Ümläüt Kölsch - Eagle Rock Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Eagle Rock Brewery visit their website

Kölsch |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-07-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
kojevergas

2.88/5  rDev -16.3%

One litre Eagle Rock swing-top growler filled at Eagle Rock a few hours ago. Their growler fills are quite rudimentary; I always see them just attach a hose-like tube to the tap with the open end shoved into the growler. They overfill, seal the swing-top, and wipe it down then hand it to you. I'm not sure what the technical terminology is for the different types of growler fills, but that's how they do it and it doesn't leave me feeling too confident in the longevity of the growler beer. The growler itself notes "Keep me cold! Enjoy within 24 hours. Some loss of carbonation may occur."

Reviewed live. Expectations are average; I'm not big on Eagle Rock but I do like their Threes and Tart Noire [sic]. Served into an Oskar Blues pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Served cold, straight from the freezer (I like to get my growlers really cold due to the extended consumption time). Side-poured with extra vigor as carbonation issues are anticipated.

Yields a powerful pop upon popping the swingtop; carbonation seems to be just fine. No beer surges out.

A: Pours a 1.5-2.0 finger head of beige colour. Soft complexion. Nice thickness. Slight cream. Good retention for a growler pour, about 4 minutes. No bubble show. Light uneven lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a clear pale yellow; right on the money for the style. No yeast particles are visible. Not as vibrant as the best beers in the style, but it's average.

Overall, it's a pretty typical looking kolsch. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Clean barley. Pale malts. Pleasant floral hops. Hints of light white grape perhaps. Lightly bready. Straw. Dry grains. An average strength aroma. Not real complex or intriguing, but it hits the key notes of the style. Maybe some pear. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Looking forward to trying it.

T: Well, it's rather simple. I might even go so far as to call it bland. Pale malts, straw, clean barley. Really light hints of white grape. No yeast or alcohol here. Light hop presence - floral hops are the only type I detect. A bit grassy. Maybe a hint of citrusy esters if we're really stretching it. Quite a clean empty flavour profile. Very little going on here, so I guess in that sense it's balanced. Zero complexity, zero subtlety - though the grape could be considered decently integrated. Boring stuff.

A great kolsch has masterful balance and impressive subtlety. This is not a great kolsch. Inoffensive and passable, but not what I was hankering for when I picked up this growler.

Mf: Clean, smooth, and wet - though it is somewhat dry on the climax. Great beers in the style are crisper and drier. Overcarbonated (even though it's a growler fill). Okay presence on the palate. Suits the flavours in a general sense, but it certainly doesn't come off like it's custom-tailored to them. Average execution.

Dr: I initially wrote off Eagle Rock. Then I tried Threes and Tart Noire and figured I'd give them a second shot. I'm regretting that now; I'm kind of mad at myself for buying a growler. Hopefully L.A. breweries will start filling other breweries' growlers so I can make use of this.

It's drinkable alright, but it's also rather pedestrian. Uninspired; why brew this? So damned underwhelming.

I'll easily be able to kill the full litre today, but I don't know that I've yet had a kolsch for which I couldn't accomplish that.

C

Serving type: growler

06-16-2013 22:33:23 | More by kojevergas
t0rin0

3.75/5  rDev +9%

09-25-2012 22:48:10 | More by t0rin0
womencantsail

3.68/5  rDev +7%

The beer pours a clear golden color with a white head. Aroma is quite clean and crisp. A nice floral hop aroma with a light fruitiness. Hints of citrus and grass. There is a light hoppiness of grass and citrus peel, but mostly floral with a mild bitterness. Biscuit malt gives some sweetness, a very crisp, dry beer, though.

08-07-2012 16:35:12 | More by womencantsail
Ümläüt Kölsch from Eagle Rock Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.