1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Knot - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Hop KnotHop Knot

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Knot Alström Bros
Ratings: 313 | Reviews: 110 | Show All Ratings:
PhxHorn

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

I just bought my first case of the newly-bottled stuff, and I wasn't planning on reviewing it again, but this is worthy. It's even better out of the bottle than the on-tap serving I had in Tempe last month. The color is a deep, rich yellow, quarter inch of white head. Smells intensely of piney hops. One of the greatest aromas I've ever experienced from a beer. Tastes of citrus, with some grapefruit and maybe a bit of orange in there, but not the overwhelming bitterness you get sometimes. Carbonation is right on the money. One of the most drinakble IPA's I've had. I had Pliney the Elder on tap in San Diego this past summer, and for my money, this is actually a tad better when it's this fresh. Nice job, Four Peaks!

12-03-2008 22:56:28 | More by PhxHorn
Hendry

Vermont

3.76/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Burnished orange hue,1 finger khaki head reduced quickly,some chunky sediment as it is unfiltered,lacing is respectable.

Hops are muted in the aroma: sweet malts are dominant.Not at ALL getting the grapefruit and pine needle vibe in the least. Quite underwhelming.

Taste is a carbon copy of the bland nose: not much going on here other than a bready malt sweetness with a noted lack of true bitterness on the palate. Genuinely unexciting.

Mouthfeel is medium, the sweetness from the malts just steals the show, leaving the hops in the dust.Carbonation appropriate.

How Hop Knot can get a 91 rating while Knee Deep Citra Extra Pale Ale rates an 85 only shows the flaws and biases of the BA rating system. Hop Knot is a solid MEH!

06-21-2013 05:25:24 | More by Hendry
aval89

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

a: pours a nice deep golden color.. solid finger worth of head.. some bubbles streaming up..

s: right away i got hit with that signature cat-piss simcoe aroma.. fresh green grass hop as well.. also some overall fruitiness with an almost cake-like aroma..

t: upfront is that green leafy/wet hoppiness..then you get hit with some mild citrus & some fruitiness.. some caramel malt also pulls through.. finish is semi-bitter with mild citrus rind bitterness..

mf: light-medium body with an almost crisp feel.

o: solid ipa for arizona.. not sure on the freshness.. cant wait for this to be start rolling out in cans!!

05-25-2011 10:52:01 | More by aval89
bigbelcher

4.15/5  rDev +3%

I've enjoyed many a pint of this beer but this review is of my first bottle of it. Got a case at the brewery in Tempe. It is a light golden almost straw like yellow. Unlike the many pints I've had the head was rather small, probably due to having a lower co2 content than the draft. Other than that though the taste was the same as draft. Some malt but mostly plenty of hop flavor and a nice easy drinking bitterness. Some citrus and grassy hop flavor. Aroma is like that of a fresh cut lawn, grassy. A well balanced easy drinking beer.

12-09-2008 20:33:29 | More by bigbelcher
matttttYCE

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Bought the newly produced cans on Saturday the 21st, so about a week ago. That was the release date so you know it's nice and fresh. Wish they had some kind of dating on the cans though. Poured into a regular old pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice light golden clear color with about a finger's worth of white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Head diminishes to a nice light film over top with a few bubbles here and there.

Smell - Literally the first thing that comes to mind is DANK! Another descriptor would be oily/resiny! There's a good reason for this description as hops (Humulus lupulus) are in the same family (Cannabaceae) as marijuana (Cannabis sativa). I just don't understand it, but I love this smell (can't lie, I've smelled weed and love that smell too). Just something about it. Anyways you also get that nice floral and citrusy IPA smell. It's got a good amount of tropical/grapefruit and citrus to it and some sweetness smell as well. Seems like everytime I have this, I end up with a nose full of foam because I can't help but keep sticking my nose in it again and again! Grassy smell is in there a bit also, but they use like 7 different kinds of hops. Not surprising. I could literally bathe in that smell. If someone made a cologne that smelled like this, I'd probably never be without it. This is probably the epitome of what I think an IPA should smell like. I love it.

Taste - Seems like the taste is just what you'd expect from the smell. There's citrus goodness, like orange and some other light citrus, with some tropical fruit and herbal notes. Burps bring out the best of it, and some pine. Also the malt bill is there enough to be nice and balanced and make it not too bitter or biting and give it some bready or biscuity notes. This is a strong IPA but seems pretty well balanced as well, if that makes sense. Taste is very good, but not quite amazing. Probably a 4.5 out of 5.0.

Mouthfeel - Feels great. Nice and light medium bodied for an IPA, with a crispness and carbonation level a bit above creamy, probably medium carbonation. Basically very drinkable. And at 6.7% ABV, it's something I can drink a 64 oz growler of over the course of 3-4 hours. It's just that good and drinkable. Finish is lighter but not on the dry side. Leaves my palate wet with anticipation of the next sip every damn time.

Overall - Sometimes I really hate living in Arizona. The heat drives me crazy, I can't stand it. But as long as I'm here and Four Peaks is too, my go-to local beer will be Hop Knot and it makes living here pretty worthwhile. I've got a few Four Peaks growlers, one of which is designated for nothing but Hop Knot. And it gets used fairly often. The fact that cans will now be readily available kind of leaves my growler feeling threatened. But you know you really can't beat the freshness of a straight from the tap growler fill on the weekend. Basically, if you're in the valley and enjoy IPAs, this brew is NOT TO BE MISSED! 4.5 out of 5.0!

05-30-2011 08:22:15 | More by matttttYCE
boomer31

Taken from notes 10/8/10

A - Clear and bright yellowish orange with a tiny white head that leaves rather quickly

S - Big piney and citrus hops. Very nice nose, almost no malt just luscious hops

T - Piney and grassy hops from start to finish with a touch of fruity hops only after your palate adjusts. The finish is dry and grassy but not overyly dry.

M - A light IPA, very crisp and dry. High carb

D - I couldn't put this down. I really enjoy all the hops from the nose to the finish.

I was impressed by the balance of hops in this beer. Very nice array of hops from pine to grass to fruit...a very solid American IPA

10-09-2010 16:44:30 | More by boomer31
Marty30

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Big Thanks to aandresen for this extra.12 oz can poured into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp.

A. Clear golden color body looks crisp, Bid 2 and a half finger off white head.Very healthy carbonation.Sticky lacing.

S. Very nice,very piney and good amount of grapefruit and pineapple.Little bit of lemon and grass in the back end.

T. Bitter pine and grapefruit a small amount of passion fruit and floral hops.Balences out nicely.Dry finish.

M. Weakest part of this beer.Pretty thin and light on the palate.Good carbonation.

Overall very good IPA,pretty straight forward.Very drinkable and refreshing.I would buy a case of this if I could get it.I recommend.

06-23-2011 01:03:57 | More by Marty30
leftmindedrighty

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Two 12oz bottles courtesy of the Arizona legend Tayner.

One of those bottles poured into a Four Peaks pint glass. Man I love branded glassware.

Smell, Wow. Big citrus hops with piney hops thrown into the mix.

Taste, is there malt in this brew? Big citrus and piney hops dominate. A firm malt backbone though keeps this beer in check. Aromatic and Crystal malt keeps this beer balanced and lends mucho complexity. Very forthright hop presence keeps smacking my taste buds around, while the sweet malt tries in vain to reign them in.

Overall, I don't know how to sum this up. Big citrus hops combined with a firm malt backbone. Pliny? Dreadnaught? Leatherlips? I'm sorry, but for the ABV you don't stand a chance. I'm adding this as a permanent "Wants". Wow is all I can say. Kudos to the brewers for masking such awesome hop presence.

I have a new favorite IPA. Sorry Leatherlips and Finest Kind IPA.

12-08-2008 02:26:04 | More by leftmindedrighty
stxSS07

12oz can into a tulip

A- Pours a translucent amber color with a 1/2 fingers worth of tight white bubbles that quickly recede. Leaves some nice lacing.

S- A perfume-like bouquet sweet citrus and juicy tropical fruits. Orange juice and pineapple stick out to me. A small amount of malt dances with an even smaller amount of resiny bitterness. The way I like my IPAs to smell.

T- Surprise! First taste is a hit of bitter resinous hops followed by all the sweet juicy fruits I had on the nose. The fruitiness really hits hard and comes on strong until the end. At that point the two flavors of bitter and sweet waltz off into the sunset. This IPA is right up my alley.

M- Dare I say this is almost a light bodied brew. I think the carbonation plays a big part in the mouthfeel since it's so aggressive. Cleans everything up nicely though.

O- This is easily the tastiest and most refreshing IPA I've had so far. Skewed more towards the sweet side, but hey that's what pleases me. Almost touches Alpha King in my book (should be an IPA).

07-27-2011 05:32:54 | More by stxSS07
standardcherry

4.31/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz can poured into a HF stem. Thanks to Paul (azdback) for this one!

A: This is very clear. Wow. Minimal haziness and a dark golden/orange color. Nice, thick white head that leaves beautiful lacing.
S: Lots of pine resin. A bit of sweetness, balanced out with some citrusy aromas. A bit floral too.
T: Very well balanced IPA. Lots of sweet maltiness balancing out with citrus (grapefruit) and floral tastes. Not as hoppy as I had expected from the smell but very tasty regardless.
M: Light/medium bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth and creamy with a bit of dryness in the finish.
O: This is an excellent IPA that has flown under everyone's radar. Glad I got the chance to try this one. Very well balanced and not too much alcohol make this an excellent and very well balanced IPA that I could drink all day!

04-04-2013 04:30:44 | More by standardcherry
paulginva

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

APPEARANCE: This beer, poured from a tap at the brewery's restaurant, came to our table with an approximately 1/4" thin white head that dissipated quickly with virtually no head lacing. Carbonation was light and the body was a clear golden hue with orange highlights.

AROMA: There was a light aroma of sweet malt in the background with heavy aromas of citrus, floral and pine, and lighter overlays of grass and orange. The aroma was quite potent, nearly what you might expect from a DIPA.

TASTE: Taste followed the nose here with the exception that there was a slight taste of alcohol -- all in all, a pleasing taste for an American IPA.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer had a medium body and a slightly oily texture, carbonation that was quite lively, virtually no body lacing, and a moderately bitter aftertaste. The initial flavor was moderately bitter with a light sweetness to it, while the finish was heavily bitter with a light dryness to it.

DRINKABILITY: This was a very nice West Coast IPA. The high carbonation added a little zing to the tongue. It had a nice balance between the hops and alcohol -- not overpowering at all and quite drinkable. I'd like to have another. Would I buy it again? Sure, if I'm ever in the Phoenix area.

11-29-2011 21:49:40 | More by paulginva
Koufax21

New Mexico

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. It pours a light yellow. Nice fingers worth of white head. Big hop aroma as it should. The taste is clean and mild. Not what I was expecting with a name like hop knot. I think most of the hops were put in the hopback and not much in the boil. At only 47 ibu it seems almost like more of a pale ale. It is quite tasty though. It's a beer I enjoy drinking while I'm in AZ.

03-20-2012 03:29:50 | More by Koufax21
wcdoyle

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Head was low and died quickly, but there was good lacing. Clear gold with a touch of copper. S: The hops come through with sweet citrus--like orange or tangerine--and there was also a bit of malty sweetness. T: Wow. The sharpness was there, but in a good way, the flavors danced through various citrus and florals, but there weren't crazy and there was enough malt--both up front and then underneath the hops to keep things in balance. M: Moderate, and not too drying. D: I actually puled back on tis rating to be fair. First, it was a wicked hot Tempe summer day, so the beeriness along made it drinkable. Don't get me wrong, though. If I lived in Tempe, I'd be drinking a lot of these.

07-12-2007 23:50:07 | More by wcdoyle
fo5s

District of Columbia

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz bottle courtesy of Tayner (also got one from Justn!) in a trade. I loved the first one and decided to review the second bottle she sent. No date on the bottle, but it was relatively fresh when Tayner sent it and it's been in the fridge ever since.

a- pours clear, rather pale, with a fluffy 2 finger head

s- citrusy hops, but not overly sharp, coming from the west I set the bar high and it doesn't disappoint

t- hop forward profile, with a small amount of citrus, and surprisingly balanced given the origin. Could be sharper on the hops

m- fluffy feeling, good carbonation for the style

d- very drinkable, 6% abv so I could have a few of these. That said, not the most drinkable IPA I've had.

overall a very enjoyable beer. I wouldn't go out of my way for this, and it's not irreplaceable, but I'd love to have this as a local/standby...thanks Tayner! We'll have to see how this compares to leatherlips, which I sent her.

04-27-2009 02:33:46 | More by fo5s
buffettfan

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

This one surprised me! They put the glass in front of me, and I saw a pretty average, golden, slightly cloudy beer, with just a bit of head, but it did hold a while, and had some pretty nice lacing. Then I put it to my nose, and got punched in face! The hops dominated!! The taste was pretty much what you would expect from the aroma! This was like chewying on hops! Loved it!!! I would swim in this stuff!

08-14-2007 17:57:22 | More by buffettfan
JohnnyJam

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a can with no date code into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden color with a big off-white head that settles. There is a lot of thin sticky lacing.

S: Big smell of citrus. Grapefruit big time, pine and orange.

T: Mostly grapefruit. there is a little orange and light malt.

M: A little thin but very drinkable.

O; I like it. It is easy to drink and if it was on tap; I would have it.

10-19-2012 21:54:53 | More by JohnnyJam
DPFRD

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

A- Clear Golden with a sudsy head.

S- Citrus and Floral hops exploding all over.

T- This beer is intense first sip. Just a crazy wonderful mix of hops. Spicy, bitter and citrus all dominating. The aftertaste is nice and will leave your mouthwatering.

M- Spicy & carbonated, light bodied.

D- I can't explain how awesome this beer is. At 6% it's got nut, but you can still pound them.

09-14-2010 20:51:31 | More by DPFRD
Lucklys

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

On tap, it arrived at our table glowing a clear golden-copper amber and held a finger-thick off-white head that filled what little space was available above the beer (my only complaint, really, but technically I got more beer). The head was fueled by multiple steady streams of carbonation that lasted throughout the drink and provided ample support to the amazing sheets of sticky lacing that graced the glass while I sipped on it. Awesome head retention and lacing? A great way to start a beer off, in my opinion.

I held my nose over the brew and caught huge whiffs of orange peel and grapefruit zest, pine needle hops, and some faint grassy-malt sweetness underneath. The lively bitterness almost made it seem fizzy in my nose, but it was a welcome vivacity from an IPA and was very reminiscent of summer.

Eager to bathe my taste buds in the hoppy glory that was emanating from the Hop Knot, I first had to get over how super quaffable the brew was. This is some seriously smooth beer. It flooded my mouth with just enough piney, resiny hops, orange peel and grapefruit zest without overwhelming my senses. It was freshly bitter and bright without too much bite thanks to the lightly caramel sweet malts that made a quick appearance before the grand finale. Throughout the drink, the bitterness briskly jigged with the finely-bubbled peppy carbonation, creating a lighter mouthfeel (among a medium body) and leaving my tongue feeling awake and refreshed. And despite all of the happy hops jumping around between my cheeks, the ending was nice and smooth with a clean aftertaste.

12-01-2010 17:37:18 | More by Lucklys
Centennial

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Can poured into pint glass. Thanks to azdback for sending this as an extra.

A. Golden with very subtle orange hue. Virtually no head but a lot of small bubbles and substantial carbonation. Very clear.

S. Pungent Citrus and Pine hop aroma balanced by Mango Tangerine and orange coming through.

T. Well balanced, hop forward, but clean without a bitter mouthfeel lingering. Balance is excellent between the hops and malt.

M. Crisp and smooth, carbonation a little too bubbly but it helps bring the hops through from start to finish.

O. Very Good IPA, reminds me of a blend of Abrasive and Furious. Wish this was available locally.

11-16-2011 06:47:32 | More by Centennial
Pamola

Vermont

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to stubone for the trade. never tried an az beer before this one.

A: Poured a fairly yellow color with a small, white head measuring less than a finger. Dissipates quickly.

S: Damn! Heavy citrus hops, loaded in grapefruit aroma. Stuff smells like it would cure scurvy in a heartbeat. Aroma is a little one-dimensional but it's incredibly intense and rather mouth-watering.

T: Wow. Sweet and fruity and as said before, intensely hoppy. It's not brutally bitter though, which is nice. It doesn't dry out your mouth and allows that sweetness and citrus to come through more.

M: Maybe a little on the watery side but the hops dance on the palate wonderfully.

D: Could certainly drink plenty of this, even though it's nearly a grapefruit beer. It's very very tasty.

01-02-2009 05:59:17 | More by Pamola
jeffaz02t

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Lightly burnt orange color with a nice head that thins out to maybe 1/2 an inch or less.

S: One of the best smelling IPAs I have ever had. A great citrus smell with subtle tropical fruit undertones.

T: Similar to the smell, this one starts off with a hoppy citrus taste, however there is not much bitterness, which is a very welcome change for an IPA. There is a slightly sweet malt flavor that turns dry at the end. The end also has a slight astringent taste from the alcohol.

M: medium-light, medium carbonation.

Overall: One of the best IPAs I have ever had. I love the malt character in that it lets the hops do their thing without overpowering, yet when it is time for the malts to play their role, you are impressed with the flavor of the malts. World Class beer from Four Peaks.

08-11-2011 17:52:22 | More by jeffaz02t
swthomas55

3.83/5  rDev -5%

On tap at the Tempe brewpub, 4oz sample.

App - gold-amber, clear, head ok.
Aroma - grassy hops. Really, too green.
Flavor - the flavor redeems the aroma. There is sweet malt, but also a ton of hop flavor and solid bitterness. I wish the aroma was this well integrated.
Mouthfeel - medium bodied, smooth with a bit of astringency from all those hops!
Overall -- would be great without that grassy, green aroma.

03-27-2011 04:34:48 | More by swthomas55
Jeriba

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Pale yellow-orange with some nice lacing around the top rim of my pint glass.

S: Citrius and very heavy pine presence. I detected nearly no malt in the aroma.

T: Very intense first sip, with nice hop resin flavors and pine. Just a hint of malt sweetness.

M: Crisp and bubbly, just as you would expect.

D: There's nothing quite like a fresh, well-made IPA on tap. I can't imagine drinking this out of the bottle, bit if you ever get a chance to try it in-house, don't pass it up.

09-26-2010 02:30:04 | More by Jeriba
uawildcat

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

Had on tap at four peaks and was so good I decided to get a growler. Pours with a decent sized head that leaves lacing in the glass.

Smells strongly of citrusy AND piney hops. Very nice. A subtle malt sweetness comes through.

The taste is exceptional for an IPA. All of the hop flavor with none of the bitterness. Upfront with a citrusy fruity malt flavor followed by a piney hop finish with no bitterness. Goes down easy, and perhaps the only flaw of the beer is the over carbonation.

Overall, a great beer period. If you ever come to AZ, you should get it.

Serving type: growler

11-01-2011 22:14:03 | More by uawildcat
Crass3000

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

From notes on 12/29/2011

4/5 Pours out a nice dark orange with a two-finger, white head with really good retention.

4/5 Smell is nice strong citrus - mango, grapefruit, orange, etc with a little pine and some caremal from the sweet malts.

4/5 Taste is much like the nose. The citrus is definately there, the pine is a little stronger, and the caremal is there to balance things out really nice.

4/5 Mouthfeel is medium and nice for the style. Really a nice beer that is under the radar.

01-19-2012 10:43:31 | More by Crass3000