1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stack High Gravity Lager - United Brands Company

Stack High Gravity LagerStack High Gravity Lager

awful

United Brands Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tone77 on 12-10-2009)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 49 | Reviews: 36 | Show All Ratings:
vulgora

1.05/5  rDev -50.7%

its cheap its 9.9% and its HORRIBLE
i like high gravity malt liquors but this is just bad , it was $1.65 but dont let that price point fool you
you can get much better for the same price.

its just so strong and full of corn like drinking bio diesel, its not super carbonated but it is bubbly
its reminds me of sunny delight , its so fake and full of artificial crap strong and syrupy .

this is so bad its so strong , i couldn't just drink it like a normal beer , i had to sip it like a wine , it took me a while to finish it.

i used to get 4 16 once for $1.99 at the center market and i used to be able to pound them like nothing and that was when it was 12% .
and after i had to drink this slowly because it was so bad i barly got a buzz . might as well of got a can of pbr...

this stuff is not good , i bought it to see if it was as bad as i remember and the can for the collection.

if you dont want to do either of this stay away , get old englishe ,hurricane, steel reserve, ice house edge or even natty daddy

anything is better than this even 4loco or other alco pop you can drown out the nasty with 7 up

i do not recommend stay away

02-11-2014 18:20:10 | More by vulgora
kojevergas

1.93/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

I picked up a 24oz can at my local corner mart. Looks like a real winner. ABV is 9.9% per the label. "Stack High Gravity Smooth Lager." Reviewed as a malt liquor given its marketing, price point, and ingredients list. Served into an Independence brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely low.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a predictable clear translucent yellow littered with abundant carbonation bubbles. It's got some nice vibrance and isn't weak looking like many malt liquors. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible; it's quite clean. High transparency; you can read text through this beer.

The head is initially two fingers wide but recedes to a very thin layer atop the body inside one minute. Still, the retention is better than you'd expect for a budget range malt liquor at this high an ABV. Some limited spotty inconsistent lacing does cling to the sides of the glass after the head recedes.

Overall, it's an above average appearance for a malt liquor. I can't say I'm looking forward to trying it, but there aren't any egregious flaws.

Sm: Has a heavy malty and adjuncty sweetness. Loads of corn - mainly adjunct. Malt syrups/extract. Not as grainy as would be ideal. I also get some faint berry character - strawberry, I think. It's strange and artificial, but lends some needed complexity to an otherwise boring aroma. To its credit, there are no traces of the 9.9% ABV in the aroma. I also don't find any yeast character - or any really hop character - not even just a simple floral profile. The syrupy sweetness is off-putting, and I'm anticipating a sickly buttery texture, but this is far from the foulest malt liquor aroma I've come across.

Average strength.

T: The syrupy sweetness is certainly the core of the beer, but it isn't as offensive as anticipated. It's got some light graininess and could use more. Heavy corn adjunct is present alongside the aforementioned artificial strawberry note - which isn't doing the flavour profile any favors. I also get a cheap white wine character and some disgusting green apple notes. There's no real hop profile here.

To be fair, I will say that it hides its alcohol content pretty decently. But I can't say I like it; there's no complexity or subtlety here whatsoever. It's far from an intricate or gestalt build. Unbalanced as well.

Mf: Buttery, smooth, wet, and sticky. Overcarbonated as hell. Presence on the palate is abysmal; it's making me a bit ill. Has a bit too much weight, body and thickness for how little flavour there is; it's very filling. The texture doesn't seem well designed for this flavour profile. Execution is quite poor overall, but again I do think it's worth mentioning that it's not a hot or boozy brew, which is something of an accomplishment. That said, it's a pretty harsh mouthfeel overall.

Not astringent or gushed.

Dr: Not the worst malt liquor on the market, but far from the best. It's almost sickening, but I can't give it a lower rating than this because it isn't watery, and still tastes like beer. I'll be making a concerted effort to finish the entire can. It's not a sipper, but its low quality makes it tough to quaff and consuming it is making me feel terrible (especially in my stomach). ABV is hidden better than you'd expect. I wouldn't recommend this beer to anybody. Even just in this style and price range, there are better beers (and more widely available ones, for that matter). Stick to Steel Reserve for those nights when classy just doesn't cut it.

Reasonably atrocious.

D-

01-25-2014 01:27:15 | More by kojevergas
JohnF51

1.55/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 24 oz. can into a pint glass. Appearance is a medium heavy yellow with white foam that dissipates rather quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

Odor is slightly lemony with a sourness. Kind of like the odor of a cheap lemon furniture polish. No hop smell, just malt and the leftover lemon smell.

Taste is not like a lager, which it says to be, but more of a malt liquor. Not crisp like a good lager, but has a sour taste with a lot of alcohol. Not smooth at all. No bitterness like an IPA or Pale Ale. Can't hardly even taste the malt.

Doesn't leave much on the palette. The front and sides of the tongue are somewhat in rebellion, but doesn't leave much mouthfeel one way or another.

So far, of the Malt Beverages I've tried this is the worst. On the positive side, if you are looking to get blind stupid drunk, you could ask for a better beer. Two of these would do it, but you would really be better off buying some cheap wine. This is the kind of beer you would use a brown paper back instead of a coozy. I may finish half of the glass I poured, but the rest of the glass and the can is going to be poured down the drain. I don't think the brewer was aiming to win any medals on this one, but just something cheap that you could get a buzz from and with this the brewer has succeeded.

08-26-2013 18:56:54 | More by JohnF51
Frobisher

Idaho

3.04/5  rDev +42.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I am comparing Stack against other malt liquors of it's type - high gravity "lagers." As such, it is one of the best in the pack -- highly alcoholic, cheap and drinkable. Compared to larger brands such as Colt 45 or Schlitz this is a much better experience. It's obviously not a good beer in comparison to all beers on the market, but it's a great cheap malt liquor.

It's not as smooth as Old English but it is almost there and has a higher alc/vol. If you are choosing something that is cheap and will get you drunk, I recommend this. If you are looking for a quality beer experience then obviously this is not a good choice.

07-17-2013 19:03:42 | More by Frobisher
WVbeergeek

Correction on the abv this is 9.9% abv unless they are selling the pictured 12% abv somewhere else in the country, I'm always excited to try the next horrible malt liquor release, I'm guessing this will get the straw-ber-rita flavor out of my mouth. Appears the color of apple juice, faint white head, smells a bit like peanuts and geriatric farts with a metallic twang. Guess what this beer is going to go over big with the college kids under two bucks and they will temporarily lose their vision. My god, what is that stuff, lord help the beer industry, why is this swill acceptable there's dead Mexicans and Unicorn tears in this beer at least that's what the label screams with the font with depicted unicorn wings taking you to heaven when you have your first near death experience going head to head with your frat brothers with this beer in a beer pong tournament. Alright can we finally sue somebody for false advertisement, I give Coors the benefit of the doubt I'm sure they really frost brew their products, especially if these guys are able to label it as a SMOOTH LAGER, unless smooth is a contraction as in this lager will make you say someone I'm missing a tooth (s'm'ooth), because the people of West Virginia (my hometown) state a championing a beer that will help them loos s'more teeth. I can't even take another sip, okay for the review and the fine people of West by God Virginia here it goes...rancid flavors that are making me poetic. I will finish by saying this apple juice looking malt liquor will rot some more teeth out it will definitely s'mooth you. Mouthfeel is similar to sever acid reflux that never goes away, not typical GERD which is caused by food and drink we expose ourselves to this is gut wrenching stomach acid like on the palate that feeling after you've puked in your mouth but caught it just in time. Overall I think I've lead you to my overall impression of this fine canned 24 ounce smooth lager with 9.9% alcohol by volume...drain pourIII

05-13-2013 21:16:34 | More by WVbeergeek
illuminutteh

I actually liked this beer. It is nice and thick and heavy. This stuff gets you messed up fast(10% abv), so be careful of driving after drinking a can. I paid $1.69 for a can(24oz) just to try it, and it was worth every penny. I have seen a lot of bad reviews elsewhere about this beer, but hey, it is BEER, and a LAGER at that, so what do you want??? In my opinion, you can't get a better beer for the money. You may be able to find better beer, but NOT at $1.69 for a 24oz can...cheers!

12-19-2012 23:46:36 | More by illuminutteh
Seven

3.33/5  rDev +56.3%

This Beer is 9.9 ABV, in my area, its low price point is why its a top seller in this catagory, here in the Mt. Hood region.
The appearance is light Gold, lose's its head within two minutes.
The smell, is of green Apple's.
The taste is of Corn, a very sweet flavor with the hint of molasses for sweeteness. This is not a high quality Beer, its not as bad as other's in this group.
The flavor is a, full tongue burn, front, middle and back, very steady and over whelming alcohol flavor.
This is not designed, to be a high priced flavored, Beer. This is a Beer designed to be an affordable way to catch a buzz, keep that in mind.

11-10-2012 23:10:34 | More by Seven
netrioter

1.33/5  rDev -37.6%

I did a video of this for Youtube last week 24oz x 2 into a 52 oz plastic Coors Light pitcher (mistake)

10.1% variant offered here in Durham NC

24 oz can - $1.79

When i raised said pitcher to my lips i was met with a foul stench that smelled like roadkill and kerosene and i actually almost vomited before i took the first sip...

it does taste better than it smells but thats not saying much....its only drinkable with snacks...i had to resort to eating a hot dog bun and drinking heinz ketchup to kill the foul taste from my mouth as i was drinking it....about 30+ ounces into it...it finally became drinkable because i was starting to catch a serious buzz and i didnt care anymore....my wife was filming me and she was nauseated by the smell of it...and she was 6 feet away.

Ive had the 12.0% before a couple of years ago and it was actually better....i dont know where the 10.1 went wrong....

avoid at all costs

07-20-2012 10:33:59 | More by netrioter
BucBasil

South Carolina

2.03/5  rDev -4.7%

I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. But hey, I love reviewing beers.

Drank straight out of the tallboy can. I can just imagine some douchebag in an Ed Hardy tshirt and hat slamming this. The can matches that motif perfectly.

Smell is noticeable even from a distance. Has that distinct smell of a nightclub - red bull and vodka on top of bud light and sweat. Sweet and sour.

Holy god, this is sweetened or something. Bitterness and alcohol poorly covered up by some sort of malt flavoring. Really awful and fake tasting. No smoothness about it. Each new sip is a shock to the system. So time to chug. No that's not exactly possible either, as it's so distasteful that it activates the gag reflex.

Man, this is really bad - just a vehicle to deliver 12% straight to the dome. I'd rather pay 8 more dollars for a bottle of a really satisfying 12% beer and enjoy it. But then again, the two worlds in which these occur hardly ever meet.

06-01-2012 23:45:18 | More by BucBasil
BlurryVisi0n

2.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: dark gold, much like a borderline amber. Head is white rose roughly a 1/4" off the body.

Smell: really smells like alcohol and raw hops.

Taste: high alcohol, I mean seriously, you taste rolling off your taste buds. Hops but light and slightly bitter.

Mouth: light to medium carbonation, little flat if you ask me.

Overall: this beer has one purpose, get you drunk for cheap. It is described as a smooth lager, maybe of your idea of smooth is like a thumbtack on the bottom of your foot. Salud!

05-17-2012 02:34:05 | More by BlurryVisi0n
emerge077

"1161 1312" inkjet on bottom of the can.

Dull orange gold color, murky pondwater haze, weird floating plankton sediment hanging in suspension with a steady column of rising carbonation in the center. Foam instantly fizzles out, audibly sizzling, leaving a thin floating scab in the center.

Smells like green apple jolly ranchers, grape juice, and bum wine.

Tastes like cheap wine, grainy apple, cheap booze. Numbing alcohol deadens the palate after a couple sips. Gassy, sweet, and astringent, harsh and unpleasant to say the least. Green apple aftertaste dries out the mouth like a shot of liquor, with a similar boozy aftertaste. A messy and harsh cheap buzz. Not worth the headache that starts in almost immediately after a few sips.

12-04-2011 02:41:15 | More by emerge077
MasterSki

3.4/5  rDev +59.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to joshuaseresse for this gem. Split with Jason after enjoying Boobs of Khan: A Star Trek Burlesque. Served in a Darkness glass.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thin collar and tiny spots of lace. Slightly hazed orange peach body.

S - The aroma is initially quite understated, although as it warms up there is some grain and strawberry sweetness, as well as a mild sharp fusel alcohol note. Pretty tame for the listed 12% ABV.

T - The taste is actually a bit better, with some sugar sweetness, white grapes, and neutral grain character. Alcohol is well-hidden and finish is pretty smooth.

M - Medium grainy body, medium-high carbonation, low alcohol warmth. Very smooth stuff.

D - I was actually a bit pissed off when Jason poured out the can remnants before I could refill my glass, although in retrospect he was probably doing me a favor. Still, for a 12% high-gravity lager, this one can't be beat. Shockingly drinkable and inoffensive - gonna have to seek this one out again to share with the BAs who missed out.

09-10-2011 19:23:51 | More by MasterSki
ElCommodoro

1.58/5  rDev -25.8%

The colour was an orange amber and it had a tiny head that left minimal lacing.
The smell was of green apples, like a whole barrel of green apples.
The taste was of green apples, booziness, and just a hint of corn syrup. It was possible at first to just enjoy the bitter booziness of it, but it got increasingly cloying over time until it just tasted medicinal and nasty. Long before I finished the 24 oz. can, which is the only size I've ever seen it in. Avoid this. It's bad.

Update:
Seems they've been reformulating this beer recently. The previous review was for the 12% version. This is for the 9.9% version (I've still never seen the 10.1% version, the one currently advertised on their website).

I guess they decided to reformulate this in an attempt to make it taste more like beer. It smells like corn, corn husk, and metal, which is a lot more like beer than their previous concoction, which smelled like a barrel of green apples preserved in an alcohol-corn syrup solution.

The pour is typical lager-gold with a small white head. It's a little on the brown side, but very gold.
The taste is a huge improvement, so I'm going to alter my scores accordingly. It still has some of the characteristics it previously had: like the thinness and primarily sugar-alcohol taste. But the green apples are mostly gone; replaced with corn as the smell suggested. It's still a bit green apply, but nothing like the 12% version. It still leaves your mouth sorta dry, as another reviewer mentioned. They basically just took it down a notch. Tastes more like a typical HG malt liquor and a little less like "WTF?" I'd have to say it's decent...for what it is. I may even buy it again. If I get sick of Natty Daddy.

09-01-2011 08:17:15 | More by ElCommodoro
AmericanGothic

Iowa

3.45/5  rDev +62%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 16 oz can.

A: Pours a light orange color, minimal fizzy head with no retention or lace. Clear, no visible carbonation.

S: Hmmm, boozy, fruity smell, strange, but oddly nice. Cherry? A little funk in the nose as well. Aroma is solid throughout the course of the can.

T: Well, wow, much better than expected. Dark fruits and molasses. Alcohol is a bit too present, but I've had worse. Lot of spice on the finish.

M: Medium body, could use more carbonation, but not bad.

O: Well, I'll be. Picked it up on a whim to see how bad it is, and it turns out not to be. Honestly, I can see myself buying this again. Drinks more like a strong dopplebock than a malt liquor, although the appearance wouldn't tell you that.

04-28-2011 02:35:35 | More by AmericanGothic
twiggamortis420

1.75/5  rDev -17.8%

24 oz can with the disclaimer "Brewed with the finest extra malted barley and select hops for a bold smooth flavor". WTF is 'extra' malted barley? I am already gambling with myself on how much of this I can stomach. My pre-sip over under is set at 8 oz, a third of this outta get my stomach roiling...here goes nothin...

Pours a glowingly orange color with a fizzy tan head, this might actually glow under a blacklight.

Nose smells almost exactly like apple cider and everclear. Check that...green apple jolly ranchers bathed in grain alcohol. Ruh-roh!

Taste is very sweet and very much like a granny smith apple that has bobbed around in a trash-can punch concoction in the backyard of a college frat house for a few months. Are we sure there are no fruit flavored adjuncts here? I must say, it is somewhat smoother than I anticipated for a 12%'er, but damn, this tastes like an asian nail salon that doubles as a cider factory. I think I will go for the under on 8 oz. Its pretty nasty and not very beer-like. I might attempt to sip on this for a bit longer, but damn this shit is riz-ank!

04-08-2011 00:08:51 | More by twiggamortis420
BrewMaven

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Haven't had a new "beer" to review in a while so while out getting my daughter some ginger ale, I spotted this and was feeling a little daring..

Daring? Any beer that claims 12% abv and rings in at $1.39?! has to be an adventure in a 24oz can.

Pours a nice, clear deep gold and sports a stout 2" head..yeah the 12% made sure said head was gone in a flash..My senses were gone shortly after. It DID leave a ring which deposited some splotchy lace.

Smell was clearly green apple and somewhat grainy.

Taste is very sweet up front with a sometimes biting carbonation, (green apple!!!) obvious alcohol and getting sweet again on the finish. Mouthfeel (before your mouth goes numb) is just touching on medium..or, as I like to say, somewhat viscous.

Not really bad once you get past the first few swigs..The sheer strength of this brew clouds your sense of taste and judgement fairly quickly.

Really good choice to jump start an evening where you're hellbent on getting trashed without resorting to grain spirits!

3/29/2014 Update..New cans are rated 9.9% abv and the brew is MUCH more tolerable..actually not bad at all now!

01-20-2011 00:21:51 | More by BrewMaven
oregone

1.35/5  rDev -36.6%

Where to start?
Appearance: The appearance is a tarnished golden color with a creamy large bubbled head that disipates very quickly. Nothing unattractive here, but nothing beautiful. And sadly, nothing alarming. Points off for not being more of a deterent. This should come with a cracker jack toy in the bottom of a road worker with a STOP sign... but I'm getting ahead of myself...
Smell: Don't get me wrong, I lurve me some artificial fruit aromas, corn syrup/cough syrup and whiskey. But please, who wants a gasoline Jolly Rancher? Worst smell ever? No (I've ridden greyhound near the bathroom before). Dollarstore aftershave gone wrong? Check.
Taste: It took awhile to realize what I was tasting... Some vague memory from the past... Some unholy elixir once sampled in the bowels of debauchery... This tastes like a gawdawfull boilermaker! And upon further reflection, someone has taken my beloved whiskey and traded it for Southern Comfort! A sweet, nasty shot dropped into the most yuck-filled pint of domestic swill ever. Points for originality. It made me think (the antithesis of malt liquor I'd think).
Mouthfeel: I agree with one of the posts below: Flawed question. Except for the fact that your teeth are sticking to your gums from the residual sweetness, you can't really feel your mouth. Or, I'm told, anything else if you finish a pounder of this in short order. The tingly lip sensation ought to have a following though.
Drinkability: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Not if it were my last $1.50. Three sips and I'm done. Either all at once or not at all, and having seen the aftermath of all at once, I'd strongly recommend not at all. Bleh.
Summary: I wouldn't... don't know where else to take that so I'll leave it there: I wouldn't.

10-19-2010 21:38:40 | More by oregone
JMad

1.23/5  rDev -42.3%

From a 24 ounce can to a glass mug...
Pours a light copper orange color with a thin white head that left some lacing.
Smells like a metallic wet dog.
Taste consists of sweet malt, corn and alcohol.
Feels very thick.
I'll be honest I had to force this one down, it's the worst beer I've ever had.

09-25-2010 20:14:14 | More by JMad
harpus

Alabama

1.43/5  rDev -32.9%

A - Clear deep golden colored beer that manages to make a small white head.

A - Smells very fruity from the characteristic scent of beer brewed fast creating a lot of fusel alcohols. Corn smell is there but the fusels mostly dominate the scent.

T - Starts out quite sweet with an alcohol burn and the taste of raw ethanol. That is about it for taste, sweet and alcohol.

M - medium, alcohol doesn't quite dissolve everything.

D - if you can swallow it. Pretty much gives what you would expect, cheap ethanol delivery device wth too sweet of a taste. Not going to finish the glass though.

09-11-2010 04:10:39 | More by harpus
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.78/5  rDev +30.5%

From the 24 fl. oz. can 1161-2008. Sampled on September 6, 2010. This "craft" malt liquor pours a golden-yellow with a fizzy white head that dissolves to a thin ring. Like the macro malt liquors on the market this one bursts with the aroma of barley, grains, and malt. The taste adheres to the malt liquor style with an explosion of barley malts immersed in an obvious alcohol casing. But there is a slight sweetness that accompanies the sour. Not my kind of thing but hats off to the brewer for emulating the malt liquor tradition.

09-06-2010 22:05:17 | More by puboflyons
PatronWizard

1.25/5  rDev -41.3%

So I've had some of the best beers in the world in my day, but alas, I've fallen on hard fucking times. Long gone are the days of wonderful bottles of Abyss and Double Bastard. I've been subsisting for about a year now on Steel Reserve.

Granted, that is the swill of the swill, but where else can you get a buzz, a headache, and a guaranteed bowel movement for a dolla fitty? Nowhere I propose. I digress....

Appearance: Didn't even pour this bitch in a glass (I'm not naive), so appearance was .... minimal.

Smell: Took a woof and ... well, it stank.

Taste: I took a swig. Wow. Absolutely wretched. Taste gave me deja-vu of my wife removing finger nail polish. Straight acetone. Nasty. Like heating Elmer's Glue to triple point and taking a drink. Only it was cold.

Mouthfeel: an oxymoron as I can't feel my mouth.

Drinkability: only the extremely stupid or the extremely poor can finish a can of this shit. My can is empty; you decide.

Overall: wow, I'm half shitfaced and I'm a professional alcoholic. So glad I didn't buy two as the demon on my left shoulder suggested (the demon on my right shoulder wouldn't even look at this shit). AVOID LIKE AIDS!

08-28-2010 20:52:55 | More by PatronWizard
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

1.27/5  rDev -40.4%

24oz can into pint glass.

A- Golden yellow, a bit darker than expected. Fizzy.

S- Sweet sugary corn malts.

T- Way too sweet. Cooked vegetables and corn syrup. Gross. Strong alcohol presence.

M- Too high of an ABV to make this drinkable. As it warms it gets even worse.

D- Low, even for the style. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies. Stay away.

08-28-2010 14:19:47 | More by ShogoKawada
rootbeerman

1.48/5  rDev -30.5%

poured this into a pint glass

A: pours yellow with a light finger of quickly falling head.
S: smells like cooked greens mixed with fuel, vinegar, and a odd malt sweetness. obvious meant to be "enjoyed" from the can.
T: a weird chemical/fuel apple flavor. barely a malt flavor nor hop. the sting of alcohol is very noticeable
M: light crisp, the alcohol gives a drying effect. carbonation is medium to mild.
D: just a few sips it all i can muster to just type this up. this will probably be the last malt liquor for me for awhile.

08-18-2010 08:29:32 | More by rootbeerman
crankyguzzler

3.45/5  rDev +62%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To be honest, I was seriously mistaken in this purchase. Since I bought it at a store that sold high-end beer, at the same time I made a purchase of some Chimay Ale, I assumed that it was a quality product in a funky package. You know how some companies push the edge. I really don't look at price when I purchase individual bottles for tastings, but I was amazed that the Stack High Gravity Lager was one of the inexpensive ones. The cashier pointed out the high alcohol content - I dismissed it having recently read about BrewDog's greatly expensive highest alcohol content beers in Wired Magazine and seen their U-Toooob videos touting how they froze and extracted the beer to concentrate the alcohol and flavor... Sink the Bismark!!! Now admittedly, I had the Chimay first because I am somewhat enamored by those Belgian monks and their ales and cheeses - and this may have affected my taste buds somewhat. However, while the Stack is somewhat weaker in flavor, a cider-like poor cousin character and significantly thinner in appearance than the Chimay Red, I found it strangely acceptable. As with any beer above 5 abv, one begins to note the strong aroma and characteristics of a high alcohol brew. Would I like it as a stand alone, perhaps not. Would I have it again, perhaps not. However, I find that the F's and D's offered up by the BA community are also applied to some magnificent brews - Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale for instance. Give it a chance. In fact, if served to your friends after some fine Chimay Grand Reserve or Red ale, they might not notice you paid next to nothing for the 24 ouncer. It is what it is.

07-24-2010 04:21:35 | More by crankyguzzler
irishtimepiece

1.53/5  rDev -28.2%

I bought this along with a few six packs of craft beer at the same place I buy all my beer, so the cashier who knows me was a little confused.

Some fine beers have extra attention paid to the packaging, such as caged and corked bottles or wax dipped tops. This beer, too, was specially packaged. It was presented to me in a brown paper bag. The bag had a design drawn on it in pen, presumably by one of the beer store owners children who are frequently running amok in the place. Being that I couldn't read the label, I assumed that such a fine brew was can conditioned and thus carefully removed the paper bag in order to not disturb the fine layer of yeast sediment resting in the can.

My snifters are dirty, so poured this beer into a standard pint glass. I know, I know, my review can no longer be considered accurate without the proper glassware, but I'll do the best I can. Pours a deep gold with a fluffy white head that disappears in only moments.

The aroma is clean and cidery with only faint hints of rocket fuel.

Mmm, so good. Taste mildly sweet. It's defining flavor character, however, is the alcohol. So few breweries really capture the taste of pure ethanol. Well, not pure ethanol. I give them too little credit. I definitely detect faint and delectable notes of methanol and propanol, and maybe even *gasp* ISOpropanol. Leaves a warming sensation in the belly which is (seriously) not all that bad.

Mouthfeel is thick and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability. *sigh* If I make it through all 24oz I'll be crying. Tears of joy? Maybe. Tears from the volatile chemicals evaporating out and getting into my eyes? Definitely.

Seriously, I try to be objective. I've drank my fair share of malt liquor and this one started out average but hit the floor. It's like Organic Chemistry in a can. I keep waiting for that hot lab TA I had to kick open my door and make sure I put on safety goggles while drinking this, and then, you know, make out with me.

07-11-2010 05:45:24 | More by irishtimepiece