Hop Knot - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Hop KnotHop Knot

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Knot Alström Bros
4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance - Clear, bronze color with an inch thich white head. Very nice lacing.

Smell - Huge floral, spicy, herbal, green, fresh hop aroma. Dominate Cascade and Fuggle hop profile shinning through. This is how I want an Pale Ale to smell. Borderline IPA. Fantastic, intoxicating aroma.

Taste - Nearly as perfect. Quite possible my favorite Pale Ale ever. Like the aroma, huge floral, green, spicy hop flavors with a solid malt base that balances the hops perfectly.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean finish. Lovely hop flavor with minimal residual bitterness. Fantastic.

Drinkability - Fab-u-lous! I wish this was local and I could have it when ever I wanted. (664 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Definitely a great looking and great tasting IPA. Four Peaks is a great brewery and this beer is an excellent example of their prowess. Taste is balanced between hops and wheat nearly like a white IPA but not quite. It's just robust enough to let you know it's an IPA but it's gentle enough to enjoy time and time again. Outstanding, really and I highly recommend it (367 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

A- clear golden straw, freakin' huge fluffy off white head, lace on glass, and head retent is feels like an eternity(which is alright cause its such a pretty beer to look at)

S- strong fruity citrus aroma (orange maybe), grainy scent as well but fairly faint

T- bitter-sour-slight sweet grain flavor is awesome. sweet scent is much more than sweet taste. Sweetness is their faintly but is more easily noticed afterwords.

M- thinner than i remember, though im sure the fact that is comes from a growler has something to do with that. Really silky smooth though.

D- this is an amazing pale ale. Well made brew. Wish they bottled this stuff so i could get it all the time. Amazing stuff. (697 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer is my ideal IPA. A Hoppy, American IPA. Not too bitter so its accessible to non-hop heads. It is a bit sweet, but not overpoweringly. Just balanced and has that lovely pine aroma as you draw your first sip.

There is no better beer on a cold day. (256 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

I just bought my first case of the newly-bottled stuff, and I wasn't planning on reviewing it again, but this is worthy. It's even better out of the bottle than the on-tap serving I had in Tempe last month. The color is a deep, rich yellow, quarter inch of white head. Smells intensely of piney hops. One of the greatest aromas I've ever experienced from a beer. Tastes of citrus, with some grapefruit and maybe a bit of orange in there, but not the overwhelming bitterness you get sometimes. Carbonation is right on the money. One of the most drinakble IPA's I've had. I had Pliney the Elder on tap in San Diego this past summer, and for my money, this is actually a tad better when it's this fresh. Nice job, Four Peaks! (722 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a golden honey color with a white head that dissipates pretty quick but remains an oily film across the top. Smells of HUGE hops, green, bitter, fresh, pine-y hops. I felt like i just laid down face first in a barrel of hop flowers. Taste is well, HOPS. It is loaded with pine-y, green hops that are oily and mouthcoating, but surprisingly not as bitter I as expected. It seems you can add a TON of hops without getting too much bitterness!

These are now being bottled, only available at the brewery for now, and at only 36.50 a case it is, by far, the best bottled beer made in arizona. I am happy this is FINALLY in the bottle. I plan on keeping a steady supply in my fridge. IMHO this can compete with the "big boys" around the country and at around 1.50 a bottle I suddenly dont feel the need to seek out other stuff from around the country.. this is my new "go to" IPA! (882 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

On tap, it arrived at our table glowing a clear golden-copper amber and held a finger-thick off-white head that filled what little space was available above the beer (my only complaint, really, but technically I got more beer). The head was fueled by multiple steady streams of carbonation that lasted throughout the drink and provided ample support to the amazing sheets of sticky lacing that graced the glass while I sipped on it. Awesome head retention and lacing? A great way to start a beer off, in my opinion.

I held my nose over the brew and caught huge whiffs of orange peel and grapefruit zest, pine needle hops, and some faint grassy-malt sweetness underneath. The lively bitterness almost made it seem fizzy in my nose, but it was a welcome vivacity from an IPA and was very reminiscent of summer.

Eager to bathe my taste buds in the hoppy glory that was emanating from the Hop Knot, I first had to get over how super quaffable the brew was. This is some seriously smooth beer. It flooded my mouth with just enough piney, resiny hops, orange peel and grapefruit zest without overwhelming my senses. It was freshly bitter and bright without too much bite thanks to the lightly caramel sweet malts that made a quick appearance before the grand finale. Throughout the drink, the bitterness briskly jigged with the finely-bubbled peppy carbonation, creating a lighter mouthfeel (among a medium body) and leaving my tongue feeling awake and refreshed. And despite all of the happy hops jumping around between my cheeks, the ending was nice and smooth with a clean aftertaste. (1,583 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

A pint draft pour.

Clear golden with no noticeable carbonation or head. It has a noticeable aldehyde/hopped aroma. You get a definite hop punch in the first sip, but not so much so that it overwhelms the senses. Medium body with a bitter finish. Overall, a very drinkable beer. A nice balance between the hops and alcohol. Not over the top hoppy, but hopped enough to satisfy hop-heads such as myself. (402 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Had on tap at four peaks and was so good I decided to get a growler. Pours with a decent sized head that leaves lacing in the glass.

Smells strongly of citrusy AND piney hops. Very nice. A subtle malt sweetness comes through.

The taste is exceptional for an IPA. All of the hop flavor with none of the bitterness. Upfront with a citrusy fruity malt flavor followed by a piney hop finish with no bitterness. Goes down easy, and perhaps the only flaw of the beer is the over carbonation.

Overall, a great beer period. If you ever come to AZ, you should get it. (561 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Two 12oz bottles courtesy of the Arizona legend Tayner.

One of those bottles poured into a Four Peaks pint glass. Man I love branded glassware.

Smell, Wow. Big citrus hops with piney hops thrown into the mix.

Taste, is there malt in this brew? Big citrus and piney hops dominate. A firm malt backbone though keeps this beer in check. Aromatic and Crystal malt keeps this beer balanced and lends mucho complexity. Very forthright hop presence keeps smacking my taste buds around, while the sweet malt tries in vain to reign them in.

Overall, I don't know how to sum this up. Big citrus hops combined with a firm malt backbone. Pliny? Dreadnaught? Leatherlips? I'm sorry, but for the ABV you don't stand a chance. I'm adding this as a permanent "Wants". Wow is all I can say. Kudos to the brewers for masking such awesome hop presence.

I have a new favorite IPA. Sorry Leatherlips and Finest Kind IPA. (906 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hop Knot 4.5 across all categories

Light copper in color, nice clarity and lace.
Excellent floral hop aromas with appropriatte malt and caramel malt dash of sweet support. Tastes as it smells with some dark citrus fruit notes.
Very enjoyable IPA, best Four Peaks offering in my opinion. Reminds me of a cross between a lighter more flavorful SN Torpedo. I had this at the brewery and restuarant and it really grew on me. Nice work on this one Four Peaks.

FYI...8th st pale and hop knot are the best to style. (510 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Similar to any other IPA, great. Great lacing. Full thick head.

S: hops up front, sweet, citrus, much sweeter than on-tap.

T: It is one of my favorite beers. Bitter enough. Sweet finish. Pine and citrus tones.

M: Not thick not watery. Smoother out less bite than tap.

D: You reach for your glass and its empty, happened to me ALL the time. (348 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

This one surprised me! They put the glass in front of me, and I saw a pretty average, golden, slightly cloudy beer, with just a bit of head, but it did hold a while, and had some pretty nice lacing. Then I put it to my nose, and got punched in face! The hops dominated!! The taste was pretty much what you would expect from the aroma! This was like chewying on hops! Loved it!!! I would swim in this stuff! (406 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

Bought the newly produced cans on Saturday the 21st, so about a week ago. That was the release date so you know it's nice and fresh. Wish they had some kind of dating on the cans though. Poured into a regular old pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice light golden clear color with about a finger's worth of white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Head diminishes to a nice light film over top with a few bubbles here and there.

Smell - Literally the first thing that comes to mind is DANK! Another descriptor would be oily/resiny! There's a good reason for this description as hops (Humulus lupulus) are in the same family (Cannabaceae) as marijuana (Cannabis sativa). I just don't understand it, but I love this smell (can't lie, I've smelled weed and love that smell too). Just something about it. Anyways you also get that nice floral and citrusy IPA smell. It's got a good amount of tropical/grapefruit and citrus to it and some sweetness smell as well. Seems like everytime I have this, I end up with a nose full of foam because I can't help but keep sticking my nose in it again and again! Grassy smell is in there a bit also, but they use like 7 different kinds of hops. Not surprising. I could literally bathe in that smell. If someone made a cologne that smelled like this, I'd probably never be without it. This is probably the epitome of what I think an IPA should smell like. I love it.

Taste - Seems like the taste is just what you'd expect from the smell. There's citrus goodness, like orange and some other light citrus, with some tropical fruit and herbal notes. Burps bring out the best of it, and some pine. Also the malt bill is there enough to be nice and balanced and make it not too bitter or biting and give it some bready or biscuity notes. This is a strong IPA but seems pretty well balanced as well, if that makes sense. Taste is very good, but not quite amazing. Probably a 4.5 out of 5.0.

Mouthfeel - Feels great. Nice and light medium bodied for an IPA, with a crispness and carbonation level a bit above creamy, probably medium carbonation. Basically very drinkable. And at 6.7% ABV, it's something I can drink a 64 oz growler of over the course of 3-4 hours. It's just that good and drinkable. Finish is lighter but not on the dry side. Leaves my palate wet with anticipation of the next sip every damn time.

Overall - Sometimes I really hate living in Arizona. The heat drives me crazy, I can't stand it. But as long as I'm here and Four Peaks is too, my go-to local beer will be Hop Knot and it makes living here pretty worthwhile. I've got a few Four Peaks growlers, one of which is designated for nothing but Hop Knot. And it gets used fairly often. The fact that cans will now be readily available kind of leaves my growler feeling threatened. But you know you really can't beat the freshness of a straight from the tap growler fill on the weekend. Basically, if you're in the valley and enjoy IPAs, this brew is NOT TO BE MISSED! 4.5 out of 5.0! (2,983 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Had this at Magpies Pizza in 4th Street in Tucson

Poured golden/bronze with 1 finger of pearl white head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Nice citrus & pine hops with some breadyness once warm

T: Grapefruitty, peppery & pine hops plus a kiss of honey malt up front. Breadyness mingles with nice piney hops as this warms. Finishes crisp & moreish, almost pulled a 5.0

MF: Medium bodied with lively carbonation that makes the hops pop. Great balance as well

Probably the best beer I had in AZ, one to quaff, despite the ABV (526 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Aroma smells strongly of citrus. Grapefruit is the dominating taste coming from the copious amounts of flavor hops. Bitterness is bellow average for an IPA. Mouthfeel is light to medium. I enjoyed the beer immensely and see this as being interchangeable with Hopslam. (267 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Cask @ Four Peaks in Tempe, AZ.

A - A bit darker than the traditional brew, with nice shades of amber and red. A great, fluffy, off-white head that is typical of cask ales.

S - Much more floral and fruity. Hops shine here.

T - Where the original can be a bit too dry and lack a certain hop bite, this brew hits a great cask IPA on the head. Fruity, floral, delicious hops with a good malty backbone.

M - Incredibly smooth, creamy, and the perfect temperature. Goes down way too easily.

O - A must try for all fans of Hop Knot. (531 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

I had this on draft a few times while visiting Sedona. This has to be one of the best IPA's I've had in a long time. Everything about it screamed IPA. The hops were so present, i wish I saw it more often while i was here.

The color is a slightly cloudy gold, a little on the light side with a decent amount of carbonation. The aroma, as I said, screamed hops in a very refreshing way. The flavor, again, had a great hop character...maybe a little out of balance but who cares. If you want an IPA and want there to be no doubt that that's what you're drinking, this is the IPA for you. I wish I came across IPA's this good more often. (634 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Pale yellow-orange with some nice lacing around the top rim of my pint glass.

S: Citrius and very heavy pine presence. I detected nearly no malt in the aroma.

T: Very intense first sip, with nice hop resin flavors and pine. Just a hint of malt sweetness.

M: Crisp and bubbly, just as you would expect.

D: There's nothing quite like a fresh, well-made IPA on tap. I can't imagine drinking this out of the bottle, bit if you ever get a chance to try it in-house, don't pass it up. (486 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draft at the Tempe brewery
A- Clear golden hue, big thick white head, thick lacing on the glass
S- Moderate pine resin balanced with sweet grapefruit and bubblegum
T- Sweet citrus and grapefruit dominate initially, opens up to subtle pine and floral hops, finishes with a touch of sweet and bitter hops
M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, moderate carbonation
D- Deliciously sweet IPA, easy drinking and well-balanced, this is a very delicious beer that was one of my favorites while living in Phoenix (502 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A- Clear Golden with a sudsy head.

S- Citrus and Floral hops exploding all over.

T- This beer is intense first sip. Just a crazy wonderful mix of hops. Spicy, bitter and citrus all dominating. The aftertaste is nice and will leave your mouthwatering.

M- Spicy & carbonated, light bodied.

D- I can't explain how awesome this beer is. At 6% it's got nut, but you can still pound them. (387 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Enjoyed this beer at Pizza Bianco's sister bar while we waited an hour and 45 minutes for a table. I am very happy that we had the long wait and that I had the opportunity to have a couple of pints.

Just an excellent beer.

The head on each glass was rather diminutive and measured less than a finger in thickness. The head was fairly and while small did show nice retention. Some decent lacing formed and there was no visible carbonation.

Color was at the line between golden amber and orange amber.

Aroma was fantastic. Very strong floral/perfume aroma with strong citrus notes and a spicy/peppery tone. I also smelled and later tasted a slight hint of mint.

Taste was really fantastic and exceedingly fresh. Nice burst of bright hop bitterness up front. Grapefruit and peppery notes. Again I got the sense of mint. I am not saying it tasted like a mint beer, but I think this was a part of the spicy notes. In the background was a nice bread like flavor that balanced the assertive hop flavor. This was an assertive APA and in some ways could be considered an IPA. Just a wonderful beer.

Mouth feel was fairly light in body and the carbonation kept the sensation very bright.

Very very drinkable. Quaffable dare I say.

I look forward to waiting for a table at Pizza Bianco again. I'll BE BACK!

Excellent Beer. (1,320 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with an inch of foam that leaves a few shards of lace behind

Smell: Floral and citrusy with pink grapefruit aromatics

Taste: A touch bready up front and then the hops take over, bringing the floral grapefruit flavors detected in the aroma; the malt stays in the background throughout, though there is just a touch of caramel in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate but crisp carbonation

Overall: Wow, this is an "under the radar" IPA that is just as good as the more notable examples of the style

Thanks, mikedR (from the other site), for the opportunity (609 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%

Hop Knot looks like the only thing it's entangled was sunlight; a brilliantly bright golden colour practically leaps out of the glass, even against the light of a completely overcast sky. The perfectly clear beer shows just a hint of carbonation, with few visible bubbles and not much by of head. Certainly no lacing ever take shape.

American IPAs are all about hops and this one must have more Cascade and Liberty and Simcoe in its little finger than some do in their entire body. I could smell the citric juices right from the pour, without even having to hold the glass to my nose. I'm surprised the neighbor across the street hasn't commented on smelling them yet.

My first sip reminded me of exactly what I love about this style: the flavour of toasty malt covered in citrus-y hop resins. It may be an acquired taste, but once one does acquire it there's simply no going back to lesser flavourful things. The tastes of cantaloupe, lemon, lychee and grapefruit are too delicious not to include in an IPA recipe.

Hop Knot is indeed a hop-dominated experience as advertised, but its pine and citrus elements carry little bitterness. Some brewers go overboard on the kettle hops, leaving the sensation that your tongue's been put through a sausage grinder. Here, however, caramel malt can do its thing and there's hop flavour, but without the stinging, raspy bite.

IPAs are to American craft brewers what gladiator fighting was to ancient Romans. Hence, a lot of breweries have gotten out of control trying to produce the biggest, boldest hop bomb on the market. Four Peaks, however, includes all the confidence and character without any of the aggression. Fans of Bell's Two Hearted, Ballast Point Big Eye or Russian River Blind Pig will find a lot familiar here. Greatly enjoyed and surely recommended! (1,814 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 12 pack at Total Wine Saturday for $17.99.

Beer poured golden with a white head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is wonderful, full of fresh citrus and tropical hops.

Taste is pretty well balanced, pale malts create a nice baseline for the wonderful blend of mango and citrus hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall this is a solid beer, the best year round brew from Arizona. Definitiely try this if you have the opportunity! (448 characters)

Hop Knot from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery