Stack High Gravity Lager - United Brands Company

Stack High Gravity LagerStack High Gravity Lager

awful

United Brands Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tone77 on 12-10-2009)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by PatronWizard:
PatronWizard

1.25/5  rDev -41.6%

So I've had some of the best beers in the world in my day, but alas, I've fallen on hard fucking times. Long gone are the days of wonderful bottles of Abyss and Double Bastard. I've been subsisting for about a year now on Steel Reserve.

Granted, that is the swill of the swill, but where else can you get a buzz, a headache, and a guaranteed bowel movement for a dolla fitty? Nowhere I propose. I digress....

Appearance: Didn't even pour this bitch in a glass (I'm not naive), so appearance was .... minimal.

Smell: Took a woof and ... well, it stank.

Taste: I took a swig. Wow. Absolutely wretched. Taste gave me deja-vu of my wife removing finger nail polish. Straight acetone. Nasty. Like heating Elmer's Glue to triple point and taking a drink. Only it was cold.

Mouthfeel: an oxymoron as I can't feel my mouth.

Drinkability: only the extremely stupid or the extremely poor can finish a can of this shit. My can is empty; you decide.

Overall: wow, I'm half shitfaced and I'm a professional alcoholic. So glad I didn't buy two as the demon on my left shoulder suggested (the demon on my right shoulder wouldn't even look at this shit). AVOID LIKE AIDS!

08-28-2010 20:52:55 | More by PatronWizard
Slashytits

07-07-2014 06:13:08 | More by Slashytits
Spikester

2.9/5  rDev +35.5%

This beer was listed as 9.9% not 12%.
Good looking pour for the style.
Smell is pretty boozy
Taste is very close to a barleywine but on the low end of the scale. No bad flavors but the booziness is a bit hard to take. Mouthfeel is medium to full with a lightly bitter finish.
Overall not my type of beer but not bad for the style.

07-01-2014 03:51:31 | More by Spikester

06-15-2014 09:10:26 | More by BieberHoles69
Bitterbill

Wyoming

1.38/5  rDev -35.5%

UBC LaCrosse WI and under special agreement Memphis TN on the can.

It pours a fairly dark yellow with a 1 finger head of foam with lots of bubble action.

Huge corn notes in the smell as well as some grain. It also smells the full 9.9% abv.

Corn first and foremost followed by some lemon twang that leans towards the tart side. Saying that it is rough tasting would almost be a compliment; smooth is mentioned a few times on the can.

The tartness intensifies as the beer warms and in a case like this, that is not a good thing.

I had to try it. It was cheap as dirt. I hope my sink doesn't mind a few ounces.

05-28-2014 19:58:37 | More by Bitterbill
BLACKENEDPLAGUE

2.75/5  rDev +28.5%

04-11-2014 21:13:36 | More by BLACKENEDPLAGUE
vulgora

1.05/5  rDev -50.9%

its cheap its 9.9% and its HORRIBLE
i like high gravity malt liquors but this is just bad , it was $1.65 but dont let that price point fool you
you can get much better for the same price.

its just so strong and full of corn like drinking bio diesel, its not super carbonated but it is bubbly
its reminds me of sunny delight , its so fake and full of artificial crap strong and syrupy .

this is so bad its so strong , i couldn't just drink it like a normal beer , i had to sip it like a wine , it took me a while to finish it.

i used to get 4 16 once for $1.99 at the center market and i used to be able to pound them like nothing and that was when it was 12% .
and after i had to drink this slowly because it was so bad i barly got a buzz . might as well of got a can of pbr...

this stuff is not good , i bought it to see if it was as bad as i remember and the can for the collection.

if you dont want to do either of this stay away , get old englishe ,hurricane, steel reserve, ice house edge or even natty daddy

anything is better than this even 4loco or other alco pop you can drown out the nasty with 7 up

i do not recommend stay away

02-11-2014 18:20:10 | More by vulgora
kojevergas

1.93/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

I picked up a 24oz can at my local corner mart. Looks like a real winner. ABV is 9.9% per the label. "Stack High Gravity Smooth Lager." Reviewed as a malt liquor given its marketing, price point, and ingredients list. Served into an Independence brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely low.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a predictable clear translucent yellow littered with abundant carbonation bubbles. It's got some nice vibrance and isn't weak looking like many malt liquors. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible; it's quite clean. High transparency; you can read text through this beer.

The head is initially two fingers wide but recedes to a very thin layer atop the body inside one minute. Still, the retention is better than you'd expect for a budget range malt liquor at this high an ABV. Some limited spotty inconsistent lacing does cling to the sides of the glass after the head recedes.

Overall, it's an above average appearance for a malt liquor. I can't say I'm looking forward to trying it, but there aren't any egregious flaws.

Sm: Has a heavy malty and adjuncty sweetness. Loads of corn - mainly adjunct. Malt syrups/extract. Not as grainy as would be ideal. I also get some faint berry character - strawberry, I think. It's strange and artificial, but lends some needed complexity to an otherwise boring aroma. To its credit, there are no traces of the 9.9% ABV in the aroma. I also don't find any yeast character - or any really hop character - not even just a simple floral profile. The syrupy sweetness is off-putting, and I'm anticipating a sickly buttery texture, but this is far from the foulest malt liquor aroma I've come across.

Average strength.

T: The syrupy sweetness is certainly the core of the beer, but it isn't as offensive as anticipated. It's got some light graininess and could use more. Heavy corn adjunct is present alongside the aforementioned artificial strawberry note - which isn't doing the flavour profile any favors. I also get a cheap white wine character and some disgusting green apple notes. There's no real hop profile here.

To be fair, I will say that it hides its alcohol content pretty decently. But I can't say I like it; there's no complexity or subtlety here whatsoever. It's far from an intricate or gestalt build. Unbalanced as well.

Mf: Buttery, smooth, wet, and sticky. Overcarbonated as hell. Presence on the palate is abysmal; it's making me a bit ill. Has a bit too much weight, body and thickness for how little flavour there is; it's very filling. The texture doesn't seem well designed for this flavour profile. Execution is quite poor overall, but again I do think it's worth mentioning that it's not a hot or boozy brew, which is something of an accomplishment. That said, it's a pretty harsh mouthfeel overall.

Not astringent or gushed.

Dr: Not the worst malt liquor on the market, but far from the best. It's almost sickening, but I can't give it a lower rating than this because it isn't watery, and still tastes like beer. I'll be making a concerted effort to finish the entire can. It's not a sipper, but its low quality makes it tough to quaff and consuming it is making me feel terrible (especially in my stomach). ABV is hidden better than you'd expect. I wouldn't recommend this beer to anybody. Even just in this style and price range, there are better beers (and more widely available ones, for that matter). Stick to Steel Reserve for those nights when classy just doesn't cut it.

Reasonably atrocious.

tdm168

09-06-2013 00:56:54 | More by tdm168
JohnF51

1.55/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 24 oz. can into a pint glass. Appearance is a medium heavy yellow with white foam that dissipates rather quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

Odor is slightly lemony with a sourness. Kind of like the odor of a cheap lemon furniture polish. No hop smell, just malt and the leftover lemon smell.

Taste is not like a lager, which it says to be, but more of a malt liquor. Not crisp like a good lager, but has a sour taste with a lot of alcohol. Not smooth at all. No bitterness like an IPA or Pale Ale. Can't hardly even taste the malt.

Doesn't leave much on the palette. The front and sides of the tongue are somewhat in rebellion, but doesn't leave much mouthfeel one way or another.

So far, of the Malt Beverages I've tried this is the worst. On the positive side, if you are looking to get blind stupid drunk, you could ask for a better beer. Two of these would do it, but you would really be better off buying some cheap wine. This is the kind of beer you would use a brown paper back instead of a coozy. I may finish half of the glass I poured, but the rest of the glass and the can is going to be poured down the drain. I don't think the brewer was aiming to win any medals on this one, but just something cheap that you could get a buzz from and with this the brewer has succeeded.

08-26-2013 18:56:54 | More by JohnF51

08-19-2013 04:14:42 | More by MinorThreat
Frobisher

Idaho

3.04/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I am comparing Stack against other malt liquors of it's type - high gravity "lagers." As such, it is one of the best in the pack -- highly alcoholic, cheap and drinkable. Compared to larger brands such as Colt 45 or Schlitz this is a much better experience. It's obviously not a good beer in comparison to all beers on the market, but it's a great cheap malt liquor.

It's not as smooth as Old English but it is almost there and has a higher alc/vol. If you are choosing something that is cheap and will get you drunk, I recommend this. If you are looking for a quality beer experience then obviously this is not a good choice.

07-17-2013 19:03:42 | More by Frobisher
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

Correction on the abv this is 9.9% abv unless they are selling the pictured 12% abv somewhere else in the country, I'm always excited to try the next horrible malt liquor release, I'm guessing this will get the straw-ber-rita flavor out of my mouth. Appears the color of apple juice, faint white head, smells a bit like peanuts and geriatric farts with a metallic twang. Guess what this beer is going to go over big with the college kids under two bucks and they will temporarily lose their vision. My god, what is that stuff, lord help the beer industry, why is this swill acceptable there's dead Mexicans and Unicorn tears in this beer at least that's what the label screams with the font with depicted unicorn wings taking you to heaven when you have your first near death experience going head to head with your frat brothers with this beer in a beer pong tournament. Alright can we finally sue somebody for false advertisement, I give Coors the benefit of the doubt I'm sure they really frost brew their products, especially if these guys are able to label it as a SMOOTH LAGER, unless smooth is a contraction as in this lager will make you say someone I'm missing a tooth (s'm'ooth), because the people of West Virginia (my hometown) state a championing a beer that will help them loos s'more teeth. I can't even take another sip, okay for the review and the fine people of West by God Virginia here it goes...rancid flavors that are making me poetic. I will finish by saying this apple juice looking malt liquor will rot some more teeth out it will definitely s'mooth you. Mouthfeel is similar to sever acid reflux that never goes away, not typical GERD which is caused by food and drink we expose ourselves to this is gut wrenching stomach acid like on the palate that feeling after you've puked in your mouth but caught it just in time. Overall I think I've lead you to my overall impression of this fine canned 24 ounce smooth lager with 9.9% alcohol by volume...drain pourIII

05-13-2013 21:16:34 | More by WVbeergeek

12-29-2012 23:07:20 | More by aaroncom2005
Huffs

12-28-2012 01:07:28 | More by Huffs
illuminutteh

I actually liked this beer. It is nice and thick and heavy. This stuff gets you messed up fast(10% abv), so be careful of driving after drinking a can. I paid $1.69 for a can(24oz) just to try it, and it was worth every penny. I have seen a lot of bad reviews elsewhere about this beer, but hey, it is BEER, and a LAGER at that, so what do you want??? In my opinion, you can't get a better beer for the money. You may be able to find better beer, but NOT at $1.69 for a 24oz can...cheers!

12-19-2012 23:46:36 | More by illuminutteh
jslice99

11-11-2012 07:43:32 | More by jslice99
Seven

3.33/5  rDev +55.6%

This Beer is 9.9 ABV, in my area, its low price point is why its a top seller in this catagory, here in the Mt. Hood region.
The appearance is light Gold, lose's its head within two minutes.
The smell, is of green Apple's.
The taste is of Corn, a very sweet flavor with the hint of molasses for sweeteness. This is not a high quality Beer, its not as bad as other's in this group.
The flavor is a, full tongue burn, front, middle and back, very steady and over whelming alcohol flavor.
This is not designed, to be a high priced flavored, Beer. This is a Beer designed to be an affordable way to catch a buzz, keep that in mind.

11-10-2012 23:10:34 | More by Seven