Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hop Knot - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Hop KnotHop Knot

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Knot Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hop Knot 4.5 across all categories

Light copper in color, nice clarity and lace.
Excellent floral hop aromas with appropriatte malt and caramel malt dash of sweet support. Tastes as it smells with some dark citrus fruit notes.
Very enjoyable IPA, best Four Peaks offering in my opinion. Reminds me of a cross between a lighter more flavorful SN Torpedo. I had this at the brewery and restuarant and it really grew on me. Nice work on this one Four Peaks.

FYI...8th st pale and hop knot are the best to style.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Similar to any other IPA, great. Great lacing. Full thick head.

S: hops up front, sweet, citrus, much sweeter than on-tap.

T: It is one of my favorite beers. Bitter enough. Sweet finish. Pine and citrus tones.

M: Not thick not watery. Smoother out less bite than tap.

D: You reach for your glass and its empty, happened to me ALL the time.

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

This one surprised me! They put the glass in front of me, and I saw a pretty average, golden, slightly cloudy beer, with just a bit of head, but it did hold a while, and had some pretty nice lacing. Then I put it to my nose, and got punched in face! The hops dominated!! The taste was pretty much what you would expect from the aroma! This was like chewying on hops! Loved it!!! I would swim in this stuff!

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

Bought the newly produced cans on Saturday the 21st, so about a week ago. That was the release date so you know it's nice and fresh. Wish they had some kind of dating on the cans though. Poured into a regular old pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice light golden clear color with about a finger's worth of white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Head diminishes to a nice light film over top with a few bubbles here and there.

Smell - Literally the first thing that comes to mind is DANK! Another descriptor would be oily/resiny! There's a good reason for this description as hops (Humulus lupulus) are in the same family (Cannabaceae) as marijuana (Cannabis sativa). I just don't understand it, but I love this smell (can't lie, I've smelled weed and love that smell too). Just something about it. Anyways you also get that nice floral and citrusy IPA smell. It's got a good amount of tropical/grapefruit and citrus to it and some sweetness smell as well. Seems like everytime I have this, I end up with a nose full of foam because I can't help but keep sticking my nose in it again and again! Grassy smell is in there a bit also, but they use like 7 different kinds of hops. Not surprising. I could literally bathe in that smell. If someone made a cologne that smelled like this, I'd probably never be without it. This is probably the epitome of what I think an IPA should smell like. I love it.

Taste - Seems like the taste is just what you'd expect from the smell. There's citrus goodness, like orange and some other light citrus, with some tropical fruit and herbal notes. Burps bring out the best of it, and some pine. Also the malt bill is there enough to be nice and balanced and make it not too bitter or biting and give it some bready or biscuity notes. This is a strong IPA but seems pretty well balanced as well, if that makes sense. Taste is very good, but not quite amazing. Probably a 4.5 out of 5.0.

Mouthfeel - Feels great. Nice and light medium bodied for an IPA, with a crispness and carbonation level a bit above creamy, probably medium carbonation. Basically very drinkable. And at 6.7% ABV, it's something I can drink a 64 oz growler of over the course of 3-4 hours. It's just that good and drinkable. Finish is lighter but not on the dry side. Leaves my palate wet with anticipation of the next sip every damn time.

Overall - Sometimes I really hate living in Arizona. The heat drives me crazy, I can't stand it. But as long as I'm here and Four Peaks is too, my go-to local beer will be Hop Knot and it makes living here pretty worthwhile. I've got a few Four Peaks growlers, one of which is designated for nothing but Hop Knot. And it gets used fairly often. The fact that cans will now be readily available kind of leaves my growler feeling threatened. But you know you really can't beat the freshness of a straight from the tap growler fill on the weekend. Basically, if you're in the valley and enjoy IPAs, this brew is NOT TO BE MISSED! 4.5 out of 5.0!

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Had this at Magpies Pizza in 4th Street in Tucson

Poured golden/bronze with 1 finger of pearl white head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Nice citrus & pine hops with some breadyness once warm

T: Grapefruitty, peppery & pine hops plus a kiss of honey malt up front. Breadyness mingles with nice piney hops as this warms. Finishes crisp & moreish, almost pulled a 5.0

MF: Medium bodied with lively carbonation that makes the hops pop. Great balance as well

Probably the best beer I had in AZ, one to quaff, despite the ABV

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%

Aroma smells strongly of citrus. Grapefruit is the dominating taste coming from the copious amounts of flavor hops. Bitterness is bellow average for an IPA. Mouthfeel is light to medium. I enjoyed the beer immensely and see this as being interchangeable with Hopslam.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

This pours a light tan color. Crisp piney and citrusy hop notes.
This is what I was craving.

I guess I don’t have much more to add to this review right now. This sure ain’t poetry.
Beer reviews can be like that sometimes.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Cask @ Four Peaks in Tempe, AZ.

A - A bit darker than the traditional brew, with nice shades of amber and red. A great, fluffy, off-white head that is typical of cask ales.

S - Much more floral and fruity. Hops shine here.

T - Where the original can be a bit too dry and lack a certain hop bite, this brew hits a great cask IPA on the head. Fruity, floral, delicious hops with a good malty backbone.

M - Incredibly smooth, creamy, and the perfect temperature. Goes down way too easily.

O - A must try for all fans of Hop Knot.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

I had this on draft a few times while visiting Sedona. This has to be one of the best IPA's I've had in a long time. Everything about it screamed IPA. The hops were so present, i wish I saw it more often while i was here.

The color is a slightly cloudy gold, a little on the light side with a decent amount of carbonation. The aroma, as I said, screamed hops in a very refreshing way. The flavor, again, had a great hop character...maybe a little out of balance but who cares. If you want an IPA and want there to be no doubt that that's what you're drinking, this is the IPA for you. I wish I came across IPA's this good more often.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Pale yellow-orange with some nice lacing around the top rim of my pint glass.

S: Citrius and very heavy pine presence. I detected nearly no malt in the aroma.

T: Very intense first sip, with nice hop resin flavors and pine. Just a hint of malt sweetness.

M: Crisp and bubbly, just as you would expect.

D: There's nothing quite like a fresh, well-made IPA on tap. I can't imagine drinking this out of the bottle, bit if you ever get a chance to try it in-house, don't pass it up.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draft at the Tempe brewery
A- Clear golden hue, big thick white head, thick lacing on the glass
S- Moderate pine resin balanced with sweet grapefruit and bubblegum
T- Sweet citrus and grapefruit dominate initially, opens up to subtle pine and floral hops, finishes with a touch of sweet and bitter hops
M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, moderate carbonation
D- Deliciously sweet IPA, easy drinking and well-balanced, this is a very delicious beer that was one of my favorites while living in Phoenix

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

A- Clear Golden with a sudsy head.

S- Citrus and Floral hops exploding all over.

T- This beer is intense first sip. Just a crazy wonderful mix of hops. Spicy, bitter and citrus all dominating. The aftertaste is nice and will leave your mouthwatering.

M- Spicy & carbonated, light bodied.

D- I can't explain how awesome this beer is. At 6% it's got nut, but you can still pound them.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Enjoyed this beer at Pizza Bianco's sister bar while we waited an hour and 45 minutes for a table. I am very happy that we had the long wait and that I had the opportunity to have a couple of pints.

Just an excellent beer.

The head on each glass was rather diminutive and measured less than a finger in thickness. The head was fairly and while small did show nice retention. Some decent lacing formed and there was no visible carbonation.

Color was at the line between golden amber and orange amber.

Aroma was fantastic. Very strong floral/perfume aroma with strong citrus notes and a spicy/peppery tone. I also smelled and later tasted a slight hint of mint.

Taste was really fantastic and exceedingly fresh. Nice burst of bright hop bitterness up front. Grapefruit and peppery notes. Again I got the sense of mint. I am not saying it tasted like a mint beer, but I think this was a part of the spicy notes. In the background was a nice bread like flavor that balanced the assertive hop flavor. This was an assertive APA and in some ways could be considered an IPA. Just a wonderful beer.

Mouth feel was fairly light in body and the carbonation kept the sensation very bright.

Very very drinkable. Quaffable dare I say.

I look forward to waiting for a table at Pizza Bianco again. I'll BE BACK!

Excellent Beer.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with an inch of foam that leaves a few shards of lace behind

Smell: Floral and citrusy with pink grapefruit aromatics

Taste: A touch bready up front and then the hops take over, bringing the floral grapefruit flavors detected in the aroma; the malt stays in the background throughout, though there is just a touch of caramel in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate but crisp carbonation

Overall: Wow, this is an "under the radar" IPA that is just as good as the more notable examples of the style

Thanks, mikedR (from the other site), for the opportunity

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

Hop Knot looks like the only thing it's entangled was sunlight; a brilliantly bright golden colour practically leaps out of the glass, even against the light of a completely overcast sky. The perfectly clear beer shows just a hint of carbonation, with few visible bubbles and not much by of head. Certainly no lacing ever take shape.

American IPAs are all about hops and this one must have more Cascade and Liberty and Simcoe in its little finger than some do in their entire body. I could smell the citric juices right from the pour, without even having to hold the glass to my nose. I'm surprised the neighbor across the street hasn't commented on smelling them yet.

My first sip reminded me of exactly what I love about this style: the flavour of toasty malt covered in citrus-y hop resins. It may be an acquired taste, but once one does acquire it there's simply no going back to lesser flavourful things. The tastes of cantaloupe, lemon, lychee and grapefruit are too delicious not to include in an IPA recipe.

Hop Knot is indeed a hop-dominated experience as advertised, but its pine and citrus elements carry little bitterness. Some brewers go overboard on the kettle hops, leaving the sensation that your tongue's been put through a sausage grinder. Here, however, caramel malt can do its thing and there's hop flavour, but without the stinging, raspy bite.

IPAs are to American craft brewers what gladiator fighting was to ancient Romans. Hence, a lot of breweries have gotten out of control trying to produce the biggest, boldest hop bomb on the market. Four Peaks, however, includes all the confidence and character without any of the aggression. Fans of Bell's Two Hearted, Ballast Point Big Eye or Russian River Blind Pig will find a lot familiar here. Greatly enjoyed and surely recommended!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 12 pack at Total Wine Saturday for $17.99.

Beer poured golden with a white head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is wonderful, full of fresh citrus and tropical hops.

Taste is pretty well balanced, pale malts create a nice baseline for the wonderful blend of mango and citrus hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall this is a solid beer, the best year round brew from Arizona. Definitiely try this if you have the opportunity!

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

Just picked this one up at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale. Poured into a Spaten tumbler glass. Light, clear orange color. Medium carbonation bubbles with a one finger bright white head. Looking pretty sticky now.

Smell is an overpowering green, leafy, wet hop aroma. Citrus smells of yellow grapefruit rind.

Taste is over the top. Just a fresh, green, resiny, oily hop taste. Tart orange flavor. The only other beer I have had with this hop profile is Abrasive. Just fantastic.

Mouth is what it should be for the style. Bright and easy to drink. Rich and not a bit watery anywhere in the swallow. Very enjoyable!!!

Overall I feel like a douchebag!! This has been in my backyard for many years and I just tried it? I was told but didn't believe. A fantastic representation of the style and a must try if you are in the Phoenix metro area!!

4.34/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle courtesy of Tayner, thanks again!

Pours a bright gold color with a faint white head.

Aromas are very nice. Great smelling IPA, really fresh hops, bright citrus, oranges, and a little hard candy sweetness.

Taste is quite dry, a little prickly on the mouthfeel. Really hop forward, grassy, resin like, with some citrus orange flavors. A touch of malt sweetness is hidden in the background, it's there, but it takes a back seat to the big hop flavors. Finish is crisp, with a short snappy finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, a little prickly at first, but smooths out nicely.

Drinkability is quite good. This is a very tasty IPA. Lots of fresh hop flavors, but not too overpowering. Very drinkable, I'd be happy to drink another. Good stuff!

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz can poured into a HF stem. Thanks to Paul (azdback) for this one!

A: This is very clear. Wow. Minimal haziness and a dark golden/orange color. Nice, thick white head that leaves beautiful lacing.
S: Lots of pine resin. A bit of sweetness, balanced out with some citrusy aromas. A bit floral too.
T: Very well balanced IPA. Lots of sweet maltiness balancing out with citrus (grapefruit) and floral tastes. Not as hoppy as I had expected from the smell but very tasty regardless.
M: Light/medium bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth and creamy with a bit of dryness in the finish.
O: This is an excellent IPA that has flown under everyone's radar. Glad I got the chance to try this one. Very well balanced and not too much alcohol make this an excellent and very well balanced IPA that I could drink all day!

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Received this one as an extra, I wish I took better notes so that I could thank whoever it was, but you're out there and Cheers to trading anyway!

Pours a very nice golden hue with a nice bubbly head that dissipates into a reasonably thick crown. Carbonation is very active in my Samuel Adams sensory glass.

Smell is actually very close to DIPA territory, pretty potent stuff. Hop sweetness is prevalent, mostly of the citrus and pine resin variety.

Taste, while more potent than most IPAs is still weak for my DIPA battered palate, but what is there is quite tasty and even refreshing for IPA standards. For specifics, see the smell, but this is sweeter and more drinkable than a lot of other IPAs that I find too puckeringly bitter.

Mouth is thin to medium in body and reasonably heavy on the carbonation. Works well here.

A very drinkable IPA and I'm pretty sad that I will probably not have the opportunity to try this one again, but glad I had this one chance. Very good stuff.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Hop Knot is a great offering from Four Peaks Brewing. Everything a 'hop head' could want in an IPA. Citrus notes definitely dominate here in this golden colored beer. There are hoppier IPA's out there, but this definitely delivers and is a very drinkable variety. Give this one a try and you will not be disappointed.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance – This is a cloudy, brooding, faded orange in color with a nice head. The foam bubbles are unusually large.

Smell – The hop aroma is complex with some citrusy pine and a bit of grapefruit.

Taste – The hops thankfully come over well at the taste. There’s more grapefruit here and a little bit of orange sweetness. The malt is very light.

Mouthfeel – This is medium-bodied with some surprising carbonation for the style. It’s not bitter at all and actually more balanced than it smells.

Drinkability – They managed to make this beer extremely hoppy without being very bitter so it goes down quite well. It’s rare to find a beer this hoppy that doesn’t wreck the palate.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to sholland119 for sharing a bottle of this one.

A-Brilliant orange kissed golden yellow with a thin white head and a little bit of lacing.

S-Tart citrus of grapefruit, tangerine and orange. Low amount of malt sweetness detected.

T-Potent citric acid punch with a boat load of citrus fruit flavour. Most of it a bland of grapefruit and orange. Notes of softer fruit flavours in the background such as apple and peach. A complimenting malt sweetness in the finish.

M-Medium body with a pleasant, long lasting bitterness.

D-A totally solid and nearly sessionable west coast IPA. All the citrus hoppy goodness that I crave with a minimal amount of malt sweetness....YUMMY!

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

A - poured with a small head of white foam on a clear, dark golden body. The head settles and leaves thick lace.

S - a fruity aroma of mango, grapefruit, and pine.

T - bready malt, spicy pine and a touch of caramel up front. More of the same in the middle with a peppery character that carries though to the finish with moderate bitterness and lots of grapefruit.

M - medium thick body, moderate carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - very nice, especially for a single IPA. The hop character is excellent, but balanced and the beer is very drinkable.

4.24/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got this courtesy of Phelps - thanks Zach!

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - A medium to deep amber with a one finger creamy head. Nice retention and adequate lacing throughout.

S - Very nice! Fruity aroma with grapefruit up front and some piney hops and trace of floral. Smell persisted until the end.

T - Taste similar to the smell. Hop bitterness mingled with fruitiness and a light malt presence. No pronounced lingering bitterness. Very good balance.

M- Fairly light with medium carbonation. I normally like a little more body with my IPA's but this one was just about right for this long hot summer.

O - I liked this brew. It would be a regular in the fridge if available locally, especially during hot weather. Recommend!

Hop Knot from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery