went in to this. Really nice.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, medium + carbonation.

Overall. Elegant simplicity (perfect description from Kathleen). So much fruit flavour for the style which was a bit surprising considering the other rodenbach offerings that are heavier on the sweetness and caramel flavours. Awesome stuff. Thanks again Jeff!

09-29-2013 13:48:01 | More by Rutager
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

4.46/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks seblp for offering up 2 bottles of this

The beer pours a dark, slightly dull rusty brown that shines crimson in the light and provides a fizzling pink head. Although the head fades quickly with minimal lacing, it leaves a thin blanketing/halo throughout drinking. The nose is potently fruity with prominent notes of strawberry and cherry (and celery?) followed by a very refined oak acetone. The taste is Flanders red to the max with huge amounts of description-promised strawb/cherry fruitiness, a touch of caramel and wood. Its medium bodied, effervescent, modestly dry and acidic, fruity, bold, and downright drinkable as hell. I highly recommend this brew for those that enjoy a good Flanders and have had the Rodenbach predecessors. It's an excellent beer, one of the best I've had in a long time actually.

04-14-2013 03:03:35 | More by ThePorterSorter
Greywulfken

4.46/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: deep amber with orange-red highlights and an ivory head big-as-ya-want-it; slight bits of clinging lace slipped away shortly

S: dark sour fruits and tart yeasts - as advertised, cranberry, raspberry, sour cherry; lighter notes of oak/wood

T: right off the nose, the tart fruits follow, transforming cranberries and raspberries and dark cherries into an exquisite drinking experience; the oak vats lighten any too sweet or too fruity flavors, and weave elegant airs throughout the drink

M: light, tart, slightly fuzzy, slightly tingly, subtle carbonation; refreshing and quenching

O: I tried to be moderate in my review, as this is not a style I have frequented often, but there is no doubt that this is a superior ale, and something worth getting your hands on should the opportunity present itself.

10-06-2013 15:17:19 | More by Greywulfken
spdyfire83

Ireland

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

246th Review
75cl (corked and caged) bottle poured into long-stemmed wine glass
Vintage: Batch 1 - produced/bottled sometime in 2011, I think

Enjoyed at DHvL in early June 2012. Somewhat unfair to drink/rate this immediately following the Alexander, but that's how it goes.

A: Medium amber. Half (off-white) fingernail head on vigorous pour.

S: Sour, tart cherry/cranberry, and some funk/must. Oak and raspberry sweetness. Classic Rodenbach nose that is very inviting and rich.

T: Bold sourness up-front with cherry and oak. Vinegar overtones along with tannins/leather as well as raspberry and cranberry punch (soft sweetness)! At times, the acidity was somewhat overpowering (I think it will age extremely well), but all in all a tasty beer.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

O: Overall a very good beer, but it needs some time to age/mellow a bit (so the tart acidity can work itself out). I think the long-term potential for this beer to be wonderful is very high. I'll be curious to see how Batch 2 (approx. 10k bottle production) drinks compared to this (Batch 1, 900 bottles).

07-24-2012 10:55:47 | More by spdyfire83
Stevedore

Wisconsin

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, blank with the tag. Generously sent over as a wedding gift from Eduardo in Switzerland. Thanks a lot man! Poured into Cantillon degustation glasses and shared with my wife today, 2/6/2014 as a week-early Valentine's day drink.

Review #434.

App- Dark pink-red body, light pink head, good retention, nice lacing

Smell- Sweet raspberries, tart cherry, oak, a nice bit of rubbery funk, a lot of vinegar mixed in with a bit of brown malt sweetness. Very interesting nose indeed.

Flavour- Delicious. Oak tannins, tart cherries, rubbery funk, vinegar making this a 5/10 sour, some sweet brown malts, and faint raspberry fruitiness. Not overly sweet, but quite dry and tart. Complex and interesting.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, well carbonated, good body and easily drinkable despite the acidity. I am sure my teeth are still there after this one.

Overall- Very interesting and delicious Belgian sour. After finishing the bottle, I saw that this is a Flanders Red on BA and that really threw me off. This tastes more like a fruit lambic in a lot of ways, although the brown malts do come across more than say, Rosé de Gambrinus. My wife and I certainly enjoyed trying this one! Thank you Eduardo, for the lovely wedding gift.

02-08-2014 03:41:03 | More by Stevedore
draheim

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL into a tulip. Pours a clear reddish amber w/ a thin beige head, minimal lacing.

Aroma is big sour oaky tartness, berries, and fruit. Smells great.

Taste is likewise tart and oaky, super dry, and fruity without being sweet. Great balance of elements.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light, dry, almost vinous. Really nice.

Overall a truly outstanding, world-class barrel-aged beer. Thirst-quenching, delicious.

02-09-2014 03:45:26 | More by draheim
TruePerception

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rodenbach's Caractère Rouge, Flanders Red Ale aged with cranberries, raspberries, and sour cherries in oak vats. 7% ABV.

Huge pop!

A: Nice plum red, with some slight showing of sediment. A finger of slightly rosy head. Slightly dull yellow in the dimple, which shows of a steady stream of tiny bubbles. Lacing forms, but does not hold. Barely any sheeting.

S: Fruits coming through very well on the nose. Cranberry is more subdued, but definitely there, and blends well with the raspberry. Sour cherry stands out slightly from the others. Nice acidity, as is to be expected.

T/MF: Oh, yeah! Just a touch of sweetness. Some cranberry dryness. Raspberry seed, raspberry. Morello cherry. Plenty of acidity, but it shows more as crispness than tartness. It also seems to affect a slight chill on the tongue. Nicely balanced carbonation; not too heavy, but not at all flat.

Very nice. Sort of a cross breed between a Flanders Red and a Lambic. Just a great beer!

02-20-2014 09:24:26 | More by TruePerception
fourstringer

Maryland

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a caged & corked 750 mL bottle into a Brewer's Art goblet. Moderate hand. Date on the bottle of the bottle reads 18-04-16.

A: Hazy, reddish-brown body with 1/2 finger of off-white head. Ok retention. Minimal lacing.

S: Lactic/citric acid tartness. Cherry features most predominantly, with lesser berry, grape. Lemon. Traces of mint, herb. Wood. The overall character is both familiar and unique.

T: Moderate sweet & sour with a stone fruit tang. Hint of chocolate. Minimal bitterness and a semi-dry finish. Lingering tartness in the aftertaste. Degrees of herbal earthiness, oak. Minimal alcohol.

M: Moderately robust carbonation with a certain zing. Moderate body. Nicely effervescent and palate-coating.

O: Excellent Flanders red with some interesting woody, herbal notes. Drinks very well. Very balanced. Surprisingly, I didn't find it any more fruity than Rodenbach's typical offering. Great brew.

Prost!

03-19-2014 05:11:46 | More by fourstringer
thecheapies

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

A little rosy in color with a red plummy tone. The head summited at a solid inch before fizzing away to a remaining ring of translucent white.

Tart red cranberries, refined oakiness, sour raspberries and stems, cheesy funk, pie cherries, currant, lemon pith, and white vinegar. Sour, even for a Rodenbach.

Cranberry, first, with tart cherry and old Flemish ale malt coming next. Nice and tart. Oak and hints of vanilla trickle in, but without the weight of typical malty Rodenbach construction. Raspberry and lemon peel. Awesome fruitiness. Acetic qualities are sharp, but not overly vinegary.

Smooth feel. A little light in the body. Tartness isn't unsettling. Spritzy carbonation blends in the mouth.

Big-time want, knocked down right now. Slam! Awesome brew. Have another in the fridge. Thanks for the bottle share, Bryan!

01-27-2014 21:38:50 | More by thecheapies
jrenihan

Ontario (Canada)

4.41/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beer is a pinkish-red colour, with a moderately sized off-white head, also with a pinkish hue. Fair retention.

Nose is a nice mix of the fruits involved. The cranberry sticks out most strongly for me, but the raspberry and cherry are also evident. Some oak, and a little bit of a vinegary scent that suggests some tartness.

The beer is surprisingly subdued in terms of tartness. Slightly sour, not strongly so. The fruit flavours are very nice. Cranberry, raspberry and some cherry all taste very real and juicy, and blended very well together. The oak is present but, like the tartness, fairly mild, comes out more strongly in the aftertaste.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation level. Quite refreshing. Slightly astringent.

Overall, really good. Surprising, as the focus is more fruit and less tart, but it works tremendously.

11-03-2013 19:59:53 | More by jrenihan
MattSweatshirt

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a hard to see through red body. Not much of an slightly pink tinged white head sits around well for a sour beer. The Duvel glass is probably helping.

The sour cherries are popping out here in the nose. Lots of big red fruitiness. Some sweetness with vanilla and caramel. Slight musty funk. It is kind of red wine like.

Nice complimentary levels of sour and sweet. Cherry, raspberry and cranberry all pop in the flavor. Some oakiness to it. Not as acetic as some Flanders reds come off as. Very fruit forward.

Body seems a tad thin but overall it feels good on the tongue. Finishes dry.

Such a good idea by these guys to throw some fruit in this beer.

12-28-2013 01:16:42 | More by MattSweatshirt
flagmantho

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 750mL corked & caged bottle into a tulip. Three weeks of travel, sickness and holidays has left me review-less; I am looking forward to returning to the fold with this brew.

Appearance: nice amber-orange hue with a light haze and moderate effervescence. Head is a finger of creamy ivory foam with great retention. Quite good.

Smell: the rich fruitiness and tart Flanders element bring me straight to a holiday meal. Cranberry sauce aside, there's almost a vinous quality here that really works well. This is a fruit beer that cannot be denied.

Taste: very much like the aroma. There's a tartness here which is alluring but not overdone, as well as a grape, cranberry and cherry fruitiness which combine together flawlessly. A really great beer.

Mouthfeel: lightish body with a good level of carbonation. I think it might be a bit overattenuated to be truly creamy, but it is nice.

Overall: I could drink tons of this stuff. Wonderful!

12-31-2013 02:30:54 | More by flagmantho
UCLABrewN84

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Wowcoolman for sharing this one at drewone's place.

Pours a hazy dark red with a foamy reddish-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is sour and tart with some raspberry, cherry, cranberry, and raspberry vinaigrette. Taste is much the same with a nice fruity finish and a slight acidic quality on the finish. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer that is really tasty and easy to drink.

01-07-2013 01:54:42 | More by UCLABrewN84
Goblinmunkey7

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Dark rich garnet/amber. Head is pale pink and bubbly. Very slight lacing. Nice effervescent carbonation on the pour. Super pink.

Smell: Hyper fruity. Raspberries and cranberries jump out. A touch of jammy fruit coupled with some juicy fresh fruit. Tart cherries add a nice counter to what could be a very sweet beer. A touch of oak running through the back with a mildly acetic edge to the whole thing. Some sweet malts thrown in for good measure. Slight earthiness as well. It's all about the fruit and it's rather delightful. Some hint of damp house yeast.

Taste: Raspberries and then some. Tart cherry adds a nice counter to the sweet push from the raspberries. A touch of jam sweetness. Cranberry melds in giving it a bit of depth, helping to split the difference between the other two fruits. Oak barrel adds a nice earthy woody element. Some soft earth. Damp and wet basement. Some grass and hay mixed in for good measure. Carries the distinct Rodenbach acetic/balsamic vinegar. Slight yeast presence. a touch floral. Very fruity, but nicely balanced between tart and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Wet and juicy on the sip. Nice and smooth with a medium body and moderate carbonation. Drinks a bit juicier than is the norm for the style, but given the amount of fruit, it's not really surprising.

Overall: Jax Teller's side business is lucrative.

Has the base of Rodenbach and then enhances it with delicious fruit infusions. A nice balance of tart and sweet.

12-11-2013 22:54:03 | More by Goblinmunkey7
Rodenbach Caractère Rouge from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.