1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Knot - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Hop KnotHop Knot

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003)
Ratings: 313 | Reviews: 110 | Show All Ratings:
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Hop Knot looks like the only thing it's entangled was sunlight; a brilliantly bright golden colour practically leaps out of the glass, even against the light of a completely overcast sky. The perfectly clear beer shows just a hint of carbonation, with few visible bubbles and not much by of head. Certainly no lacing ever take shape.

American IPAs are all about hops and this one must have more Cascade and Liberty and Simcoe in its little finger than some do in their entire body. I could smell the citric juices right from the pour, without even having to hold the glass to my nose. I'm surprised the neighbor across the street hasn't commented on smelling them yet.

My first sip reminded me of exactly what I love about this style: the flavour of toasty malt covered in citrus-y hop resins. It may be an acquired taste, but once one does acquire it there's simply no going back to lesser flavourful things. The tastes of cantaloupe, lemon, lychee and grapefruit are too delicious not to include in an IPA recipe.

Hop Knot is indeed a hop-dominated experience as advertised, but its pine and citrus elements carry little bitterness. Some brewers go overboard on the kettle hops, leaving the sensation that your tongue's been put through a sausage grinder. Here, however, caramel malt can do its thing and there's hop flavour, but without the stinging, raspy bite.

IPAs are to American craft brewers what gladiator fighting was to ancient Romans. Hence, a lot of breweries have gotten out of control trying to produce the biggest, boldest hop bomb on the market. Four Peaks, however, includes all the confidence and character without any of the aggression. Fans of Bell's Two Hearted, Ballast Point Big Eye or Russian River Blind Pig will find a lot familiar here. Greatly enjoyed and surely recommended!

10-11-2011 20:27:33 | More by biegaman
doughanson78

Washington

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Got from Phelps in the Tickers BIF.

A: Yellowish orange color, with nice clarity. About a half finger white head, that fades fairly quickly. Not much lacing.

S: Nice citrus and floral hops, that are not over the top, light grapefruit and pineapple. The caramel malts blend nicely with the hop profile.

T: Nice caramel sweetness upfront and throughout. A good mix of citrus and floral hop bitterness, that doesn't overpower and allows the caramel malts to linger on the front of the tongue while the bitterness lingers in the back.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly creamy. Decent dryness.

O: A very good IPA. Not the best but solid nonetheless. Very well blended and refreshing.

09-24-2011 21:11:39 | More by doughanson78
portia99

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz can received yesterday from BOLTZ7555 in a great trade! This is a Phoenix local favorite for me that I've been jones-ing for lately - glad to have a full six pack in my fridge. Poured into a Brooklyn snifter.

A - Pours a well hazed pale orangey golden color with a low half finger of short lived foam. Only a small collar of bubbles is left around the edge of the glass.

S - Fruity, grassy, estery. More malty than I remember too...has a definite underpinning of caramel malt at the base that the hops don't quite overcome.

T - Malty sweet base to this one...mid-level bitterness and lots of grassy and fruity hops come thru and balance the prominant malt pretty well.

M - Medium bodied with a medium level carbonation as well. Smooth and balanced...wish more of the hops would come thru here.

O - Hmm, not quite the same beer I'm used to having on tap at the brewpub. No date on the can so hard to know how fresh it is. A little bit of a letdown, but good to have this Phoenix favorite at home...especially on a 90 degree, Arizona like weather day.

08-26-2011 23:43:48 | More by portia99
turfy

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got this courtesy of Phelps - thanks Zach!

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - A medium to deep amber with a one finger creamy head. Nice retention and adequate lacing throughout.

S - Very nice! Fruity aroma with grapefruit up front and some piney hops and trace of floral. Smell persisted until the end.

T - Taste similar to the smell. Hop bitterness mingled with fruitiness and a light malt presence. No pronounced lingering bitterness. Very good balance.

M- Fairly light with medium carbonation. I normally like a little more body with my IPA's but this one was just about right for this long hot summer.

O - I liked this brew. It would be a regular in the fridge if available locally, especially during hot weather. Recommend!

08-25-2011 00:08:16 | More by turfy
woodychandler

4.03/5  rDev 0%

The CANQuest (TM) is literally all over the map today, splitting time between China and Arizona. My helmsman and navigator are at their wits end and so I have decided to solve this Gordian Knot by making thirty (30)-plus knots back to Arizona following our most recent visit to China. It is a knotty problem, would you knot agree?

Not for the kiddies: Popeye awakes in the Old Salts' Home on the morning of his eightieth birthday and notices that he is sporting morning wood. This has not happened for some time and since Olive Oyl has passed on, he decides to hit the stroll, whereupon he hears a familiar cry, "Hey, sailor, how about a date?!?" Instinctively, he knows that the young woman is not proffering a piece of fruit and takes her up on her offer. Soon, they are in a nearby room with an hourly rate and he is bobbing and thrusting as though he were a ship in high seas. He looks down at his friend and asks, "Hey, baby, how am I doing?" She looks up with disdain and replies, "Well, sailor, let me put it in terms you'll understand. You're doing three knots!" "Three knots!" he thinks, excited that he is doing so well in his advanced age, until she continues. "Yes, three knots - you're knot up, you're knot in and you're definitely knot getting your money back!"

Hop Knot? Why knot! Back on AmeriCAN soil, thanks to bennetj17, we employ the Crack & Glug with the best of them. We have tied up to the pier using the dreaded Gopher Knot, a complicated knot like the Gordian Knot, that will require someone to go fer their knife/sword/axe when we next get underway. I had a fizzy finger of ecru head that was briefer than MacBeth's candle. Color was an orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was quite pine-y and a welcome change from both Lychee perfume and sea salt. My mouth began to water. It had a big, resinous mouthfeel to go along with its intense pine taste. This is the kind of beer that got me hooked on hops and I could hear echoes of the Hop Monkey that used to ride around on my back, chattering and howling incessantly. Finish was likewise free and easy with the hops and China's Siren call could be heard yet again. Licking my lips, I signaled for the Deck crew to bring in the lines as I savored those delicious hops and why knot? It might be a while before I could get any again ...

08-14-2011 20:05:08 | More by woodychandler
womencantsail

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks, Bobby.

A: The beer pours a slightly hazed orange color with a finger of white head.

S: A decent bit of citrus to the aroma. Lots of grapefruit, which is nice, and a bit of tangerine. Fairly heavy on the pine and an almost perfumey floral note. Light malt aroma of bread.

T: Somewhat sweet bready malt with a touch of toast and toffee. Grapefruit and orange peel with a moderate bitterness. Not a very intense hoppiness, but the flavors are good enough.

M: Medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

O: A decent IPA, but it didn't really blow me away.

08-10-2011 05:46:44 | More by womencantsail
stxSS07

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz can into a tulip

A- Pours a translucent amber color with a 1/2 fingers worth of tight white bubbles that quickly recede. Leaves some nice lacing.

S- A perfume-like bouquet sweet citrus and juicy tropical fruits. Orange juice and pineapple stick out to me. A small amount of malt dances with an even smaller amount of resiny bitterness. The way I like my IPAs to smell.

T- Surprise! First taste is a hit of bitter resinous hops followed by all the sweet juicy fruits I had on the nose. The fruitiness really hits hard and comes on strong until the end. At that point the two flavors of bitter and sweet waltz off into the sunset. This IPA is right up my alley.

M- Dare I say this is almost a light bodied brew. I think the carbonation plays a big part in the mouthfeel since it's so aggressive. Cleans everything up nicely though.

O- This is easily the tastiest and most refreshing IPA I've had so far. Skewed more towards the sweet side, but hey that's what pleases me. Almost touches Alpha King in my book (should be an IPA).

07-27-2011 05:32:54 | More by stxSS07
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.
Another one thanks to marqoid.

A - Pours a lighter, almost clear orange with a one finger cream colored head. Good retention and some lacing left on the glass.

S - Very piney and grassy.

T - Pine, grass, and some strong floral type flavors.

D - Medium carbonation, lighter body.

O - Love the flavors of this one!

07-16-2011 02:32:58 | More by HuskyinPDX
wethorseblanket

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Got home and surprise! Found in bag after Stone Sour Fest last weekend.

Thanks Sean - you sly trickster you.

A: Pours a slightly hazy yellowish orange under a decent white head which fades slowely and leaves nice lacing on the way down.

N: Wow! Passion fruit, mango, citrus and grapefruit - just a tropical delight.

T: Follows the nose. Floral with pine on the finish and some sweet maltiness. Resiny, dank, sticky.

M: Moderate carb and dry, slightly bitter finish.

O: Very nice indeed. I need to get some more of this. Note: searched for a freshness date but could not find. I wonder when this was canned? Must be freshy fresh. Drink this one nice and cold on a warm day. Enjoy

07-02-2011 02:00:31 | More by wethorseblanket
Marty30

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Big Thanks to aandresen for this extra.12 oz can poured into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp.

A. Clear golden color body looks crisp, Bid 2 and a half finger off white head.Very healthy carbonation.Sticky lacing.

S. Very nice,very piney and good amount of grapefruit and pineapple.Little bit of lemon and grass in the back end.

T. Bitter pine and grapefruit a small amount of passion fruit and floral hops.Balences out nicely.Dry finish.

M. Weakest part of this beer.Pretty thin and light on the palate.Good carbonation.

Overall very good IPA,pretty straight forward.Very drinkable and refreshing.I would buy a case of this if I could get it.I recommend.

06-23-2011 01:03:57 | More by Marty30
bennetj17

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours leaving little head unfortunately, though it has somewhat lively carbonation throughout. The color is very golden, it looks more like a Pils than an IPA. The aroma yields a citrus hop bouquet, with a watermelon twang plus a strong balance of caramel malt sweetness. It lacks enough intensity to really draw me in however.

The flavor is sort of one dimensional as it never seems to round itself out in the finish. From start to back it's a tangy fruit, herbal, hop dominant beer with moderate bitterness creeping in slowly. It stays pretty clean in flavor and is also more refreshing due to a lighter mouthfeel that's not syrupy like some IPA's get. Decent carbonation.

Overall one of the better Arizona brewed beers, but it's a notch below many fine craft IPA's. I'd probably buy more of it but for $18.99 a 12-pack it doesn't give me an incentive to choose it over say, Odell IPA or something like that. I like the cans though, it definitely was fresh too.

06-11-2011 05:17:56 | More by bennetj17
arizcards

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 12 pack at Total Wine Saturday for $17.99.

Beer poured golden with a white head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is wonderful, full of fresh citrus and tropical hops.

Taste is pretty well balanced, pale malts create a nice baseline for the wonderful blend of mango and citrus hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall this is a solid beer, the best year round brew from Arizona. Definitiely try this if you have the opportunity!

05-30-2011 22:49:03 | More by arizcards
matttttYCE

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Bought the newly produced cans on Saturday the 21st, so about a week ago. That was the release date so you know it's nice and fresh. Wish they had some kind of dating on the cans though. Poured into a regular old pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice light golden clear color with about a finger's worth of white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Head diminishes to a nice light film over top with a few bubbles here and there.

Smell - Literally the first thing that comes to mind is DANK! Another descriptor would be oily/resiny! There's a good reason for this description as hops (Humulus lupulus) are in the same family (Cannabaceae) as marijuana (Cannabis sativa). I just don't understand it, but I love this smell (can't lie, I've smelled weed and love that smell too). Just something about it. Anyways you also get that nice floral and citrusy IPA smell. It's got a good amount of tropical/grapefruit and citrus to it and some sweetness smell as well. Seems like everytime I have this, I end up with a nose full of foam because I can't help but keep sticking my nose in it again and again! Grassy smell is in there a bit also, but they use like 7 different kinds of hops. Not surprising. I could literally bathe in that smell. If someone made a cologne that smelled like this, I'd probably never be without it. This is probably the epitome of what I think an IPA should smell like. I love it.

Taste - Seems like the taste is just what you'd expect from the smell. There's citrus goodness, like orange and some other light citrus, with some tropical fruit and herbal notes. Burps bring out the best of it, and some pine. Also the malt bill is there enough to be nice and balanced and make it not too bitter or biting and give it some bready or biscuity notes. This is a strong IPA but seems pretty well balanced as well, if that makes sense. Taste is very good, but not quite amazing. Probably a 4.5 out of 5.0.

Mouthfeel - Feels great. Nice and light medium bodied for an IPA, with a crispness and carbonation level a bit above creamy, probably medium carbonation. Basically very drinkable. And at 6.7% ABV, it's something I can drink a 64 oz growler of over the course of 3-4 hours. It's just that good and drinkable. Finish is lighter but not on the dry side. Leaves my palate wet with anticipation of the next sip every damn time.

Overall - Sometimes I really hate living in Arizona. The heat drives me crazy, I can't stand it. But as long as I'm here and Four Peaks is too, my go-to local beer will be Hop Knot and it makes living here pretty worthwhile. I've got a few Four Peaks growlers, one of which is designated for nothing but Hop Knot. And it gets used fairly often. The fact that cans will now be readily available kind of leaves my growler feeling threatened. But you know you really can't beat the freshness of a straight from the tap growler fill on the weekend. Basically, if you're in the valley and enjoy IPAs, this brew is NOT TO BE MISSED! 4.5 out of 5.0!

05-30-2011 08:22:15 | More by matttttYCE
yemenmocha

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

No freshness date. Can format.

Pours a honey golden hue, translucent and bright, with generous white head. Lots of lacing and creamy goodness on the head. Nose is a delight with some tangerine, maybe peachy-pear, and light herbal component. On the palate is a hop focused citrusy flavor that is delicious, herbal hop components kicking in, and just enough malt to keep it civilized. Nice bitter tingle on the finish.

Only negative is that it is incredibly watery & light. Head to head with regional IPA's makes this characteristic stand out quite prominently.

05-28-2011 19:16:36 | More by yemenmocha
Rampage1

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

I like the fact that I am the first to review this in a can. Heading to Biancos with Jordan after a brief stop at Four Peaks to grab some beers to go.

Appearance: A nice golden color with a slight chill haze to it. Has a bright,egg shell white color head with a half inch cap.

Smell: this is one of my first ipa's in az and one of my fondest memories of a ipa. I've been drinking this one for years and it all goes back to Pizzeria Bianco. The beer has q nice tropical smell to it. Mostly orange rind and grapefruit pith. It is awesome and a great example of how a west coast ipa should smell.

Taste: A nice light citrus taste that consists of orange mostly and other light citrus. Has a light bitter flavor with a light malt and biscuit flavor.

Mouthfeel: nice carbonation that delivers a great flavor of citrus.

Overall. Awesome is the best thing I can say about this local.This is such a smooth flavored IPA that is definitely session worthy. I love drinking this on a hot summer day especially when it is followed up by Biancos. So glad they are canning this finally. Should be in the locals frys within the next couple weeks from what I was told which is going to make one hell of a summer. Thanks Four Peaks!

05-21-2011 20:37:05 | More by Rampage1
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: draft into a 20 oz pint glass, golden amber colored with a nice white head that lingers leaving some lacing, clear

S: grapefruit, grassy hops, slight malt sweetness, very hop forward

T: bitter hop grapefruit peel flavor, middle sweetness slightly but still stays pretty dry, finish is more grapefruit bitter hop flavor

M: light to medium body with good carbonation

O: nice treat at PHX, too bad my flight was boarding or I would have gladly had another

03-06-2014 03:43:42 | More by M_C_Hampton
joeworrall

4.23/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

poured from a growler (filled at Whole Foods) into a larger tulip glass...

I've had this from a can previously and found it to be an easy-to-drink IPA, not complex, but very well balanced and smooth with a lemony-citrus aftertaste.

tonight, I am compaing it with some other IPA's on tap at Whole Foods: Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Mother Road Lost Highway Black IPA, Dragoon IPA, and the standard for double IPA's Dogfish Head 90. I will also pour a Stone IPA from a bottle before the evening is over...

color and appearance are a dark honey yellow with a head that settles down to about 1/4"

smell is nice, not overwhelming. a blend of the hops used: Cascade, Glacier, Magnum, Liberty, Simcoe

taste is similarly balanced, malt and hops do not overwhelm each other, but complement and result in a very pleasant mouthfeel...

In my search for the perfect IPA, this one is definitely in the top 20, and maybe in the top 10!

Serving type: growler

09-28-2013 02:40:21 | More by joeworrall
falloutsnow

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

From: Gifted by CE from trip to AZ
Date: None on bottle
Glass: Tulip

Pours a 1cm head, just off-white, fades with minimal lacing to just a ring around the glass. Body is a transparent, light copper orange color. Carbonation is visible, active and numerous.

Aroma of citrus, lemon and grapefruit in particular, which is balanced nicely on top of a malt base that is somewhat like sweet tea. Generally very fresh, hoppy, and inviting.

Sweetness and hops are well-mixed, with hops being main attraction. Hop flavors of grapefruit and Meyer lemon, mainly citrus, little pine. Malt base is noticeable in the first half of the sip, again has sweet-tea characters. Bitterness on sides of tongue in back of palate. Aftertaste is mildly sweet and lingering bitterness.

Beer is medium-light in body, a little watery around the edges. Modest carbonation leads to gentle foaming on palate and a creamy mouthfeel.

06-08-2013 19:16:33 | More by falloutsnow
BucannonXC5

Type: Draft
Glass: Pint glass
From: Four Peaks Brewery in Tempe, Ariz.
Price: $5.00 (guessing)
Purchased: May 16, 2013
Consumed: May 16, 2013
Misc.: N/A

Poured a golden orange color with 1-2 fingers of fluffy white head when I got it. Pretty good foamy lacing on the sides and good retention all the way down.

Smelled citrus grapefruit hops up front. Also some notes of floral hops, tangerine, orange rind, honey grass and faint skunky resin.

Tasted similar to the nose with grapefruit citrus hops leading the way. Tangerine, orange, orange rind, sweet floral hops and a bit of honey wheat grass.

Medium body. Thin-to-oily texture. Average-to-lively carbonation. Long, pleasantly bitter finish.

Really liked this IPA. It put the Raj to shame, so much that I’d like to go back and knock that one down a few pegs.

05-21-2013 07:11:15 | More by BucannonXC5
bashiba

Iowa

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

poured a nice clear golden with a thick white head.

The smell is lightly hoppy with a touch of lemon.

the flavor is mild with a lightly bready malt backbone. the hop flavors are mild for an IPA. The bitterness is very low for IPA as well. Drinks more like a nicely hopped blonde.

Nice smooth and creamy mouth feel.

Good but doesn't really feel like IPA.

08-15-2012 23:23:09 | More by bashiba
Gatch

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Cask @ Four Peaks in Tempe, AZ.

A - A bit darker than the traditional brew, with nice shades of amber and red. A great, fluffy, off-white head that is typical of cask ales.

S - Much more floral and fruity. Hops shine here.

T - Where the original can be a bit too dry and lack a certain hop bite, this brew hits a great cask IPA on the head. Fruity, floral, delicious hops with a good malty backbone.

M - Incredibly smooth, creamy, and the perfect temperature. Goes down way too easily.

O - A must try for all fans of Hop Knot.

Serving type: cask

04-08-2012 01:13:03 | More by Gatch
nickfl

4.23/5  rDev +5%

A - poured with a small head of white foam on a clear, dark golden body. The head settles and leaves thick lace.

S - a fruity aroma of mango, grapefruit, and pine.

T - bready malt, spicy pine and a touch of caramel up front. More of the same in the middle with a peppery character that carries though to the finish with moderate bitterness and lots of grapefruit.

M - medium thick body, moderate carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - very nice, especially for a single IPA. The hop character is excellent, but balanced and the beer is very drinkable.

03-21-2012 02:54:27 | More by nickfl
downhilldrift

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Usually, I'm not a huge fan of hoppy beers, or IPAs in general, but this one is a huge exception. The flavor of the Hop Knot packs a huge punch, and its great hoppy taste sticks around even out of a can. A bit darker in color, but still lighter than the Raj IPA, and emits an aroma of citrus and floral scents. It has a good feel to it, and goes down extremely smooth.

12-20-2011 10:37:56 | More by downhilldrift
paulginva

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

APPEARANCE: This beer, poured from a tap at the brewery's restaurant, came to our table with an approximately 1/4" thin white head that dissipated quickly with virtually no head lacing. Carbonation was light and the body was a clear golden hue with orange highlights.

AROMA: There was a light aroma of sweet malt in the background with heavy aromas of citrus, floral and pine, and lighter overlays of grass and orange. The aroma was quite potent, nearly what you might expect from a DIPA.

TASTE: Taste followed the nose here with the exception that there was a slight taste of alcohol -- all in all, a pleasing taste for an American IPA.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer had a medium body and a slightly oily texture, carbonation that was quite lively, virtually no body lacing, and a moderately bitter aftertaste. The initial flavor was moderately bitter with a light sweetness to it, while the finish was heavily bitter with a light dryness to it.

DRINKABILITY: This was a very nice West Coast IPA. The high carbonation added a little zing to the tongue. It had a nice balance between the hops and alcohol -- not overpowering at all and quite drinkable. I'd like to have another. Would I buy it again? Sure, if I'm ever in the Phoenix area.

11-29-2011 21:49:40 | More by paulginva
uawildcat

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

Had on tap at four peaks and was so good I decided to get a growler. Pours with a decent sized head that leaves lacing in the glass.

Smells strongly of citrusy AND piney hops. Very nice. A subtle malt sweetness comes through.

The taste is exceptional for an IPA. All of the hop flavor with none of the bitterness. Upfront with a citrusy fruity malt flavor followed by a piney hop finish with no bitterness. Goes down easy, and perhaps the only flaw of the beer is the over carbonation.

Overall, a great beer period. If you ever come to AZ, you should get it.

Serving type: growler