Hop Knot - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Hop KnotHop Knot

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Knot Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A- Clear Golden with a sudsy head.

S- Citrus and Floral hops exploding all over.

T- This beer is intense first sip. Just a crazy wonderful mix of hops. Spicy, bitter and citrus all dominating. The aftertaste is nice and will leave your mouthwatering.

M- Spicy & carbonated, light bodied.

D- I can't explain how awesome this beer is. At 6% it's got nut, but you can still pound them. (387 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

This one surprised me! They put the glass in front of me, and I saw a pretty average, golden, slightly cloudy beer, with just a bit of head, but it did hold a while, and had some pretty nice lacing. Then I put it to my nose, and got punched in face! The hops dominated!! The taste was pretty much what you would expect from the aroma! This was like chewying on hops! Loved it!!! I would swim in this stuff! (406 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

On tap, it arrived at our table glowing a clear golden-copper amber and held a finger-thick off-white head that filled what little space was available above the beer (my only complaint, really, but technically I got more beer). The head was fueled by multiple steady streams of carbonation that lasted throughout the drink and provided ample support to the amazing sheets of sticky lacing that graced the glass while I sipped on it. Awesome head retention and lacing? A great way to start a beer off, in my opinion.

I held my nose over the brew and caught huge whiffs of orange peel and grapefruit zest, pine needle hops, and some faint grassy-malt sweetness underneath. The lively bitterness almost made it seem fizzy in my nose, but it was a welcome vivacity from an IPA and was very reminiscent of summer.

Eager to bathe my taste buds in the hoppy glory that was emanating from the Hop Knot, I first had to get over how super quaffable the brew was. This is some seriously smooth beer. It flooded my mouth with just enough piney, resiny hops, orange peel and grapefruit zest without overwhelming my senses. It was freshly bitter and bright without too much bite thanks to the lightly caramel sweet malts that made a quick appearance before the grand finale. Throughout the drink, the bitterness briskly jigged with the finely-bubbled peppy carbonation, creating a lighter mouthfeel (among a medium body) and leaving my tongue feeling awake and refreshed. And despite all of the happy hops jumping around between my cheeks, the ending was nice and smooth with a clean aftertaste. (1,583 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Had on tap at four peaks and was so good I decided to get a growler. Pours with a decent sized head that leaves lacing in the glass.

Smells strongly of citrusy AND piney hops. Very nice. A subtle malt sweetness comes through.

The taste is exceptional for an IPA. All of the hop flavor with none of the bitterness. Upfront with a citrusy fruity malt flavor followed by a piney hop finish with no bitterness. Goes down easy, and perhaps the only flaw of the beer is the over carbonation.

Overall, a great beer period. If you ever come to AZ, you should get it. (561 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On-tap in a Weizen glass, for whatever reason.

A: Golden yellow with a clear one and a half finger head.

S: Oh man. You get a great burst of citrus on the nose, which lead me to believe I'd be in for a more fruity IPA.

T: Absolutely nothing like the nose at all. At first it started out as a complete hop bomb, and with a name like Hop Knot, I should have assumed as much. Much hoppier than the nose led me to believe it would be. Interestingly enough, the hop profile started to get taken over by a strong malt backbone as I finished it off. So it was strange, to me, that it went from being a complete hop bomb to a slightly malty taste. I don't want to say it was a bitter malt taste, because that doesn't really make sense. But when the malts took over you could kind of get a sense that the hops were trying to push their way through. Very interesting!

M: Great mouthfeel. Nice and smooth. A thin coating of the mouth. Enough to let the flavor linger, but not enough to glue your mouth shut.

O: Overall, I found this beer to be very interesting. Very citrus heavy on the nose to nothing but hops for the first half of the beer, to this internal malt vs hop struggle at the end. Would recommend, though I'm not sure how often I would drink this. (1,255 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Lightly burnt orange color with a nice head that thins out to maybe 1/2 an inch or less.

S: One of the best smelling IPAs I have ever had. A great citrus smell with subtle tropical fruit undertones.

T: Similar to the smell, this one starts off with a hoppy citrus taste, however there is not much bitterness, which is a very welcome change for an IPA. There is a slightly sweet malt flavor that turns dry at the end. The end also has a slight astringent taste from the alcohol.

M: medium-light, medium carbonation.

Overall: One of the best IPAs I have ever had. I love the malt character in that it lets the hops do their thing without overpowering, yet when it is time for the malts to play their role, you are impressed with the flavor of the malts. World Class beer from Four Peaks. (795 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -8.1%

On tap at the Tempe brewpub, 4oz sample.

App - gold-amber, clear, head ok.
Aroma - grassy hops. Really, too green.
Flavor - the flavor redeems the aroma. There is sweet malt, but also a ton of hop flavor and solid bitterness. I wish the aroma was this well integrated.
Mouthfeel - medium bodied, smooth with a bit of astringency from all those hops!
Overall -- would be great without that grassy, green aroma. (410 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Pale yellow-orange with some nice lacing around the top rim of my pint glass.

S: Citrius and very heavy pine presence. I detected nearly no malt in the aroma.

T: Very intense first sip, with nice hop resin flavors and pine. Just a hint of malt sweetness.

M: Crisp and bubbly, just as you would expect.

D: There's nothing quite like a fresh, well-made IPA on tap. I can't imagine drinking this out of the bottle, bit if you ever get a chance to try it in-house, don't pass it up. (486 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Definitely a great looking and great tasting IPA. Four Peaks is a great brewery and this beer is an excellent example of their prowess. Taste is balanced between hops and wheat nearly like a white IPA but not quite. It's just robust enough to let you know it's an IPA but it's gentle enough to enjoy time and time again. Outstanding, really and I highly recommend it (367 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

From notes on 12/29/2011

4/5 Pours out a nice dark orange with a two-finger, white head with really good retention.

4/5 Smell is nice strong citrus - mango, grapefruit, orange, etc with a little pine and some caremal from the sweet malts.

4/5 Taste is much like the nose. The citrus is definately there, the pine is a little stronger, and the caremal is there to balance things out really nice.

4/5 Mouthfeel is medium and nice for the style. Really a nice beer that is under the radar. (490 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

poured from a growler (filled at Whole Foods) into a larger tulip glass...

I've had this from a can previously and found it to be an easy-to-drink IPA, not complex, but very well balanced and smooth with a lemony-citrus aftertaste.

tonight, I am compaing it with some other IPA's on tap at Whole Foods: Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Mother Road Lost Highway Black IPA, Dragoon IPA, and the standard for double IPA's Dogfish Head 90. I will also pour a Stone IPA from a bottle before the evening is over...

color and appearance are a dark honey yellow with a head that settles down to about 1/4"

smell is nice, not overwhelming. a blend of the hops used: Cascade, Glacier, Magnum, Liberty, Simcoe

taste is similarly balanced, malt and hops do not overwhelm each other, but complement and result in a very pleasant mouthfeel...

In my search for the perfect IPA, this one is definitely in the top 20, and maybe in the top 10! (925 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

A: pours a clear golden orange color with a white head with a little bit of lacing.

S: All hops. very piney and citrus hops.

T: really flavorful. get the sweet pine flavors and some fruit tones.

M: A lot of carbonation and a very crisp and clean drink.

D: Although its 6.0%, this beer is really drinkable. A solid IPA from AZ. (331 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

I like the fact that I am the first to review this in a can. Heading to Biancos with Jordan after a brief stop at Four Peaks to grab some beers to go.

Appearance: A nice golden color with a slight chill haze to it. Has a bright,egg shell white color head with a half inch cap.

Smell: this is one of my first ipa's in az and one of my fondest memories of a ipa. I've been drinking this one for years and it all goes back to Pizzeria Bianco. The beer has q nice tropical smell to it. Mostly orange rind and grapefruit pith. It is awesome and a great example of how a west coast ipa should smell.

Taste: A nice light citrus taste that consists of orange mostly and other light citrus. Has a light bitter flavor with a light malt and biscuit flavor.

Mouthfeel: nice carbonation that delivers a great flavor of citrus.

Overall. Awesome is the best thing I can say about this local.This is such a smooth flavored IPA that is definitely session worthy. I love drinking this on a hot summer day especially when it is followed up by Biancos. So glad they are canning this finally. Should be in the locals frys within the next couple weeks from what I was told which is going to make one hell of a summer. Thanks Four Peaks! (1,224 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Usually, I'm not a huge fan of hoppy beers, or IPAs in general, but this one is a huge exception. The flavor of the Hop Knot packs a huge punch, and its great hoppy taste sticks around even out of a can. A bit darker in color, but still lighter than the Raj IPA, and emits an aroma of citrus and floral scents. It has a good feel to it, and goes down extremely smooth. (368 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Hop Knot is a great offering from Four Peaks Brewing. Everything a 'hop head' could want in an IPA. Citrus notes definitely dominate here in this golden colored beer. There are hoppier IPA's out there, but this definitely delivers and is a very drinkable variety. Give this one a try and you will not be disappointed. (317 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer is my ideal IPA. A Hoppy, American IPA. Not too bitter so its accessible to non-hop heads. It is a bit sweet, but not overpoweringly. Just balanced and has that lovely pine aroma as you draw your first sip.

There is no better beer on a cold day. (256 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Aroma smells strongly of citrus. Grapefruit is the dominating taste coming from the copious amounts of flavor hops. Bitterness is bellow average for an IPA. Mouthfeel is light to medium. I enjoyed the beer immensely and see this as being interchangeable with Hopslam. (267 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Similar to any other IPA, great. Great lacing. Full thick head.

S: hops up front, sweet, citrus, much sweeter than on-tap.

T: It is one of my favorite beers. Bitter enough. Sweet finish. Pine and citrus tones.

M: Not thick not watery. Smoother out less bite than tap.

D: You reach for your glass and its empty, happened to me ALL the time. (348 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last