Rodenbach Caractère Rouge - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Caractère RougeRodenbach Caractère Rouge

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

The brewer allow the beer to macerate with fresh cherries, raspberries and cranberries. After this maceration in oak, the beer re-ferments in the bottle. The result is RODENBACH Caractère Rouge, an exceptional RODENBACH with fruit maceration and a 7% alcohol volume. The brew is more than unique and extremely exclusive, as only 900 75-cl bottles were produced (first batch). Geunes serves this wilful beer as part of his other unique range of beer varieties in his restaurant, ’t Zilte, at the Antwerp MAS museum.

(Beer added by: Jason on 11-02-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rodenbach Caractère Rouge Alström Bros
4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a light brown with a scarlet red tinge, hazy, with finger and a half of tan color head. Head dissipates quickly but leaves a decent amount of lacing when swirled.

Nose is so fruity, raspberry, cherry and cranberry for sure, sweet and tart, with a touch of acetic vinegar, brown sugar, and oak. Very fragrant even when cold right out of the fridge.

Taste is sweet raspberry and cherry before tart cherry and cranberry flavors along with a balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar. A touch of old oak on the finish, with lingering berry skin astringency and sweet fruit.

Lighter side of medium with some nice refreshing carbonation that lightly pricks at your tongue before scrubbing it dry. Very easy to drink and tasty.

4.33/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drank from a 750 ml/1 pint 9.4 fl. oz. corked and caged bottle purchased at Craft Beer Cellar, Belmont, MA
Served in a tulip

Gorgeous appearance. The near crystal clear, ruby color liquid was topped by a billowing, light pink, sea foam crown. Super fluffy and finely beaded. The head faded to a thick cap and deposited odd shaped patches of lacing along the glass.

Intense fruity notes dominated the nose. Tons of cranberry, sour cherry, raspberry and strawberry. Slightly funky and tart. Crisp and yeasty. Somewhat candy-like. As the beer sat, more tart qualities came forth. Lemon notes were apparent. Overall, really pleasant, albeit rather one-dimensional.

The flavor profile was fairly similar to the aroma, except perhaps even sweeter. Super fruity with sour cherry and ripe raspberry notes dominating. Some strawberry as well. The fruit additions really overshadowed the qualities of the base Flemish sour ale and lent the beer a slightly medical quality. This reminded me in some ways of cherry cough syrup. Crisp, yeasty notes were detectible. Touch of lemony tartness on the finish. As the beer warmed, some of the base beer's qualities became more apparent. Brown sugar and hints of balsamic and acetic acid appeared. Some oak and tannins came through as well.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied and contained a crisp, lively effervescence. Smooth and frothy on the palate. Slightly foamy.

I love fruit-forward beers, but the fruit additions in this offering completely overwhelmed the base beer and resulted in something that was overtly sweet and rather one-dimensional. If this were merely a fruited ale, I probably would have given it much better scores. However, knowing how terrific the base beer is, and paying $28 for this "enhanced" version, gives me reason to knock it in some aspects. Although most fruit beers are best consumed fresh, this one might actually benefit from some age.

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary with this one. I was very excited to give it a try.

Served ruby-brown color with cream or off-white head in a Rodenbach glass.

Smell is tart and fruity. Lot of cherries anf cranberry.

Taste is mildly tart with cherries and cranberries. Nice green apple freshness lingers in the finish. No obvious bitterness.

Mouthfeel is prickly and nicely carbonated for the style.

Overall this was fantastic! The best example of the style that I have had. Very refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

I picked up a bottle of Rodenbach's Cartactere Rouge a few days ago for $22.99 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for something a little special for my birthday and I thought I would take a chance on this one, I think the Rodenbach Classic is a pretty nice beer and i'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown corked and caged 750ml Bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label is pretty simple and not too eye catching, but I think it has a nice classy look to it. It poured a nice and hazy darker red color that took on a great ruby red color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually disappears and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a very good looking beer, I really liked the color and I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by a huge berry aroma, the raspberrys, cranberrys, and tart cherrys all come through and I think the cranberrys add a unique aspect to the berry aroma that sets it apart and it has a nice tart/sour aroma to it. Up next comes a light funky farmhouse like aroma with a lighter musty aroma mixed in and there's also some light oaky aromas that show up just enough to notice them. Towards the end there's a pretty light vinegar aroma that works well with this beer. I thought this beer had very good aroma, it was very fruity with the berrys and cherrys being highlighted with just enough funky and oaky aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by all those berry and cherry aspects that I got in the aroma with the cranberrys still adding an extra unique aspect that makes for an aroma that isn't the typical berry aroma. Up next comes some of that funky yeast and it imparts a lighter funky flavors with a slight musty flavor in the background that shows up just enough. On the finish comes the oak with a slight bit of vanilla and there's higher amount of medium tartness that is at just the right level and it had a tart berry like aftertaste. This is a very good tasting beer, I loved the balance between the tart berrys and the funky yeast.

M- Pretty smooth, refreshing, clean, fairly dry on the finish, medium bodied with a good amount of higher medium carbonation that was at just the right level. This beer had a very good mouthfeel, it really worked well with this beer and I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I don't have any experience with this style, but I'm pretty sure this is a very good example of a Flanders Red Ale and it reminded me of some of the better funky fruit beers I have had. This beer had nice drinkability, it wasn't overly sour, a little acidic, pretty smooth, clean, refreshing and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I think a full bottle would be a little too acidic for me so I think splitting the bottle with someone is the perfect amount and I could see how this would be a great beer to enjoy in the summer. What I liked the most about this beer was everything, this beer didn't have any weak points in my opinion and there's nothing I can think that would improve this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was how expensive it is, I know it's not cheap to import these Belgian beers, but if the price was lower it wouldn't be just a special occasion beer. I would get this beer again if it saw it, it's very expensive, but I think it's worth it and it makes for a great special occasion beer and I would love to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who loves those Funky fruit beers. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I was hoping this was going to be good for how much I paid for it, but it ended up exceeding my expectations and it made for a very enjoyable beer. Good job guys, this was a great and special beer, thanks for sending some to the USA, keep up the awesome work.

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a beautiful crimson, ruby red with 1/2 finger of fizzy white head. Sexy.

Smell: Tart cherry, that sour cranberry dankness, and sweet raspberry tartness to offset the cherries; it's all there. This is REALLY potent smelling, like freshly juiced berries. Amazing.

Taste: Tart cherry sweetness up-front, with a more bold cranberry sourness in the middle that gives way to a clean and dry, right on the money, sour raspberry finish. It's pretty sour, but not in the realm of Tart Of Darkness sour. Outstanding.

Mouthfeel: Ample carbonation, with a light feel that lends to drinkin' easy.

Overall: Had high hopes for this one, and I wasn't disappointed. I don't like to bring up other beers in my reviews too much, but this reminds me of a certain "intense" beer, but improves upon it everywhere that I'd have liked to see it. I guess that when a company does something for 200 years, they do it better than most.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

Rodenbach Caractère Rouge from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.