Stack High Gravity Lager - United Brands Company

Stack High Gravity LagerStack High Gravity Lager

awful

United Brands Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tone77 on 12-10-2009)
1.25/5  rDev -41.6%

So I've had some of the best beers in the world in my day, but alas, I've fallen on hard fucking times. Long gone are the days of wonderful bottles of Abyss and Double Bastard. I've been subsisting for about a year now on Steel Reserve.

Granted, that is the swill of the swill, but where else can you get a buzz, a headache, and a guaranteed bowel movement for a dolla fitty? Nowhere I propose. I digress....

Appearance: Didn't even pour this bitch in a glass (I'm not naive), so appearance was .... minimal.

Smell: Took a woof and ... well, it stank.

Taste: I took a swig. Wow. Absolutely wretched. Taste gave me deja-vu of my wife removing finger nail polish. Straight acetone. Nasty. Like heating Elmer's Glue to triple point and taking a drink. Only it was cold.

Mouthfeel: an oxymoron as I can't feel my mouth.

Drinkability: only the extremely stupid or the extremely poor can finish a can of this shit. My can is empty; you decide.

Overall: wow, I'm half shitfaced and I'm a professional alcoholic. So glad I didn't buy two as the demon on my left shoulder suggested (the demon on my right shoulder wouldn't even look at this shit). AVOID LIKE AIDS!

PatronWizard, Aug 28, 2010
1.27/5  rDev -40.7%

24oz can into pint glass.

A- Golden yellow, a bit darker than expected. Fizzy.

S- Sweet sugary corn malts.

T- Way too sweet. Cooked vegetables and corn syrup. Gross. Strong alcohol presence.

M- Too high of an ABV to make this drinkable. As it warms it gets even worse.

D- Low, even for the style. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies. Stay away.

ShogoKawada, Aug 28, 2010
1.33/5  rDev -37.9%

I did a video of this for Youtube last week 24oz x 2 into a 52 oz plastic Coors Light pitcher (mistake)

10.1% variant offered here in Durham NC

24 oz can - $1.79

When i raised said pitcher to my lips i was met with a foul stench that smelled like roadkill and kerosene and i actually almost vomited before i took the first sip...

it does taste better than it smells but thats not saying much....its only drinkable with snacks...i had to resort to eating a hot dog bun and drinking heinz ketchup to kill the foul taste from my mouth as i was drinking it....about 30+ ounces into it...it finally became drinkable because i was starting to catch a serious buzz and i didnt care anymore....my wife was filming me and she was nauseated by the smell of it...and she was 6 feet away.

Ive had the 12.0% before a couple of years ago and it was actually better....i dont know where the 10.1 went wrong....

avoid at all costs

netrioter, Jul 20, 2012
1.35/5  rDev -36.9%

Where to start?
Appearance: The appearance is a tarnished golden color with a creamy large bubbled head that disipates very quickly. Nothing unattractive here, but nothing beautiful. And sadly, nothing alarming. Points off for not being more of a deterent. This should come with a cracker jack toy in the bottom of a road worker with a STOP sign... but I'm getting ahead of myself...
Smell: Don't get me wrong, I lurve me some artificial fruit aromas, corn syrup/cough syrup and whiskey. But please, who wants a gasoline Jolly Rancher? Worst smell ever? No (I've ridden greyhound near the bathroom before). Dollarstore aftershave gone wrong? Check.
Taste: It took awhile to realize what I was tasting... Some vague memory from the past... Some unholy elixir once sampled in the bowels of debauchery... This tastes like a gawdawfull boilermaker! And upon further reflection, someone has taken my beloved whiskey and traded it for Southern Comfort! A sweet, nasty shot dropped into the most yuck-filled pint of domestic swill ever. Points for originality. It made me think (the antithesis of malt liquor I'd think).
Mouthfeel: I agree with one of the posts below: Flawed question. Except for the fact that your teeth are sticking to your gums from the residual sweetness, you can't really feel your mouth. Or, I'm told, anything else if you finish a pounder of this in short order. The tingly lip sensation ought to have a following though.
Drinkability: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Not if it were my last $1.50. Three sips and I'm done. Either all at once or not at all, and having seen the aftermath of all at once, I'd strongly recommend not at all. Bleh.
Summary: I wouldn't... don't know where else to take that so I'll leave it there: I wouldn't.

oregone, Oct 19, 2010
1.38/5  rDev -35.5%

UBC LaCrosse WI and under special agreement Memphis TN on the can.

It pours a fairly dark yellow with a 1 finger head of foam with lots of bubble action.

Huge corn notes in the smell as well as some grain. It also smells the full 9.9% abv.

Corn first and foremost followed by some lemon twang that leans towards the tart side. Saying that it is rough tasting would almost be a compliment; smooth is mentioned a few times on the can.

The tartness intensifies as the beer warms and in a case like this, that is not a good thing.

I had to try it. It was cheap as dirt. I hope my sink doesn't mind a few ounces.

Bitterbill, May 28, 2014
1.43/5  rDev -33.2%

A - Clear deep golden colored beer that manages to make a small white head.

A - Smells very fruity from the characteristic scent of beer brewed fast creating a lot of fusel alcohols. Corn smell is there but the fusels mostly dominate the scent.

T - Starts out quite sweet with an alcohol burn and the taste of raw ethanol. That is about it for taste, sweet and alcohol.

M - medium, alcohol doesn't quite dissolve everything.

D - if you can swallow it. Pretty much gives what you would expect, cheap ethanol delivery device wth too sweet of a taste. Not going to finish the glass though.

harpus, Sep 11, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -30.8%

poured this into a pint glass

A: pours yellow with a light finger of quickly falling head.
S: smells like cooked greens mixed with fuel, vinegar, and a odd malt sweetness. obvious meant to be "enjoyed" from the can.
T: a weird chemical/fuel apple flavor. barely a malt flavor nor hop. the sting of alcohol is very noticeable
M: light crisp, the alcohol gives a drying effect. carbonation is medium to mild.
D: just a few sips it all i can muster to just type this up. this will probably be the last malt liquor for me for awhile.

rootbeerman, Aug 18, 2010

Kips, Apr 30, 2012

kguyty, Sep 24, 2013

jslice99, Nov 11, 2012

Huffs, Dec 28, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -28.5%

I bought this along with a few six packs of craft beer at the same place I buy all my beer, so the cashier who knows me was a little confused.

Some fine beers have extra attention paid to the packaging, such as caged and corked bottles or wax dipped tops. This beer, too, was specially packaged. It was presented to me in a brown paper bag. The bag had a design drawn on it in pen, presumably by one of the beer store owners children who are frequently running amok in the place. Being that I couldn't read the label, I assumed that such a fine brew was can conditioned and thus carefully removed the paper bag in order to not disturb the fine layer of yeast sediment resting in the can.

My snifters are dirty, so poured this beer into a standard pint glass. I know, I know, my review can no longer be considered accurate without the proper glassware, but I'll do the best I can. Pours a deep gold with a fluffy white head that disappears in only moments.

The aroma is clean and cidery with only faint hints of rocket fuel.

Mmm, so good. Taste mildly sweet. It's defining flavor character, however, is the alcohol. So few breweries really capture the taste of pure ethanol. Well, not pure ethanol. I give them too little credit. I definitely detect faint and delectable notes of methanol and propanol, and maybe even *gasp* ISOpropanol. Leaves a warming sensation in the belly which is (seriously) not all that bad.

Mouthfeel is thick and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability. *sigh* If I make it through all 24oz I'll be crying. Tears of joy? Maybe. Tears from the volatile chemicals evaporating out and getting into my eyes? Definitely.

Seriously, I try to be objective. I've drank my fair share of malt liquor and this one started out average but hit the floor. It's like Organic Chemistry in a can. I keep waiting for that hot lab TA I had to kick open my door and make sure I put on safety goggles while drinking this, and then, you know, make out with me.

irishtimepiece, Jul 11, 2010
1.55/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 24 oz. can into a pint glass. Appearance is a medium heavy yellow with white foam that dissipates rather quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

Odor is slightly lemony with a sourness. Kind of like the odor of a cheap lemon furniture polish. No hop smell, just malt and the leftover lemon smell.

Taste is not like a lager, which it says to be, but more of a malt liquor. Not crisp like a good lager, but has a sour taste with a lot of alcohol. Not smooth at all. No bitterness like an IPA or Pale Ale. Can't hardly even taste the malt.

Doesn't leave much on the palette. The front and sides of the tongue are somewhat in rebellion, but doesn't leave much mouthfeel one way or another.

So far, of the Malt Beverages I've tried this is the worst. On the positive side, if you are looking to get blind stupid drunk, you could ask for a better beer. Two of these would do it, but you would really be better off buying some cheap wine. This is the kind of beer you would use a brown paper back instead of a coozy. I may finish half of the glass I poured, but the rest of the glass and the can is going to be poured down the drain. I don't think the brewer was aiming to win any medals on this one, but just something cheap that you could get a buzz from and with this the brewer has succeeded.

JohnF51, Aug 26, 2013
1.58/5  rDev -26.2%

The colour was an orange amber and it had a tiny head that left minimal lacing.
The smell was of green apples, like a whole barrel of green apples.
The taste was of green apples, booziness, and just a hint of corn syrup. It was possible at first to just enjoy the bitter booziness of it, but it got increasingly cloying over time until it just tasted medicinal and nasty. Long before I finished the 24 oz. can, which is the only size I've ever seen it in. Avoid this. It's bad.

Update:
Seems they've been reformulating this beer recently. The previous review was for the 12% version. This is for the 9.9% version (I've still never seen the 10.1% version, the one currently advertised on their website).

I guess they decided to reformulate this in an attempt to make it taste more like beer. It smells like corn, corn husk, and metal, which is a lot more like beer than their previous concoction, which smelled like a barrel of green apples preserved in an alcohol-corn syrup solution.

The pour is typical lager-gold with a small white head. It's a little on the brown side, but very gold.
The taste is a huge improvement, so I'm going to alter my scores accordingly. It still has some of the characteristics it previously had: like the thinness and primarily sugar-alcohol taste. But the green apples are mostly gone; replaced with corn as the smell suggested. It's still a bit green apply, but nothing like the 12% version. It still leaves your mouth sorta dry, as another reviewer mentioned. They basically just took it down a notch. Tastes more like a typical HG malt liquor and a little less like "WTF?" I'd have to say it's decent...for what it is. I may even buy it again. If I get sick of Natty Daddy.

ElCommodoro, Sep 01, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -18.2%

24 oz can with the disclaimer "Brewed with the finest extra malted barley and select hops for a bold smooth flavor". WTF is 'extra' malted barley? I am already gambling with myself on how much of this I can stomach. My pre-sip over under is set at 8 oz, a third of this outta get my stomach roiling...here goes nothin...

Pours a glowingly orange color with a fizzy tan head, this might actually glow under a blacklight.

Nose smells almost exactly like apple cider and everclear. Check that...green apple jolly ranchers bathed in grain alcohol. Ruh-roh!

Taste is very sweet and very much like a granny smith apple that has bobbed around in a trash-can punch concoction in the backyard of a college frat house for a few months. Are we sure there are no fruit flavored adjuncts here? I must say, it is somewhat smoother than I anticipated for a 12%'er, but damn, this tastes like an asian nail salon that doubles as a cider factory. I think I will go for the under on 8 oz. Its pretty nasty and not very beer-like. I might attempt to sip on this for a bit longer, but damn this shit is riz-ank!

twiggamortis420, Apr 08, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -18.2%

longisland1983, Aug 22, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -15.9%

Simply put, the CANQuest continues in its infamous march. CAN you dig it?

Whoa, hoss! I could smell this bad boy as I poured it into a glass. Green apples, all the way. Phew! I did not get much head off of the pour and what existed quickly reduced to wisps. Props on color, though. It was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was hot, I could feel the alcohol burn on my tongue and when I swallowed, it felt cool from the evaporation. Man, they really jacked up the alcohol on this bad boy. Finish was lingering with an alcohol burn. There is no way I could justify recommending this as a beer except to add another casualty to the CANQuest.

woodychandler, Jan 18, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

I picked up a 24oz can at my local corner mart. Looks like a real winner. ABV is 9.9% per the label. "Stack High Gravity Smooth Lager." Reviewed as a malt liquor given its marketing, price point, and ingredients list. Served into an Independence brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely low.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a predictable clear translucent yellow littered with abundant carbonation bubbles. It's got some nice vibrance and isn't weak looking like many malt liquors. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible; it's quite clean. High transparency; you can read text through this beer.

The head is initially two fingers wide but recedes to a very thin layer atop the body inside one minute. Still, the retention is better than you'd expect for a budget range malt liquor at this high an ABV. Some limited spotty inconsistent lacing does cling to the sides of the glass after the head recedes.

Overall, it's an above average appearance for a malt liquor. I can't say I'm looking forward to trying it, but there aren't any egregious flaws.

Sm: Has a heavy malty and adjuncty sweetness. Loads of corn - mainly adjunct. Malt syrups/extract. Not as grainy as would be ideal. I also get some faint berry character - strawberry, I think. It's strange and artificial, but lends some needed complexity to an otherwise boring aroma. To its credit, there are no traces of the 9.9% ABV in the aroma. I also don't find any yeast character - or any really hop character - not even just a simple floral profile. The syrupy sweetness is off-putting, and I'm anticipating a sickly buttery texture, but this is far from the foulest malt liquor aroma I've come across.

Average strength.

T: The syrupy sweetness is certainly the core of the beer, but it isn't as offensive as anticipated. It's got some light graininess and could use more. Heavy corn adjunct is present alongside the aforementioned artificial strawberry note - which isn't doing the flavour profile any favors. I also get a cheap white wine character and some disgusting green apple notes. There's no real hop profile here.

To be fair, I will say that it hides its alcohol content pretty decently. But I can't say I like it; there's no complexity or subtlety here whatsoever. It's far from an intricate or gestalt build. Unbalanced as well.

Mf: Buttery, smooth, wet, and sticky. Overcarbonated as hell. Presence on the palate is abysmal; it's making me a bit ill. Has a bit too much weight, body and thickness for how little flavour there is; it's very filling. The texture doesn't seem well designed for this flavour profile. Execution is quite poor overall, but again I do think it's worth mentioning that it's not a hot or boozy brew, which is something of an accomplishment. That said, it's a pretty harsh mouthfeel overall.

Not astringent or gushed.

Dr: Not the worst malt liquor on the market, but far from the best. It's almost sickening, but I can't give it a lower rating than this because it isn't watery, and still tastes like beer. I'll be making a concerted effort to finish the entire can. It's not a sipper, but its low quality makes it tough to quaff and consuming it is making me feel terrible (especially in my stomach). ABV is hidden better than you'd expect. I wouldn't recommend this beer to anybody. Even just in this style and price range, there are better beers (and more widely available ones, for that matter). Stick to Steel Reserve for those nights when classy just doesn't cut it.

Reasonably atrocious.

D-

kojevergas, Jan 25, 2014
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Haven't had a new "beer" to review in a while so while out getting my daughter some ginger ale, I spotted this and was feeling a little daring..

Daring? Any beer that claims 12% abv and rings in at $1.39?! has to be an adventure in a 24oz can.

Pours a nice, clear deep gold and sports a stout 2" head..yeah the 12% made sure said head was gone in a flash..My senses were gone shortly after. It DID leave a ring which deposited some splotchy lace.

Smell was clearly green apple and somewhat grainy.

Taste is very sweet up front with a sometimes biting carbonation, (green apple!!!) obvious alcohol and getting sweet again on the finish. Mouthfeel (before your mouth goes numb) is just touching on medium..or, as I like to say, somewhat viscous.

Not really bad once you get past the first few swigs..The sheer strength of this brew clouds your sense of taste and judgement fairly quickly.

Really good choice to jump start an evening where you're hellbent on getting trashed without resorting to grain spirits!

3/29/2014 Update..New cans are rated 9.9% abv and the brew is MUCH more tolerable..actually not bad at all now!

BrewMaven, Jan 20, 2011

tdm168, Sep 06, 2013

"1161 1312" inkjet on bottom of the can.

Dull orange gold color, murky pondwater haze, weird floating plankton sediment hanging in suspension with a steady column of rising carbonation in the center. Foam instantly fizzles out, audibly sizzling, leaving a thin floating scab in the center.

Smells like green apple jolly ranchers, grape juice, and bum wine.

Tastes like cheap wine, grainy apple, cheap booze. Numbing alcohol deadens the palate after a couple sips. Gassy, sweet, and astringent, harsh and unpleasant to say the least. Green apple aftertaste dries out the mouth like a shot of liquor, with a similar boozy aftertaste. A messy and harsh cheap buzz. Not worth the headache that starts in almost immediately after a few sips.

emerge077, Dec 04, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -5.1%

I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. But hey, I love reviewing beers.

Drank straight out of the tallboy can. I can just imagine some douchebag in an Ed Hardy tshirt and hat slamming this. The can matches that motif perfectly.

Smell is noticeable even from a distance. Has that distinct smell of a nightclub - red bull and vodka on top of bud light and sweat. Sweet and sour.

Holy god, this is sweetened or something. Bitterness and alcohol poorly covered up by some sort of malt flavoring. Really awful and fake tasting. No smoothness about it. Each new sip is a shock to the system. So time to chug. No that's not exactly possible either, as it's so distasteful that it activates the gag reflex.

Man, this is really bad - just a vehicle to deliver 12% straight to the dome. I'd rather pay 8 more dollars for a bottle of a really satisfying 12% beer and enjoy it. But then again, the two worlds in which these occur hardly ever meet.

BucBasil, Jun 02, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -4.2%

Might say United Brands but this was brewed in La Crosse Wisconsin so you can guess who really brewed it.

Clear deep golden colored beer that manages to make a small white head.

Mouthfeel is medium, alcohol doesn't quite dissolve everything.

Drinkable as in you can swallow it. Pretty much gives what you would expect, cheap ethanol delivery device. Not going to finish the glass though.

Zorro, Dec 20, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -4.2%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: dark gold, much like a borderline amber. Head is white rose roughly a 1/4" off the body.

Smell: really smells like alcohol and raw hops.

Taste: high alcohol, I mean seriously, you taste rolling off your taste buds. Hops but light and slightly bitter.

Mouth: light to medium carbonation, little flat if you ask me.

Overall: this beer has one purpose, get you drunk for cheap. It is described as a smooth lager, maybe of your idea of smooth is like a thumbtack on the bottom of your foot. Salud!

BlurryVisi0n, May 17, 2012