Breakout Stout - Jailhouse Brewing Company

Breakout StoutBreakout Stout

Jailhouse Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Stout |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2010)
3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Dark, like collapsed mine shaft after midnight.
Head tan like sun bleached leather.
Nose like burnt pumpernickel in an espresso jacuzzi.
Roasty toasty barley malt glides down hatch while hops take a paddle to tongue.
Mouthfeel smooth and gentle.
Booze well hidden.
Dark paradise awaits.

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Easily my new favourite American Stout. Purchased a 22 oz bomber at my local package store. I had been meaning to give this one a go for quite some time now, but always wound up reaching for something else.

I can't believe I've been overlooking this beer for so long. This one has everything that I look for in an American Stout.

Pours pitch black in colour, though not quite as thick as other comparable American Stouts ... Beautiful lacing with a relatively thin, tan head... Extremely strong notes of cappuccino dominate the scent - more so than any stout I've had in recent memory - though the cappuccino notes are not quite as prevalent in the flavour.

Flavour is packed with copious measures of roasted malts standing in front of more subtle traces of chocolate and burnt coffee. Mouthfeel is perhaps the only property of this stout that leaves something to desire. I prefer the thick, velvety smooth mouthfeel of a well-crafted milk stout, but this one is a bit thin relative to other American Stouts...

All in all, the Breakout Stout just surpassed Founders Breakfast Stout as my new favourite. I highly recommend giving this one a go.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.19/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I like dark beers, slightly sweet and with body but not bitter. This was the my first time drinking this beer and it is all of that. Sorry I've never reviewed beers before so won't be using any professional reviewer terms here. I split a bottle and I'd say it was one of the best beers of it's type I've ever had.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to ATLCarl for this bottle, which arrived as an extra with a bunch of good southeastern beer. Had some Jailhouse when in Atlanta this summer & looking forward to trying more. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife. Bottle says 8% ABV, for what that's worth.

Pour is dead black, more than average carbonation. Nose is vast epoch of roast, cut only barely by a dying ember of smoke. Straightforward.

Breakout Stout packs roast like it's a concealed weapon. Huge roast flares up & down the palate on the first sip, almost to the point of char: it's all I can sense the first few sips. Once my tasters begin to adjust to the onslaught, the underneath beer has a milk stout feel to it. Mild chocolate, lactose lurk underneath. Very smooth, almost creamy. Finish is bitten off into a sudden dryness, which is interesting. Lovely sipping stout that could be downed in pint glasses.

This brew reminds me of a thinner, less viscous Marshall Zhukov's...of course, everything, including black dirt, is thinner that Zhukov's. If you're looking for an example of a roasty beer, look no further. Simple, direct, tasty, a very good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%