Stack High Gravity Lager - United Brands Company

Stack High Gravity LagerStack High Gravity Lager

awful

United Brands Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tone77 on 12-10-2009)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
ElCommodoro

1.58/5  rDev -26.2%

The colour was an orange amber and it had a tiny head that left minimal lacing.
The smell was of green apples, like a whole barrel of green apples.
The taste was of green apples, booziness, and just a hint of corn syrup. It was possible at first to just enjoy the bitter booziness of it, but it got increasingly cloying over time until it just tasted medicinal and nasty. Long before I finished the 24 oz. can, which is the only size I've ever seen it in. Avoid this. It's bad.

Update:
Seems they've been reformulating this beer recently. The previous review was for the 12% version. This is for the 9.9% version (I've still never seen the 10.1% version, the one currently advertised on their website).

I guess they decided to reformulate this in an attempt to make it taste more like beer. It smells like corn, corn husk, and metal, which is a lot more like beer than their previous concoction, which smelled like a barrel of green apples preserved in an alcohol-corn syrup solution.

The pour is typical lager-gold with a small white head. It's a little on the brown side, but very gold.
The taste is a huge improvement, so I'm going to alter my scores accordingly. It still has some of the characteristics it previously had: like the thinness and primarily sugar-alcohol taste. But the green apples are mostly gone; replaced with corn as the smell suggested. It's still a bit green apply, but nothing like the 12% version. It still leaves your mouth sorta dry, as another reviewer mentioned. They basically just took it down a notch. Tastes more like a typical HG malt liquor and a little less like "WTF?" I'd have to say it's decent...for what it is. I may even buy it again. If I get sick of Natty Daddy.

09-01-2011 08:17:15 | More by ElCommodoro
AmericanGothic

Iowa

3.45/5  rDev +61.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 16 oz can.

A: Pours a light orange color, minimal fizzy head with no retention or lace. Clear, no visible carbonation.

S: Hmmm, boozy, fruity smell, strange, but oddly nice. Cherry? A little funk in the nose as well. Aroma is solid throughout the course of the can.

T: Well, wow, much better than expected. Dark fruits and molasses. Alcohol is a bit too present, but I've had worse. Lot of spice on the finish.

M: Medium body, could use more carbonation, but not bad.

O: Well, I'll be. Picked it up on a whim to see how bad it is, and it turns out not to be. Honestly, I can see myself buying this again. Drinks more like a strong dopplebock than a malt liquor, although the appearance wouldn't tell you that.

04-28-2011 02:35:35 | More by AmericanGothic
twiggamortis420

1.75/5  rDev -18.2%

24 oz can with the disclaimer "Brewed with the finest extra malted barley and select hops for a bold smooth flavor". WTF is 'extra' malted barley? I am already gambling with myself on how much of this I can stomach. My pre-sip over under is set at 8 oz, a third of this outta get my stomach roiling...here goes nothin...

Pours a glowingly orange color with a fizzy tan head, this might actually glow under a blacklight.

Nose smells almost exactly like apple cider and everclear. Check that...green apple jolly ranchers bathed in grain alcohol. Ruh-roh!

Taste is very sweet and very much like a granny smith apple that has bobbed around in a trash-can punch concoction in the backyard of a college frat house for a few months. Are we sure there are no fruit flavored adjuncts here? I must say, it is somewhat smoother than I anticipated for a 12%'er, but damn, this tastes like an asian nail salon that doubles as a cider factory. I think I will go for the under on 8 oz. Its pretty nasty and not very beer-like. I might attempt to sip on this for a bit longer, but damn this shit is riz-ank!

04-08-2011 00:08:51 | More by twiggamortis420
BrewMaven

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Haven't had a new "beer" to review in a while so while out getting my daughter some ginger ale, I spotted this and was feeling a little daring..

Daring? Any beer that claims 12% abv and rings in at $1.39?! has to be an adventure in a 24oz can.

Pours a nice, clear deep gold and sports a stout 2" head..yeah the 12% made sure said head was gone in a flash..My senses were gone shortly after. It DID leave a ring which deposited some splotchy lace.

Smell was clearly green apple and somewhat grainy.

Taste is very sweet up front with a sometimes biting carbonation, (green apple!!!) obvious alcohol and getting sweet again on the finish. Mouthfeel (before your mouth goes numb) is just touching on medium..or, as I like to say, somewhat viscous.

Not really bad once you get past the first few swigs..The sheer strength of this brew clouds your sense of taste and judgement fairly quickly.

Really good choice to jump start an evening where you're hellbent on getting trashed without resorting to grain spirits!

3/29/2014 Update..New cans are rated 9.9% abv and the brew is MUCH more tolerable..actually not bad at all now!

01-20-2011 00:21:51 | More by BrewMaven
BeefyMee

Connecticut

1.18/5  rDev -44.9%

I went out on a limb and picked up a few cans of this stuff to share with some buddies. I thought it was some kind of alcoholic energy drink at first. It does not look like beer from the outside. Upon further inspection I realized it was indeed beer, or should I say supposedly beer. 12% abv at that. I figured it couldn't be any worse than some of the 40's I've had in my day so I'd give it a shot, kind of as a novelty. Before we cracked them I said the words that sealed my fate, "How bad can it be?" This angered the beer gods, and I was quickly reminded by my friend not to make such inflammatory remarks. In short, the beer gods rose to the occasion and made this quite possibly the worst beer I've ever tasted. Hell, it might be the worst edible substance I've ever put in my mouth. It's like shitty moonshine mixed with battery acid and cut with club soda. Or more likely an abortion of an energy drink topped off with grain alcohol. Every sip made me cringe and cough. If I'm being nice, the best I can say is that it tasted like rusty champagne. But don't let that fool you, you'd rather drink whatever a bartender wrings out of his towel at the end of the night than take on the Stack. It has a very unique flavor of Froot Loops and vomit. The feeling you get when you drink it makes you question if life is even worth living. It feels horrible going down and leaves your stomach howling upon contact. You will need to drink a quart of Listerine after this, and not the nice minty green one, I'm talking the old school yellow one where "antiseptic" is actually the flavor. Stay away from this at all costs. Or if you think you're up to the task drink a whole can and you will have such an extreme point of relativity that everything else you ever eat or drink will seem like the most awesomely delicious thing you've ever tasted.

10-22-2010 00:33:28 | More by BeefyMee
oregone

Oregon

1.35/5  rDev -36.9%

Where to start?
Appearance: The appearance is a tarnished golden color with a creamy large bubbled head that disipates very quickly. Nothing unattractive here, but nothing beautiful. And sadly, nothing alarming. Points off for not being more of a deterent. This should come with a cracker jack toy in the bottom of a road worker with a STOP sign... but I'm getting ahead of myself...
Smell: Don't get me wrong, I lurve me some artificial fruit aromas, corn syrup/cough syrup and whiskey. But please, who wants a gasoline Jolly Rancher? Worst smell ever? No (I've ridden greyhound near the bathroom before). Dollarstore aftershave gone wrong? Check.
Taste: It took awhile to realize what I was tasting... Some vague memory from the past... Some unholy elixir once sampled in the bowels of debauchery... This tastes like a gawdawfull boilermaker! And upon further reflection, someone has taken my beloved whiskey and traded it for Southern Comfort! A sweet, nasty shot dropped into the most yuck-filled pint of domestic swill ever. Points for originality. It made me think (the antithesis of malt liquor I'd think).
Mouthfeel: I agree with one of the posts below: Flawed question. Except for the fact that your teeth are sticking to your gums from the residual sweetness, you can't really feel your mouth. Or, I'm told, anything else if you finish a pounder of this in short order. The tingly lip sensation ought to have a following though.
Drinkability: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Not if it were my last $1.50. Three sips and I'm done. Either all at once or not at all, and having seen the aftermath of all at once, I'd strongly recommend not at all. Bleh.
Summary: I wouldn't... don't know where else to take that so I'll leave it there: I wouldn't.

10-19-2010 21:38:40 | More by oregone
JMad

1.23/5  rDev -42.5%

From a 24 ounce can to a glass mug...
Pours a light copper orange color with a thin white head that left some lacing.
Smells like a metallic wet dog.
Taste consists of sweet malt, corn and alcohol.
Feels very thick.
I'll be honest I had to force this one down, it's the worst beer I've ever had.

09-25-2010 20:14:14 | More by JMad
harpus

Alabama

1.43/5  rDev -33.2%

A - Clear deep golden colored beer that manages to make a small white head.

A - Smells very fruity from the characteristic scent of beer brewed fast creating a lot of fusel alcohols. Corn smell is there but the fusels mostly dominate the scent.

T - Starts out quite sweet with an alcohol burn and the taste of raw ethanol. That is about it for taste, sweet and alcohol.

M - medium, alcohol doesn't quite dissolve everything.

D - if you can swallow it. Pretty much gives what you would expect, cheap ethanol delivery device wth too sweet of a taste. Not going to finish the glass though.

09-11-2010 04:10:39 | More by harpus
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.78/5  rDev +29.9%

From the 24 fl. oz. can 1161-2008. Sampled on September 6, 2010. This "craft" malt liquor pours a golden-yellow with a fizzy white head that dissolves to a thin ring. Like the macro malt liquors on the market this one bursts with the aroma of barley, grains, and malt. The taste adheres to the malt liquor style with an explosion of barley malts immersed in an obvious alcohol casing. But there is a slight sweetness that accompanies the sour. Not my kind of thing but hats off to the brewer for emulating the malt liquor tradition.

09-06-2010 22:05:17 | More by puboflyons
PatronWizard

1.25/5  rDev -41.6%

So I've had some of the best beers in the world in my day, but alas, I've fallen on hard fucking times. Long gone are the days of wonderful bottles of Abyss and Double Bastard. I've been subsisting for about a year now on Steel Reserve.

Granted, that is the swill of the swill, but where else can you get a buzz, a headache, and a guaranteed bowel movement for a dolla fitty? Nowhere I propose. I digress....

Appearance: Didn't even pour this bitch in a glass (I'm not naive), so appearance was .... minimal.

Smell: Took a woof and ... well, it stank.

Taste: I took a swig. Wow. Absolutely wretched. Taste gave me deja-vu of my wife removing finger nail polish. Straight acetone. Nasty. Like heating Elmer's Glue to triple point and taking a drink. Only it was cold.

Mouthfeel: an oxymoron as I can't feel my mouth.

Drinkability: only the extremely stupid or the extremely poor can finish a can of this shit. My can is empty; you decide.

Overall: wow, I'm half shitfaced and I'm a professional alcoholic. So glad I didn't buy two as the demon on my left shoulder suggested (the demon on my right shoulder wouldn't even look at this shit). AVOID LIKE AIDS!

08-28-2010 20:52:55 | More by PatronWizard
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

1.27/5  rDev -40.7%

24oz can into pint glass.

A- Golden yellow, a bit darker than expected. Fizzy.

S- Sweet sugary corn malts.

T- Way too sweet. Cooked vegetables and corn syrup. Gross. Strong alcohol presence.

M- Too high of an ABV to make this drinkable. As it warms it gets even worse.

D- Low, even for the style. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies. Stay away.

08-28-2010 14:19:47 | More by ShogoKawada
rootbeerman

1.48/5  rDev -30.8%

poured this into a pint glass

A: pours yellow with a light finger of quickly falling head.
S: smells like cooked greens mixed with fuel, vinegar, and a odd malt sweetness. obvious meant to be "enjoyed" from the can.
T: a weird chemical/fuel apple flavor. barely a malt flavor nor hop. the sting of alcohol is very noticeable
M: light crisp, the alcohol gives a drying effect. carbonation is medium to mild.
D: just a few sips it all i can muster to just type this up. this will probably be the last malt liquor for me for awhile.

08-18-2010 08:29:32 | More by rootbeerman
crankyguzzler

3.45/5  rDev +61.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To be honest, I was seriously mistaken in this purchase. Since I bought it at a store that sold high-end beer, at the same time I made a purchase of some Chimay Ale, I assumed that it was a quality product in a funky package. You know how some companies push the edge. I really don't look at price when I purchase individual bottles for tastings, but I was amazed that the Stack High Gravity Lager was one of the inexpensive ones. The cashier pointed out the high alcohol content - I dismissed it having recently read about BrewDog's greatly expensive highest alcohol content beers in Wired Magazine and seen their U-Toooob videos touting how they froze and extracted the beer to concentrate the alcohol and flavor... Sink the Bismark!!! Now admittedly, I had the Chimay first because I am somewhat enamored by those Belgian monks and their ales and cheeses - and this may have affected my taste buds somewhat. However, while the Stack is somewhat weaker in flavor, a cider-like poor cousin character and significantly thinner in appearance than the Chimay Red, I found it strangely acceptable. As with any beer above 5 abv, one begins to note the strong aroma and characteristics of a high alcohol brew. Would I like it as a stand alone, perhaps not. Would I have it again, perhaps not. However, I find that the F's and D's offered up by the BA community are also applied to some magnificent brews - Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale for instance. Give it a chance. In fact, if served to your friends after some fine Chimay Grand Reserve or Red ale, they might not notice you paid next to nothing for the 24 ouncer. It is what it is.

07-24-2010 04:21:35 | More by crankyguzzler
irishtimepiece

1.53/5  rDev -28.5%

I bought this along with a few six packs of craft beer at the same place I buy all my beer, so the cashier who knows me was a little confused.

Some fine beers have extra attention paid to the packaging, such as caged and corked bottles or wax dipped tops. This beer, too, was specially packaged. It was presented to me in a brown paper bag. The bag had a design drawn on it in pen, presumably by one of the beer store owners children who are frequently running amok in the place. Being that I couldn't read the label, I assumed that such a fine brew was can conditioned and thus carefully removed the paper bag in order to not disturb the fine layer of yeast sediment resting in the can.

My snifters are dirty, so poured this beer into a standard pint glass. I know, I know, my review can no longer be considered accurate without the proper glassware, but I'll do the best I can. Pours a deep gold with a fluffy white head that disappears in only moments.

The aroma is clean and cidery with only faint hints of rocket fuel.

Mmm, so good. Taste mildly sweet. It's defining flavor character, however, is the alcohol. So few breweries really capture the taste of pure ethanol. Well, not pure ethanol. I give them too little credit. I definitely detect faint and delectable notes of methanol and propanol, and maybe even *gasp* ISOpropanol. Leaves a warming sensation in the belly which is (seriously) not all that bad.

Mouthfeel is thick and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability. *sigh* If I make it through all 24oz I'll be crying. Tears of joy? Maybe. Tears from the volatile chemicals evaporating out and getting into my eyes? Definitely.

Seriously, I try to be objective. I've drank my fair share of malt liquor and this one started out average but hit the floor. It's like Organic Chemistry in a can. I keep waiting for that hot lab TA I had to kick open my door and make sure I put on safety goggles while drinking this, and then, you know, make out with me.

07-11-2010 05:45:24 | More by irishtimepiece
Mora2000

1.23/5  rDev -42.5%

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this beer. It was sampled side-by-side with a can of Earthquake in order to truly experience some great malt liquors.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is wheat, pickles, trash and citrus. The flavor is citrus, wheat and alcohol. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Better than Earthquake, but that is not saying much.

07-04-2010 23:40:44 | More by Mora2000
shawnclark35

1.2/5  rDev -43.9%

Pours very deep golden color with a large head and retention is somewhat good for this type of brew. Nose is toxic/chemical and sickeningly sweet & sour like (artificial) sour green apple. A lot of alcohol heat on the backend. Mouthfeel is watery, cloyingly sweet. This tastes more like a badly put together barleywine or perhaps what I envision the wine they make in prison tastes. White Grape juice comes to mind. I drank a lot of crap beer growing up but this is possibly the WORST beer I have ever tasted. I bought it as a gag and that's what I got and then some.

05-16-2010 19:03:07 | More by shawnclark35
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.85/5  rDev +33.2%

Stack High Gravity Smooth Lager has a surprisingly thick, white head and relatively high carbonation. The beer has a somewhat cloudy orange-gold appearance. Aroma is stinging, with strong apple and alcohol notes. Taste is very fruity and alcoholic; this drink tastes more like wine than beer. Mouth-feel is heavy and wet. There is almost no lacing with Stack. Although the term "good" may not enter into the discussion, bland does not either. It's worth a try, if only for the shocking and unusual aspect of it.

RJT

04-26-2010 21:09:39 | More by RonaldTheriot
industrialswill

Washington

3.3/5  rDev +54.2%

I saw this stuff for the first time yesterday.
The 12% alky content made this one a "must try" for $1.50.
I was kind of excited about it thinking I had made a new ML discovery, but to my surprise I see several before me have slurped it already.
I cracked it open today and poured it into my finest beer glass...it has a dark piss color.
The first taste said, "wine" to me. After considering that thought a second sip reminded me of apple wine.
This is definitely brew to be sipped and regulated if you have any ambitions to continue your daily activities. I see no reason to downgrade it or to rate it against my favorite styles of beer.
This stuff is in a class of it's own and I think it is fantastic for a low priced and highly alcoholic beverage.

04-01-2010 21:19:01 | More by industrialswill
vacax

3.03/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From the creators of Mamba Joose and Panther Joose comes this dynamic new malt liquor, reportedly clocking in at 12%. My fellow BA and intrepid malt liquor enthusiast t0rin0 located this brew at a liquor store next door to a porn shop. Pours deep gold and clear with about a finger of head, fair retention, and very good lacing. The appearance is quite quality. The aroma has a fruity maltiness to it with apples and pears, but no real off notes besides a touch of plastic.

The taste is quite sweet, rank with pears to a cloying extent and with a spicy bready finish. Now this is quite sweet and not appealing, but it is not as awful as a 12% malt liquor by all accounts should be. In this respect, this is actually quite a good malt liquor. The body is medium to full with a high amount of carbonation. I'd prefer less carbonation, as if you are drinking this beer it impedes the shotgunning capability. I most likely won't be sampling this beverage again, but if I was broke and wanted some malt liquor... well this is an adequate choice. I'm not saying this tastes good, but for a 12% malt liquor it tastes better than it should.

02-14-2010 21:20:36 | More by vacax
womencantsail

3.5/5  rDev +63.6%

A tall can generously shared by Bobby at a tasting.

A: The pour is a crystal clear pale golden color with an initially fluffy white head.

S: The nose is sweet and almost corn syrup like, but not the usually offensive aromas of malt liquor.

T: Like the nose before it, this one is surprisingly decent. I found the sweetness of this beer to be almost like apple juice.

M: The body is obviously lacking in this one, but not to the extent of many other malt liquors. The finish is crisp and actually moderately refreshing.

D: This is easily the best malt liquor that I've had. While it is very sweet, I found it to be lacking in the usually bad traits of malt liquors. If you're ballin' on a budget, this one might be for you.

02-08-2010 19:41:46 | More by womencantsail
woodychandler

1.8/5  rDev -15.9%

Simply put, the CANQuest continues in its infamous march. CAN you dig it?

Whoa, hoss! I could smell this bad boy as I poured it into a glass. Green apples, all the way. Phew! I did not get much head off of the pour and what existed quickly reduced to wisps. Props on color, though. It was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was hot, I could feel the alcohol burn on my tongue and when I swallowed, it felt cool from the evaporation. Man, they really jacked up the alcohol on this bad boy. Finish was lingering with an alcohol burn. There is no way I could justify recommending this as a beer except to add another casualty to the CANQuest.

01-18-2010 21:57:43 | More by woodychandler
DrDoitchbig

1.02/5  rDev -52.3%

I saw this at the party store around the corner from my house and having never seen it before or any other straight malt liquor that's 12% ABV I had to give it a shot. As they say curiosity killed the cat.

Appearance: Crystal clear straw yellow, the traditional malt liquor fare. Overly aggressive pour yields a strong two fingers of head that is white as can be. Gone in a flash leaving just enough behind for some minor lacing.

Smell: Disturbingly sweet, grainy and absolutely teeming with fusel alcohol. You know that kind of shiver you get after you take a shot of low quality liquor? That's what happened just now when I took a sniff off this one.

Taste: I thought the smell was bad. There are two aspects to this. First you have a repulsive cloying sweetness. It's truly quite awful and may be the worst I've ever experienced in any beer including other malt liquor. Second, and this was more expected, is the high presence of the booze. These two tastes play off each other to create a perfect storm of awful.

Mouthfeel: There is nothing here. Thin like water and over carbonated. Dear god I can taste the alcohol on my lips!

Drinkability: I've basically sworn to myself that I will not drain pour a beer, but this is pushing my limits. This stuff makes Steel Reserve look like Black Tuesday. This beer needs a chaser.

I'm sorry to come out and just bash a beer, but I figured as long as I was subjecting myself to this beer I would write a review. It just really is that bad.

01-08-2010 02:28:36 | More by DrDoitchbig
Zorro

2.05/5  rDev -4.2%

Might say United Brands but this was brewed in La Crosse Wisconsin so you can guess who really brewed it.

Clear deep golden colored beer that manages to make a small white head.

Mouthfeel is medium, alcohol doesn't quite dissolve everything.

Drinkable as in you can swallow it. Pretty much gives what you would expect, cheap ethanol delivery device. Not going to finish the glass though.

12-20-2009 22:16:10 | More by Zorro
tone77

2.65/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mostly of alcohol, some malts and slightly sweet. Taste starts of sweet and finishes with alcohol. Did someone drop a shot in my beer? Feels light in the mouth. This is definatly not a session beer, 1 of these cans was plenty for me. Overall if you are looking to get slam faced cheap, this one is the way to go. Otherwise avoid it.

12-10-2009 14:47:50 | More by tone77