Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Kilt Lifter Scottish Style AleKilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Scottish Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: mzwolinski on 09-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale Alström Bros

review is for a can into a pint glass. however, I have had this beer in bottle, tap, growler, can and bourbon barrel aged.

Pours a maple syrup brown color, with medium bubbles and a decent off white head.

smell is toasted bread, pretzels, malt and scotch

taste is hard for me to describe, but I really like it. Sweet, malty, brown sugar, butter (especially in the bourbon barrel aged version), maybe some graham crackers.

mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated with the right amount of chew and great aftertaste with a great finish.

Overall, my go to beer. I know that I rated it as perfect, even though it's not, but I can't think of any major flaws. My biggest problem with it, if you can describe it as such, is that I can't figure out what it tastes like. It doesn't taste like most other scottish ales, it has much less smoke to me, but I can't really define it. And, a suggestion for those of you that can easily find this, try it with a splash of bourbon in your glass before your pour. It closely resembles the bourbon barrel aged version, and brings out flavors of both liquids very well. Also, it pairs great with lemon bars.

If you have never had this, go out of your way to try it!

4.89/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

12 oz can, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, semi-clear, deep, dark, amber/mahogany color with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic with lots of bready, toasted malt, imparting notes of freshly baked bread and biscuits, along with aromas of caramel, black pepper, honey, honey-suckle, heather, and touches of floral, grassy, hops.

Taste: Delicious! A serious malt bomb, with tons of toasted malt up front, flowed by lots of caramel and brown sugar, some black pepper, and finished with just a touch of floral, grassy, hops to round it all out. A malt-lover’s dream!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and nicely effervescent as there’s some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 6.0%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Four Peak’s Kilt Lifter is one of my favorite session beers. Malty, sweet, easy to drink, flavorful, satisfying and delicious! I love it!

4.48/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good beer; shared a pitcher with my friends at the brewery itself. Pours a beautiful red; head wasn't too remarkable. Very delicious; crisp and refreshing without being too bitter. Easy to down while being slightly stronger than the average beer. Four Peaks needs to step up its distribution beyond AZ!

4.47/5  rDev +22.1%

Color: Deep orange not unlike an unfiltered single malt Scotch.

Nose: Peat smoke, caramel, orange peel, floral hoppy notes, a general light fruitiness, bread dough and alcohol.

Taste: Very balanced flavors of caramel, sweet toasted grains, peat smoke and alcohol. Most importantly, the light smoke note rides through the whole thing from beginning to end. Hops don't jump out at you but add a light background of bitterness and mingle with the smoke.

Body: Light to medium.

Very drinkable, a staple.

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

On draft at the Tempe brewery
A- Clear brown amber hue, white creamy head with moderate lacing
S- Subtle bread malts, grains, pale malts, some roast and smoke
T- Biscuit and bread malts, hints of toffee, toast, smoke, and woody flavors, hints of sweetness throughout, finishes crisp and bitter
M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, moderate carbonation
D- Super scottish ale with big malt profile that is well-balanced and one of the most drinkable I've ever had, I probably drank this more than any other craft beer while I lived in Arizona, so I am a bit biased.

4.36/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Easy drinker for a Scott. Enjoyed multiple pints at the Biltmore in Phoenix. The bartender should be on the payroll as he moves about 25-30 pints a weeknight ... no complaints on my end .. seems justified.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Pours caramel with a 4 fingers+ tan head. Very good lacing & pretty good head retention

S: Sweet malt & caramel, with a hint of peat,

T: Big biscuitty malt & caramel then just a hint or 2 of peat up front. A little maple & toffee surfaces as it warms. Finishes dry, just a little peaty & a nice kiss of caramel

MF: Medium bodied, a little chewy, great subdued carbonation & good balance

Drank very easy, nice take on the style & loved the subltleness of the smokey peat flavor. Finding this & old monkey shine was the highlight of my trip to AZ!

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

While on a work trip to Tempe, AZ recently we tried Kilt Lifter by Four Peaks and loved it. Kilt Lifter goes well with traditional pub grub. It looks nice and smell nice as well. It has a very good drinkability. I would order Kilt Lifter again in the future.

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

I have really come to love the Scotch ale style. Four Peaks does a good rendition of this malty, rich tipple. Who knew a desert brewer could make this weighty style work. Maybe it was the fact that I had spent 8 plus hours hiking in the desert, maybe it was the wonderful desert air but this brew was silky, smooth, malty and delicious. This brew paired nicely with a chicken caesar...I was in heaven. rich deep brown color with notes of chocolate and caramel...a slice of heaven in a pint glass.

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into my trusty old Bandersnatch pint glass.

Appearance: The rust-colored beer is almost clear save for the many tiny rapidly rising bubbles. The head pours almost a finger and dissipates to a thin pale beige foam layer.

Smell: I think I smell a faint sweet citrus, maybe orange, and something like granola. Behind that is something more loamy. Intriguing and compelling.

Taste: the taste is a bit of molasses, the sweet orange, again, the granola grains, too. The finish lingers as a sort of tangy sweet.

Mouthfeel: a little more carbonation than I prefer, but I guess I could wait another ten minutes and give it another go. The beer is appropriately thick for the flavors.

Overall: I'm lucky to live in Arizona, with so many quality beers made in recent years. This one is the Four Peaks Flagship, I think, and deservedly so. To think I can buy 12-packs of this deliciousness at the QuickTrip on the way home, too. Hooray.

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great tasting beer. This seems to be the favorite at Four Peaks.

Terrific body to it and very smooth. Pairs really well with all their burgers if you ever get a chance to eat at Four Peaks.

Has a much bolder taste than most scottish ales.

If you find yourself at Four Peaks, this is a must order.

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

I picked up a six pack at a Sprouts in Phoenix, wanting to try a local beer (it's the only local I could find).
The taste was a little surprising at first. Smooth, with a little hoppy taste, and I could swear it even tasted a little citrusy. I didn't like that at first, but fruitiness was very underpowering. By the second beer I hardly noticed it, and by the third found it actually quite complimenting.
I'll by it again, if in the area, but I don't think I'd make it my regular beer (if I lived here)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

I'm actually not sure if you would classify this as an export ale. I did so because of the rather high ABV.

A Clean, light amber color with, surprisingly for the style, almost no head. The smell is malty sweets, hints of honey and smoke. Peat-smoked malt becomes more evident in flavor, but is balanced by flavor and bitterness of Kent Golding Hops. A medium bodied ale with a sweet (but not overly so) finish.

What can I say, it's not often you find a scottish ale at a brewpub. Apart from the absence of a head of any sort, which might have been due to bar glassware, this is a very solid beer. Tasty and drinkable.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Kiltlifter 4.5/4/4.5/4/4 on tap @ Tempe Brewery
Nice clear copper color.
Malty aroma.
Nice medium roasty malty flavor, solid hop support, maybe some smoky peat notes?
Mouthfeel is a bit thin, medium carbo.
A solid flagship offering even if a bit thin for the style. Reminds me of some nice ambers with a dash of smokyness. Seems pretty spot on for a lighter version of the style, which is welcomed by me as I am not big on Scottish Ales.

4.21/5  rDev +15%

I had this beer on tap in downtown Phoenix while on a trip for a concert. Must have drank about ten of them by the time the weekend was over. The taste is hard to describe, however I absolutely love it. Very packed with caramel and toffee notes with a smooth hop profile. I love this beer.

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance - Poured into a pint glass. Golden brown with a cream colored head. Very little carbonation. Good lacing throughout.

Smell - Smelled malty with a slight hint of nuts.

Taste - Tasted slightly =nutty upfront, as it warmed I detected a citrus taste in my mouth. Finished slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel - Smooth body that was almost a little watery. But I don't think that was a bad thing. I didn't think the body was as full as it claimed to be, but this didn't hinder things.

Drinkability - This is a very drinkable ale. I would recommend it to anyone looking to relax and enjoy good beer and good company.

This brew will likely be in one of my future sessions. I would like to thank my in-laws for picking this up on vacation in AZ.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Look: a bit more translucent than I'd expect, but a nice head, and a medium-dark amber color makes this pretty to look at.

Aroma: Interesting. Smokiness is apparent with a slight hoppiness in the back. Not overwhelming. It's a slight aroma, but not quite subtle. I would have expected a little stronger.

Taste: A bit creamy at first, not bitter at all, followed by a nice malty taste. The smokey flavor works in subtle ways, and is not overpowering at all. Flavors should work in concert with one another, and this does it quite well. A long finish makes this a joy.

Mouthfeel: Did I mention the creamy? That's a plus to me. However, it does feel a bit too flat on the palate. That's a negative, but not a big one here.

Drinkability: yes, very much so. A definite recommendation.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Attractive copper color, with nice consistency. Tan colored head, good retention. Sweet malty aroma. Could be imagining things but I think I smell a little caramel. Taste has nice hoppiness at finish. This medium bodied beer has a clean crisp feel, very enjoyable. One of the most drinkable beers I've had.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Lovely orange copper color with good clarity and finger and a half of khaki foam that fell off to a bit of lacing. Nose is malty sweetness, some toasty bread crust and a bit of treacle. Treacle is a sweet syrupy scent that does not resemble a fruit. it's light enough to be truly tempting. A touch fo grass and some earthy hops whisper to you. Taste is lovely.l Toasty malt, sweet and brilliantly light to the palate. There is a fruity background to this beer that I find very pleasant in scotch ales. It's light fruity and permeates the drink without taking the fanfare away from the smooth malt. Mouthfeel is lovely and fullish but creamy and dry. Decidedly malt finish with a depth that is jovial and clean. One of the better scotch ales I have tired.

Thank you Kerry4porters for the chance to try this beer.

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

A- poured just as brown as the bottle it came out of. Off white 1/2" head, decent rentention and lacing.

S- scents of sweet toasted malts (maybe a bit roasted), with hints of dloral hops, some slight smokey aromas perhaps.

T- Sweet caramel flavor malts, but not overly sweet or sugary by any means. Hop are present but hidden in taste until the aftertaste, then they come through.

M- smooth, rich, felt almost creamy at times.

D- Very tasty, but the flavors in here are too sweet to be sessionable. Maybe keep this one a round, if not, it is a treat to have every now and then.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #55 (August 2011):

Russet amber color; bubbly head reaches high. Sweet toasted malt aroma of brown bread, doughy biscuits and treacle. No doubt this brew has some body to it—the smoothness runs just as deep as the body is thick. Full malt jacket wraps around the taste buds with toasted, sweet and grassy flavors. Hops in the back stay in the back, even while providing some balance. Sweet malty finish with a hint of alcohol. This malt bomb kills it, brewed to style, and is quite quaffable for the body size and strength.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Slightly hazy, color was orange-light amber with an off-white head that poured like it was very carbonated. Head dissipated slowly but wasn't terribly rocky or dense. Aroma was mildy malty, perhaps a bit underwhelming. Flavor was great - malty sweet, maybe even a bit too sweet - the malt character struck me as perhaps non-Scottish (different than like Golden Promise), but good, and indeed the label said its North American malt. No matter - this is tasty and delicious. Mere touch of hops keeps it from being cloying. Nice full body and high drinkability. Thanks Secret Santa 2004 nvsblman!

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

A- Nice caramel brown with a quickly dissapating head

S- Malty caramel with nutmeg

T- Joy, taste like joy. also, the exact opposite of a super hopped out beer. It was great

M- not too watery, smooth and doesn't leave a bitter taste in your mouth.

D- easy to drink, the exact opposite of hoppiness

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

I'm liking this one more and more as I drink them. The first one didn't impress me too much. Pours a light orange with about a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet malt and a hint of hops. Like I said, the first one didn't impress me, but I'm really partial to darker stouts and porters. This one took a bit of getting used to, but I'm really starting to enjoy it. The flavor is a really sweet malty, bready flavor, A hint of bitterness, which I take for the 6% alcohol. It also has a really subtle smokey flavor which I think must be the peat that people have mentioned. It has a fairly large amount of carbonation, but I think it fits this one. I'm enjoying it, and if it's still early, I'll have another. I work tomorrow...

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz bottle poured into a little hotel water glass.

Looks brown amber, with little or no head. Fair amount of active carbonation, but almost no retention. Smell is mild, muted, smokey-ish.

Taste is quite nice. Fresh, but still rich malts and peaty flavor. Surprisingly refreshing.

Mouthfeel is thickish and slightly sticky. Overall, I'm glad I picked it up.

Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery