Hop Knot - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Hop KnotHop Knot

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Knot Alström Bros
Ratings: 470 | Reviews: 123
3.78/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz Can poured into a Duvel Tulip. Thanks to azdback for the chance to try this one!

Appearance: Bright amber/orange with a nice initial 1" head and a lot of sticky lacing.

Smell: Citrus and piney hops front and center.

Taste: The citrus is grapefruit and that flavor is more forward than the pine resin with which it combines. Nicely built over a bready malt base.

Mouthfeel: Very clean on the finish, highly drinkable.

Overall: A solid IPA and one I'm very happy I had the chance to try.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hop Knot 4.5 across all categories

Light copper in color, nice clarity and lace.
Excellent floral hop aromas with appropriatte malt and caramel malt dash of sweet support. Tastes as it smells with some dark citrus fruit notes.
Very enjoyable IPA, best Four Peaks offering in my opinion. Reminds me of a cross between a lighter more flavorful SN Torpedo. I had this at the brewery and restuarant and it really grew on me. Nice work on this one Four Peaks.

FYI...8th st pale and hop knot are the best to style.

3.77/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Burnished orange hue,1 finger khaki head reduced quickly,some chunky sediment as it is unfiltered,lacing is respectable.

Hops are muted in the aroma: sweet malts are dominant.Not at ALL getting the grapefruit and pine needle vibe in the least. Quite underwhelming.

Taste is a carbon copy of the bland nose: not much going on here other than a bready malt sweetness with a noted lack of true bitterness on the palate. Genuinely unexciting.

Mouthfeel is medium, the sweetness from the malts just steals the show, leaving the hops in the dust.Carbonation appropriate.

How Hop Knot can get a 91 rating while Knee Deep Citra Extra Pale Ale rates an 85 only shows the flaws and biases of the BA rating system. Hop Knot is a solid MEH!

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draft at the Tempe brewery
A- Clear golden hue, big thick white head, thick lacing on the glass
S- Moderate pine resin balanced with sweet grapefruit and bubblegum
T- Sweet citrus and grapefruit dominate initially, opens up to subtle pine and floral hops, finishes with a touch of sweet and bitter hops
M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, moderate carbonation
D- Deliciously sweet IPA, easy drinking and well-balanced, this is a very delicious beer that was one of my favorites while living in Phoenix

4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to stubone for the trade. never tried an az beer before this one.

A: Poured a fairly yellow color with a small, white head measuring less than a finger. Dissipates quickly.

S: Damn! Heavy citrus hops, loaded in grapefruit aroma. Stuff smells like it would cure scurvy in a heartbeat. Aroma is a little one-dimensional but it's incredibly intense and rather mouth-watering.

T: Wow. Sweet and fruity and as said before, intensely hoppy. It's not brutally bitter though, which is nice. It doesn't dry out your mouth and allows that sweetness and citrus to come through more.

M: Maybe a little on the watery side but the hops dance on the palate wonderfully.

D: Could certainly drink plenty of this, even though it's nearly a grapefruit beer. It's very very tasty.

12oz can into a tulip

A- Pours a translucent amber color with a 1/2 fingers worth of tight white bubbles that quickly recede. Leaves some nice lacing.

S- A perfume-like bouquet sweet citrus and juicy tropical fruits. Orange juice and pineapple stick out to me. A small amount of malt dances with an even smaller amount of resiny bitterness. The way I like my IPAs to smell.

T- Surprise! First taste is a hit of bitter resinous hops followed by all the sweet juicy fruits I had on the nose. The fruitiness really hits hard and comes on strong until the end. At that point the two flavors of bitter and sweet waltz off into the sunset. This IPA is right up my alley.

M- Dare I say this is almost a light bodied brew. I think the carbonation plays a big part in the mouthfeel since it's so aggressive. Cleans everything up nicely though.

O- This is easily the tastiest and most refreshing IPA I've had so far. Skewed more towards the sweet side, but hey that's what pleases me. Almost touches Alpha King in my book (should be an IPA).

4.92/5  rDev +23.6%

Appearance - Clear, bronze color with an inch thich white head. Very nice lacing.

Smell - Huge floral, spicy, herbal, green, fresh hop aroma. Dominate Cascade and Fuggle hop profile shinning through. This is how I want an Pale Ale to smell. Borderline IPA. Fantastic, intoxicating aroma.

Taste - Nearly as perfect. Quite possible my favorite Pale Ale ever. Like the aroma, huge floral, green, spicy hop flavors with a solid malt base that balances the hops perfectly.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean finish. Lovely hop flavor with minimal residual bitterness. Fantastic.

Drinkability - Fab-u-lous! I wish this was local and I could have it when ever I wanted.

4.69/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a golden honey color with a white head that dissipates pretty quick but remains an oily film across the top. Smells of HUGE hops, green, bitter, fresh, pine-y hops. I felt like i just laid down face first in a barrel of hop flowers. Taste is well, HOPS. It is loaded with pine-y, green hops that are oily and mouthcoating, but surprisingly not as bitter I as expected. It seems you can add a TON of hops without getting too much bitterness!

These are now being bottled, only available at the brewery for now, and at only 36.50 a case it is, by far, the best bottled beer made in arizona. I am happy this is FINALLY in the bottle. I plan on keeping a steady supply in my fridge. IMHO this can compete with the "big boys" around the country and at around 1.50 a bottle I suddenly dont feel the need to seek out other stuff from around the country.. this is my new "go to" IPA!

4.24/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Can poured into pint glass. Thanks to azdback for sending this as an extra.

A. Golden with very subtle orange hue. Virtually no head but a lot of small bubbles and substantial carbonation. Very clear.

S. Pungent Citrus and Pine hop aroma balanced by Mango Tangerine and orange coming through.

T. Well balanced, hop forward, but clean without a bitter mouthfeel lingering. Balance is excellent between the hops and malt.

M. Crisp and smooth, carbonation a little too bubbly but it helps bring the hops through from start to finish.

O. Very Good IPA, reminds me of a blend of Abrasive and Furious. Wish this was available locally.

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Received this one as an extra, I wish I took better notes so that I could thank whoever it was, but you're out there and Cheers to trading anyway!

Pours a very nice golden hue with a nice bubbly head that dissipates into a reasonably thick crown. Carbonation is very active in my Samuel Adams sensory glass.

Smell is actually very close to DIPA territory, pretty potent stuff. Hop sweetness is prevalent, mostly of the citrus and pine resin variety.

Taste, while more potent than most IPAs is still weak for my DIPA battered palate, but what is there is quite tasty and even refreshing for IPA standards. For specifics, see the smell, but this is sweeter and more drinkable than a lot of other IPAs that I find too puckeringly bitter.

Mouth is thin to medium in body and reasonably heavy on the carbonation. Works well here.

A very drinkable IPA and I'm pretty sad that I will probably not have the opportunity to try this one again, but glad I had this one chance. Very good stuff.

3.98/5  rDev 0%

Had this from the cask at Four Peaks in Tempe...poured into an Imperial pint glass.

Appearance is light copper color, about a 1/2 finger head, cascading down the glass. Smells like an IPA should...hoppy, citrusy, a little piney...the cask conditioning gives it a bit sweeter smell, and a bit more murky appearance.

This tastes great. I had a taste of the regular Hop Knot, and it was good. But, cask-conditioning makes this beer stand out. it's just cool enough to be refreshing, and a lot of the beer's flavors come through very well. There are some bittersweet notes here...and the malts seem to be very well balanced with the hops. They boast that this is brewed with four different hops at four different times throughout the brewing process...not too out of the ordinary...and this has turned into quite a delicious beer our here in the desert.

Overall, I could drink this all night. I really like what the cask conditioning gives to this beer...and if I could, I would take a growler back on the plane with me!

4.21/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - 4 - Great looking beer with thick white head that leaves huge lacing. Golden-amber color like most ipas, crystal clear.
S - 4.25 - Huge grapefruit and citrus zest. Pineapple, smells super fresh.
T - 4.25 - Great grapefruit, citrus zest, mango and pineapple. Tastes a little like a great homebrewed IPA. Very sweet caramel malt background.
M - 4 - light-medium mouthfeel, aftertaste is sweet malt with grapefruit/pineapple/mango flavors. VERY fresh. alc covered well.
O - 4.25 - Great beer. Proud to say it's from Arizona.

4.69/5  rDev +17.8%

I just bought my first case of the newly-bottled stuff, and I wasn't planning on reviewing it again, but this is worthy. It's even better out of the bottle than the on-tap serving I had in Tempe last month. The color is a deep, rich yellow, quarter inch of white head. Smells intensely of piney hops. One of the greatest aromas I've ever experienced from a beer. Tastes of citrus, with some grapefruit and maybe a bit of orange in there, but not the overwhelming bitterness you get sometimes. Carbonation is right on the money. One of the most drinakble IPA's I've had. I had Pliney the Elder on tap in San Diego this past summer, and for my money, this is actually a tad better when it's this fresh. Nice job, Four Peaks!

4.07/5  rDev +2.3%

a: pours a nice deep golden color.. solid finger worth of head.. some bubbles streaming up..

s: right away i got hit with that signature cat-piss simcoe aroma.. fresh green grass hop as well.. also some overall fruitiness with an almost cake-like aroma..

t: upfront is that green leafy/wet hoppiness..then you get hit with some mild citrus & some fruitiness.. some caramel malt also pulls through.. finish is semi-bitter with mild citrus rind bitterness..

mf: light-medium body with an almost crisp feel.

o: solid ipa for arizona.. not sure on the freshness.. cant wait for this to be start rolling out in cans!!

4.11/5  rDev +3.3%

I've enjoyed many a pint of this beer but this review is of my first bottle of it. Got a case at the brewery in Tempe. It is a light golden almost straw like yellow. Unlike the many pints I've had the head was rather small, probably due to having a lower co2 content than the draft. Other than that though the taste was the same as draft. Some malt but mostly plenty of hop flavor and a nice easy drinking bitterness. Some citrus and grassy hop flavor. Aroma is like that of a fresh cut lawn, grassy. A well balanced easy drinking beer.

4.59/5  rDev +15.3%

Bought the newly produced cans on Saturday the 21st, so about a week ago. That was the release date so you know it's nice and fresh. Wish they had some kind of dating on the cans though. Poured into a regular old pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice light golden clear color with about a finger's worth of white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Head diminishes to a nice light film over top with a few bubbles here and there.

Smell - Literally the first thing that comes to mind is DANK! Another descriptor would be oily/resiny! There's a good reason for this description as hops (Humulus lupulus) are in the same family (Cannabaceae) as marijuana (Cannabis sativa). I just don't understand it, but I love this smell (can't lie, I've smelled weed and love that smell too). Just something about it. Anyways you also get that nice floral and citrusy IPA smell. It's got a good amount of tropical/grapefruit and citrus to it and some sweetness smell as well. Seems like everytime I have this, I end up with a nose full of foam because I can't help but keep sticking my nose in it again and again! Grassy smell is in there a bit also, but they use like 7 different kinds of hops. Not surprising. I could literally bathe in that smell. If someone made a cologne that smelled like this, I'd probably never be without it. This is probably the epitome of what I think an IPA should smell like. I love it.

Taste - Seems like the taste is just what you'd expect from the smell. There's citrus goodness, like orange and some other light citrus, with some tropical fruit and herbal notes. Burps bring out the best of it, and some pine. Also the malt bill is there enough to be nice and balanced and make it not too bitter or biting and give it some bready or biscuity notes. This is a strong IPA but seems pretty well balanced as well, if that makes sense. Taste is very good, but not quite amazing. Probably a 4.5 out of 5.0.

Mouthfeel - Feels great. Nice and light medium bodied for an IPA, with a crispness and carbonation level a bit above creamy, probably medium carbonation. Basically very drinkable. And at 6.7% ABV, it's something I can drink a 64 oz growler of over the course of 3-4 hours. It's just that good and drinkable. Finish is lighter but not on the dry side. Leaves my palate wet with anticipation of the next sip every damn time.

Overall - Sometimes I really hate living in Arizona. The heat drives me crazy, I can't stand it. But as long as I'm here and Four Peaks is too, my go-to local beer will be Hop Knot and it makes living here pretty worthwhile. I've got a few Four Peaks growlers, one of which is designated for nothing but Hop Knot. And it gets used fairly often. The fact that cans will now be readily available kind of leaves my growler feeling threatened. But you know you really can't beat the freshness of a straight from the tap growler fill on the weekend. Basically, if you're in the valley and enjoy IPAs, this brew is NOT TO BE MISSED! 4.5 out of 5.0!

3.97/5  rDev -0.3%

Big Thanks to aandresen for this extra.12 oz can poured into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp.

A. Clear golden color body looks crisp, Bid 2 and a half finger off white head.Very healthy carbonation.Sticky lacing.

S. Very nice,very piney and good amount of grapefruit and pineapple.Little bit of lemon and grass in the back end.

T. Bitter pine and grapefruit a small amount of passion fruit and floral hops.Balences out nicely.Dry finish.

M. Weakest part of this beer.Pretty thin and light on the palate.Good carbonation.

Overall very good IPA,pretty straight forward.Very drinkable and refreshing.I would buy a case of this if I could get it.I recommend.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Taken from notes 10/8/10

A - Clear and bright yellowish orange with a tiny white head that leaves rather quickly

S - Big piney and citrus hops. Very nice nose, almost no malt just luscious hops

T - Piney and grassy hops from start to finish with a touch of fruity hops only after your palate adjusts. The finish is dry and grassy but not overyly dry.

M - A light IPA, very crisp and dry. High carb

D - I couldn't put this down. I really enjoy all the hops from the nose to the finish.

I was impressed by the balance of hops in this beer. Very nice array of hops from pine to grass to fruit...a very solid American IPA

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Six pack of cans from TW

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Two 12oz bottles courtesy of the Arizona legend Tayner.

One of those bottles poured into a Four Peaks pint glass. Man I love branded glassware.

Smell, Wow. Big citrus hops with piney hops thrown into the mix.

Taste, is there malt in this brew? Big citrus and piney hops dominate. A firm malt backbone though keeps this beer in check. Aromatic and Crystal malt keeps this beer balanced and lends mucho complexity. Very forthright hop presence keeps smacking my taste buds around, while the sweet malt tries in vain to reign them in.

Overall, I don't know how to sum this up. Big citrus hops combined with a firm malt backbone. Pliny? Dreadnaught? Leatherlips? I'm sorry, but for the ABV you don't stand a chance. I'm adding this as a permanent "Wants". Wow is all I can say. Kudos to the brewers for masking such awesome hop presence.

I have a new favorite IPA. Sorry Leatherlips and Finest Kind IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. It pours a light yellow. Nice fingers worth of white head. Big hop aroma as it should. The taste is clean and mild. Not what I was expecting with a name like hop knot. I think most of the hops were put in the hopback and not much in the boil. At only 47 ibu it seems almost like more of a pale ale. It is quite tasty though. It's a beer I enjoy drinking while I'm in AZ.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

APPEARANCE: This beer, poured from a tap at the brewery's restaurant, came to our table with an approximately 1/4" thin white head that dissipated quickly with virtually no head lacing. Carbonation was light and the body was a clear golden hue with orange highlights.

AROMA: There was a light aroma of sweet malt in the background with heavy aromas of citrus, floral and pine, and lighter overlays of grass and orange. The aroma was quite potent, nearly what you might expect from a DIPA.

TASTE: Taste followed the nose here with the exception that there was a slight taste of alcohol -- all in all, a pleasing taste for an American IPA.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer had a medium body and a slightly oily texture, carbonation that was quite lively, virtually no body lacing, and a moderately bitter aftertaste. The initial flavor was moderately bitter with a light sweetness to it, while the finish was heavily bitter with a light dryness to it.

DRINKABILITY: This was a very nice West Coast IPA. The high carbonation added a little zing to the tongue. It had a nice balance between the hops and alcohol -- not overpowering at all and quite drinkable. I'd like to have another. Would I buy it again? Sure, if I'm ever in the Phoenix area.

4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Head was low and died quickly, but there was good lacing. Clear gold with a touch of copper. S: The hops come through with sweet citrus--like orange or tangerine--and there was also a bit of malty sweetness. T: Wow. The sharpness was there, but in a good way, the flavors danced through various citrus and florals, but there weren't crazy and there was enough malt--both up front and then underneath the hops to keep things in balance. M: Moderate, and not too drying. D: I actually puled back on tis rating to be fair. First, it was a wicked hot Tempe summer day, so the beeriness along made it drinkable. Don't get me wrong, though. If I lived in Tempe, I'd be drinking a lot of these.

4.24/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got this courtesy of Phelps - thanks Zach!

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - A medium to deep amber with a one finger creamy head. Nice retention and adequate lacing throughout.

S - Very nice! Fruity aroma with grapefruit up front and some piney hops and trace of floral. Smell persisted until the end.

T - Taste similar to the smell. Hop bitterness mingled with fruitiness and a light malt presence. No pronounced lingering bitterness. Very good balance.

M- Fairly light with medium carbonation. I normally like a little more body with my IPA's but this one was just about right for this long hot summer.

O - I liked this brew. It would be a regular in the fridge if available locally, especially during hot weather. Recommend!

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz bottle courtesy of Tayner (also got one from Justn!) in a trade. I loved the first one and decided to review the second bottle she sent. No date on the bottle, but it was relatively fresh when Tayner sent it and it's been in the fridge ever since.

a- pours clear, rather pale, with a fluffy 2 finger head

s- citrusy hops, but not overly sharp, coming from the west I set the bar high and it doesn't disappoint

t- hop forward profile, with a small amount of citrus, and surprisingly balanced given the origin. Could be sharper on the hops

m- fluffy feeling, good carbonation for the style

d- very drinkable, 6% abv so I could have a few of these. That said, not the most drinkable IPA I've had.

overall a very enjoyable beer. I wouldn't go out of my way for this, and it's not irreplaceable, but I'd love to have this as a local/standby...thanks Tayner! We'll have to see how this compares to leatherlips, which I sent her.

Hop Knot from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery