1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Stack High Gravity Lager - United Brands Company

Stack High Gravity LagerStack High Gravity Lager

awful

United Brands Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tone77 on 12-10-2009)

tdm168, Sep 06, 2013
1.55/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 24 oz. can into a pint glass. Appearance is a medium heavy yellow with white foam that dissipates rather quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

Odor is slightly lemony with a sourness. Kind of like the odor of a cheap lemon furniture polish. No hop smell, just malt and the leftover lemon smell.

Taste is not like a lager, which it says to be, but more of a malt liquor. Not crisp like a good lager, but has a sour taste with a lot of alcohol. Not smooth at all. No bitterness like an IPA or Pale Ale. Can't hardly even taste the malt.

Doesn't leave much on the palette. The front and sides of the tongue are somewhat in rebellion, but doesn't leave much mouthfeel one way or another.

So far, of the Malt Beverages I've tried this is the worst. On the positive side, if you are looking to get blind stupid drunk, you could ask for a better beer. Two of these would do it, but you would really be better off buying some cheap wine. This is the kind of beer you would use a brown paper back instead of a coozy. I may finish half of the glass I poured, but the rest of the glass and the can is going to be poured down the drain. I don't think the brewer was aiming to win any medals on this one, but just something cheap that you could get a buzz from and with this the brewer has succeeded.

JohnF51, Aug 26, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -18.2%

longisland1983, Aug 22, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -41.6%

MinorThreat, Aug 19, 2013
3.04/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I am comparing Stack against other malt liquors of it's type - high gravity "lagers." As such, it is one of the best in the pack -- highly alcoholic, cheap and drinkable. Compared to larger brands such as Colt 45 or Schlitz this is a much better experience. It's obviously not a good beer in comparison to all beers on the market, but it's a great cheap malt liquor.

It's not as smooth as Old English but it is almost there and has a higher alc/vol. If you are choosing something that is cheap and will get you drunk, I recommend this. If you are looking for a quality beer experience then obviously this is not a good choice.

Frobisher, Jul 17, 2013

Correction on the abv this is 9.9% abv unless they are selling the pictured 12% abv somewhere else in the country, I'm always excited to try the next horrible malt liquor release, I'm guessing this will get the straw-ber-rita flavor out of my mouth. Appears the color of apple juice, faint white head, smells a bit like peanuts and geriatric farts with a metallic twang. Guess what this beer is going to go over big with the college kids under two bucks and they will temporarily lose their vision. My god, what is that stuff, lord help the beer industry, why is this swill acceptable there's dead Mexicans and Unicorn tears in this beer at least that's what the label screams with the font with depicted unicorn wings taking you to heaven when you have your first near death experience going head to head with your frat brothers with this beer in a beer pong tournament. Alright can we finally sue somebody for false advertisement, I give Coors the benefit of the doubt I'm sure they really frost brew their products, especially if these guys are able to label it as a SMOOTH LAGER, unless smooth is a contraction as in this lager will make you say someone I'm missing a tooth (s'm'ooth), because the people of West Virginia (my hometown) state a championing a beer that will help them loos s'more teeth. I can't even take another sip, okay for the review and the fine people of West by God Virginia here it goes...rancid flavors that are making me poetic. I will finish by saying this apple juice looking malt liquor will rot some more teeth out it will definitely s'mooth you. Mouthfeel is similar to sever acid reflux that never goes away, not typical GERD which is caused by food and drink we expose ourselves to this is gut wrenching stomach acid like on the palate that feeling after you've puked in your mouth but caught it just in time. Overall I think I've lead you to my overall impression of this fine canned 24 ounce smooth lager with 9.9% alcohol by volume...drain pourIII

WVbeergeek, May 13, 2013

2.25/5  rDev +5.1%

BamfBacon, Feb 19, 2013

aaroncom2005, Dec 29, 2012

Huffs, Dec 28, 2012

I actually liked this beer. It is nice and thick and heavy. This stuff gets you messed up fast(10% abv), so be careful of driving after drinking a can. I paid $1.69 for a can(24oz) just to try it, and it was worth every penny. I have seen a lot of bad reviews elsewhere about this beer, but hey, it is BEER, and a LAGER at that, so what do you want??? In my opinion, you can't get a better beer for the money. You may be able to find better beer, but NOT at $1.69 for a 24oz can...cheers!

illuminutteh, Dec 19, 2012

jslice99, Nov 11, 2012
3.33/5  rDev +55.6%

This Beer is 9.9 ABV, in my area, its low price point is why its a top seller in this catagory, here in the Mt. Hood region.
The appearance is light Gold, lose's its head within two minutes.
The smell, is of green Apple's.
The taste is of Corn, a very sweet flavor with the hint of molasses for sweeteness. This is not a high quality Beer, its not as bad as other's in this group.
The flavor is a, full tongue burn, front, middle and back, very steady and over whelming alcohol flavor.
This is not designed, to be a high priced flavored, Beer. This is a Beer designed to be an affordable way to catch a buzz, keep that in mind.

Seven, Nov 10, 2012
1.33/5  rDev -37.9%

I did a video of this for Youtube last week 24oz x 2 into a 52 oz plastic Coors Light pitcher (mistake)

10.1% variant offered here in Durham NC

24 oz can - $1.79

When i raised said pitcher to my lips i was met with a foul stench that smelled like roadkill and kerosene and i actually almost vomited before i took the first sip...

it does taste better than it smells but thats not saying much....its only drinkable with snacks...i had to resort to eating a hot dog bun and drinking heinz ketchup to kill the foul taste from my mouth as i was drinking it....about 30+ ounces into it...it finally became drinkable because i was starting to catch a serious buzz and i didnt care anymore....my wife was filming me and she was nauseated by the smell of it...and she was 6 feet away.

Ive had the 12.0% before a couple of years ago and it was actually better....i dont know where the 10.1 went wrong....

avoid at all costs

netrioter, Jul 20, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -5.1%

I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. But hey, I love reviewing beers.

Drank straight out of the tallboy can. I can just imagine some douchebag in an Ed Hardy tshirt and hat slamming this. The can matches that motif perfectly.

Smell is noticeable even from a distance. Has that distinct smell of a nightclub - red bull and vodka on top of bud light and sweat. Sweet and sour.

Holy god, this is sweetened or something. Bitterness and alcohol poorly covered up by some sort of malt flavoring. Really awful and fake tasting. No smoothness about it. Each new sip is a shock to the system. So time to chug. No that's not exactly possible either, as it's so distasteful that it activates the gag reflex.

Man, this is really bad - just a vehicle to deliver 12% straight to the dome. I'd rather pay 8 more dollars for a bottle of a really satisfying 12% beer and enjoy it. But then again, the two worlds in which these occur hardly ever meet.

BucBasil, Jun 02, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -4.2%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: dark gold, much like a borderline amber. Head is white rose roughly a 1/4" off the body.

Smell: really smells like alcohol and raw hops.

Taste: high alcohol, I mean seriously, you taste rolling off your taste buds. Hops but light and slightly bitter.

Mouth: light to medium carbonation, little flat if you ask me.

Overall: this beer has one purpose, get you drunk for cheap. It is described as a smooth lager, maybe of your idea of smooth is like a thumbtack on the bottom of your foot. Salud!

BlurryVisi0n, May 17, 2012

Kips, Apr 30, 2012

"1161 1312" inkjet on bottom of the can.

Dull orange gold color, murky pondwater haze, weird floating plankton sediment hanging in suspension with a steady column of rising carbonation in the center. Foam instantly fizzles out, audibly sizzling, leaving a thin floating scab in the center.

Smells like green apple jolly ranchers, grape juice, and bum wine.

Tastes like cheap wine, grainy apple, cheap booze. Numbing alcohol deadens the palate after a couple sips. Gassy, sweet, and astringent, harsh and unpleasant to say the least. Green apple aftertaste dries out the mouth like a shot of liquor, with a similar boozy aftertaste. A messy and harsh cheap buzz. Not worth the headache that starts in almost immediately after a few sips.

emerge077, Dec 04, 2011
3.4/5  rDev +58.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to joshuaseresse for this gem. Split with Jason after enjoying Boobs of Khan: A Star Trek Burlesque. Served in a Darkness glass.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thin collar and tiny spots of lace. Slightly hazed orange peach body.

S - The aroma is initially quite understated, although as it warms up there is some grain and strawberry sweetness, as well as a mild sharp fusel alcohol note. Pretty tame for the listed 12% ABV.

T - The taste is actually a bit better, with some sugar sweetness, white grapes, and neutral grain character. Alcohol is well-hidden and finish is pretty smooth.

M - Medium grainy body, medium-high carbonation, low alcohol warmth. Very smooth stuff.

D - I was actually a bit pissed off when Jason poured out the can remnants before I could refill my glass, although in retrospect he was probably doing me a favor. Still, for a 12% high-gravity lager, this one can't be beat. Shockingly drinkable and inoffensive - gonna have to seek this one out again to share with the BAs who missed out.

MasterSki, Sep 10, 2011
1.58/5  rDev -26.2%

The colour was an orange amber and it had a tiny head that left minimal lacing.
The smell was of green apples, like a whole barrel of green apples.
The taste was of green apples, booziness, and just a hint of corn syrup. It was possible at first to just enjoy the bitter booziness of it, but it got increasingly cloying over time until it just tasted medicinal and nasty. Long before I finished the 24 oz. can, which is the only size I've ever seen it in. Avoid this. It's bad.

Update:
Seems they've been reformulating this beer recently. The previous review was for the 12% version. This is for the 9.9% version (I've still never seen the 10.1% version, the one currently advertised on their website).

I guess they decided to reformulate this in an attempt to make it taste more like beer. It smells like corn, corn husk, and metal, which is a lot more like beer than their previous concoction, which smelled like a barrel of green apples preserved in an alcohol-corn syrup solution.

The pour is typical lager-gold with a small white head. It's a little on the brown side, but very gold.
The taste is a huge improvement, so I'm going to alter my scores accordingly. It still has some of the characteristics it previously had: like the thinness and primarily sugar-alcohol taste. But the green apples are mostly gone; replaced with corn as the smell suggested. It's still a bit green apply, but nothing like the 12% version. It still leaves your mouth sorta dry, as another reviewer mentioned. They basically just took it down a notch. Tastes more like a typical HG malt liquor and a little less like "WTF?" I'd have to say it's decent...for what it is. I may even buy it again. If I get sick of Natty Daddy.

ElCommodoro, Sep 01, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +61.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 16 oz can.

A: Pours a light orange color, minimal fizzy head with no retention or lace. Clear, no visible carbonation.

S: Hmmm, boozy, fruity smell, strange, but oddly nice. Cherry? A little funk in the nose as well. Aroma is solid throughout the course of the can.

T: Well, wow, much better than expected. Dark fruits and molasses. Alcohol is a bit too present, but I've had worse. Lot of spice on the finish.

M: Medium body, could use more carbonation, but not bad.

O: Well, I'll be. Picked it up on a whim to see how bad it is, and it turns out not to be. Honestly, I can see myself buying this again. Drinks more like a strong dopplebock than a malt liquor, although the appearance wouldn't tell you that.

AmericanGothic, Apr 28, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -18.2%

24 oz can with the disclaimer "Brewed with the finest extra malted barley and select hops for a bold smooth flavor". WTF is 'extra' malted barley? I am already gambling with myself on how much of this I can stomach. My pre-sip over under is set at 8 oz, a third of this outta get my stomach roiling...here goes nothin...

Pours a glowingly orange color with a fizzy tan head, this might actually glow under a blacklight.

Nose smells almost exactly like apple cider and everclear. Check that...green apple jolly ranchers bathed in grain alcohol. Ruh-roh!

Taste is very sweet and very much like a granny smith apple that has bobbed around in a trash-can punch concoction in the backyard of a college frat house for a few months. Are we sure there are no fruit flavored adjuncts here? I must say, it is somewhat smoother than I anticipated for a 12%'er, but damn, this tastes like an asian nail salon that doubles as a cider factory. I think I will go for the under on 8 oz. Its pretty nasty and not very beer-like. I might attempt to sip on this for a bit longer, but damn this shit is riz-ank!

twiggamortis420, Apr 08, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Haven't had a new "beer" to review in a while so while out getting my daughter some ginger ale, I spotted this and was feeling a little daring..

Daring? Any beer that claims 12% abv and rings in at $1.39?! has to be an adventure in a 24oz can.

Pours a nice, clear deep gold and sports a stout 2" head..yeah the 12% made sure said head was gone in a flash..My senses were gone shortly after. It DID leave a ring which deposited some splotchy lace.

Smell was clearly green apple and somewhat grainy.

Taste is very sweet up front with a sometimes biting carbonation, (green apple!!!) obvious alcohol and getting sweet again on the finish. Mouthfeel (before your mouth goes numb) is just touching on medium..or, as I like to say, somewhat viscous.

Not really bad once you get past the first few swigs..The sheer strength of this brew clouds your sense of taste and judgement fairly quickly.

Really good choice to jump start an evening where you're hellbent on getting trashed without resorting to grain spirits!

3/29/2014 Update..New cans are rated 9.9% abv and the brew is MUCH more tolerable..actually not bad at all now!

BrewMaven, Jan 20, 2011
1.18/5  rDev -44.9%

I went out on a limb and picked up a few cans of this stuff to share with some buddies. I thought it was some kind of alcoholic energy drink at first. It does not look like beer from the outside. Upon further inspection I realized it was indeed beer, or should I say supposedly beer. 12% abv at that. I figured it couldn't be any worse than some of the 40's I've had in my day so I'd give it a shot, kind of as a novelty. Before we cracked them I said the words that sealed my fate, "How bad can it be?" This angered the beer gods, and I was quickly reminded by my friend not to make such inflammatory remarks. In short, the beer gods rose to the occasion and made this quite possibly the worst beer I've ever tasted. Hell, it might be the worst edible substance I've ever put in my mouth. It's like shitty moonshine mixed with battery acid and cut with club soda. Or more likely an abortion of an energy drink topped off with grain alcohol. Every sip made me cringe and cough. If I'm being nice, the best I can say is that it tasted like rusty champagne. But don't let that fool you, you'd rather drink whatever a bartender wrings out of his towel at the end of the night than take on the Stack. It has a very unique flavor of Froot Loops and vomit. The feeling you get when you drink it makes you question if life is even worth living. It feels horrible going down and leaves your stomach howling upon contact. You will need to drink a quart of Listerine after this, and not the nice minty green one, I'm talking the old school yellow one where "antiseptic" is actually the flavor. Stay away from this at all costs. Or if you think you're up to the task drink a whole can and you will have such an extreme point of relativity that everything else you ever eat or drink will seem like the most awesomely delicious thing you've ever tasted.

BeefyMee, Oct 22, 2010