2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Knot - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Hop KnotHop Knot

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003)
Ratings: 314 | Reviews: 110 | Show All Ratings:
Marty30

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Big Thanks to aandresen for this extra.12 oz can poured into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp.

A. Clear golden color body looks crisp, Bid 2 and a half finger off white head.Very healthy carbonation.Sticky lacing.

S. Very nice,very piney and good amount of grapefruit and pineapple.Little bit of lemon and grass in the back end.

T. Bitter pine and grapefruit a small amount of passion fruit and floral hops.Balences out nicely.Dry finish.

M. Weakest part of this beer.Pretty thin and light on the palate.Good carbonation.

Overall very good IPA,pretty straight forward.Very drinkable and refreshing.I would buy a case of this if I could get it.I recommend.

06-23-2011 01:03:57 | More by Marty30
bennetj17

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours leaving little head unfortunately, though it has somewhat lively carbonation throughout. The color is very golden, it looks more like a Pils than an IPA. The aroma yields a citrus hop bouquet, with a watermelon twang plus a strong balance of caramel malt sweetness. It lacks enough intensity to really draw me in however.

The flavor is sort of one dimensional as it never seems to round itself out in the finish. From start to back it's a tangy fruit, herbal, hop dominant beer with moderate bitterness creeping in slowly. It stays pretty clean in flavor and is also more refreshing due to a lighter mouthfeel that's not syrupy like some IPA's get. Decent carbonation.

Overall one of the better Arizona brewed beers, but it's a notch below many fine craft IPA's. I'd probably buy more of it but for $18.99 a 12-pack it doesn't give me an incentive to choose it over say, Odell IPA or something like that. I like the cans though, it definitely was fresh too.

06-11-2011 05:17:56 | More by bennetj17
arizcards

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 12 pack at Total Wine Saturday for $17.99.

Beer poured golden with a white head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is wonderful, full of fresh citrus and tropical hops.

Taste is pretty well balanced, pale malts create a nice baseline for the wonderful blend of mango and citrus hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall this is a solid beer, the best year round brew from Arizona. Definitiely try this if you have the opportunity!

05-30-2011 22:49:03 | More by arizcards
matttttYCE

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Bought the newly produced cans on Saturday the 21st, so about a week ago. That was the release date so you know it's nice and fresh. Wish they had some kind of dating on the cans though. Poured into a regular old pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice light golden clear color with about a finger's worth of white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Head diminishes to a nice light film over top with a few bubbles here and there.

Smell - Literally the first thing that comes to mind is DANK! Another descriptor would be oily/resiny! There's a good reason for this description as hops (Humulus lupulus) are in the same family (Cannabaceae) as marijuana (Cannabis sativa). I just don't understand it, but I love this smell (can't lie, I've smelled weed and love that smell too). Just something about it. Anyways you also get that nice floral and citrusy IPA smell. It's got a good amount of tropical/grapefruit and citrus to it and some sweetness smell as well. Seems like everytime I have this, I end up with a nose full of foam because I can't help but keep sticking my nose in it again and again! Grassy smell is in there a bit also, but they use like 7 different kinds of hops. Not surprising. I could literally bathe in that smell. If someone made a cologne that smelled like this, I'd probably never be without it. This is probably the epitome of what I think an IPA should smell like. I love it.

Taste - Seems like the taste is just what you'd expect from the smell. There's citrus goodness, like orange and some other light citrus, with some tropical fruit and herbal notes. Burps bring out the best of it, and some pine. Also the malt bill is there enough to be nice and balanced and make it not too bitter or biting and give it some bready or biscuity notes. This is a strong IPA but seems pretty well balanced as well, if that makes sense. Taste is very good, but not quite amazing. Probably a 4.5 out of 5.0.

Mouthfeel - Feels great. Nice and light medium bodied for an IPA, with a crispness and carbonation level a bit above creamy, probably medium carbonation. Basically very drinkable. And at 6.7% ABV, it's something I can drink a 64 oz growler of over the course of 3-4 hours. It's just that good and drinkable. Finish is lighter but not on the dry side. Leaves my palate wet with anticipation of the next sip every damn time.

Overall - Sometimes I really hate living in Arizona. The heat drives me crazy, I can't stand it. But as long as I'm here and Four Peaks is too, my go-to local beer will be Hop Knot and it makes living here pretty worthwhile. I've got a few Four Peaks growlers, one of which is designated for nothing but Hop Knot. And it gets used fairly often. The fact that cans will now be readily available kind of leaves my growler feeling threatened. But you know you really can't beat the freshness of a straight from the tap growler fill on the weekend. Basically, if you're in the valley and enjoy IPAs, this brew is NOT TO BE MISSED! 4.5 out of 5.0!

05-30-2011 08:22:15 | More by matttttYCE
yemenmocha

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

No freshness date. Can format.

Pours a honey golden hue, translucent and bright, with generous white head. Lots of lacing and creamy goodness on the head. Nose is a delight with some tangerine, maybe peachy-pear, and light herbal component. On the palate is a hop focused citrusy flavor that is delicious, herbal hop components kicking in, and just enough malt to keep it civilized. Nice bitter tingle on the finish.

Only negative is that it is incredibly watery & light. Head to head with regional IPA's makes this characteristic stand out quite prominently.

05-28-2011 19:16:36 | More by yemenmocha
Rampage1

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

I like the fact that I am the first to review this in a can. Heading to Biancos with Jordan after a brief stop at Four Peaks to grab some beers to go.

Appearance: A nice golden color with a slight chill haze to it. Has a bright,egg shell white color head with a half inch cap.

Smell: this is one of my first ipa's in az and one of my fondest memories of a ipa. I've been drinking this one for years and it all goes back to Pizzeria Bianco. The beer has q nice tropical smell to it. Mostly orange rind and grapefruit pith. It is awesome and a great example of how a west coast ipa should smell.

Taste: A nice light citrus taste that consists of orange mostly and other light citrus. Has a light bitter flavor with a light malt and biscuit flavor.

Mouthfeel: nice carbonation that delivers a great flavor of citrus.

Overall. Awesome is the best thing I can say about this local.This is such a smooth flavored IPA that is definitely session worthy. I love drinking this on a hot summer day especially when it is followed up by Biancos. So glad they are canning this finally. Should be in the locals frys within the next couple weeks from what I was told which is going to make one hell of a summer. Thanks Four Peaks!

05-21-2011 20:37:05 | More by Rampage1
swthomas55

3.83/5  rDev -5%

On tap at the Tempe brewpub, 4oz sample.

App - gold-amber, clear, head ok.
Aroma - grassy hops. Really, too green.
Flavor - the flavor redeems the aroma. There is sweet malt, but also a ton of hop flavor and solid bitterness. I wish the aroma was this well integrated.
Mouthfeel - medium bodied, smooth with a bit of astringency from all those hops!
Overall -- would be great without that grassy, green aroma.

03-27-2011 04:34:48 | More by swthomas55
jth218

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Similar to any other IPA, great. Great lacing. Full thick head.

S: hops up front, sweet, citrus, much sweeter than on-tap.

T: It is one of my favorite beers. Bitter enough. Sweet finish. Pine and citrus tones.

M: Not thick not watery. Smoother out less bite than tap.

D: You reach for your glass and its empty, happened to me ALL the time.

03-04-2011 03:11:22 | More by jth218
rjochman

4.03/5  rDev 0%

A: pours a clear golden orange color with a white head with a little bit of lacing.

S: All hops. very piney and citrus hops.

T: really flavorful. get the sweet pine flavors and some fruit tones.

M: A lot of carbonation and a very crisp and clean drink.

D: Although its 6.0%, this beer is really drinkable. A solid IPA from AZ.

01-29-2011 16:26:50 | More by rjochman
dbraz45

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Hop Knot is a great offering from Four Peaks Brewing. Everything a 'hop head' could want in an IPA. Citrus notes definitely dominate here in this golden colored beer. There are hoppier IPA's out there, but this definitely delivers and is a very drinkable variety. Give this one a try and you will not be disappointed.

01-03-2011 01:41:50 | More by dbraz45
Lucklys

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

On tap, it arrived at our table glowing a clear golden-copper amber and held a finger-thick off-white head that filled what little space was available above the beer (my only complaint, really, but technically I got more beer). The head was fueled by multiple steady streams of carbonation that lasted throughout the drink and provided ample support to the amazing sheets of sticky lacing that graced the glass while I sipped on it. Awesome head retention and lacing? A great way to start a beer off, in my opinion.

I held my nose over the brew and caught huge whiffs of orange peel and grapefruit zest, pine needle hops, and some faint grassy-malt sweetness underneath. The lively bitterness almost made it seem fizzy in my nose, but it was a welcome vivacity from an IPA and was very reminiscent of summer.

Eager to bathe my taste buds in the hoppy glory that was emanating from the Hop Knot, I first had to get over how super quaffable the brew was. This is some seriously smooth beer. It flooded my mouth with just enough piney, resiny hops, orange peel and grapefruit zest without overwhelming my senses. It was freshly bitter and bright without too much bite thanks to the lightly caramel sweet malts that made a quick appearance before the grand finale. Throughout the drink, the bitterness briskly jigged with the finely-bubbled peppy carbonation, creating a lighter mouthfeel (among a medium body) and leaving my tongue feeling awake and refreshed. And despite all of the happy hops jumping around between my cheeks, the ending was nice and smooth with a clean aftertaste.

12-01-2010 17:37:18 | More by Lucklys
david18

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

I had this on draft a few times while visiting Sedona. This has to be one of the best IPA's I've had in a long time. Everything about it screamed IPA. The hops were so present, i wish I saw it more often while i was here.

The color is a slightly cloudy gold, a little on the light side with a decent amount of carbonation. The aroma, as I said, screamed hops in a very refreshing way. The flavor, again, had a great hop character...maybe a little out of balance but who cares. If you want an IPA and want there to be no doubt that that's what you're drinking, this is the IPA for you. I wish I came across IPA's this good more often.

11-14-2010 16:43:32 | More by david18
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden-amber-orange in color with a fairly white head. First pint or two from the growler was firm and sticky after which it was a pretty runofthemill. Thin cap of foam. Spotty lacing. Nice hoppy aroma, citric and a little floral, but a little too clean for me to love it. Malts are pale and offer only a little hint of sweetness. From the growler, the hopping throws out about three seconds of pop before fading into the pale malt - slightly cloying - sweetness. Funny phrase: too balanced. This is definitely a hop-sided beer, but I still don't feel like I love how the malts come in and take over the finish. Body is well on the light side. Drinkability is of course rock solid.

10-14-2010 03:27:35 | More by BretSikkink
Jeriba

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Pale yellow-orange with some nice lacing around the top rim of my pint glass.

S: Citrius and very heavy pine presence. I detected nearly no malt in the aroma.

T: Very intense first sip, with nice hop resin flavors and pine. Just a hint of malt sweetness.

M: Crisp and bubbly, just as you would expect.

D: There's nothing quite like a fresh, well-made IPA on tap. I can't imagine drinking this out of the bottle, bit if you ever get a chance to try it in-house, don't pass it up.

09-26-2010 02:30:04 | More by Jeriba
Seahawk480

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

This beer is my ideal IPA. A Hoppy, American IPA. Not too bitter so its accessible to non-hop heads. It is a bit sweet, but not overpoweringly. Just balanced and has that lovely pine aroma as you draw your first sip.

There is no better beer on a cold day.

07-21-2010 22:37:32 | More by Seahawk480
unclejimbay

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hop Knot 4.5 across all categories

Light copper in color, nice clarity and lace.
Excellent floral hop aromas with appropriatte malt and caramel malt dash of sweet support. Tastes as it smells with some dark citrus fruit notes.
Very enjoyable IPA, best Four Peaks offering in my opinion. Reminds me of a cross between a lighter more flavorful SN Torpedo. I had this at the brewery and restuarant and it really grew on me. Nice work on this one Four Peaks.

FYI...8th st pale and hop knot are the best to style.

05-20-2010 16:34:10 | More by unclejimbay
Phelps

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

My first cask pale ale. The regular Hop Knot is one of my favorites, so I'm excited for this.

A sticky, foamy white head with craggy bubbles comes to me about two fingers wide. It quickly ebbs to half that, but that's as low as it gets. Great retention. The liquid is a perfectly clear light tangerine, with no visible carbonation.

What an incredible aroma. Hop Knot uses four different hops added at different times in the brewing process, and right now they're all combining in sweet piney, grassy, harmonious brightness. I once toured Deschutes brewery and got to stand inside their hop storage unit -- this smells like I'm back in that hop closet. Bitter but not biting, and backed by a mild honey sweetness.

Light bitterness hinted at. Citrusy, piney hops lead the way, and sweet caramel malts back it up. The owner of Four Peaks once told me this was his favorite beer because it's the most balanced they produce, and I'd have to agree. Sweet caramel malts fuse with a powerful hoppiness in perfect congruity. Incredible.

Carbonation is negligible, as cask ale tends to be, but surprisingly and satisfyingly full-bodied. Smooth over the tongue, and almost creamy. I'm usually not a fan of beers without carbonation, but the trade-off here is improved body, and it works.

Whether in keg or cask, the balance and drinkability this beer delivers every time I try it shows why Hop Knot is -- and remains -- my favorite IPA.

05-17-2010 02:32:06 | More by Phelps
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Enjoyed on tap in Scottsdale (brewed in Tempe). A very decent drinking American IPA. Lots of lace on medium yellow coloured body. Pleasant C-hop aroma. Very decent bitterness.Appropriate carbonation and average mouthfeel. Of their two IPAs, this was the clear winner.

02-07-2010 05:51:06 | More by Sammy
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured a yellow orangish color with a nice head and some decent carbonation on it. Nose of some hops, a little piney scent. Tasted a little citrus, piney and floral. I can tell there are some American C's here, Chinook, Centennial and perhaps Amarillo finshed with some bitterness. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and in no way is this a IIPA. Overall probably the best beer from Four Peaks.

12-25-2009 01:43:54 | More by barleywinefiend
jampics2

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap at Four Peaks. Poured into a pint glass.

Looks nice, great consistant bubbles rise through a golden-orange clear and filtered body.

Smell is good. Nice citrus hops and bit of caramel malt shine through.

Taste is great but I remember it being more hop forward the last time I had it. Perhaps this is a batch that's a month or 2 old. Medium bitterness. Nothing extreme, but a little too toned down for me.

Mouth is appropriate for the style. Just enough malt to be substantial.

A good IPA, but I think it's been better in the past. Would def. have again, and it's worth trying, but I'm waiting for the double hop knot in a few months :)

11-27-2009 22:31:01 | More by jampics2
magictrokini

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Poures clear orange-gold with a bubbly white head. Moderate lacing. Funky pine hops with a bit of sweat-sock in terms of the resin. Earthy, herbal, and a lot of citrus zest. Carbonated, popping mouthfell with a long, sharp finish. Very bitter hop bite, more sour than sweet, with a fair amount of resin. Like a blend of grapefruit, pine, and white pepper. This is very tart, but in the American/West-Coast IPA sense. Some graininess with the malt, as well as some sticky mouthfeel. Good stuff for hopheads.

09-01-2009 18:23:34 | More by magictrokini
movingtrain

Had this from the cask at Four Peaks in Tempe...poured into an Imperial pint glass.

Appearance is light copper color, about a 1/2 finger head, cascading down the glass. Smells like an IPA should...hoppy, citrusy, a little piney...the cask conditioning gives it a bit sweeter smell, and a bit more murky appearance.

This tastes great. I had a taste of the regular Hop Knot, and it was good. But, cask-conditioning makes this beer stand out. it's just cool enough to be refreshing, and a lot of the beer's flavors come through very well. There are some bittersweet notes here...and the malts seem to be very well balanced with the hops. They boast that this is brewed with four different hops at four different times throughout the brewing process...not too out of the ordinary...and this has turned into quite a delicious beer our here in the desert.

Overall, I could drink this all night. I really like what the cask conditioning gives to this beer...and if I could, I would take a growler back on the plane with me!

06-18-2009 00:19:15 | More by movingtrain
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Had a pint at the Four Peaks - Tempe on 3/28.

A: A very pretty copper-orange, crowned with a thick white one-finger head of suds. Not a ton of carbonation, just a few random bubbles. Very clear with a healthy lacing, glued on in sticky bands.

S: Sweet caramel, pine and grapefruit aromas intermingling.

T: Pithy orange/grapefruit bitterness. A caramel maltiness flows in waves. Quite tasty, great balance.

M: Silky smooth, the epitome of 'creamy'.

D: A fine IPA. Flavor is nothing too creative, but is a well-balanced and flavorful brew nonetheless. A pleasure to drink, one I'd have again.

04-23-2009 02:34:37 | More by msubulldog25
gford217

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared by glid02.

Pours a very light golden amber with a small soapy white head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving little lacing. I think the appearance suffered a bit being from the growler.

The aroma is dominated by the sweet citrus hops, though it's not over-the-top hoppy. There is some malt sweetness but not much.

The initial taste is of the juicy tropical citrus, pineapples and oranges especially. The finish has a little more pine presence and leaves a nice bitterness after each sip.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with good carbonation and makes for an extremely drinkable IPA. This is my first beer from Four Peaks and I definitely enjoyed it.

04-17-2009 16:42:15 | More by gford217
glid02

Georgia

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this on-tap at the brewery.

Pours a clear copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a thin pancake on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells hoppy. Lots of citrus and pine aromas with hints of tropical fruit - very nice.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the malt is a bit more pronounced than the smell led me to believe. Citrus and tropical fruit flavors are backed up by pale malts. Hints of pine flavors come in right before a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I had no problem with one glass and could (and did) have a few more.

Overall this was a very solid IPA. If the flavors were a bit cleaner this could rival some of the world-class IPA's.

03-30-2009 17:59:27 | More by glid02