Hop Knot - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Hop KnotHop Knot

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Knot Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
3.94/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to nvsblman for including this in my secret santa package. Poured into my Hop Knot shaker glass (also courtesy of santa). Appears a clear golden yellow color with barely half an inch of thin foam that quickly vanishes to a thin layer. Smells and tastes of caramel malt, lemon, pine needles and grapefruit. Smells and tastes much better than it's appearance leads on (kind of like Sunshine Pils does). Medium body and carbonation. A nicely done IPA. (455 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to stubone for the trade. never tried an az beer before this one.

A: Poured a fairly yellow color with a small, white head measuring less than a finger. Dissipates quickly.

S: Damn! Heavy citrus hops, loaded in grapefruit aroma. Stuff smells like it would cure scurvy in a heartbeat. Aroma is a little one-dimensional but it's incredibly intense and rather mouth-watering.

T: Wow. Sweet and fruity and as said before, intensely hoppy. It's not brutally bitter though, which is nice. It doesn't dry out your mouth and allows that sweetness and citrus to come through more.

M: Maybe a little on the watery side but the hops dance on the palate wonderfully.

D: Could certainly drink plenty of this, even though it's nearly a grapefruit beer. It's very very tasty. (772 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a pale straw-colored golden with a very large head, nearly 3 fingers. The color is nice, but the white head, its retention, and its lacing are pretty amazing. Thick, even, soapy lacing coats the glass in an unbelievably even manner. Head doesn't normally recede in such a logical fashion. Watching this beer I begin to think this is the only way for such a recession to occur.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the aroma. Seldom do I trade for an IPA (actually, this was an extra from BOLTZ7555) that keeps a strong, pungent IPA aroma. Something about shipment seems to substantially diminish the essence of the hop aroma. Anyway, on to the aroma. Smells very citrusy. Orange pith, grapefruit rind, and other citrus. Very pungent. Pine resin and floral hops as well.

The flavor is hop dominated, with practically no sweetness and a tiny malt backbone. In other words, the profile of a perfect West Coast IPA. Primarily grapefruit and orange. Bitterness is on the upper medium end of the style, which makes for a very drinkable representation of the style. The finish is dry, bitter, and citrusy; it leaves a certain lingering stickiness in my mouth.

Before Hop Knot, I couldn't have named a beer from Arizona. Now you'll hear me speak the name of Hop Knot loudly and often. This is a very good offering. (1,306 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a straw gold in color, very clear, a nice sized bright white head rests atop before slowly descending, lacing nicely in the process. Aroma is a nice mix of some citrus and a hint of sweetness from the malts. The strongest singular scent is of apricots which comes thru quite well in this bottle. Also some peaches, some tangelo, and grapefruit too, but like a nice sweet tree-ripened fruit. Taste follows with a good citrus hop up front, apricot comes thru in the taste as well, mid-taste. Some peppery flavor kicks in in the finish before a good sized drying and slightly puckery bitterness. Light to medium in body, the carbonation is light, and on the medium to soft side, feel wise. The pepperiness in the taste is present but light in the feel, and the bitterness pulls the moisture from the palate in the finish. Very good ipa, great aroma and nice bitterness, very drinkable. Thanks Dana for the opportunity. (921 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +1%

I've enjoyed many a pint of this beer but this review is of my first bottle of it. Got a case at the brewery in Tempe. It is a light golden almost straw like yellow. Unlike the many pints I've had the head was rather small, probably due to having a lower co2 content than the draft. Other than that though the taste was the same as draft. Some malt but mostly plenty of hop flavor and a nice easy drinking bitterness. Some citrus and grassy hop flavor. Aroma is like that of a fresh cut lawn, grassy. A well balanced easy drinking beer. (536 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Two 12oz bottles courtesy of the Arizona legend Tayner.

One of those bottles poured into a Four Peaks pint glass. Man I love branded glassware.

Smell, Wow. Big citrus hops with piney hops thrown into the mix.

Taste, is there malt in this brew? Big citrus and piney hops dominate. A firm malt backbone though keeps this beer in check. Aromatic and Crystal malt keeps this beer balanced and lends mucho complexity. Very forthright hop presence keeps smacking my taste buds around, while the sweet malt tries in vain to reign them in.

Overall, I don't know how to sum this up. Big citrus hops combined with a firm malt backbone. Pliny? Dreadnaught? Leatherlips? I'm sorry, but for the ABV you don't stand a chance. I'm adding this as a permanent "Wants". Wow is all I can say. Kudos to the brewers for masking such awesome hop presence.

I have a new favorite IPA. Sorry Leatherlips and Finest Kind IPA. (906 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

I just bought my first case of the newly-bottled stuff, and I wasn't planning on reviewing it again, but this is worthy. It's even better out of the bottle than the on-tap serving I had in Tempe last month. The color is a deep, rich yellow, quarter inch of white head. Smells intensely of piney hops. One of the greatest aromas I've ever experienced from a beer. Tastes of citrus, with some grapefruit and maybe a bit of orange in there, but not the overwhelming bitterness you get sometimes. Carbonation is right on the money. One of the most drinakble IPA's I've had. I had Pliney the Elder on tap in San Diego this past summer, and for my money, this is actually a tad better when it's this fresh. Nice job, Four Peaks! (722 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a golden honey color with a white head that dissipates pretty quick but remains an oily film across the top. Smells of HUGE hops, green, bitter, fresh, pine-y hops. I felt like i just laid down face first in a barrel of hop flowers. Taste is well, HOPS. It is loaded with pine-y, green hops that are oily and mouthcoating, but surprisingly not as bitter I as expected. It seems you can add a TON of hops without getting too much bitterness!

These are now being bottled, only available at the brewery for now, and at only 36.50 a case it is, by far, the best bottled beer made in arizona. I am happy this is FINALLY in the bottle. I plan on keeping a steady supply in my fridge. IMHO this can compete with the "big boys" around the country and at around 1.50 a bottle I suddenly dont feel the need to seek out other stuff from around the country.. this is my new "go to" IPA! (882 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Enjoyed this beer at Pizza Bianco's sister bar while we waited an hour and 45 minutes for a table. I am very happy that we had the long wait and that I had the opportunity to have a couple of pints.

Just an excellent beer.

The head on each glass was rather diminutive and measured less than a finger in thickness. The head was fairly and while small did show nice retention. Some decent lacing formed and there was no visible carbonation.

Color was at the line between golden amber and orange amber.

Aroma was fantastic. Very strong floral/perfume aroma with strong citrus notes and a spicy/peppery tone. I also smelled and later tasted a slight hint of mint.

Taste was really fantastic and exceedingly fresh. Nice burst of bright hop bitterness up front. Grapefruit and peppery notes. Again I got the sense of mint. I am not saying it tasted like a mint beer, but I think this was a part of the spicy notes. In the background was a nice bread like flavor that balanced the assertive hop flavor. This was an assertive APA and in some ways could be considered an IPA. Just a wonderful beer.

Mouth feel was fairly light in body and the carbonation kept the sensation very bright.

Very very drinkable. Quaffable dare I say.

I look forward to waiting for a table at Pizza Bianco again. I'll BE BACK!

Excellent Beer. (1,320 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Had this at Magpies Pizza in 4th Street in Tucson

Poured golden/bronze with 1 finger of pearl white head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Nice citrus & pine hops with some breadyness once warm

T: Grapefruitty, peppery & pine hops plus a kiss of honey malt up front. Breadyness mingles with nice piney hops as this warms. Finishes crisp & moreish, almost pulled a 5.0

MF: Medium bodied with lively carbonation that makes the hops pop. Great balance as well

Probably the best beer I had in AZ, one to quaff, despite the ABV (526 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draft at the Tempe brewery
A- Clear golden hue, big thick white head, thick lacing on the glass
S- Moderate pine resin balanced with sweet grapefruit and bubblegum
T- Sweet citrus and grapefruit dominate initially, opens up to subtle pine and floral hops, finishes with a touch of sweet and bitter hops
M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, moderate carbonation
D- Deliciously sweet IPA, easy drinking and well-balanced, this is a very delicious beer that was one of my favorites while living in Phoenix (502 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

This one surprised me! They put the glass in front of me, and I saw a pretty average, golden, slightly cloudy beer, with just a bit of head, but it did hold a while, and had some pretty nice lacing. Then I put it to my nose, and got punched in face! The hops dominated!! The taste was pretty much what you would expect from the aroma! This was like chewying on hops! Loved it!!! I would swim in this stuff! (406 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Head was low and died quickly, but there was good lacing. Clear gold with a touch of copper. S: The hops come through with sweet citrus--like orange or tangerine--and there was also a bit of malty sweetness. T: Wow. The sharpness was there, but in a good way, the flavors danced through various citrus and florals, but there weren't crazy and there was enough malt--both up front and then underneath the hops to keep things in balance. M: Moderate, and not too drying. D: I actually puled back on tis rating to be fair. First, it was a wicked hot Tempe summer day, so the beeriness along made it drinkable. Don't get me wrong, though. If I lived in Tempe, I'd be drinking a lot of these. (690 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

A- clear golden straw, freakin' huge fluffy off white head, lace on glass, and head retent is feels like an eternity(which is alright cause its such a pretty beer to look at)

S- strong fruity citrus aroma (orange maybe), grainy scent as well but fairly faint

T- bitter-sour-slight sweet grain flavor is awesome. sweet scent is much more than sweet taste. Sweetness is their faintly but is more easily noticed afterwords.

M- thinner than i remember, though im sure the fact that is comes from a growler has something to do with that. Really silky smooth though.

D- this is an amazing pale ale. Well made brew. Wish they bottled this stuff so i could get it all the time. Amazing stuff. (697 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance - Clear, bronze color with an inch thich white head. Very nice lacing.

Smell - Huge floral, spicy, herbal, green, fresh hop aroma. Dominate Cascade and Fuggle hop profile shinning through. This is how I want an Pale Ale to smell. Borderline IPA. Fantastic, intoxicating aroma.

Taste - Nearly as perfect. Quite possible my favorite Pale Ale ever. Like the aroma, huge floral, green, spicy hop flavors with a solid malt base that balances the hops perfectly.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean finish. Lovely hop flavor with minimal residual bitterness. Fantastic.

Drinkability - Fab-u-lous! I wish this was local and I could have it when ever I wanted. (664 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

This sits a brilliantly clear copper color and is topped by a pale tan head. The aroma is a nice mix of fruity notes and a pine like aromatic note. The fruity notes are dominant with apricot and grapefruit being evident in the forefront. There is a nice piney character to this beer that sort of acts like a backbone to the citrus notes. The taste is quite sweet up front, it even lingers through the bitter finish. The citrusy hop notes also linger on, and they are really quite nicely done. I get notes of tangerine, apricot, orange, sharp notes of pine, basil, and spruce. This is definitely quite nice. (606 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Another great beer from Four Peaks Brewery in Tempe, Arizona. This beer falls between a pale ale and an IPA. Smell was closer to an IPA (lots of hops) the flavor seemed to be more subtle. Not as hoppy as most IPAs, good flavor and after taste. Reminded me of a strong american pale ale. This was an incredibly easy beer to drink, very flavorful and smooth.

This beer started as a seasonal but was recently made a year round brew now available in kegs and bottles. (464 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Draught @ Papago
The beer as it sets in the mug a clear gold color, the head semi-creamy and bright white in color, lace forms a fine curtain upon the glass. Slight floral aroma but sweet malt dominates this fresh and clean nose, sweet and rich malt start, top is light to moderate in feel. Finish is fair to middling in its acidity, hops are pleasant in their spicy presence, dry and lingering aftertaste, a pleasant enough brew, drinkable. (442 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last