Pumpkin Porter - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 120 | Reviews: 38
Reviews by aval89:
3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

A: almost black with ruby tinges coming in on edges.. thin head

S: pumpkin & nutmeg.. light graham cracker with some toasty malts.

M: pumpkin & nutmeg again upfront.. mid palate offers more spice flavors with some light pumpkin pie flavors.. finishes a bit roasty..

Mf: medium-big bodied with a creamy feel..

O: a different take on the pumpkin ale.. pretty good.

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured a deep brown, with a heavy orange tint and a one-finger tan head. It looks pretty good, though not as dark as most porters. Scents of pumpkin, spices and roast malt. Simple, more like a pumpkin ale than a porter. Flavors of prominent pumpkin, some slight sweet spices and chocolate, slight sweetness and very slight roast malt. The roasted flavors are more pronounced on the finish and aftertaste, however for a porter the roasted character is quite low. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and is quite smooth and creamy. Very nice and easy to drink, quite pleasant. Overall this is a good pumpkin beer, with the porter character helping it be better than most of it's kind. However I do wish there was a bit more porter in this pumpkin porter.

From the tap, thin dark brown. Pretty transparent when held to the light. Very small with head that disipated to nothing and left no lacing. Nose is sweet, some choclate, pumpkin, and even a touch of apple. The taste is almost closer to a brown ale than a porter. None of the real roasted flavors. Caramel, nutmeg, pumpkin seed, salt. Somewhat watery and sticky.

pours real good for a dark beer. taste is easy

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

A - Dark, like Charlie Murphy dark, with a nice caramel colored head

S - Smells like a pumpkin spice and very sweet smell. By the smell alone you can tell this is not gonna be a beer you make a session drinker..

T - Malt and Pumpkin with a spice of nutmeg

M - Smooth, silky drink. Great mouthfeel.

D- This is definitely a beer you want to try, but don't order more than one. I'd also recommend literally just trying it. It has a flavor that is distint, but it don't expect this to be your average porter.

2.3/5  rDev -38.5%

Draught @ Papago
The beers pours a translucent deep mahogany color, the head is portly in size, frothy in texture and the color a light tan, lace a thick and sealing sheet upon the glass. Sweet malt and light pumpkin aroma, fresh, and crisp, start has a thin malt profile that is somewhat sweet, top is cadaverous. Finish is astringent, hops AWOL, weak and watery with the aftertaste dry and way to long lasting, a “Total Loss” in my humble opinion, and I certainly expect more from this brewery.

Pours completely black with a small tan head. Head falls to a minimal one. Smallest of lacing.

Aroma is of roasted malt with a heavily spiced background.

Nice pumpkin flavor. Spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. Bit roasted in the background.

Medium to full bodied. Lightly carbonated with a slight bite.

Decent seasonal brew.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Good not great

2.67/5  rDev -28.6%

Pint glass on tap. The server says that people call looking for this beer and they only get a keg per week and that one keg is not enough.

A: Dark brown almost opaque. Little head and very little lacing.

S: Smells interesting enough. Big spice that reminds me of pumkin pie. Lots of clove and cinnamon. Smells like grandma's spices for pumpkin pie.

T: I wish the taste would follow smell. Starts out sweet and spicey like pumkin pie but turns sour like it was stale. Unpalatable.

M: Thin, not much there. Carbonated and leaves mouth slightly dry.

O: I can't get over that stale taste. Not a beer that I would have again. I couldn't even finish one and drank more than I could palate to write a review.

4.37/5  rDev +16.8%

Picked up a growler of this for Turkey day. The place was paced on Wednesday with people grabbing things for the weekend. The pumpkin flavor was much less pronounced than the pumpkin ales I have tried in the past. The roasted flavor of the porter pushed much of the pumpkin in to the background. Their oatmeal stout has a rather creamy feel to it, and the pumpkin seemed to go with it perfectly. The mouthfeel has an almost sticky quality to it. It is not a session beer, as after the first I was satisfied and wanted something different, but it was still quite enjoyable. I shared this with my non-beer obsessed family and got a number of favorable comments. The mildness of the flavor really seems to go over with people.

3.97/5  rDev +6.1%

On tap at the Frog n Firkin in Tucson. Pours pitch black with a smallish tan head. Aroma is dark roasted malt, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla. Flavors of dark roasted malt, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and a touch of brown sugar. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Quite a quaffable pumpkin porter and one I wouldn't mind having again.

Best Porter I've had. Just got a 64oz growler today, and I'm glad I did. Pours smooth and goes down the same. I'm not a beer snob, so I'm not into technical reviews, simply put this is a good Autumn beer. Now I'm ready to try Four Peaks Odelay Mexican Chocolate...

4.44/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this seasonal porter. I recently had it in both bottle form, as well as on tap at the Four Peaks brewery in Tempe, AZ. I fell in love with this. I purchased quite a number of pumpkin beers this season, and though I'm only half way through trying them all, this is my favorite thus far. Good solid pumpkin smell, and great smooth pumpkin flavor. Many pumpkins I've tried don't have a whole lot of the pumpkin or even pumpkin spice included as much as you'd think, though the heavier the better it appears. But this one was a great one for me.

3.81/5  rDev +1.9%

Just picked up a growler from the brewery. I didn't have an opportunity to pop it open the first two days so my experience is from the third day (recommended to drink in 72 hours). It pours dark with a beautiful tan head. A dark beer similar to the oatmeal stout offered on tap year round but the mouthfeel was decidedly light. I liked the spices which shone through in the taste. They were subtle but just enough to make you want more. The light pumpkin flavor was delicious. Needless to say, once I opened the growler it was gone within the hour. This is a great tasting beer but the mouthfeel and lack of a strong flavor left me wanting a little more.

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Full disclosure: the youngest gal in our group liked it a lot. A near overdose of spice. Cinnamon and cloves in full force. Dark with a hint of charred malt. Decent rich mouthfeel, plenty of carbonation. Sweet and sour both with a little bitterness.

If we have a whole style devoted to one fruit (or vegetable) it would be nice if that was the flavor brewers worked with. Most of what I've tasted like this one, should be called Pumpkin Pie Spice ales.

Photo of
3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

On Tap, 10/24/06 at Four Peaks in Scottsdale.

Dark brown in color, not quite opaque. Dark brown/orange coloring at edges. Medium sized tan head.

Aroma was very mild. Not much pumpkin. No hops. A faint nutty, caramel scent.

Taste was rather subtle as well. I did pick up pumpkin, but it was pretty faint. This beer was light in the pumpkin pie spice department as well, but I prefer it that way. Similar to the style of DFH Punkin Ale. Roast and faint coffee flavors were the primary event. A bit of hop bittering at the end - citrus style. Maybe a touch of smoke?

Medium bodied beer, with medium carbonation. Perceived as fairly thick in texture.

Overall, pretty good. I think I prefer DFH and I feel that the pumpkin was almost too subtle. Pretty easy to drink.

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%

This seasonal release has a big following and goes fast. The beer is a dark rich black color. It should really be called a pumpkin stout, not a porter. Has a distinctive roasted barley background behind the pumpkin spices. No real pumpkin flavor, just pumpkin pie spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice, etc. Thick head. Medium to full bodied. Easy to drink one, but two or more would wear on your taste buds.

3.72/5  rDev -0.5%

A: black and almost completely opaque, though light crimson highlights shine through at the edges. A half-finger head the color of a latte and with the same creamy, frothy consistency becomes a thick ring and a filmy top layer after a minute.

S: pie crust. Sweet and well-spiced, with lots of cinnamon and some graham crackers. A little light, but enjoyable.

T: starts sweet, with cotton candy (a flavor I find sneaks into most of 4PBC's darker beers) and a tiny bit of pumpkin puree. The magic happens after the swallow: the roastiness invades, bringing flavors that remind exactly of pie crust. Graham crackers, dark chocolate and a bit of coffee. I could use more pumpkin, but the subdued roastiness along with the pie crust flavor is excellent.

M: light, fuzzy carbonation amidst a light, slightly watery body. Needs more oomph.

D: this beer seems to change a bit every year, and I'm really digging this year's iteration, despite the issues of mouthfell. One of my favorites from Four Peaks whenever it's available.

2.76/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I really wanted to like this beer. I swear I remember it being better than it is this year, but perhaps not. It is WAY too thin and the flavors of pumpkin are far too subdued. I like the spices flavor but where is the pumpkin?? They need to improve the mouthfeel and cut the wateryness of this beer, add more pumpkin and then it'll live up to the hype! I got a coca-cola like flavor, which the people I was with also perceived. Very disappointed since I talked it up to my friends and it was a let down.

3.33/5  rDev -11%

Brown color, light around the edges, head is served soapy and not too tight at about an inch height. Retention is okay; not much lacing.

Spices on the nose, allspice and cardamom and cinnamon. A little bit of toasty, roasted malt.

The flavor is a little watery and one-sided; I wasn't impressed by the depth and complexity here. The spicing is prominent, with little input from malts, hops, or pumpkin.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

A friend of mine brought me back a fresh growler from the brewpub in Tempe. I've been there before, but always in the spring, so I've never had a chance to try their Pumpkin Porter. I'm definitely a pumpkin porter fan- I've always wondered why there aren't more of them (just a few that I've had)- the roasty, robust, slightly malty porter is the perfect foil for the silky pumpkin and the pie spices. I've even been known to get a good sixpack of porter and another of pumpkin beer and blend them myself. In any case, I was looking forward to trying this beer. It pours nicely enough, with a moderate head that leaves some lacing, and a nice very dark brown color for the beer itself. The aroma is more pumpkin and pie spice than it is porter. While those smells are pleasant, I'd like some more roastiness here for balance. The taste is quite light, and also lacks roasted notes and depth. There is some pleasant silkiness from the pumpkin and some nice pie spice, but these are light as well. Very smooth and light, this is a very easy drinking version of the style, but it lacks interest. A bit disappointing.

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Extremely dark brown, almost black. The head is a half inch and very light tan.

S - Evidence that this beer has lost its average porter roots. It smells nothing like a porter.

T - Spicy with subtle pumkin over a base or roast malt. Not bad.

M - Subtle thickness with a soft and silky feel.

~ One and I'm done. I suggest you try this for a desert in mid to late fall.

4.98/5  rDev +33.2%

This is the best porter I have had. Wish it was available all year! This comes out in mid September and I will be there the day they have it available. Comes in growlers, cans, or draft. Worth the wait! If you come to the Phoenix area in the fall this is a must try! Available at all the Four Peaks Brewery's and local bars from a keg. Once it is gone it is gone.

3.87/5  rDev +3.5%

64oz growler shipped on ice packs from the ever generous Tayner.

Served into a Four Peaks pint glass. When in Rome right?

Smell, quite chocolatey with that defining nutmeg kick. Faint molasses and chicory round it out.

Taste, Mmm mmm good. Quite a big hit from the chocolate malt, with a raisin-esque flavor flowing right beside it. Little in the way of hop flavor or aroma, but the nutmeg and cinnamon notes more than lend a hand keeping the malts in check. Nice notes of black currant and even a hint of spruce come through as well.

Overall, this has now become my second favorite Pumpkin Ale, Ever. Beautifully mastered, a subtle yet adventurous brew. A little thin for the body, but that could very well be from the carbonation.

3.57/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from can into pint glass:

A: Dark mahogany

S: Huge hints of clove, cinnamon and allspice

T: Slightly malty, huge spice notes

M: Thinner than most porters.

O: It's one of the most anticipated seasonal beers from Four Peaks. Each autumn the response from Phoenix area drinkers gets bigger and bigger for the Pumpkin Porter. The porter doesn't have the usual malty backbone that porters usually have. It is one of my more favorite Fall beers.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »