Hop Knot - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Hop KnotHop Knot

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Knot Alström Bros
portia99

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz can received yesterday from BOLTZ7555 in a great trade! This is a Phoenix local favorite for me that I've been jones-ing for lately - glad to have a full six pack in my fridge. Poured into a Brooklyn snifter.

A - Pours a well hazed pale orangey golden color with a low half finger of short lived foam. Only a small collar of bubbles is left around the edge of the glass.

S - Fruity, grassy, estery. More malty than I remember too...has a definite underpinning of caramel malt at the base that the hops don't quite overcome.

T - Malty sweet base to this one...mid-level bitterness and lots of grassy and fruity hops come thru and balance the prominant malt pretty well.

M - Medium bodied with a medium level carbonation as well. Smooth and balanced...wish more of the hops would come thru here.

O - Hmm, not quite the same beer I'm used to having on tap at the brewpub. No date on the can so hard to know how fresh it is. A little bit of a letdown, but good to have this Phoenix favorite at home...especially on a 90 degree, Arizona like weather day.

08-26-2011 23:43:48 | More by portia99
turfy

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got this courtesy of Phelps - thanks Zach!

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - A medium to deep amber with a one finger creamy head. Nice retention and adequate lacing throughout.

S - Very nice! Fruity aroma with grapefruit up front and some piney hops and trace of floral. Smell persisted until the end.

T - Taste similar to the smell. Hop bitterness mingled with fruitiness and a light malt presence. No pronounced lingering bitterness. Very good balance.

M- Fairly light with medium carbonation. I normally like a little more body with my IPA's but this one was just about right for this long hot summer.

O - I liked this brew. It would be a regular in the fridge if available locally, especially during hot weather. Recommend!

08-25-2011 00:08:16 | More by turfy
woodychandler

4.03/5  rDev 0%

The CANQuest (TM) is literally all over the map today, splitting time between China and Arizona. My helmsman and navigator are at their wits end and so I have decided to solve this Gordian Knot by making thirty (30)-plus knots back to Arizona following our most recent visit to China. It is a knotty problem, would you knot agree?

Not for the kiddies: Popeye awakes in the Old Salts' Home on the morning of his eightieth birthday and notices that he is sporting morning wood. This has not happened for some time and since Olive Oyl has passed on, he decides to hit the stroll, whereupon he hears a familiar cry, "Hey, sailor, how about a date?!?" Instinctively, he knows that the young woman is not proffering a piece of fruit and takes her up on her offer. Soon, they are in a nearby room with an hourly rate and he is bobbing and thrusting as though he were a ship in high seas. He looks down at his friend and asks, "Hey, baby, how am I doing?" She looks up with disdain and replies, "Well, sailor, let me put it in terms you'll understand. You're doing three knots!" "Three knots!" he thinks, excited that he is doing so well in his advanced age, until she continues. "Yes, three knots - you're knot up, you're knot in and you're definitely knot getting your money back!"

Hop Knot? Why knot! Back on AmeriCAN soil, thanks to bennetj17, we employ the Crack & Glug with the best of them. We have tied up to the pier using the dreaded Gopher Knot, a complicated knot like the Gordian Knot, that will require someone to go fer their knife/sword/axe when we next get underway. I had a fizzy finger of ecru head that was briefer than MacBeth's candle. Color was an orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was quite pine-y and a welcome change from both Lychee perfume and sea salt. My mouth began to water. It had a big, resinous mouthfeel to go along with its intense pine taste. This is the kind of beer that got me hooked on hops and I could hear echoes of the Hop Monkey that used to ride around on my back, chattering and howling incessantly. Finish was likewise free and easy with the hops and China's Siren call could be heard yet again. Licking my lips, I signaled for the Deck crew to bring in the lines as I savored those delicious hops and why knot? It might be a while before I could get any again ...

08-14-2011 20:05:08 | More by woodychandler
jeffaz02t

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Lightly burnt orange color with a nice head that thins out to maybe 1/2 an inch or less.

S: One of the best smelling IPAs I have ever had. A great citrus smell with subtle tropical fruit undertones.

T: Similar to the smell, this one starts off with a hoppy citrus taste, however there is not much bitterness, which is a very welcome change for an IPA. There is a slightly sweet malt flavor that turns dry at the end. The end also has a slight astringent taste from the alcohol.

M: medium-light, medium carbonation.

Overall: One of the best IPAs I have ever had. I love the malt character in that it lets the hops do their thing without overpowering, yet when it is time for the malts to play their role, you are impressed with the flavor of the malts. World Class beer from Four Peaks.

08-11-2011 17:52:22 | More by jeffaz02t
womencantsail

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks, Bobby.

A: The beer pours a slightly hazed orange color with a finger of white head.

S: A decent bit of citrus to the aroma. Lots of grapefruit, which is nice, and a bit of tangerine. Fairly heavy on the pine and an almost perfumey floral note. Light malt aroma of bread.

T: Somewhat sweet bready malt with a touch of toast and toffee. Grapefruit and orange peel with a moderate bitterness. Not a very intense hoppiness, but the flavors are good enough.

M: Medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

O: A decent IPA, but it didn't really blow me away.

08-10-2011 05:46:44 | More by womencantsail
stxSS07

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz can into a tulip

A- Pours a translucent amber color with a 1/2 fingers worth of tight white bubbles that quickly recede. Leaves some nice lacing.

S- A perfume-like bouquet sweet citrus and juicy tropical fruits. Orange juice and pineapple stick out to me. A small amount of malt dances with an even smaller amount of resiny bitterness. The way I like my IPAs to smell.

T- Surprise! First taste is a hit of bitter resinous hops followed by all the sweet juicy fruits I had on the nose. The fruitiness really hits hard and comes on strong until the end. At that point the two flavors of bitter and sweet waltz off into the sunset. This IPA is right up my alley.

M- Dare I say this is almost a light bodied brew. I think the carbonation plays a big part in the mouthfeel since it's so aggressive. Cleans everything up nicely though.

O- This is easily the tastiest and most refreshing IPA I've had so far. Skewed more towards the sweet side, but hey that's what pleases me. Almost touches Alpha King in my book (should be an IPA).

07-27-2011 05:32:54 | More by stxSS07
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.
Another one thanks to marqoid.

A - Pours a lighter, almost clear orange with a one finger cream colored head. Good retention and some lacing left on the glass.

S - Very piney and grassy.

T - Pine, grass, and some strong floral type flavors.

D - Medium carbonation, lighter body.

O - Love the flavors of this one!

07-16-2011 02:32:58 | More by HuskyinPDX
wethorseblanket

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Got home and surprise! Found in bag after Stone Sour Fest last weekend.

Thanks Sean - you sly trickster you.

A: Pours a slightly hazy yellowish orange under a decent white head which fades slowely and leaves nice lacing on the way down.

N: Wow! Passion fruit, mango, citrus and grapefruit - just a tropical delight.

T: Follows the nose. Floral with pine on the finish and some sweet maltiness. Resiny, dank, sticky.

M: Moderate carb and dry, slightly bitter finish.

O: Very nice indeed. I need to get some more of this. Note: searched for a freshness date but could not find. I wonder when this was canned? Must be freshy fresh. Drink this one nice and cold on a warm day. Enjoy

07-02-2011 02:00:31 | More by wethorseblanket
Marty30

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Big Thanks to aandresen for this extra.12 oz can poured into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp.

A. Clear golden color body looks crisp, Bid 2 and a half finger off white head.Very healthy carbonation.Sticky lacing.

S. Very nice,very piney and good amount of grapefruit and pineapple.Little bit of lemon and grass in the back end.

T. Bitter pine and grapefruit a small amount of passion fruit and floral hops.Balences out nicely.Dry finish.

M. Weakest part of this beer.Pretty thin and light on the palate.Good carbonation.

Overall very good IPA,pretty straight forward.Very drinkable and refreshing.I would buy a case of this if I could get it.I recommend.

06-23-2011 01:03:57 | More by Marty30
bennetj17

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours leaving little head unfortunately, though it has somewhat lively carbonation throughout. The color is very golden, it looks more like a Pils than an IPA. The aroma yields a citrus hop bouquet, with a watermelon twang plus a strong balance of caramel malt sweetness. It lacks enough intensity to really draw me in however.

The flavor is sort of one dimensional as it never seems to round itself out in the finish. From start to back it's a tangy fruit, herbal, hop dominant beer with moderate bitterness creeping in slowly. It stays pretty clean in flavor and is also more refreshing due to a lighter mouthfeel that's not syrupy like some IPA's get. Decent carbonation.

Overall one of the better Arizona brewed beers, but it's a notch below many fine craft IPA's. I'd probably buy more of it but for $18.99 a 12-pack it doesn't give me an incentive to choose it over say, Odell IPA or something like that. I like the cans though, it definitely was fresh too.

06-11-2011 05:17:56 | More by bennetj17
ocelot2500

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a clear golden color with a tight, white head that leaves a nice sheet of lacing.

Smells of bright citrus hops.

Tastes of the bright hops with a solid malt base. Hops hits first with notes of grapefruit, pine, and some tropical fruits. Malts add some brown sugar, caramel, and bread on the end. Solidly bitter.

Mouthfeel is medium with a slightly smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, a good IPA that is more than worth the price, and could be great if some tweaks were made to the recipe.

06-05-2011 03:37:33 | More by ocelot2500
arizcards

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 12 pack at Total Wine Saturday for $17.99.

Beer poured golden with a white head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is wonderful, full of fresh citrus and tropical hops.

Taste is pretty well balanced, pale malts create a nice baseline for the wonderful blend of mango and citrus hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall this is a solid beer, the best year round brew from Arizona. Definitiely try this if you have the opportunity!

05-30-2011 22:49:03 | More by arizcards
matttttYCE

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Bought the newly produced cans on Saturday the 21st, so about a week ago. That was the release date so you know it's nice and fresh. Wish they had some kind of dating on the cans though. Poured into a regular old pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice light golden clear color with about a finger's worth of white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Head diminishes to a nice light film over top with a few bubbles here and there.

Smell - Literally the first thing that comes to mind is DANK! Another descriptor would be oily/resiny! There's a good reason for this description as hops (Humulus lupulus) are in the same family (Cannabaceae) as marijuana (Cannabis sativa). I just don't understand it, but I love this smell (can't lie, I've smelled weed and love that smell too). Just something about it. Anyways you also get that nice floral and citrusy IPA smell. It's got a good amount of tropical/grapefruit and citrus to it and some sweetness smell as well. Seems like everytime I have this, I end up with a nose full of foam because I can't help but keep sticking my nose in it again and again! Grassy smell is in there a bit also, but they use like 7 different kinds of hops. Not surprising. I could literally bathe in that smell. If someone made a cologne that smelled like this, I'd probably never be without it. This is probably the epitome of what I think an IPA should smell like. I love it.

Taste - Seems like the taste is just what you'd expect from the smell. There's citrus goodness, like orange and some other light citrus, with some tropical fruit and herbal notes. Burps bring out the best of it, and some pine. Also the malt bill is there enough to be nice and balanced and make it not too bitter or biting and give it some bready or biscuity notes. This is a strong IPA but seems pretty well balanced as well, if that makes sense. Taste is very good, but not quite amazing. Probably a 4.5 out of 5.0.

Mouthfeel - Feels great. Nice and light medium bodied for an IPA, with a crispness and carbonation level a bit above creamy, probably medium carbonation. Basically very drinkable. And at 6.7% ABV, it's something I can drink a 64 oz growler of over the course of 3-4 hours. It's just that good and drinkable. Finish is lighter but not on the dry side. Leaves my palate wet with anticipation of the next sip every damn time.

Overall - Sometimes I really hate living in Arizona. The heat drives me crazy, I can't stand it. But as long as I'm here and Four Peaks is too, my go-to local beer will be Hop Knot and it makes living here pretty worthwhile. I've got a few Four Peaks growlers, one of which is designated for nothing but Hop Knot. And it gets used fairly often. The fact that cans will now be readily available kind of leaves my growler feeling threatened. But you know you really can't beat the freshness of a straight from the tap growler fill on the weekend. Basically, if you're in the valley and enjoy IPAs, this brew is NOT TO BE MISSED! 4.5 out of 5.0!

05-30-2011 08:22:15 | More by matttttYCE
yemenmocha

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

No freshness date. Can format.

Pours a honey golden hue, translucent and bright, with generous white head. Lots of lacing and creamy goodness on the head. Nose is a delight with some tangerine, maybe peachy-pear, and light herbal component. On the palate is a hop focused citrusy flavor that is delicious, herbal hop components kicking in, and just enough malt to keep it civilized. Nice bitter tingle on the finish.

Only negative is that it is incredibly watery & light. Head to head with regional IPA's makes this characteristic stand out quite prominently.

05-28-2011 19:16:36 | More by yemenmocha
aval89

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

a: pours a nice deep golden color.. solid finger worth of head.. some bubbles streaming up..

s: right away i got hit with that signature cat-piss simcoe aroma.. fresh green grass hop as well.. also some overall fruitiness with an almost cake-like aroma..

t: upfront is that green leafy/wet hoppiness..then you get hit with some mild citrus & some fruitiness.. some caramel malt also pulls through.. finish is semi-bitter with mild citrus rind bitterness..

mf: light-medium body with an almost crisp feel.

o: solid ipa for arizona.. not sure on the freshness.. cant wait for this to be start rolling out in cans!!

05-25-2011 10:52:01 | More by aval89
Rampage1

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

I like the fact that I am the first to review this in a can. Heading to Biancos with Jordan after a brief stop at Four Peaks to grab some beers to go.

Appearance: A nice golden color with a slight chill haze to it. Has a bright,egg shell white color head with a half inch cap.

Smell: this is one of my first ipa's in az and one of my fondest memories of a ipa. I've been drinking this one for years and it all goes back to Pizzeria Bianco. The beer has q nice tropical smell to it. Mostly orange rind and grapefruit pith. It is awesome and a great example of how a west coast ipa should smell.

Taste: A nice light citrus taste that consists of orange mostly and other light citrus. Has a light bitter flavor with a light malt and biscuit flavor.

Mouthfeel: nice carbonation that delivers a great flavor of citrus.

Overall. Awesome is the best thing I can say about this local.This is such a smooth flavored IPA that is definitely session worthy. I love drinking this on a hot summer day especially when it is followed up by Biancos. So glad they are canning this finally. Should be in the locals frys within the next couple weeks from what I was told which is going to make one hell of a summer. Thanks Four Peaks!

05-21-2011 20:37:05 | More by Rampage1
azdback

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Just picked this one up at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale. Poured into a Spaten tumbler glass. Light, clear orange color. Medium carbonation bubbles with a one finger bright white head. Looking pretty sticky now.

Smell is an overpowering green, leafy, wet hop aroma. Citrus smells of yellow grapefruit rind.

Taste is over the top. Just a fresh, green, resiny, oily hop taste. Tart orange flavor. The only other beer I have had with this hop profile is Abrasive. Just fantastic.

Mouth is what it should be for the style. Bright and easy to drink. Rich and not a bit watery anywhere in the swallow. Very enjoyable!!!

Overall I feel like a douchebag!! This has been in my backyard for many years and I just tried it? I was told but didn't believe. A fantastic representation of the style and a must try if you are in the Phoenix metro area!!

05-13-2011 07:03:30 | More by azdback
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours golden with a somewhat scant head. Nice fresh aromas of hay, wax, citrusy and piney hops. Well balanced. The taste is equally balanced. A tad on the grainy side, but lightly resinous hops with a waxy, citrus zing and some light pine and earth give a reasonable level of bitterness, and a certain moreish quality. Quite tasty, and nice to see this in the bottle.

04-13-2011 02:59:46 | More by Georgiabeer
swthomas55

3.83/5  rDev -5%

On tap at the Tempe brewpub, 4oz sample.

App - gold-amber, clear, head ok.
Aroma - grassy hops. Really, too green.
Flavor - the flavor redeems the aroma. There is sweet malt, but also a ton of hop flavor and solid bitterness. I wish the aroma was this well integrated.
Mouthfeel - medium bodied, smooth with a bit of astringency from all those hops!
Overall -- would be great without that grassy, green aroma.

03-27-2011 04:34:48 | More by swthomas55
jth218

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Similar to any other IPA, great. Great lacing. Full thick head.

S: hops up front, sweet, citrus, much sweeter than on-tap.

T: It is one of my favorite beers. Bitter enough. Sweet finish. Pine and citrus tones.

M: Not thick not watery. Smoother out less bite than tap.

D: You reach for your glass and its empty, happened to me ALL the time.

Serving type: cask

03-04-2011 03:11:22 | More by jth218
rjochman

4.03/5  rDev 0%

A: pours a clear golden orange color with a white head with a little bit of lacing.

S: All hops. very piney and citrus hops.

T: really flavorful. get the sweet pine flavors and some fruit tones.

M: A lot of carbonation and a very crisp and clean drink.

D: Although its 6.0%, this beer is really drinkable. A solid IPA from AZ.

01-29-2011 16:26:50 | More by rjochman
dbraz45

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Hop Knot is a great offering from Four Peaks Brewing. Everything a 'hop head' could want in an IPA. Citrus notes definitely dominate here in this golden colored beer. There are hoppier IPA's out there, but this definitely delivers and is a very drinkable variety. Give this one a try and you will not be disappointed.

01-03-2011 01:41:50 | More by dbraz45
corby112

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

From notes:

12 oz bottle received as an extra. Pours a very slight hazy pale golden yellow color with two finger frothy white head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Minimal spots of lacing.

Very bland aroma that isn't very hoppy. Slightly floral with pale malt and light citrus fruit notes in the nose.

Medium bodied with some earthy bitter hops up front that are quickly countered by a pilsner malt like backbone. Slightly earthy/piny before with hints of subtle citrus. Crisp and easy to drink with a slightly dry finish but nor very exciting.

12-28-2010 02:29:27 | More by corby112
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz thanks to Phelps in Blind Beers BIF III.

Blind review.

A- Nice filtered pale golden color, thin but lasting head, sticky but spotty lacing. 2nd pour kicks up a bit more head.

S- Tropical fruity hops, nice resiny sticky hop nug aromas.

T- IPA for sure, good fruity bouquet and great clean bitterness. Tangerine, honeydew, mango/papaya. Pretty pale, no heavy malts here.

M- Mot much malt, drying, def. a west coast interpretation of an IPA. Really easy to drink.

D- High.. Easy drinking, low ABV, strong hops. Hop profile kind of reminds me of sculpin (nowhere near as intense though). I enjoyed this one a lot- if this is available to you locally, buy some.

12-18-2010 00:32:14 | More by ShogoKawada
Lucklys

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

On tap, it arrived at our table glowing a clear golden-copper amber and held a finger-thick off-white head that filled what little space was available above the beer (my only complaint, really, but technically I got more beer). The head was fueled by multiple steady streams of carbonation that lasted throughout the drink and provided ample support to the amazing sheets of sticky lacing that graced the glass while I sipped on it. Awesome head retention and lacing? A great way to start a beer off, in my opinion.

I held my nose over the brew and caught huge whiffs of orange peel and grapefruit zest, pine needle hops, and some faint grassy-malt sweetness underneath. The lively bitterness almost made it seem fizzy in my nose, but it was a welcome vivacity from an IPA and was very reminiscent of summer.

Eager to bathe my taste buds in the hoppy glory that was emanating from the Hop Knot, I first had to get over how super quaffable the brew was. This is some seriously smooth beer. It flooded my mouth with just enough piney, resiny hops, orange peel and grapefruit zest without overwhelming my senses. It was freshly bitter and bright without too much bite thanks to the lightly caramel sweet malts that made a quick appearance before the grand finale. Throughout the drink, the bitterness briskly jigged with the finely-bubbled peppy carbonation, creating a lighter mouthfeel (among a medium body) and leaving my tongue feeling awake and refreshed. And despite all of the happy hops jumping around between my cheeks, the ending was nice and smooth with a clean aftertaste.

12-01-2010 17:37:18 | More by Lucklys