1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stack High Gravity Lager - United Brands Company

Stack High Gravity LagerStack High Gravity Lager

awful

United Brands Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tone77 on 12-10-2009)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 49 | Reviews: 36 | Show All Ratings:
womencantsail

3.5/5  rDev +64.3%

A tall can generously shared by Bobby at a tasting.

A: The pour is a crystal clear pale golden color with an initially fluffy white head.

S: The nose is sweet and almost corn syrup like, but not the usually offensive aromas of malt liquor.

T: Like the nose before it, this one is surprisingly decent. I found the sweetness of this beer to be almost like apple juice.

M: The body is obviously lacking in this one, but not to the extent of many other malt liquors. The finish is crisp and actually moderately refreshing.

D: This is easily the best malt liquor that I've had. While it is very sweet, I found it to be lacking in the usually bad traits of malt liquors. If you're ballin' on a budget, this one might be for you.

02-08-2010 19:41:46 | More by womencantsail
woodychandler

1.8/5  rDev -15.5%

Simply put, the CANQuest continues in its infamous march. CAN you dig it?

Whoa, hoss! I could smell this bad boy as I poured it into a glass. Green apples, all the way. Phew! I did not get much head off of the pour and what existed quickly reduced to wisps. Props on color, though. It was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was hot, I could feel the alcohol burn on my tongue and when I swallowed, it felt cool from the evaporation. Man, they really jacked up the alcohol on this bad boy. Finish was lingering with an alcohol burn. There is no way I could justify recommending this as a beer except to add another casualty to the CANQuest.

01-18-2010 21:57:43 | More by woodychandler
DrDoitchbig

1.02/5  rDev -52.1%

I saw this at the party store around the corner from my house and having never seen it before or any other straight malt liquor that's 12% ABV I had to give it a shot. As they say curiosity killed the cat.

Appearance: Crystal clear straw yellow, the traditional malt liquor fare. Overly aggressive pour yields a strong two fingers of head that is white as can be. Gone in a flash leaving just enough behind for some minor lacing.

Smell: Disturbingly sweet, grainy and absolutely teeming with fusel alcohol. You know that kind of shiver you get after you take a shot of low quality liquor? That's what happened just now when I took a sniff off this one.

Taste: I thought the smell was bad. There are two aspects to this. First you have a repulsive cloying sweetness. It's truly quite awful and may be the worst I've ever experienced in any beer including other malt liquor. Second, and this was more expected, is the high presence of the booze. These two tastes play off each other to create a perfect storm of awful.

Mouthfeel: There is nothing here. Thin like water and over carbonated. Dear god I can taste the alcohol on my lips!

Drinkability: I've basically sworn to myself that I will not drain pour a beer, but this is pushing my limits. This stuff makes Steel Reserve look like Black Tuesday. This beer needs a chaser.

I'm sorry to come out and just bash a beer, but I figured as long as I was subjecting myself to this beer I would write a review. It just really is that bad.

01-08-2010 02:28:36 | More by DrDoitchbig
Zorro

2.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Might say United Brands but this was brewed in La Crosse Wisconsin so you can guess who really brewed it.

Clear deep golden colored beer that manages to make a small white head.

Smells very fruity from the characteristic scent of beer brewed fast creating a lot of fusel alcohols. Corn smell is there but the fusels mostly dominate the scent.

Starts out quite sweet with an alcohol burn and the taste of raw ethanol. That is about it for taste, sweet and alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium, alcohol doesn't quite dissolve everything.

Drinkable as in you can swallow it. Pretty much gives what you would expect, cheap ethanol delivery device. Not going to finish the glass though.

12-20-2009 22:16:10 | More by Zorro
tone77

2.65/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mostly of alcohol, some malts and slightly sweet. Taste starts of sweet and finishes with alcohol. Did someone drop a shot in my beer? Feels light in the mouth. This is definatly not a session beer, 1 of these cans was plenty for me. Overall if you are looking to get slam faced cheap, this one is the way to go. Otherwise avoid it.

12-10-2009 14:47:50 | More by tone77
BeefyMee

Connecticut

1.18/5  rDev -44.6%

I went out on a limb and picked up a few cans of this stuff to share with some buddies. I thought it was some kind of alcoholic energy drink at first. It does not look like beer from the outside. Upon further inspection I realized it was indeed beer, or should I say supposedly beer. 12% abv at that. I figured it couldn't be any worse than some of the 40's I've had in my day so I'd give it a shot, kind of as a novelty. Before we cracked them I said the words that sealed my fate, "How bad can it be?" This angered the beer gods, and I was quickly reminded by my friend not to make such inflammatory remarks. In short, the beer gods rose to the occasion and made this quite possibly the worst beer I've ever tasted. Hell, it might be the worst edible substance I've ever put in my mouth. It's like shitty moonshine mixed with battery acid and cut with club soda. Or more likely an abortion of an energy drink topped off with grain alcohol. Every sip made me cringe and cough. If I'm being nice, the best I can say is that it tasted like rusty champagne. But don't let that fool you, you'd rather drink whatever a bartender wrings out of his towel at the end of the night than take on the Stack. It has a very unique flavor of Froot Loops and vomit. The feeling you get when you drink it makes you question if life is even worth living. It feels horrible going down and leaves your stomach howling upon contact. You will need to drink a quart of Listerine after this, and not the nice minty green one, I'm talking the old school yellow one where "antiseptic" is actually the flavor. Stay away from this at all costs. Or if you think you're up to the task drink a whole can and you will have such an extreme point of relativity that everything else you ever eat or drink will seem like the most awesomely delicious thing you've ever tasted.

10-22-2010 00:33:28 | More by BeefyMee