Stack High Gravity Lager - United Brands Company

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: tone77 on 12-10-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
1.48/5  rDev -30.5%

poured this into a pint glass

A: pours yellow with a light finger of quickly falling head.
S: smells like cooked greens mixed with fuel, vinegar, and a odd malt sweetness. obvious meant to be "enjoyed" from the can.
T: a weird chemical/fuel apple flavor. barely a malt flavor nor hop. the sting of alcohol is very noticeable
M: light crisp, the alcohol gives a drying effect. carbonation is medium to mild.
D: just a few sips it all i can muster to just type this up. this will probably be the last malt liquor for me for awhile. (535 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -39%

So I've had some of the best beers in the world in my day, but alas, I've fallen on hard fucking times. Long gone are the days of wonderful bottles of Abyss and Double Bastard. I've been subsisting for about a year now on Steel Reserve.

Granted, that is the swill of the swill, but where else can you get a buzz, a headache, and a guaranteed bowel movement for a dolla fitty? Nowhere I propose. I digress....

Appearance: Didn't even pour this bitch in a glass (I'm not naive), so appearance was .... minimal.

Smell: Took a woof and ... well, it stank.

Taste: I took a swig. Wow. Absolutely wretched. Taste gave me deja-vu of my wife removing finger nail polish. Straight acetone. Nasty. Like heating Elmer's Glue to triple point and taking a drink. Only it was cold.

Mouthfeel: an oxymoron as I can't feel my mouth.

Drinkability: only the extremely stupid or the extremely poor can finish a can of this shit. My can is empty; you decide.

Overall: wow, I'm half shitfaced and I'm a professional alcoholic. So glad I didn't buy two as the demon on my left shoulder suggested (the demon on my right shoulder wouldn't even look at this shit). AVOID LIKE AIDS! (1,162 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +61.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 16 oz can.

A: Pours a light orange color, minimal fizzy head with no retention or lace. Clear, no visible carbonation.

S: Hmmm, boozy, fruity smell, strange, but oddly nice. Cherry? A little funk in the nose as well. Aroma is solid throughout the course of the can.

T: Well, wow, much better than expected. Dark fruits and molasses. Alcohol is a bit too present, but I've had worse. Lot of spice on the finish.

M: Medium body, could use more carbonation, but not bad.

O: Well, I'll be. Picked it up on a whim to see how bad it is, and it turns out not to be. Honestly, I can see myself buying this again. Drinks more like a strong dopplebock than a malt liquor, although the appearance wouldn't tell you that. (746 characters)

1.34/5  rDev -37.1%

Where to start?
Appearance: The appearance is a tarnished golden color with a creamy large bubbled head that disipates very quickly. Nothing unattractive here, but nothing beautiful. And sadly, nothing alarming. Points off for not being more of a deterent. This should come with a cracker jack toy in the bottom of a road worker with a STOP sign... but I'm getting ahead of myself...
Smell: Don't get me wrong, I lurve me some artificial fruit aromas, corn syrup/cough syrup and whiskey. But please, who wants a gasoline Jolly Rancher? Worst smell ever? No (I've ridden greyhound near the bathroom before). Dollarstore aftershave gone wrong? Check.
Taste: It took awhile to realize what I was tasting... Some vague memory from the past... Some unholy elixir once sampled in the bowels of debauchery... This tastes like a gawdawfull boilermaker! And upon further reflection, someone has taken my beloved whiskey and traded it for Southern Comfort! A sweet, nasty shot dropped into the most yuck-filled pint of domestic swill ever. Points for originality. It made me think (the antithesis of malt liquor I'd think).
Mouthfeel: I agree with one of the posts below: Flawed question. Except for the fact that your teeth are sticking to your gums from the residual sweetness, you can't really feel your mouth. Or, I'm told, anything else if you finish a pounder of this in short order. The tingly lip sensation ought to have a following though.
Drinkability: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Not if it were my last $1.50. Three sips and I'm done. Either all at once or not at all, and having seen the aftermath of all at once, I'd strongly recommend not at all. Bleh.
Summary: I wouldn't... don't know where else to take that so I'll leave it there: I wouldn't. (1,838 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -43.7%

I went out on a limb and picked up a few cans of this stuff to share with some buddies. I thought it was some kind of alcoholic energy drink at first. It does not look like beer from the outside. Upon further inspection I realized it was indeed beer, or should I say supposedly beer. 12% abv at that. I figured it couldn't be any worse than some of the 40's I've had in my day so I'd give it a shot, kind of as a novelty. Before we cracked them I said the words that sealed my fate, "How bad can it be?" This angered the beer gods, and I was quickly reminded by my friend not to make such inflammatory remarks. In short, the beer gods rose to the occasion and made this quite possibly the worst beer I've ever tasted. Hell, it might be the worst edible substance I've ever put in my mouth. It's like shitty moonshine mixed with battery acid and cut with club soda. Or more likely an abortion of an energy drink topped off with grain alcohol. Every sip made me cringe and cough. If I'm being nice, the best I can say is that it tasted like rusty champagne. But don't let that fool you, you'd rather drink whatever a bartender wrings out of his towel at the end of the night than take on the Stack. It has a very unique flavor of Froot Loops and vomit. The feeling you get when you drink it makes you question if life is even worth living. It feels horrible going down and leaves your stomach howling upon contact. You will need to drink a quart of Listerine after this, and not the nice minty green one, I'm talking the old school yellow one where "antiseptic" is actually the flavor. Stay away from this at all costs. Or if you think you're up to the task drink a whole can and you will have such an extreme point of relativity that everything else you ever eat or drink will seem like the most awesomely delicious thing you've ever tasted. (1,840 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -24.9%

The colour was an orange amber and it had a tiny head that left minimal lacing.
The smell was of green apples, like a whole barrel of green apples.
The taste was of green apples, booziness, and just a hint of corn syrup. It was possible at first to just enjoy the bitter booziness of it, but it got increasingly cloying over time until it just tasted medicinal and nasty. Long before I finished the 24 oz. can, which is the only size I've ever seen it in. Avoid this. It's bad.

Update:
Seems they've been reformulating this beer recently. The previous review was for the 12% version. This is for the 9.9% version (I've still never seen the 10.1% version, the one currently advertised on their website).

I guess they decided to reformulate this in an attempt to make it taste more like beer. It smells like corn, corn husk, and metal, which is a lot more like beer than their previous concoction, which smelled like a barrel of green apples preserved in an alcohol-corn syrup solution.

The pour is typical lager-gold with a small white head. It's a little on the brown side, but very gold.
The taste is a huge improvement, so I'm going to alter my scores accordingly. It still has some of the characteristics it previously had: like the thinness and primarily sugar-alcohol taste. But the green apples are mostly gone; replaced with corn as the smell suggested. It's still a bit green apply, but nothing like the 12% version. It still leaves your mouth sorta dry, as another reviewer mentioned. They basically just took it down a notch. Tastes more like a typical HG malt liquor and a little less like "WTF?" I'd have to say it's decent...for what it is. I may even buy it again. If I get sick of Natty Daddy. (1,711 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Haven't had a new "beer" to review in a while so while out getting my daughter some ginger ale, I spotted this and was feeling a little daring..

Daring? Any beer that claims 12% abv and rings in at $1.39?! has to be an adventure in a 24oz can.

Pours a nice, clear deep gold and sports a stout 2" head..yeah the 12% made sure said head was gone in a flash..My senses were gone shortly after. It DID leave a ring which deposited some splotchy lace.

Smell was clearly green apple and somewhat grainy.

Taste is very sweet up front with a sometimes biting carbonation, (green apple!!!) obvious alcohol and getting sweet again on the finish. Mouthfeel (before your mouth goes numb) is just touching on medium..or, as I like to say, somewhat viscous.

Not really bad once you get past the first few swigs..The sheer strength of this brew clouds your sense of taste and judgement fairly quickly.

Really good choice to jump start an evening where you're hellbent on getting trashed without resorting to grain spirits!

3/29/2014 Update..New cans are rated 9.9% abv and the brew is MUCH more tolerable..actually not bad at all now! (1,126 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +57.7%

I saw this stuff for the first time yesterday.
The 12% alky content made this one a "must try" for $1.50.
I was kind of excited about it thinking I had made a new ML discovery, but to my surprise I see several before me have slurped it already.
I cracked it open today and poured it into my finest beer glass...it has a dark piss color.
The first taste said, "wine" to me. After considering that thought a second sip reminded me of apple wine.
This is definitely brew to be sipped and regulated if you have any ambitions to continue your daily activities. I see no reason to downgrade it or to rate it against my favorite styles of beer.
This stuff is in a class of it's own and I think it is fantastic for a low priced and highly alcoholic beverage. (753 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 24 oz. can into a pint glass. Appearance is a medium heavy yellow with white foam that dissipates rather quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

Odor is slightly lemony with a sourness. Kind of like the odor of a cheap lemon furniture polish. No hop smell, just malt and the leftover lemon smell.

Taste is not like a lager, which it says to be, but more of a malt liquor. Not crisp like a good lager, but has a sour taste with a lot of alcohol. Not smooth at all. No bitterness like an IPA or Pale Ale. Can't hardly even taste the malt.

Doesn't leave much on the palette. The front and sides of the tongue are somewhat in rebellion, but doesn't leave much mouthfeel one way or another.

So far, of the Malt Beverages I've tried this is the worst. On the positive side, if you are looking to get blind stupid drunk, you could ask for a better beer. Two of these would do it, but you would really be better off buying some cheap wine. This is the kind of beer you would use a brown paper back instead of a coozy. I may finish half of the glass I poured, but the rest of the glass and the can is going to be poured down the drain. I don't think the brewer was aiming to win any medals on this one, but just something cheap that you could get a buzz from and with this the brewer has succeeded. (1,302 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -51.6%

I saw this at the party store around the corner from my house and having never seen it before or any other straight malt liquor that's 12% ABV I had to give it a shot. As they say curiosity killed the cat.

Appearance: Crystal clear straw yellow, the traditional malt liquor fare. Overly aggressive pour yields a strong two fingers of head that is white as can be. Gone in a flash leaving just enough behind for some minor lacing.

Smell: Disturbingly sweet, grainy and absolutely teeming with fusel alcohol. You know that kind of shiver you get after you take a shot of low quality liquor? That's what happened just now when I took a sniff off this one.

Taste: I thought the smell was bad. There are two aspects to this. First you have a repulsive cloying sweetness. It's truly quite awful and may be the worst I've ever experienced in any beer including other malt liquor. Second, and this was more expected, is the high presence of the booze. These two tastes play off each other to create a perfect storm of awful.

Mouthfeel: There is nothing here. Thin like water and over carbonated. Dear god I can taste the alcohol on my lips!

Drinkability: I've basically sworn to myself that I will not drain pour a beer, but this is pushing my limits. This stuff makes Steel Reserve look like Black Tuesday. This beer needs a chaser.

I'm sorry to come out and just bash a beer, but I figured as long as I was subjecting myself to this beer I would write a review. It just really is that bad. (1,489 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -23.5%

I bought this along with a few six packs of craft beer at the same place I buy all my beer, so the cashier who knows me was a little confused.

Some fine beers have extra attention paid to the packaging, such as caged and corked bottles or wax dipped tops. This beer, too, was specially packaged. It was presented to me in a brown paper bag. The bag had a design drawn on it in pen, presumably by one of the beer store owners children who are frequently running amok in the place. Being that I couldn't read the label, I assumed that such a fine brew was can conditioned and thus carefully removed the paper bag in order to not disturb the fine layer of yeast sediment resting in the can.

My snifters are dirty, so poured this beer into a standard pint glass. I know, I know, my review can no longer be considered accurate without the proper glassware, but I'll do the best I can. Pours a deep gold with a fluffy white head that disappears in only moments.

The aroma is clean and cidery with only faint hints of rocket fuel.

Mmm, so good. Taste mildly sweet. It's defining flavor character, however, is the alcohol. So few breweries really capture the taste of pure ethanol. Well, not pure ethanol. I give them too little credit. I definitely detect faint and delectable notes of methanol and propanol, and maybe even *gasp* ISOpropanol. Leaves a warming sensation in the belly which is (seriously) not all that bad.

Mouthfeel is thick and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability. *sigh* If I make it through all 24oz I'll be crying. Tears of joy? Maybe. Tears from the volatile chemicals evaporating out and getting into my eyes? Definitely.

Seriously, I try to be objective. I've drank my fair share of malt liquor and this one started out average but hit the floor. It's like Organic Chemistry in a can. I keep waiting for that hot lab TA I had to kick open my door and make sure I put on safety goggles while drinking this, and then, you know, make out with me. (1,966 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -38%

I did a video of this for Youtube last week 24oz x 2 into a 52 oz plastic Coors Light pitcher (mistake)

10.1% variant offered here in Durham NC

24 oz can - $1.79

When i raised said pitcher to my lips i was met with a foul stench that smelled like roadkill and kerosene and i actually almost vomited before i took the first sip...

it does taste better than it smells but thats not saying much....its only drinkable with snacks...i had to resort to eating a hot dog bun and drinking heinz ketchup to kill the foul taste from my mouth as i was drinking it....about 30+ ounces into it...it finally became drinkable because i was starting to catch a serious buzz and i didnt care anymore....my wife was filming me and she was nauseated by the smell of it...and she was 6 feet away.

Ive had the 12.0% before a couple of years ago and it was actually better....i dont know where the 10.1 went wrong....

avoid at all costs (922 characters)

1.05/5  rDev -50.7%

its cheap its 9.9% and its HORRIBLE
i like high gravity malt liquors but this is just bad , it was $1.65 but dont let that price point fool you
you can get much better for the same price.

its just so strong and full of corn like drinking bio diesel, its not super carbonated but it is bubbly
its reminds me of sunny delight , its so fake and full of artificial crap strong and syrupy .

this is so bad its so strong , i couldn't just drink it like a normal beer , i had to sip it like a wine , it took me a while to finish it.

i used to get 4 16 once for $1.99 at the center market and i used to be able to pound them like nothing and that was when it was 12% .
and after i had to drink this slowly because it was so bad i barly got a buzz . might as well of got a can of pbr...

this stuff is not good , i bought it to see if it was as bad as i remember and the can for the collection.

if you dont want to do either of this stay away , get old englishe ,hurricane, steel reserve, ice house edge or even natty daddy

anything is better than this even 4loco or other alco pop you can drown out the nasty with 7 up

i do not recommend stay away (1,148 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +54.9%

This Beer is 9.9 ABV, in my area, its low price point is why its a top seller in this catagory, here in the Mt. Hood region.
The appearance is light Gold, lose's its head within two minutes.
The smell, is of green Apple's.
The taste is of Corn, a very sweet flavor with the hint of molasses for sweeteness. This is not a high quality Beer, its not as bad as other's in this group.
The flavor is a, full tongue burn, front, middle and back, very steady and over whelming alcohol flavor.
This is not designed, to be a high priced flavored, Beer. This is a Beer designed to be an affordable way to catch a buzz, keep that in mind. (633 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -43.2%

Pours very deep golden color with a large head and retention is somewhat good for this type of brew. Nose is toxic/chemical and sickeningly sweet & sour like (artificial) sour green apple. A lot of alcohol heat on the backend. Mouthfeel is watery, cloyingly sweet. This tastes more like a badly put together barleywine or perhaps what I envision the wine they make in prison tastes. White Grape juice comes to mind. I drank a lot of crap beer growing up but this is possibly the WORST beer I have ever tasted. I bought it as a gag and that's what I got and then some. (567 characters)

I actually liked this beer. It is nice and thick and heavy. This stuff gets you messed up fast(10% abv), so be careful of driving after drinking a can. I paid $1.69 for a can(24oz) just to try it, and it was worth every penny. I have seen a lot of bad reviews elsewhere about this beer, but hey, it is BEER, and a LAGER at that, so what do you want??? In my opinion, you can't get a better beer for the money. You may be able to find better beer, but NOT at $1.69 for a 24oz can...cheers! (488 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +61.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To be honest, I was seriously mistaken in this purchase. Since I bought it at a store that sold high-end beer, at the same time I made a purchase of some Chimay Ale, I assumed that it was a quality product in a funky package. You know how some companies push the edge. I really don't look at price when I purchase individual bottles for tastings, but I was amazed that the Stack High Gravity Lager was one of the inexpensive ones. The cashier pointed out the high alcohol content - I dismissed it having recently read about BrewDog's greatly expensive highest alcohol content beers in Wired Magazine and seen their U-Toooob videos touting how they froze and extracted the beer to concentrate the alcohol and flavor... Sink the Bismark!!! Now admittedly, I had the Chimay first because I am somewhat enamored by those Belgian monks and their ales and cheeses - and this may have affected my taste buds somewhat. However, while the Stack is somewhat weaker in flavor, a cider-like poor cousin character and significantly thinner in appearance than the Chimay Red, I found it strangely acceptable. As with any beer above 5 abv, one begins to note the strong aroma and characteristics of a high alcohol brew. Would I like it as a stand alone, perhaps not. Would I have it again, perhaps not. However, I find that the F's and D's offered up by the BA community are also applied to some magnificent brews - Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale for instance. Give it a chance. In fact, if served to your friends after some fine Chimay Grand Reserve or Red ale, they might not notice you paid next to nothing for the 24 ouncer. It is what it is. (1,632 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I am comparing Stack against other malt liquors of it's type - high gravity "lagers." As such, it is one of the best in the pack -- highly alcoholic, cheap and drinkable. Compared to larger brands such as Colt 45 or Schlitz this is a much better experience. It's obviously not a good beer in comparison to all beers on the market, but it's a great cheap malt liquor.

It's not as smooth as Old English but it is almost there and has a higher alc/vol. If you are choosing something that is cheap and will get you drunk, I recommend this. If you are looking for a quality beer experience then obviously this is not a good choice. (628 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last