Hop Knot - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

pDev: 11%
Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Knot Alström Bros

4.92/5  rDev +23%

Appearance - Clear, bronze color with an inch thich white head. Very nice lacing.

Smell - Huge floral, spicy, herbal, green, fresh hop aroma. Dominate Cascade and Fuggle hop profile shinning through. This is how I want an Pale Ale to smell. Borderline IPA. Fantastic, intoxicating aroma.

Taste - Nearly as perfect. Quite possible my favorite Pale Ale ever. Like the aroma, huge floral, green, spicy hop flavors with a solid malt base that balances the hops perfectly.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean finish. Lovely hop flavor with minimal residual bitterness. Fantastic.

Drinkability - Fab-u-lous! I wish this was local and I could have it when ever I wanted.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

A- clear golden straw, freakin' huge fluffy off white head, lace on glass, and head retent is feels like an eternity(which is alright cause its such a pretty beer to look at)

S- strong fruity citrus aroma (orange maybe), grainy scent as well but fairly faint

T- bitter-sour-slight sweet grain flavor is awesome. sweet scent is much more than sweet taste. Sweetness is their faintly but is more easily noticed afterwords.

M- thinner than i remember, though im sure the fact that is comes from a growler has something to do with that. Really silky smooth though.

D- this is an amazing pale ale. Well made brew. Wish they bottled this stuff so i could get it all the time. Amazing stuff.

4.74/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer is my ideal IPA. A Hoppy, American IPA. Not too bitter so its accessible to non-hop heads. It is a bit sweet, but not overpoweringly. Just balanced and has that lovely pine aroma as you draw your first sip.

There is no better beer on a cold day.

4.69/5  rDev +17.3%

I just bought my first case of the newly-bottled stuff, and I wasn't planning on reviewing it again, but this is worthy. It's even better out of the bottle than the on-tap serving I had in Tempe last month. The color is a deep, rich yellow, quarter inch of white head. Smells intensely of piney hops. One of the greatest aromas I've ever experienced from a beer. Tastes of citrus, with some grapefruit and maybe a bit of orange in there, but not the overwhelming bitterness you get sometimes. Carbonation is right on the money. One of the most drinakble IPA's I've had. I had Pliney the Elder on tap in San Diego this past summer, and for my money, this is actually a tad better when it's this fresh. Nice job, Four Peaks!

4.69/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a golden honey color with a white head that dissipates pretty quick but remains an oily film across the top. Smells of HUGE hops, green, bitter, fresh, pine-y hops. I felt like i just laid down face first in a barrel of hop flowers. Taste is well, HOPS. It is loaded with pine-y, green hops that are oily and mouthcoating, but surprisingly not as bitter I as expected. It seems you can add a TON of hops without getting too much bitterness!

These are now being bottled, only available at the brewery for now, and at only 36.50 a case it is, by far, the best bottled beer made in arizona. I am happy this is FINALLY in the bottle. I plan on keeping a steady supply in my fridge. IMHO this can compete with the "big boys" around the country and at around 1.50 a bottle I suddenly dont feel the need to seek out other stuff from around the country.. this is my new "go to" IPA!

4.69/5  rDev +17.3%

On tap, it arrived at our table glowing a clear golden-copper amber and held a finger-thick off-white head that filled what little space was available above the beer (my only complaint, really, but technically I got more beer). The head was fueled by multiple steady streams of carbonation that lasted throughout the drink and provided ample support to the amazing sheets of sticky lacing that graced the glass while I sipped on it. Awesome head retention and lacing? A great way to start a beer off, in my opinion.

I held my nose over the brew and caught huge whiffs of orange peel and grapefruit zest, pine needle hops, and some faint grassy-malt sweetness underneath. The lively bitterness almost made it seem fizzy in my nose, but it was a welcome vivacity from an IPA and was very reminiscent of summer.

Eager to bathe my taste buds in the hoppy glory that was emanating from the Hop Knot, I first had to get over how super quaffable the brew was. This is some seriously smooth beer. It flooded my mouth with just enough piney, resiny hops, orange peel and grapefruit zest without overwhelming my senses. It was freshly bitter and bright without too much bite thanks to the lightly caramel sweet malts that made a quick appearance before the grand finale. Throughout the drink, the bitterness briskly jigged with the finely-bubbled peppy carbonation, creating a lighter mouthfeel (among a medium body) and leaving my tongue feeling awake and refreshed. And despite all of the happy hops jumping around between my cheeks, the ending was nice and smooth with a clean aftertaste.

4.68/5  rDev +17%