Pumpkin Porter - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Gusler on 11-01-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Drinkable—I suppose even "sessionable"—but not very exciting. Benighted by a bit of a metallic tang around the whole periphery, there are nonetheless some solid gourd-like chthonic notes, as well as the barest of smokey dark flavors—the latter of which aid in the presentation of those base malty bitters that keep this effort true to the porter side of its style. Mild, light-bodied, without either glaring flaws or obvious plaudits.

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%

Looks like slightly cloudy coca cola. Tan head, fades quickly to nothing...must be the spices or pumpkin that kills head retention. Smell is much spicier than I recall in years past, pumpkin spice go figure. Some roast. Taste is definitely more pumpkin spice than I recall, mostly cinnamon to me, a little roast or chocolate maybe. The finish is what gets me every time. I've always considered it thin and watery. This year, for the finish, I'd add that it has a very strange kind of mouth puckering feeling...somewhat acidic...like a wine with a lot of tannin...other times it seemed like soda water chalky feeling...then I'd say, no, it's like a really old, stale diet cola, where fake sweetness is gone and you get the phosphate/carbonic acid feel, not really a flavor.

3.66/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz can poured into a snifter

A- pours a nearly translucent brown color with a small fizzy off-white head that disappears quickly, leaving nothing behind

S- plenty of pumpkin spice aroma up front with the expected aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg & clove. The base porter adds a light roasted malt aroma with some sweet chocolate complementing the spices

T- The pumpkin spicing blends with a slightly smoky base porter up front, followed by some vegetal notes. The finish provides plenty of roast with some char and light chocolate on the linger

M- medium-light body with moderate-low carbonation leads to a slightly foamy mouthfeel and a bit of a watery finish

O- solid pumpkin porter with high drinkability

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This didn’t do anything for me. Chalky tasting. Too many “pumpkin spices.” It’s essentially a cinnamon bomb. Pass.

I guess I don’t have much more to add to this review right now. This sure ain’t poetry.
Beer reviews can be like that sometimes.

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this seasonal porter. I recently had it in both bottle form, as well as on tap at the Four Peaks brewery in Tempe, AZ. I fell in love with this. I purchased quite a number of pumpkin beers this season, and though I'm only half way through trying them all, this is my favorite thus far. Good solid pumpkin smell, and great smooth pumpkin flavor. Many pumpkins I've tried don't have a whole lot of the pumpkin or even pumpkin spice included as much as you'd think, though the heavier the better it appears. But this one was a great one for me.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a sixer from TW Arrowhead in early October for $11.99. Canned on 9/26/14. I have had this several times via growler...finally reviewing officially.

Beer poured cola brown with an OK tan head that dissipated quickly.

Nose has a nice subtle touch of pumpkin pie spice.

Taste is a light touch of pumpkin pie spice and nutmeg. The malts are very lightly roasted and there is just enough hopping to prevent this sweet brew from being cloying. Finish is dry.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side and not overly smooth.

Overall this is an extremely drinkable beer. It is a bit sweet for my taste so one or two at a session is good. Give it a shot if you are in the Phoenix area in the fall.

Best Porter I've had. Just got a 64oz growler today, and I'm glad I did. Pours smooth and goes down the same. I'm not a beer snob, so I'm not into technical reviews, simply put this is a good Autumn beer. Now I'm ready to try Four Peaks Odelay Mexican Chocolate...

4.98/5  rDev +36.8%

This is the best porter I have had. Wish it was available all year! This comes out in mid September and I will be there the day they have it available. Comes in growlers, cans, or draft. Worth the wait! If you come to the Phoenix area in the fall this is a must try! Available at all the Four Peaks Brewery's and local bars from a keg. Once it is gone it is gone.

3.93/5  rDev +8%

Poured a deep brown, with a heavy orange tint and a one-finger tan head. It looks pretty good, though not as dark as most porters. Scents of pumpkin, spices and roast malt. Simple, more like a pumpkin ale than a porter. Flavors of prominent pumpkin, some slight sweet spices and chocolate, slight sweetness and very slight roast malt. The roasted flavors are more pronounced on the finish and aftertaste, however for a porter the roasted character is quite low. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and is quite smooth and creamy. Very nice and easy to drink, quite pleasant. Overall this is a good pumpkin beer, with the porter character helping it be better than most of it's kind. However I do wish there was a bit more porter in this pumpkin porter.

3.57/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from can into pint glass:

A: Dark mahogany

S: Huge hints of clove, cinnamon and allspice

T: Slightly malty, huge spice notes

M: Thinner than most porters.

O: It's one of the most anticipated seasonal beers from Four Peaks. Each autumn the response from Phoenix area drinkers gets bigger and bigger for the Pumpkin Porter. The porter doesn't have the usual malty backbone that porters usually have. It is one of my more favorite Fall beers.

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

On tap at the Frog n Firkin in Tucson. Pours pitch black with a smallish tan head. Aroma is dark roasted malt, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla. Flavors of dark roasted malt, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and a touch of brown sugar. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Quite a quaffable pumpkin porter and one I wouldn't mind having again.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

A friend of mine brought me back a fresh growler from the brewpub in Tempe. I've been there before, but always in the spring, so I've never had a chance to try their Pumpkin Porter. I'm definitely a pumpkin porter fan- I've always wondered why there aren't more of them (just a few that I've had)- the roasty, robust, slightly malty porter is the perfect foil for the silky pumpkin and the pie spices. I've even been known to get a good sixpack of porter and another of pumpkin beer and blend them myself. In any case, I was looking forward to trying this beer. It pours nicely enough, with a moderate head that leaves some lacing, and a nice very dark brown color for the beer itself. The aroma is more pumpkin and pie spice than it is porter. While those smells are pleasant, I'd like some more roastiness here for balance. The taste is quite light, and also lacks roasted notes and depth. There is some pleasant silkiness from the pumpkin and some nice pie spice, but these are light as well. Very smooth and light, this is a very easy drinking version of the style, but it lacks interest. A bit disappointing.

2.67/5  rDev -26.6%

Pint glass on tap. The server says that people call looking for this beer and they only get a keg per week and that one keg is not enough.

A: Dark brown almost opaque. Little head and very little lacing.

S: Smells interesting enough. Big spice that reminds me of pumkin pie. Lots of clove and cinnamon. Smells like grandma's spices for pumpkin pie.

T: I wish the taste would follow smell. Starts out sweet and spicey like pumkin pie but turns sour like it was stale. Unpalatable.

M: Thin, not much there. Carbonated and leaves mouth slightly dry.

O: I can't get over that stale taste. Not a beer that I would have again. I couldn't even finish one and drank more than I could palate to write a review.

3.87/5  rDev +6.3%

This particular porter had quite a flavorful scent, something that you would expect to smell of pumpkin anything. This autumn seasonal was lighter and smoother than I expected, and had a distinct faint pumpkin spice taste. I don't want to say it was too bland, because I could definitely taste the pumpkin flavors, but it wasn't an overwhelming hit of flavor.

2.76/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I really wanted to like this beer. I swear I remember it being better than it is this year, but perhaps not. It is WAY too thin and the flavors of pumpkin are far too subdued. I like the spices flavor but where is the pumpkin?? They need to improve the mouthfeel and cut the wateryness of this beer, add more pumpkin and then it'll live up to the hype! I got a coca-cola like flavor, which the people I was with also perceived. Very disappointed since I talked it up to my friends and it was a let down.

2.98/5  rDev -18.1%

Full disclosure: the youngest gal in our group liked it a lot. A near overdose of spice. Cinnamon and cloves in full force. Dark with a hint of charred malt. Decent rich mouthfeel, plenty of carbonation. Sweet and sour both with a little bitterness.

If we have a whole style devoted to one fruit (or vegetable) it would be nice if that was the flavor brewers worked with. Most of what I've tasted like this one, should be called Pumpkin Pie Spice ales.

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%

enjoyed at Moto in phoenix.

A: dark brown with an off-white head that fell quickly and left a ring around the edges of the beer.

S: nice roasty aroma, chocolate. Good amounts of pumpkin and spice. i get cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove.

T: a nice pumpkin flavor. also get nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove. there is a nice roasted malt flavor, chocolate, and it is a little sweet.

M: thinnish body with decent carb. i could definitely use some more body here.

O: this is a pretty good pumpkin beer that I would drink more of gladly.

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a regular pint glass. A deep and dark brown color. Highlights aren't much lighter in color, still pretty dark. Head was initially about a finger and is light brown in color. Lace doesn't stick at all.

Smell is of Autumn. Spicy and sweet with some roasted malts. Roasted coffee and a bit of bitter chocolate. Some nutmeg and cinnamon and allspice.

Taste is much like the smell. The roasted flavors come out first and then the taste of almost pumpkin pie. The flavors are all a bit thin, but great at that.

Mouth is a thin and watery. The carbonation is a bit on the low side. Not bad though.

Overall I enjoyed this, but like most pumpkin ales that I have had, I am not very impressed. Maybe not my style. Thanks to josssmith for bringing this growler up the hill.

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

A: almost black with ruby tinges coming in on edges.. thin head

S: pumpkin & nutmeg.. light graham cracker with some toasty malts.

M: pumpkin & nutmeg again upfront.. mid palate offers more spice flavors with some light pumpkin pie flavors.. finishes a bit roasty..

Mf: medium-big bodied with a creamy feel..

O: a different take on the pumpkin ale.. pretty good.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

First day of the early September release on Monday, September 19th. In previous years, this beer has been released at some point in October but because of the high demand, it is brought to the public early. Advertised at the brewery as 5.1% ABV if that is important.

A - Deep, dark brown with shades of mahogany when it's held up to light. A fluffy light brown head.

S - Not much to the nose. Some weak malt, a little spice.

T - Lightly roasted malt with spices dominating. Hints of pumpkin but more cinnamon, clove, and allspice. Every flavor improves as the beer warms. Especially the roasted malt. Enjoyable.

M - Medium body with a noticeable carbonation and a slight tingle. Feels like a porter but less of the lake water aftertaste that I find in most porters, which is a good thing. Recommended.

Edit: purchased a growler for Thanksgiving dinner...much improved. Tasty, easy-drinking, and went well with the meal.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Tastes are pumpkin, yams, sorghum, ale yeast, malt, pumpkin pie, spices, cabbages and strawberries. Smells like Thanksgiving in spritzer form and in a glass marked "Drink up". Only available in the fall months at Four Peaks. Keep that in mind.

3.2/5  rDev -12.1%

A - Dark, like Charlie Murphy dark, with a nice caramel colored head

S - Smells like a pumpkin spice and very sweet smell. By the smell alone you can tell this is not gonna be a beer you make a session drinker..

T - Malt and Pumpkin with a spice of nutmeg

M - Smooth, silky drink. Great mouthfeel.

D- This is definitely a beer you want to try, but don't order more than one. I'd also recommend literally just trying it. It has a flavor that is distint, but it don't expect this to be your average porter.

3.72/5  rDev +2.2%

A: black and almost completely opaque, though light crimson highlights shine through at the edges. A half-finger head the color of a latte and with the same creamy, frothy consistency becomes a thick ring and a filmy top layer after a minute.

S: pie crust. Sweet and well-spiced, with lots of cinnamon and some graham crackers. A little light, but enjoyable.

T: starts sweet, with cotton candy (a flavor I find sneaks into most of 4PBC's darker beers) and a tiny bit of pumpkin puree. The magic happens after the swallow: the roastiness invades, bringing flavors that remind exactly of pie crust. Graham crackers, dark chocolate and a bit of coffee. I could use more pumpkin, but the subdued roastiness along with the pie crust flavor is excellent.

M: light, fuzzy carbonation amidst a light, slightly watery body. Needs more oomph.

D: this beer seems to change a bit every year, and I'm really digging this year's iteration, despite the issues of mouthfell. One of my favorites from Four Peaks whenever it's available.

Pours completely black with a small tan head. Head falls to a minimal one. Smallest of lacing.

Aroma is of roasted malt with a heavily spiced background.

Nice pumpkin flavor. Spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. Bit roasted in the background.

Medium to full bodied. Lightly carbonated with a slight bite.

Decent seasonal brew.

3.76/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Extremely dark brown, almost black. The head is a half inch and very light tan.

S - Evidence that this beer has lost its average porter roots. It smells nothing like a porter.

T - Spicy with subtle pumkin over a base or roast malt. Not bad.

M - Subtle thickness with a soft and silky feel.

~ One and I'm done. I suggest you try this for a desert in mid to late fall.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast